Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

West Ham Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Defensively, Hammers much better this season, so with Fabianski out probably til after Xmas (and Roberto very dodgy), the obvious thing would be to double down on defense. But Pelligrini's attack philosophy might be to press ahead. So instead of going for safety of defense and settling for draws, he might gamble on going for sacrificing defense for attack (with the old adage of 'attack is the best form of defense'). With Yarmolenko in fine form, and Fornals starting to improve (slowly), it might be the better option.
    https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/11826372/pellegrini-west-ham-in-european-hunt
    The Palace game should be a test of this; boring boring, or attack attack. If it's the latter, which it seems to be (whether or not we score), a clean sheet means something very positive. If it's the former, and we still concede, we're in trouble.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Looking at our fixtures, the next proper dodgy fixture isn't until Spurs in late November. If we are really serious about European football next year we should be in and around the top 4 by then.
    Mid table mediocrity it is then.

Result was depressing, given the context. Only saw the first half, and highlights later. First 1/2 hour was terrible for both teams; last 15mins of 1st half Hammers finally came to life, but squandered 2 clear-cut chances. Palace weren't great,, and the 2 goals were unfortunate rather than terrible play by the Hammers, though Roberto is a flapper.
    Haller proving his worth, but he's just not getting the ball enough. I'm starting to think 2 up front might be the way to go.
    Hopefully this game was just a blip in the overall improvement of the team, because the standard top 7 are less impressive this season, which we should capitalise on. Others around us can smell blood as well though; we need to start getting far more aggressive and direct in attack; the tactic of crossing from the wings with one up front is a one-trick pony that can be too easily snuffed out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

a game they should have won and lost.

Happens to all teams at times, like city against wolves today, but west ham do it more often than others

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

Supporting West Ham teaches a valuable lesson in life, never get your hopes up or aim too high, it'll only end in disappointment!

The Jman wrote: »
    Supporting West Ham teaches a valuable lesson in life, never get your hopes up or aim too high, it'll only end in disappointment!
    True. The West Ham way of Life; keep your expectations low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

They fly so high, nearly reach the sky, then like our dreams, they fade and die

west ham back to the chokers we have all come to expect.

Its the hope that kills you

• Advertisement

Dismal.
    It says something when the best player for the hammers was Ogbonna (he was pretty good, tbh).
    The overall impression was a team with no confidence, which is hard to fathom, given the general trajectory. Ball control was poor, passing was terrible (again). With the usual formation with Haller up front, it beggars belief he had little of the ball, which he was poor with when he got it. Ajeti came on with 20 mins to go, but made little impact even with 2 up front, but the malaise was already evident. Roberto was average enough, though was at fault for the bad angle in closing down Barnardo's maestro wizardous solo effort; and powerless in response to nobody's closing down of Sigurdsson fantasic solo effort. Rice, strangely, was more or less anonymous. Second half started off better with Yarmelenko replacing Anderson at half-time, but this didn't last long. 2 nil down at half time flatters the West Ham performance, which includes a disallowed Everon goal (of 2 disallowed) that I still can't fathom. If I was to grasp at straws, I'd put the dismal performance down to Rice's haircut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭pjmn

west ham back to the chokers we have all come to expect.

Its the hope that kills you

100% agree

Rice and Andeerson are having awful seasons. Really regressed.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Rice and Andeerson are having awful seasons. Really regressed.
    Anderson more cold than hot this season, but I'd say Rice's performance has
    been consistently very good, until today.

Didn't see the game yesterday but it was a very disappointing result. Sounds like we had some good chances to get a second, hopefully we can be a bit more clinical in future. It's kinda sad that with all the attacking talent we have it's Snodgrass that we had to rely on for a goal!!

Didn't see the game yesterday but it was a very disappointing result. Sounds like we had some good chances to get a second, hopefully we can be a bit more clinical in future. It's kinda sad that with all the attacking talent we have it's Snodgrass that we had to rely on for a goal!!
    Sad, frustrating, hard to fathom etc. Snodgrass started, and was very good, and Rice was back on top form.

I don't think 4-1-4-1 is cutting it. Haller has hardly got the ball in the last 4 matches. 2 up front needs to be tried, even though Ajeti probably isn't up to speed yet, but if the sole target man is easily marked out....
    Fornals needs to come on a lot quicker as well; he's starting to brighten up the game when he comes on, proving to fit in well with Haller.

• Advertisement

october and already written off the season......just like last year then

agree - we need someone up with Haller, he spent most of his time battling against 3 defenders... there were 3 pts there for the taking - Rice did well as did Snoddy... reckon Fabianski would have saved their effort...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Terrible game overall. Good few chances but players seemed afraid to have a go when going through on goal.

Rice cleaned up everything. Easily the stand out player on the day. Snodgrass the only attacking player looking to try things... then got hooked off!
    Noble completely anonymous and Anderson didn't look interested.

Felt sorry for Haller being isolated up front. At one stage he was doing a left back job to get involved in the action while Cresswell was wandering out of position!

Roberto has to go ... defenders had zero confidence in him. Number of occasions Diop was shepherding the ball back to him only to look up to see keeper rooted to the line, and then a big scramble to clear the ball as the attackers were closing in. His distribution seems to have improved since I saw him last but overall he shouldn't be anywhere near a team.

A little bit of hope at start of 2nd half, after such a dismal first half. I had thought that Ajeti and Lanzini had to come on at the restart, and they did. Fredericks will have to come on for Zabeleta, and not 10 minutes from end. Roberto amazingly keeping the game from being cricket scores.

What was just an annoyance has actually turned into something more worrying. We're dropping like a stone against relatively poor teams.

• Advertisement

this is the west ham I am used to.

I am sure I am deep down a masochist

shocking today....:(

Dunno

Second half played like first half should have; I'm increasingly getting exasperated by Pelligrini. His formations and tactics are as if he has a Man City team, rather than playing to the strengths of what he has, and where one up front just isn't working. The only thing consistent about the team of late has been poor passing; a manager should be getting more out of a decent enough team.
    Coulda/shoulda been 5-0 down at half time, which justified the boos; by full time the stadium was literally half empty, though it did get kinda exciting after 3-1. No idea whatsoever why Zabaleta started; Balabuena and Diop still getting reacquainted- not helped by the gaps Zabaleta was leaving. Anderson poor in first half, and Rice overwhelmed on his own.
    It seems other managers are able to exploit Pelligrini's initially successful system at the start of this season. Unless he can adapt, we're fooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Dear oh dear....where to now? Not sure what the answer is to be honest but this is embarrassing.

I said two weeks ago the season was over, hoping, just hoping I would be wrong.
    No chance of that now

I said two weeks ago the season was over, hoping, just hoping I would be wrong.
    No chance of that now

Well you might be wrong. Season is only really over if we are stuck in mid-table obscurity. We are heading rapidly for a relegation scrap so at least that will be interesting :(

Really didn't see that coming this season...but I should know better at this stage of my life.

we do it to ourselves.
    Its the hope that crushes us.

Deep down we must all be masochists

Looks like a relegation battle from here on - Spurs and Chelsea up next... :(

We're better than this, we have to be. There's real talent in that squad yet we seem to have forgotten how to play football! We need a good win in the next game or 2 to get the confidence back.

• Advertisement

Was expecting a helping hand from the referee to get them back into it, even with VAR.
    Looking at our fixtures, the next proper dodgy fixture isn't until Spurs in late November. If we are really serious about European football next year we should be in and around the top 4 by then.
    Made this post 2 months ago. Haven't won since :pac:

We will definitely be looking for an emergency loan deal if Fab is crocked. Roberto is awful. Have a look at the goals from Oxford last week, he didn't even dive for any of the goals. Nowhere near the standard.
    Made this post 5 weeks ago. Haven't won a game or kept a clean sheet since :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

When we beat United we had a few chances of win and we will be in the top 4. 6 games later we have 2 more points and in freefall.. Roberto is absolutely brutal but he's not the only problem. Something needs to change I'm not part of the pellegrini out brigade but it's still worrying. Need to get some support up with haller he's going to start getting annoyed soon enough and I wouldn't blame him so so isolated every game

Pellegrini has faced calls to change his 4-2-3-1 formation after six games without a win but so far he has been reluctant to do so.
    It looks like Spurs will have Pelligrini's usual formation, but here's an interesting predicted formation change for West Ham, albeit with the claim it won't stop Pelligrini being sacked afterwards:

https://www.footballexpert.com/prediction/west-ham-vs-tottenham-23-nov-2019

https://www.bbc.com/sport/live/football/50091731

Oh dear. What was Einstein's definition of stupidity?

495936.png

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I can't understand why he went with Roberto again.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Apparently, and ironically for the game that's in it, Pochettino is available.:pac:

Benitez incoming....

Ludo wrote: »
    Benitez incoming....

relegation incoming

• Advertisement

Ludo wrote: »
    Benitez incoming....

Sign him up before Everton or Arsenal go manager shopping

I'm now glad I work in retail and miss most of our games!! I'm broke,fat,ugly and the team I support is useless, somebody give me a can so I can drown my sorrows!

Beat Chelsea in Stamford Bridge with Lampard as manager. That'll fcuking do!!!

Beat Chelsea in Stamford Bridge with Lampard as manager. That'll fcuking do!!!

aye and alvin martins kid making a promising debut.

I was expecting a loss, but happy with that result, could be huge

Wasn't expecting that result, how happy am I? :D

Away to Gillingham in the FA Cup third round. Potentially dodgy.

• Advertisement

15th in League one, you'd take that all day

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

15th in League one, you'd take that all day

Not really, we always struggle against these teams, Wimbledon last year, Wigan the year before, got tonked by Forest a few years ago, I was at the game we lost 4-0 to West Brom. The only Premier League clubs to knock us out recently are the two Manchester clubs. We might beat them 5-0 we lose 5-0, you just never know what's going to happen with West Ham.

any team is dodgy when it comes to the hammers :D

Are the Amazon Prime matches available in Ireland?

Probable line-up for tonight:

496818.png

2/12 ago- apart from the untested Martins- with a rejuvenated Cresswell and surprisingly solid Ogbonna, this line-up would have been a strong one with a lot of positive expectations. Now? Obviously the worry is that last week was merely a hiccup in the dismal decline after such a strong start, but hopefully was the jolt needed to re-energise the team.
    Haller up front on his own is just too easy to snuff out though. I'd liked to see Ajeti alongside him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement