Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

West Ham Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

That's what he can do! When he puts his mind to it.
    We really love scoring belters of overhead kicks against Palace.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

That's what he can do! When he puts his mind to it.

Makes it more frustrating.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Gonna be a long night. Zero pace with both Haller and Noble playing. Won't be getting anything out of this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

An abysmal first half except for the quick free kick.

I think they are there for the taking if we went for it and took the initiative.

What an awful display. Chelsea were there to be beaten but we just didn't perform at all. Way too easy for them.

Everything was too slow

We really need a fit Antonio back, Or a new striker with pace and/or who can hold up the ball. Haller can do neither and is just not suited to our "style" at all. I really did want him to work out but don't think it ever will now. May as well cut our losses and move on.

So Haller starts again as we have no other option up front. Funnily enough, I have a sneaky suspicion that he will bag a couple today.

ugh...just noticed Noble starts. Disappointing to say the least. No pace again.

I see we've reverted to being sh!te again. This and the Chelsea and Palace games were opportunities to actually cement our place in the top half and actually give ourselves half a chance at an excellent finish, possibly in the top 4. But in true West Ham fashion, we appear to have utterly messed that up and we'll be left with the usual mediocrity come the end of the season.

VAR has gone beyond a joke at this point. We score from an accidental handball and it's disallowed yet we've conceded two similar goals since then which have been given. Evidently, the main thing that VAR considers is whether West Ham have benefitted from the handball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

normally I stand up for moyes but he picked the wrong team today. Too defensive against a team we're better than. I'll take a draw considering how we played but it should have been a win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Why was Jarod Bowen taken off at h/t?
    Playing poorly,injured or was Moyes just rotating squad?

Thanks for any replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

Why don't we get yellow cards anymore? this upsets me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭pjmn

Shocking selection from Moyes to start the game, gone very negative for the last three games... ��

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Missed the first half, but apparently it was terrible, second half was lively enough. Delighted Johnson broke his duck; played well, and looks a solid player. Rice was uncharacteristically below par. Good to see Lanzini back on form in a full match, similarly with Yarmolenko. Surely Yarmolenko should be playing up front instead of Haller at his stage while Antoniio is out, though it seems Moyes has got his formation set, and is just tinkering now, as seems little point aiming for 6th spot at end of season, and confident there's enough there to avoid relegation,

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Start of the season, with pretty much no transfers, and everyone around us strengethening, coming off a season where we finished 16th, I thought we'd struggle badly this year. Then when you look at the opening fixtures, I thought we'd be bottom at Halloween: Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Leicester, Everton, Wolves and Newcastle to start. 8 points from that is better than I'd expected, now the fixtures turn into the bottom half teams for Nov/Dec, we'll see if we really are better than these teams:
    Fulham (h)
    Sheffield United (a)
    Aston Villa (h)
    Man Utd (h)
    Leeds (a)
    Crystal Palace (h)
    Chelsea (a)
    Brighton (h)
    Southampton (a)

15 points from those 9 games would have us set up well
    Bang on the money.
    Though more than a bit disappointed that we managed 12 points from the first 5 games but only 3 from the remaining 4. Think Moyes went to the other extreme this evening. It was possibly a game to be more defence minded. But a draw away isn't a bad result. Hopefully Antonio is back to full fitness sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement

Awful game. Antonio would be perfect for it if we can get him on soon to replace Haller who now needs to be sent off to Wolves or whoever will take him. Surely there is someone in the U23 squad who could be tried instead of Haller. Could not be any worse.

Ludo wrote: »
    Awful game. Antonio would be perfect for it if we can get him on soon to replace Haller who now needs to be sent off to Wolves or whoever will take him. Surely there is someone in the U23 squad who could be tried instead of Haller. Could not be any worse.

I can see Haller throwing a tantrum if he gets taken off early

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I think overall Haller is not good enough. He does have a great first touch and I wonder if this could be used better. He may need someone with him. We've looked well attacking and the defense has been great also. Can't get a shot but hopefully Antonio will change that.

OK he didn't have a tantrum! :pac:

This could be a great win if we can hang on to it.....

• Advertisement

Safe, but bOring. Definitely looking like keeping solid shape as premium, with tinkering around with personnel, with Europe not a prospect, and relegation unlikely. Maybe towards end of season, caution might be thrown to wind. Kinda looked like plan all along was to step up tempo all round when Antonio came on. Not surprised Soucek the one to score; seems to push forward a lot, and has the skill.

Delighted with that win. We look a lot more solid these days in defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭pjmn

Thrilled with those three points - will admit I'd have settled for a point before the game started... COYI's

Lads,

Have you realised that we have yet to concede a goal this year?

Yet to lose a game and have a 100% record?

Title challenging form surely?!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Great win, Ogbonna was man of the match for me and credit to Dawson with another good performance.

Soucek is an absolute beast!

Sebastian Haller set to join Ajax for 25 million !!!

Sebastian Haller set to join Ajax for 25 million !!!

Good. It should free up a fair bit of wages for a decent replacement.

Arnautovic :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Arnautovic can fcuk off

I think Moyes will be looking for an Antonio injury-replacement player, so will probably go for a cheap stand-in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I think Moyes will be looking for an Antonio injury-replacement player, so will probably go for a cheap stand-in.

The problem is that the Antonio stand-in will still likely be needed for 15 league games a year.

I'd love Arnoutovic back

I'd take Arnie back now also. We need a decent striker and we know he can do it. He would have a point to prove also I think and would be up for it.

If the squad are happy to have him back (and they do seem to be), then do what is best for the team to get results regardless of history.

If Haller leaves then we have no striker options at all other an injury-prone Antonio. There must be a replacement lined up if they are letting him leave.

Snodgrass meant to be joining West Brom.

We are supposed to be interested in Jesse Lingard and Strasbourg midfielder Jean-Ricner.

Abdullah Sima is a young senegalese forward who plays Slavia Prague that we are looking at too.

We really need a forward badly with Haller going

Ludo wrote: »

Good for all really, didn't look like he was gonna cut it at WH, gives us funds hopefully to source a replacement. Talks of Dembele (ex Celtic one) from Lyon.

Haller isn't going to be too hard to replace. I think Haller may have been OK but really not suited to football under Moyes, I think he needed another player up top with him. He has a fantastic first touch, but I found his unwillingness to run really frustrating. I think you should run after balls you might not get to, he wouldn't run after balls he'd probably get to.

Haller isn't going to be too hard to replace. I think Haller may have been OK but really not suited to football under Moyes, I think he needed another player up top with him. He has a fantastic first touch, but I found his unwillingness to run really frustrating. I think you should run after balls you might not get to, he wouldn't run after balls he'd probably get to.
    I was disappointed we never got a run with him and Antonio together. Haller's best ever season was when he played up top with Jovic, who was similar build, workrate to Antonio. Big man with a shorter terrier that did the running. That season in Frankfurt Haller scored 15 and Jovic 17.

Snodgrass to WBA now also confirmed:

https://twitter.com/WBA/status/1347558849650315266

Best of luck to him. Decent player.

Gave 100%, sorry to see him go.

• Advertisement

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Good for all really, didn't look like he was gonna cut it at WH, gives us funds hopefully to source a replacement. Talks of Dembele (ex Celtic one) from Lyon.

Dembele is supposed to have said he doesn't want to join West Ham

I don't follow European football much, so found this helpful:

https://www.90min.com/posts/west-ham-striker-targets-to-replace-sebastien-haller-ranked

It's another article mentioning random names, I follow a few FB pages, and they're all the same. I just hope whoever comes in isn't lazy and can score more than ten goals a season. Ideally I'd like him to be entertaining and not prone to injury, but you can't have everything.

Ugh this is going to be one of those nights...

Ugh this is going to be one of those nights...

Can't get any worse surely...

Finally............

• Advertisement

Great to get out with a win!

Good news is Doncaster next in the cup!

Bad news is we will be away to Man U or Liverpool if we get through Doncaster

D'oh!!!

I’d love to see 18 year old Mipo Odubeko on the bench tomorrow (he come on at end of Stockport game) and hopefully comes on as a sub at some point. Born and raised in Ireland, his family moved to England when he was 12. He signed for us last year, after moving from Man U youth squad:

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2019/october/25-october/west-ham-united-sign-prolific-striker-mipo-odubeko

Hot prospect:

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/west-ham-big-hopes-republic-23327504

In action:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCfGFSsqlzs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

so folks, any predictions where they will finish ?

I reckon between 7th and 10th...which might sound good, but I rather a relegation battle or a european battle than mid table boredom.
    It would keep my interest

I'd take mid-table monotony, I'm not sure my heart can take any more relegation battles.

I'd take mid-table monotony, I'm not sure my heart can take any more relegation battles.
    I'm with you on that one, though just for a breather; the agony and the ecstasy should be part of it, but it can be tiring. Slowly but surely for this season, then...big-time signings and do-or-die attitude ending in relegation or Europe. As if. It'll be slowly but surely with Moyes, but it's definitely heading in a positive direction.

• Advertisement
Advertisement