Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

West Ham Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I agree with that. Shame Lingard tho, from what I read it's Man United want to keep him as he's a great influence around the club for younger players and well liked in the dressing room. Sounds like they're letting him waste away as a mascot. A very well paid Mascot no doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

On the face of it, that's an excellent signing. Just waiting for the crash and burn now.

Looks like he was a bit young when he flopped at Everton, so hopefully has come on since then. Plays as an attacking midfielder normally yeah? So slots in as another option among Benrahma and Fornals (similar to Lingard I guess)

Think he was decent during the Euros. Scored against Scotland. At Everton it looks like he came in just before Koeman was sacked and Allardyce didn't fancy him so he didn't get the chances he should have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

This window has moyes's fingerprints all over it and I love it. With the exception of zouma being very public because of our negotiating tactics areola vlasic and potentially kral now done with very little chatter or fuss. If we can manage to get a striker in the door before the deadline then I'll be very happy we have added exactly what was needed

At age 31, Antonio to finally make his Jamaican debut (only 1 game for defo though, coz of Covid)

It'll be a surprisingly good transfer window if the deal for Kral goes through. Honestly wasn't holding out much hope this time last week.

Yeah seems to be a al push to close all the deals on deadline day this year. Maybe the guys upstairs see that there's a chance to compete for Top 4 with a little investment. Great to see.

• Advertisement

The 23-year-old joins the Hammers from Spartak Moscow on a season-long loan with a view to making the move permanent, joining his compatriots and former Slavia Prague teammates Tomáš Souček and Vladimír Coufal at London Stadium.

Elsewhere, Coventry has gone on loan to Peterborough and Mipo's gone on loan to Huddersfield.

Ideally would have liked a left back and another striker, but overall a good transfer window and a very good final day. Remember the days we'd sign the likes of Mido, Benny McCarthy and Ilan as panic last minute buys?

Yeah, pretty happy with the potential these transfers can add to the squad. I didn't think we'd get a striker; Moyes seems happy enough with a bunch of attacking midfielders to take up the slack with a missing Antonio, as well as to add his firepower. The canny Scot seems to know what he's doing.

Yeah Bowen looks to be the second striker now. He's fine to fill in when Antonio is rested/injured, but it doesn't really give us a plan B off the bench.

Other than that, very happy with the offseason.

Lacklustre first half, with loose balls and wayward passes. Second half, upped tempo; Vlasic replacing Benrahma (and Fornals position behind Antonio).

• Advertisement

The introduction of the pacy Broja a real danger against the aging stalwart Ogbonna.

Poor game; 2 points dropped, probably due to one eye being on the Europa league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Does Antonio miss the United game now

Yeah, so he'll probably end up playing tonight; might as well make the most of his upcoming absence.

Been a long time since I've watched West Ham in Europe.

Fairly full strength team, Fredricks in for Coufal and debuts for the new guys Vlasic and Zouma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Buzzing for this. Not expecting anything easy today but I like how we have set up with the exception of not starting areola but in Moyes we trust. Coyi ⚒️⚒️⚒️

• Advertisement

That went exceptionally well!

Caught the last 20 minutes. Zouma looked fairly commanding.

I'll catch it up tomorrow, given the decent-looking tail-end of the game, and the goals (apparently Rice's was special).

I was thinking while watching it, with a strong Top 4 this season, and a not-too-intimidating list of teams in Europa League, winning it is probably our best chance of getting to the Champions League

With Antonio the author of his own absence, new guy Vlasic up front, with Zouma partnering Ogbonna.

Vlasic showed a lot of willing in the Zagreb game, so shows potential; Moyes is normally very cautious, so interesting he's thrown him in at the deep end here.

Looks like Bowen up front; more in keeping with Moyes's cautiousness.

Vlasic not getting much of a look-in; thought Masuaku would've replaced him, but Moyes went for Yarmelenko. Linguard on unsurprisingly, to mess with the Hammers minds.

Of fcuking course it's him!

Jesus of all the times for Nobes to miss a penalty.

Who wrote the script for this? The tactical replacement of Lingard, and his superb goal at the death, followed by an injury-time peno for the Hammers, with a tactical replacement by Noble for the peno....who missed? ffs.

We actually beat Man U away and our reward is Man City! Before the draw was even made I was sure we'd get them.

Winston Reid has left by mutual consent. Such a shame that his injuries pretty much ruined his career with us just as he was reaching his peak. Still, he'll always be remembered as the one who scored that goal.

• Advertisement

Probably the worst time eve to beat United. Very little benefit and another game in a packed schedule.

Must say, I'm very much enjoying the bile and hatred from Man U fans towards Noble. I know he's not the player he was anymore, but I'm going to miss that side of him when he leaves. I doubt we'll ever see another player like him in a West Ham shirt.

2 from 2 in the EL. Think it's very important for us to get top spot as that guarantees us a break before the knockout stages as we'd go straight through to the last 16. 2 games coming up against Genk followed by the return leg against Vienna. Doubtful that Zagreb would drop points in their games, but it'd be nice to go into the last game of the group knowing that we'd only need a draw (or even a narrow loss) to top the group.

Rice just keeps getting better and better!

Nervy performance last night, should really have got a second far earlier. NEarly came back to bite us with the peanlty

Ben Johnson looking more and more assured and capable, with some lovely touches. Yarmolenko a lot of huffing and puffing without much end result. Vlasic hardly featured; he needs to be tried out as Antonio-filler, because I don't think Bowen can cut it in that role- much better staying on the wing. As well as trying out Vlasic in the last 20 minutes, also Oko-Flex.

What a beauty from Benrahma.

Yarmolenko can be an excellent player. His pass to Antonio which set up Rice's goal was top quality. Unfortunately, like Haller, I don't think he fits into this team.

I'd give Vlasic some time. He's taken a big step up from the league he's used to. If he's given this season to get up to speed I can see him being a great asset next season. Similar to the change we've seen in Benrahma compared to last season.

Probably a fair result given the Hammers lethargy in the first half, and Frank's Bees' superior game-plan. Hammers didn't really get going until about 55'', which meant any late subbing would have meant breaking their stride, considering the late-onset raised tempo. Dying-seconds strike for the Bees felt almost inevitable.

Everton were mediocre, so much so that we had 62% possession, which is an unusual state of affairs for the Hammers (though in fairness we do seem be gaining more and possession these days).

Even though Everton were missing Calvert Lewin and Richarlison, it's always an brilliant result to win at Goodison (given how utterly crap we've generally been against them). Fully expect them to be challenging for top 6 or even top 4 towards the end of the season so it's an excellent result.

On to another European night next Thursday against Genk and hopefully another step towards top spot.

• Advertisement

Another European win. Another clean sheet. And, depending on the result in the other game, a win in the next game could guarantee us top spot in the group with two games to spare.

I'd like to see Vlasic come on for Benrahma at this stage, who's been fairly anonymous.

Safer option for Lanzini in for Benrahma. Vlasic needs some game time in this position though.

Fairly evenly balanced game overall; it could have gone either way up to Antonio's goal.

Ben Johnson standing in for Coufal was good, but not great under pressure with wayward clearances.

Man of the match was given to Cresswell, but I would have given it to Rice- he was magisterial.

Not a great performance, like last weekend, but I love how we're still managing to grind out results despite that.

Love how some Spurs fans constantly go on about it being our "Cup final" yet they're the ones who rested their entire team in Europe during the week, evidently so they'd be fresh for today. That went well for them.

Cracking first-half in cup game against Man City. Both playing reduced strength set-ups; Areola in goal, Masuaku in front of Cresswell, Yarmelenko in front of Nobes, and Vlasic up front for us. Unsurprisingly, hammers soaking up pressure from city tippy-tappy, and dangerous on break. Vlasic looking strong up front.

• Advertisement

There's definitely a part of me that just says sod this cup, lets just lose 1-0 and get back to Europe

Fantastic crowd atmosphere suggests otherwise.

Benrahma, Fornals, and Bowen on for Yarmolenko, Masuaku and Vlasic; Moyes thinks it's important. A win here means 1/4 finals and real chance for Silverware.

2nd half even better; Areola really good in both halves.

Benrahma slots home 5th penalty to derail Man City's 5th cup run after winning 4 years in a row..

Come on you Irons!

Post edited by cdgalwegian on

First time they've been beaten in the league cup in 5 years.

We're fcuking massive.

Great game and lovely to win, but all these games will catch up eventually. Champions League is the goal, you get that by winning Europa, that should be the number one goal IMO

• Advertisement
Advertisement