Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

West Ham Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Behrhama's pass to Fornals to set up the goal was exquisite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

1-0 up with 5 mins to go....we are about to find out if we are still the WHU of old or are making progress.

We all know how this normally ends for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Thankfully we held on but I had feared the worst!

Good win!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

with West brom and palace next up and only 3 points of the top 3, 2 wins and it could even be in the top 5.

29 points in the bag so far

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

At some point we're going to regret not putting games like that beyond doubt with another goal or two. We've had one goal wins against Sheffield United, Fulham, Burnley, Leeds and Aston Villa in the last few months. Don't get me wrong, I'll take them, but we're due a late sucker punch soon (we got lucky against Fulham and Villa).

I'd take lower top-half being honest while hopefully being able to strengthen in the summer. Hate relegation battles.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

At some point we're going to regret not putting games like that beyond doubt with another goal or two. We've had one goal wins against Sheffield United, Fulham, Burnley, Leeds and Aston Villa in the last few months. Don't get me wrong, I'll take them, but we're due a late sucker punch soon (we got lucky against Fulham and Villa).

I'd take lower top-half being honest while hopefully being able to strengthen in the summer. Hate relegation battles.

I think the opposite, in the past we would have lost games like those. If I recall, last season we dropped a heap of points from winning positions.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I think the opposite, in the past we would have lost games like those. If I recall, last season we dropped a heap of points from winning positions.
    Oh absolutely, we've improved immeasurably on that and it's a fantastic complaint to have, holding onto so many 1 goal leads. I suppose it's the pessimist in me that I'm always expecting a late goal when we're 1 up. We lucked out against Fulham with the stupid panenka penalty and against Villa with the non-offside. Had enough chances yesterday of making it 2 or 3 so I'd like to see us win those sorts of games more comfortably.

But, as you intimated, of the 8 games we've won this season, 6 of them have been by one goal. If it were last season, we'd probably have dropped points in more than half of those.

maybe I am old fashioned and remember the time when a draw was a good point.

These days with the 3 for a win, a draw is really not much, so making sure of losing a goal lead matters more than ever.

In the old days you could play 5, draw 5 and have 5 points, and you came across as a solid team.
    Today you could play 5, lose the first 3 and win 2 and have 6 points , and whilst have more points, be seen as a lesser team.

Was looking forward to Hammers against full set of ex-Hammers tomorrow; Big Sam in charge of Snodgrass and Diangana Grady, but Grady is out. It'll still make it spicy though.

• Advertisement

Snoddy not allowed to play:
    "Winger Robert Snodgrass can’t feature as part of an agreement between the Irons and Albion when the Scot made the move to The Hawthorns earlier in this January transfer window. It’s understood that it’s not an arrangement that will affect his involvement when the sides meet in the Black Country for the reverse fixture later this campaign."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

Snoddy not allowed to play:
    "Winger Robert Snodgrass can’t feature as part of an agreement between the Irons and Albion when the Scot made the move to The Hawthorns earlier in this January transfer window. It’s understood that it’s not an arrangement that will affect his involvement when the sides meet in the Black Country for the reverse fixture later this campaign."

I thought that was against the rules?
    https://twitter.com/OliverKay/status/1351613276224954368

adaminho wrote: »
    I thought that was against the rules?

Thought the same myself. Or did they regulate it to bring it out in the open?

Ludo wrote: »
    Thought the same myself. Or did they regulate it to bring it out in the open?

Link added above, under investigation. The only time I can remember it happening was the Tim Howard loan from Utd to Everton being made permanent in January and he missed the later game. They got around it by saying it was still a loan with an obligation to buy. Tbh I don't know who gets fined?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/6767145.stm
    If nothing came of this back in the Tevez season, then nothing should come from this today.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

If we get deducted points cos of this and it costs us the league I'll be fair annoyed!!

The Jman wrote: »
    If we get deducted points cos of this and it costs us the league I'll be fair annoyed!!

Maybe that was Sam's plan? He could have said tight muscle and been fine but by saying that it opens ye up to a case and a big finger to Sullivan and Gold!

Antonio's now joint third in West Ham's top Premier League goalscorers with 41 along with Carlton Cole. He could very well overtake Noble and DiCanio on 46 & 47 by the end of the season.
    Mad how it wasn't too long ago that he was playing right back.

Moyes never ceases to amaze me with absolute horsesh1t he constantly spews.

In his interview after the Burnley game he actually said this
    "You always have a chance of picking up a point if you don't concede a goal, and that was very good."
    Sod good chance, if you dont concede you are assured of a point. Is this guy autistic or what ?

Says this is the new west ham, its like he is trying to convince the board and ingratiate himself to the fans.
    Tonight he says "We're showing some growth in how we play and what we do," said Moyes..
    Really ? Only took two terms and a couple of years then.

• Advertisement

"You always have a chance of picking up a point if you don't concede a goal, and that was very good."
    Sod good chance, if you dont concede you are assured of a point. Is this guy autistic or what ?

Says this is the new west ham, its like he is trying to convince the board and ingratiate himself to the fans.
    Tonight he says "We're showing some growth in how we play and what we do," said Moyes..

To be honest, who gives a **** what he comes out with in post-match interviews. It is irrelevant. Right now he is getting results and that is all that matters.
    If this is all we have to criticise him on, things are good.

I know you're not a fan but, with respect, this is actually Moyes' first full season. He came in for both Bilic and Pellegrini to arrest a slump part of the way through the season and did so both times (not always convincing, I'll admit). This season he has managed us to (as far as I know) our highest ever points total at the halfway stage of the league. Quite honestly, he can say whatever the hell he like if we keep up that sort of form for the rest of the season.

my main worry is the lack of goals, for all the points got its only a plus 5 goal difference.

they might be winning but falling over the line by the one goal in most cases, seem to struggle to finish off teams, as others have said on here earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

my main worry is the lack of goals, for all the points got its only a plus 5 goal difference.

they might be winning but falling over the line by the one goal in most cases, seem to struggle to finish off teams, as others have said on here earlier

Stop trying to find negativity for no reason, 32 points after 19 games and you give out about goal difference. FFS I'll take a 1-0 win every week.

Moyes is doing a great job and deserves some credit.

me89 wrote: »
    Stop trying to find negativity for no reason, 32 points after 19 games and you give out about goal difference. FFS I'll take a 1-0 win every week.

Moyes is doing a great job and deserves some credit.

Negativity ?

What you call negativity I call actual fact, or is facts something you dont like now ?

Obviously a 1-0 win is the same points as a 8-0 win, the point is, as you will be aware of, Hammers leading one nil is almost always seeing the Hammers holding on or even conceding in the past and chucking away 2 points, as opposed to getting a second and making things easier for themselves.

Under moyes when leading 1-0, they are one of the most defensive teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

First 19 games last season (all Pellegrini) - Won 5, Drew 4, Lost 10 - 19 points
    First 19 games this season (all Moyes) - Won 9, Drew 5, Lost 5 - 32 points

Our best ever Premier League points tally at the half way.

I much prefer this solid West Ham to losing games with Anderson, Lanzini and Haller

• Advertisement

Shedite27 wrote: »
    First 19 games last season (all Pellegrini) - Won 5, Drew 4, Lost 10 - 19 points

I much prefer this solid West Ham to losing games with Anderson, Lanzini and Haller

how much of that is covid related though,
    you only have to look at sport in general to see upsets a plenty.

West Ham have been abysmal in the white elephant of a stadium, and i am convinced the lack of crowds have suited West Ham more than other clubs like arsenal , chelsea etc, which is a good thing obviously.

I am happy for the team, just wish some games they put aware the chances more instead of riding out narrow 1-0 wins, my issue is with moyes.

Moyes was not sacked the first time for nothing, it is not like he overnight got better, I am sure there are plenty of factors

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

There probably are plenty of factors and I don't care if it's COVID, the empty stadium or voodoo magic that has West Ham in 7th at this stage. A West Ham friend texted me about results going our way, we could be in a champions league position. Usually at this stage, we're texting each other on about if results go our way we'll be so many points above relegation. Last season we dropped 24 points from winning positions, we're holding on to these this season. This is a fantastic season and there is no way that I'm going to allow a bitter troll to ruin it on me.

how much of that is covid related though,
    you only have to look at sport in general to see upsets a plenty.
    How would it be Covid related? Wasn't it yourself that thought West Ham were only winning because Moyes was isolating a few months back? Are ya saying that if Pellegrini was still in charge we'd be getting these results? Moyes has gone a cleaned ship of the "flair players" and got in a team that's willing to put in a shift. To be honest, it's not like they're playing awful football at the moment.

There probably are plenty of factors and I don't care if it's COVID, the empty stadium or voodoo magic that has West Ham in 7th at this stage. A West Ham friend texted me about results going our way, we could be in a champions league position. Usually at this stage, we're texting each other on about if results go our way we'll be so many points above relegation. Last season we dropped 24 points from winning positions, we're holding on to these this season. This is a fantastic season and there is no way that I'm going to allow a bitter troll to ruin it on me.

and there we have it.....typical as usual, read a fact you dont like, label the poster a troll. A policy adopted by too many people these days.

how is stating west hams home record is better with the no crowds "trolling".
    It is a genuine and worthy question to ask. You cannot deny the results have improved, to just totally dismiss any reasoning of this as trolling shows your inability to discuss things.

If Moyes was so good, why was he sacked the first time, or is asking that basic question now tantamount to "trolling" ?

I don't really mind as I thought we would be in a relegation battle now!

It's great to be doing well at this stage. If we just had another goalscorer that were able to be knocking in a few we could be really up top.

I'm amazed Moyes is doing so well but he must be doing something right! It is a results business. If we completely collapse from now on then I would call for his head but he looks to have us a lot more solid these days.

• Advertisement

dont get me wrong, I am delighted they are doing well

a lot of that are the results at home in front of no crowd, how much is that a factor? We wont know for a while
    Plus a lot of those points came in games like the fulham game where it looked like a single point and got lucky to get 3, that's a few times this season we got lucky where in the past we would have blown it.

to me those games are what made the difference, I just wish instead of sweating ourselves in the final minutes we were more aggressive and went for a second instead of hanging on which was the case in a couple of games.
    Then it is west Ham, always putting you through the mill

I think the no crowd has helped this team and Moyes definitely. It allowed them time to gel and get the confidence up. I think if there was crowd there, groaning at things it gets everyone afraid and worried.

But its the same for all teams so thats the way it is. As you say if we could just kill teams off, we would be in better shape than even we are now. A goalscorer would be great. I thought Haller was that guy but it didn't really work out.

my reasoning to this is very simple.

before covid leading 1-0, we lost a heap of games or ended up with just a draw, all this in front of crowds.

now in front of no crowds we are not losing as many from the same position,a good thing obviously, so clearly something is a factor, and for the other guy to suggest I must have been trolling shows how sensitive and precious some people are and bandy about the term troll as soon as they read something they dont agree with.

and there we have it.....typical as usual, read a fact you dont like, label the poster a troll. A policy adopted by too many people these days.

how is stating west hams home record is better with the no crowds "trolling".
    It is a genuine and worthy question to ask. You cannot deny the results have improved, to just totally dismiss any reasoning of this as trolling shows your inability to discuss things.

If Moyes was so good, why was he sacked the first time, or is asking that basic question now tantamount to "trolling" ?

I apologise, I shouldn't have called you a troll.

all good havoc......
    as for the next game. if we got a win against palace up next, would settle for a home draw against liverpool,would take a point no problem.

my reasoning to this is very simple.

before covid leading 1-0, we lost a heap of games or ended up with just a draw, all this in front of crowds.

now in front of no crowds we are not losing as many from the same position,a good thing obviously, so clearly something is a factor, and for the other guy to suggest I must have been trolling shows how sensitive and precious some people are and bandy about the term troll as soon as they read something they dont agree with.
    But it could also just as easily be the fact that Moyes has, for the first time as West Ham manager, been at the helm for a full preseason and has been able to stamp his style on the side. He didn't have that chance both times he came in as we were halfway (give or take) through the season and languishing towards the bottom.
    Now, I don't know what exactly it is. It's likely the lack of crowd is also a factor, but we had 5 games at home in an empty stadium after lockdown last season and won only 2 of them so it cannot solely be put down to the lack of crowds.
    I did mention during the Burnley game that I would like us to put those teams away. But we had so many chances during that Burnley game that you can't really blame Moyes for them not taking chances.
    And I'm not going to proclaim Moyes an unqualified success simply because of an excellent first half of the season. But if you're willing to slate him for the poor games last season, then you have to be willing to praise him for this season, regardless of the conditions surrounding this season.

again when Moyes was out with covid, it could be argued the team performed better and have built on that confidence gained when moyes was gone, and when moyes came back the confidence remained....its a valid argument

you cannot dismiss that, not can you dismiss the fact the crowds not being there might have lifted the added pressure at home.

I refuse to believe Moyes suddenly went from rubbish to gold since he came back from covid, far too many factors at play

yawn...boring at this stage. The season is going well and I am not going to let your negativity about Moyes drag it down for me :-)

again when Moyes was out with covid, it could be argued the team performed better and have built on that confidence gained when moyes was gone, and when moyes came back the confidence remained....its a valid argument

you cannot dismiss that, not can you dismiss the fact the crowds not being there might have lifted the added pressure at home.

I refuse to believe Moyes suddenly went from rubbish to gold since he came back from covid, far too many factors at play

Moyes had turned around this long before Covid, remember the summer, when we won 3, drew 3 and lost 1 of our last 7? He was well on his way to turning things around.

Bar Newcastle at home on the opening day, we haven't had an awful result in about 25-30 matches at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Lads I know we are all a bit edgy in this unfamiliar position but relax please it's very refreshing in comparison to the dog fights we are used to. Personally full of praise for Moyes.. Sanchez Wilshire anderson all players not pulling their weight gone.. we have a team of grafters now.. soucek rice bowen fornals coufal Antonio all of them are work horses and what more can we ask for. The fact that moyes has brought in 3 of them since last Jan then he has alot of trust built up in the bank for me.

Breaking it down further we have lost 5 games this year.

Newcastle- awful performance not too sure how to explain it now didnt have much identity about us at that stage.

Arsenal- pinning the blame solely on yarmolenko for this loss bowen worked his socks off for 80 mins and tracked every run yarmolenko was on for 5 minutes and lost his man leading to the goal. Game we deserved something from.

Liverpool- dubious penalty away against a top 6 side...

Man united- should have been 3 or 4 up before the hour and then got robbed by var.

Chelsea- a rare off night but the result more than flatters chelsea as we were well in the game for 75 mins.

We have also scored in 16 of our 19 games. A second striker is badly needed before the end of the window

• Advertisement

Happy for Antonio who I always rated.......he got a lot of stick.

He is no silky smooth player, but he works hard, fearless and for a striker one of the least lazy., as strikers tend to be lazy gits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Shedite27 wrote: »

People on this board should be made to write in and apologize to Moyes

BBC reports Mipo Odubeko Covid positive, so out of Doncaster game tomorrow

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55766762

..but Irish Independent say it's all up in the air:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/west-ham-boss-david-moyes-in-the-dark-over-irish-striker-odubekos-covid-dilemma-39999387.html

I was looking forward to finally seeing Mipo in action in a proper run-out in a cup game, as he's unlikely to get much league action yet with ever-so-cautious Moysie. Especially if we do land a new a striker by Feb 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭pjmn

interesting debate so far - personally I don't think Moyes was ever rubbish, nor do I think he's gold, but I do think he has the players playing to a system (not perfect) but overall is yielding results, and there does seem to be a good atmosphere among the players, which is always a good sign of a manager. Let's be honest it's a good debate to be having, and it's nice for a change to be hovering in the league position we are rather than being stuck in the mire of the relegation mix. I do think we need another decent striker as Antonio is a hamstring waiting to happen, given the way he plays, and if at all possible need to hold on to Rice - I'm easily pleased really ;)

pjmn wrote: »
    interesting debate so far - personally I don't think Moyes was ever rubbish, nor do I think he's gold, but I do think he has the players playing to a system (not perfect) but overall is yielding results, and there does seem to be a good atmosphere among the players, which is always a good sign of a manager. Let's be honest it's a good debate to be having, and it's nice for a change to be hovering in the league position we are rather than being stuck in the mire of the relegation mix. I do think we need another decent striker as Antonio is a hamstring waiting to happen, given the way he plays, and if at all possible need to hold on to Rice - I'm easily pleased really ;)
    Cannot argue with that.

I know some think if you mention anything it is considered negativity, but the improved home record coinciding with covid and no crowds, and how the teams confidence grew while Moyes was out and has maintained is worthy of discussion.

I obviously hope when down the line things improve, crowds return the home record maintains its upwards movement.

Then maybe i am a little biased, old romantic in that i never wanted to leave the boleyn, and the olympic elephant is devoid of any atmosphere in comparison, but they are not the first club to move to a big stadium.
    In the past west ham were never short on players coming through the ranks, I once recall England playing at wembley and 8 of the starting 11 were all present or ex west ham, I am not so much up to date on their academy these days, but we dont hear as much, even if rice is expected to move for 30million less

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1387832/Liverpool-Chelsea-Declan-Rice-transfer-SNT

Fornals scores after 1 minute; lovely cross from Yarmo.

B team unsurprisingly out; only Soucek regular at moment (though Benrahma moreso these days). 4-2-3-1, with Benrahma right behind Yarmo who is up front, which is an interesting set-up.

Benrahma looked pissed that Fornals took that goal ahead of him.

Lovely fluid football, especially compared to the Stockport game. Well-worked link-up between Benrahma and Yarmo for goal.

• Advertisement

Irish midfielder Afolayan, not long on for Soucek, scores on debut.

Advertisement