Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

West Ham Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

West Ham have signed Portugal Under-19s defender Goncalo Cardosa from Boavista for a reported £2.7m

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49256641

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

what's the story with Hernadez and Sanchez, can The Hammers get them out of the club or do they have a role?
    Still think that youse need 1 more midfielder as youse are 1 injury away from being bare bones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

what's the story with Hernadez and Sanchez, can The Hammers get them out of the club or do they have a role?
    Still think that youse need 1 more midfielder as youse are 1 injury away from being bare bones.

I reckon they had someone in mind when they sold Obiang. Can't imagine they were relying on Wilshire staying fit for a season (even with Noble as backup)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Fabianski passed fit for Saturday ðŸ‘

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Fabianski passed fit for Saturday ðŸ‘

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Personally I'd keep hernandez as playinh him up top on his own was never his game so he never got a fair crack of the whip if we are in trouble this year throw him on and go 2 up front we will see him in a better light imo. Strange to give him the number 9 and then look to offload him. Sanchez can go tho we need better cover in defensive mid

seems the hammers are after yet another striker

£8m rated Albian Ajeti

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49264869

Fairly reliable WH twitter source is saying we’re looking to take Calum Chambers from Arsenal (presumably a season loan)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Source on that one? Haven't seen that name mentioned all window.

Looks like Ajeti is done an dwillbe announced tomorrow and Ascacibar is a possibility but unlikely.

Drinkwater also mentioned on KUMB but surely not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Does it look like Ben Johnson will start the season at right back?.....wondering from a FF perspective......thanks for any thoughts from Hammers fans.

• Advertisement

Does it look like Ben Johnson will start the season at right back?.....wondering from a FF perspective......thanks for any thoughts from Hammers fans.

Not regularly fredriks was back last week he will be first choice any injury which he is prone to could see Johnson step in

£8m rated Albian Ajeti

Done deal.

Not sure why they wasted 8 million on him when there is an abundant of strikers at the club, with haller, fornals, antonio, yarmolenko, , anderson and hernandez

Done deal.

Not sure why they wasted 8 million on him when there is an abundant of strikers at the club, with haller, fornals, antonio, yarmolenko, , anderson and hernandez

Can't really say it's wasted without having seen him play a minute? Antonio can deputise for a short period but apart from hernandez and haller we don't have a 3rd striker young silva is having pretty bad health problems from what I've read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Done deal.

Can't really say it's wasted without having seen him play a minute? Antonio can deputise for a short period but apart from hernandez and haller we don't have a 3rd striker young silva is having pretty bad health problems from what I've read

Plus, Haller is big and strong, and apparently very good at holding play for a second striker, depending on the formation. Hernandez blows hot and cold, so a youngster snapping at his heels for a place would be no bad thing.

He looks pretty damn good for 8 million as well.

Done deal.

Not sure why they wasted 8 million on him when there is an abundant of strikers at the club, with haller, fornals, antonio, yarmolenko, anderson and hernandez
    8m is pocket change these days. If he's great, he'll be a bargain, if he's useless, it's not gonna bankrupt the club.

And really, only Haller anc Chicharito are strikers from those you left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

£8m rated Albian Ajeti

Done deal.

Only 2 of the players you listed are strikers. Haller and Hernandez. The rest are midfielders or wingers. An additional striker makes sense.

I rather the money went on a defender

I rather the money went on a defender
    I feel your pain. With some fivers found at the ends of the sofa, some tough choices had to be made. We desperately need to shore up defense (particularly bad is left back/winger). But Pellegrini is concentrating on his attack philosophy of "score more than concede", rather than build on defense. It's a gamble, and makes for great entertainment (which for Hammer supporters means loose bowels), but to progress we really do need to score way more goals than in the past- with the risk of an improved but still shaky defense.

Pretty decent window for The Hammers, Defo needed that big striker up top. They appear to have added some nice depth to the squad and Fornals could prove to be an inspired signing. I would have liked youse to have signed another midfielder as I think youse are one injury away from being bare bones there and as an arsenal fan I know how frustrating Jack's injuries can be. Would love to see him stay fit and fulfill his undoubted potential !!!

• Advertisement

I know how frustrating Jack's injuries can be. Would love to see him stay fit and fulfill his undoubted potential !!!
    He had the best overall ratings for the Hammers in the pre-season friendlies.

I put little stock in friendlies though.

liverpool has awful results in friendlies for example and there is no way they will not have another good season...unfortunately

I put little stock in friendlies though.

liverpool has awful results in friendlies for example and there is no way they will not have another good season...unfortunately

I don't think anyone puts much stock in friendlies of any sort in terms of season predictors tbh; they are generally a way of testing match fitness, and tinkering with formations and positions in them. Point is, Jack Wilshere could be the surprise player of the team, if he can have long spells being injury free. Not only did he show great talent towards the end of last season, but has more recently shone brightest in the lead-up games.

He's only £5 million in Fantasy Football, so I couldn't resist including him in my team!

He had the best overall ratings for the Hammers in the pre-season friendlies.

Hopefully it continues that way

Grady diangana leaves the hammers for west Brom

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

Grady diangana leaves the hammers for west Brom

He wouldn't have had many first team opportunities so it's a good move! This is potentially the most talented West Ham team I've ever seen, I'm so excited for the new season.

• Advertisement

Predictions for season finish?

7th is certainly possible, all things considered, but I really do have higher hopes. I'm gonna nail my colours to the mast and say 6th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I don't think anyone puts much stock in friendlies of any sort in terms of season predictors tbh; they are generally a way of testing match fitness, and tinkering with formations and positions in them. Point is, Jack Wilshere could be the surprise player of the team, if he can have long spells being injury free. Not only did he show great talent towards the end of last season, but has more recently shone brightest in the lead-up games.

He's only £5 million in Fantasy Football, so I couldn't resist including him in my team!

He played 389 minutes last season - almost all before September so the only talent he showed was picking splinters out of his arse

He played 389 minutes last season - almost all before September so the only talent he showed was picking splinters out of his arse
    We all know he is injury prone. I'm looking forward to watching him, coz he is a talent- the proof will be in the pudding.

Not the point if injury free he is an England class midfielder he worked all through the summer to build fitness and strength to try and stay if it happens we are onto a winner.

On the predictions I do think ourselves and Leicester are the 2 capable of pushing the top 6 and well united and Chelsea are very much a guessing game this year so there is potential there. I just want a good cup run still annoyed at going out so early last year felt we should have put more into it. Top 8 and a semi final would be another step in the right direction but we have the attacking talent to push top 6 imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭pjmn

7th is certainly possible, all things considered, but I really do have higher hopes. I'm gonna nail my colours to the mast and say 6th.

.. ahh you have to be more optimistic than that - I have a whole €5 on them at 600/1 to win the Premiership :D

• Advertisement

money wise, capacity wise, even squad wise , on paper 7th or even 6th sounds plausible

however as a hammers fan for decades i have learned things dont work out that way.
    i enjoyed the days of McAvennie and cottee which them saw in with a chance of winning the league, I was there for the relegations and the heartbreaks
    even remember that whisky nosed scottish prick ferguson berate the hammers for stopping them winning the league, when he openly stated it "was obscene they tried so hard" after it cost them the league and leeds won the title.

the scottish asshole thought because the hammers were relegated they therefore should have rolled over.

Like wise a couple of years later when ludek in one of his best games stopped the mancunians winning it again and blackburn won the league.

Any longterm hammers fan knows, with west ham, you just dont know what you get, could we do a leicester and win the league, or bomb completely and implode and get relegated....this is always part of being a hammers fan

Generally we aint mid table monotonous ****ers, with the hammers it almost always comes fown to the finals games of the season, be it going for europe, or relegation, in parts that what made some of the recent seasons so boring as we were mid table going nowhere

10th place finish - as Justin Credible said, that's just life as a WHU fan.

Also prediction that Carroll will bang in 14/15 goals this season including at least 2 against us.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Ludo wrote: »
    10th place finish - as Justin Credible said, that's just life as a WHU fan.

Also prediction that Carroll will bang in 14/15 goals this season including at least 2 against us.
    And see the same Newcastle fans who, bizarrely, threw streams of abuse at him every time he played against them chant his name if he does bang them in.

I genuinely do wish him well. He does want to play and was absolutely excellent for us whenever he did (briefly) return to full fitness. I just feel that he is physically incapable of playing at the highest level anymore. I can't see that changing at Newcastle.

Still confident after that awful showing ?

when you lose 4-0 at home and the scoreline could have been far worse

ehh...0-5...did you lose count :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

It was worse :D
    The most difficult home game out of the way. Like last season the most difficult away game was first up. How we do won't be determined by how we do against City or Liverpool.

Confident, no. Still hopeful?- yes. 1st game of season against an even stronger title-winning team; only a little worse than I expected. Next 4 matches should allow Fornals and Haller to adjust.

Ludo wrote: »
    ehh...0-5...did you lose count :-)

typo, and thats not counting the one not given that was very close..

West Ham level on points with Chelsea, with goal difference of just 1 goal!

It's all about perspective.:D

Pellegrini's attack philosophy and the left back/winger position

https://www.football.london/west-ham-united-fc/transfer-news/masuaku-vs-cresswell-west-ham-16747969

• Advertisement

a deserved win today, and a brace for haller with an overhead volley.

Lucky not to have been losing at end of first half; always inferior to Watford's fast pace and passing; as usual left back exposed- but Balbuena on the bench for Ogbonna? Second half, passing was much better, and the game fizzed. Yarmolenko did pretty good, and was replaced by Antonio, with a very good display.
    Fornals looks like he's having trouble adjusting, and is still sub/being subbed, but definitely shows promise.
    Haller, back from his baptism of fire with Man City, and an injury, didn't get much of the ball, but when he did....

after Haller got off the mark Saturday, Wiltshire and Fornals got off the mark last night against a Newport side.

I know its only Newport, but better for players to get that first goal before it becomes a problem.

!0 changes to the squad, all be it not surprising

Managed to watch the game, but didn't have time to post until now.
    Against a 2nd division team, the game was literally a stroll in the park- except for the Antonio the sprinter, who pulled up with a hamstring after about 7 minutes. Anderson came on for him and looked pretty good- there was one slide-rule pass that was sublime; worth trying to find in on Youtube or something. Wilshire, even before he scored, was man of the match. Fornals played full match, broke his duck from a pass by...Wilshere (a colleague of mine a Luton fan, told me Wilshire started off at Luton where he was called Wheelchair because of his constant injuries).
    Balbuena back for that donkey Ogbonna, Carlos Sanchez played full game- not bad. Roberto in goal; made a good reflexive save after Conor Coventry came on for Wilshere with 10 minutes to go; Coventry blindly turned just out of box and got robbed. Zabaleta at fault for Newport nearly scoring; left right back wide open; strolled back- didn't even jog.
    Ajeti up front for full match; didn't see much of the ball tbh, but looked sharp enough.
    With the team that was in it, good passing football attempted without really breaking a sweat, while giving full matches for Fornals and Sanchez and Ajeti.

Can't believe they were doubting him over the summer. Puts us in the lovely position of having our core important players tied into long contracts

only problem is the contract only means the club could get good money if he throws a hissyfit, does not mean the player intends to stay.

Look at payet or anoutovic and the countless other glory hunting dicksplashes who in the past signed contracts they had no intention of seeing out or even close to seeing out.

solid performance today.

Could have scored 5 or more if not for the great performance of the norwich keeper, and also had a clear penalty shout turned down.

3 wins in 8 days

Anderson stole the show.
    Ducks broken; Haller's first Olympic stadium goal, Yarmelenko's first for a year (after his terrible injury).
    The midfield as a whole played so well together that the initialy dangerous-looking Norwich were quickly snuffed out in attack for virtually the whole match, and the donkey Ogbonna was hardly called upon. Masuaku also had good midfield help, so was very effective as winger.
    The assured build-up play of the last 3 games, with great footwork and passing, should be carried on with the Villains, and then, hopefully Man U.
    COYI!

• Advertisement

Hernandez leaving...pity it didnt work out. Does leave up a bit light up front withAntonkioout so hopefully Haller or Ajeti don't get injured.

But onward and upward. Good solid start to season. Lanzini and Anderson are having looking great so far.

Advertisement