Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

West Ham Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Big story breaking of a Czech Billionaire taking over West Ham

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I know GSB have had issues but I'm always weary of possible takeovers. To me, the devil you know is better than the devil you don't. Birmingham fans hated Gold and Sullivan and were ecstatic when they sold to Carson Yeung. They were relegated within a few years (even flirting with league one a few times) and haven't returned since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah we all remember what happened with the Icelandic Billionaires

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Eight-time winners Liverpool will take on Leicester City in the Carabao Cup quarter-finals.

West Ham, who knocked out holders Manchester City in round four, face last year's beaten finalists Tottenham.

How on earth did they deem Hause's "challenge" not worthy of a red? Literally smashes Fornals in the face with his elbow but apparently that's fair game. Luckily it seems like it won't matter in the end but its baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

I reckon VAR bottled giving 2 reds and tossed a coin.

But both were clear reds, the Hause one more so

Ridiculously selfless by Lanzini for that fourth goal! Could have taken it on himself but gave Bowen the tap in instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

Yes and given me an Antonio assist for FPL.

West Ham fans chanting "are you Tottenham in disguise"😄

• Advertisement

That's probably it. Same here, Hause's one was by far the most clear and obvious error of the two. Both should have been reds but they didn't have the stones to give both.

Was funny the uproar over Nakamba's "injury" and being off for the third goal. If a player's actually injured, he doesn't go flopping about on the ground like a fish out of water.

Had flashbacks when I saw J Paintsil on the scoresheet.

I'm shattered after that.

Masterclass!

Jesus christ I've aged 10 years in 2 hours.

It's November. We're in joint 2nd (behind Man City on goal difference), three points off top, +10 goal difference and we've only dropped 10 points in 11 games (the two 2 losses being last minute winners). I'm fcuking dizzy.

Quite funny hearing all the uproar over the non-existent "foul" on Allisson for the first goal and the "red card" challenge by Cresswell (it was a foul, probably a yellow, not a red). Yet not a peep about Salah's dive for their free that they scored nor Jota's elbow on Ogbonna.

I didn't hear much uproar to be fair. I only watched analysis on MOTD2 and they all agreed it was no foul on Allison and no red for Cresswell

MOTD 2 agreed that the first goal wasn't a foul. More talking about the Liverpool fans on that one. They said that Cresswell's challenge was a red. But I don't think it was and, if it was, then Jota's elbow should also be a red.

Ogbonna looks like he'll be out for a significant period with cruciate ligament damage. While we do have cover in Dawson and Diop, the partnership of Oggy and Zouma was becoming very formidable.

Micky scored an absolute banger for Jamaica against the States last night. And from miles outside the box too.

• Advertisement

Game away to Rapid Vienna will now be behind closed doors due to Austria's impending lockdown. UEFA had banned away fans for this game due to incidents in Genk. Remains to be seen whether or not that ban will carry over to the knockout stage.

Oggy is likely out for the season with a cruciate injury. What a kick in the teeth! He seemed to be developing an excellent partnership with Zouma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

From what I have read the ban is just for the one game and that is why the club decided against an appeal as they may have added extra that would have carried into the knockouts.

On a brighter note it seems like lingard is on his way back. Will put pressure on the 3 behind Antonio to keep their performance levels high and gives us a nice bit of variety when we are struggling in games.

Hoping to pick up where we left off before the break today. Still afraid to be over confident in these games but there's not one player from wolves that I would have in our first XI at this stage

Comfortable win against Rapid means direct qualification for last 16 next year..

Rapid were atrocious in front of goal. Vlasic top left in 4-3-3 played well, with a lovely cross for Yarmo's headed goal. 17 year old debut sub for Perkins, who nearly scored from a header with first touch, and looks really good on the ball.

The Wolves game was more sluggish than this game; it looked by bad strategy on Moyes' part; to take it easy- along with this game- in preparation for the Man City game on Sunday.

Yeah handy the way it was setup, 2nd in the group has to play a team coming in from Champions League, so glad to avoid that and the extra two fixtures.

Christ I hate Brighton with a passion!!

• Advertisement

When Masuaku failed to stop Lamptey's cross, a goal just felt inevitable; Maupay's 89th minute stunner made it all the harder to stomach.

The Hammers don't seem to be firing on all cylinders of late, the Wolves game signalling the first real signs of faltering. Man City should have beaten us 5-1; I know City are a machine, but it became a little embarassing. Chelsea on Sunday. 😕

I think we're starting to see the effects of fatigue in our squad. Antonio in particular looks absolutely gassed since coming back from Jamaica duty. Need another striker and perhaps look to get Lingard back on the cheap in January.

I'm actually amazed that we're somehow still 4th after 1 point out of 9. Though it hammers home the fact that, had we been up to our usual standard, we really could have put some distance between ourselves and 5th place.

One thing that really annoyed me about Wednesday though was the booing at full time. Some of our fans can be absolute muppets at times.

This is obviously set up for Coufal and Johson to drop back for a back 5 when needed, which against Chelsea will probably be for most of the game. 1st ten minutes pressing high, then retreating. Antonio will be dropping back in between Bowen and Lanzini as well, but it looks a fairly mobile set-up, so hopefully we should be able to inflict some damage. Given Chelsea's strength under Tuchel, obviously nervous about this game. A faltering campaign for the Hammers means this could be a bloodbath, and worsen the mood, but a decent performance could bolster the team.

Johnson no attempt to get back to cover Mount for his beautiful volley. Missing Cresswell there, so Masuaku brought on as he is a more natural left wing-back.

Lanzini dropping deeper into midfield meant better control there; part played in Bowen's lovely strike; first time 2 goals scored against Chelsea this season.

• Advertisement

What a game. Even with Ogbonna and Cresswell out, fair dues to Moyes; game plan worked a treat. Bowen was just fantastic. The workrate from everyone (apart from Johnson) was immense. The London Stadium atmosphere made a 12th player. COYIs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Just popped over from the arsenal thread to say well done to the irons, great result and even sweeter against Chelsea

The internet isn’t for everyone

Christ our defence is getting absolutely hammered by injuries. Basically our entire first choice backline up until now look like they're out (bar perhaps Coufal who had been behind Johnson). At least it's the one area in our squad that we have decent cover for.

Zagreb at home on Thursday. With us already guaranteed top spot, we'll likely be seeing Noble, Kral, Vlasic, Fredericks, Yarmolenko etc. Four u23 starters weren't in the U23 squad today which probably means we'll see some of them. It's a pity Oko-Flex can't play in the Europa League until January. This would be an excellent opportunity for him otherwise.

Leeds in the FA Cup third round. Very underwhelming.

Looks like we'll have to beat Barcelona if we're going to win the Europa League.

I was delighted when they dropped in, proper glamour tie and not unbeatable

Loving that lineup. 5 European debuts and the chance of Dave Martin coming on!

Yeah, the benefits of automatic qualification; the freedom to blood newbies:

Vlasic better show what he can do, otherwise we're still stuck for an Antonio sub, with the Jan window coming up. Rare outing for Kral as well.

Wow. What a goal from Zagreb within 4 minutes. Fantastic strike- no way Areola (or many goalies) was gonna stop that.

Ridiculous goal! Identical position to Masuaku's goal but he definitely meant that.

Back 4 all aged 18-20. Overall for the newbies, passing pretty poor, except for Ashby, who was very good on right wing. Longelo pretty good on the left wing.

Vlasic pretty good, Kral nothing to write home about. I gave up after 70 minutes; no-stakes game for Hammers, with Zagreb only needing a draw.

2nd Clash of the Clarets, with us beating the Villains 4-1 earlier in the season.

Alese, Ashby and Baptiste on the bench after their European ventures. Baptiste surely to come on towards the end of the 2nd half if we are in a comfortable position.

• Advertisement

Uh-oh. Moyes employing the save-your-energy-and-don't-get-injured strategy, in this 4-2-3-1 set-up. Relying really on set pieces to score, instead of high intensity on-the-break scoring etc. This is the 2 points dropped kind of game, that can easily become no points. Typically a late surge is too little too late in these circumstances, but the talent is there.

What from today made ya think that was a tactic?

We're obviously far better playing against teams that attacked us (Liverpool, Chelsea) than teams that sit back (Burnley, Brighton).

Most of the games where we have dropped points this season (Brentford,wolves,Brighton,Southampton,Burnley) show our need for an alternative in the shape of jesse lingard, thought the back 4 today was solid rice head and shoulders the best player on the pitch again and lanzini was decent but the tight pitch didn't suit Bowen I feel. Benny and Antonio are a far cry from the players that started the season on fire recently and we just have to hope the barren spell doesn't last much longer. Any positive result Wednesday would be nice as we come into a lovely run with united being our only game against a top 6 side until march. Not a time to be getting downbeat I feel.

?

Every manager has a strategy for every game.

So because "We're obviously far better playing against teams that attacked us (Liverpool, Chelsea) than teams that sit back (Burnley, Brighton), the tactic was "the save-your-energy-and-don't-get-injured strategy, in this 4-2-3-1 set-up", "Relying really on set pieces to score, instead of high intensity on-the-break scoring etc.". This was the safer strategy (injury and energy- wise, given the opposition), with the result of the predictable 2 points dropped.

I think the strategy was also affected by the factor of the hot-on-the-heels next game against Arsenal- who will be challenging us for 4th/5th spots at the end of the season; to reserve energy for the technically tougher team. The strategy gamble didn't pay off, as predicted- hence the 'uh-oh' at half-time. A bird in the hand... We should have thrown everything at Burnley, and then, if knackered, used the Burnley strategy for Arsenal.

We've turned sh!t again, I see.

Unbelievable how VAR doesn't overturn that penalty decision. Arsenal players flinging themselves to the ground as per usual.

Disgraceful. Great save from Fabianski.

Dawson unfortunately needing to be heroic a few a times. Hammers looked tired; Arsenal young and hungry, on the back of a great momentum.

Ashby came on and looks very promising.

Moyes gambled and didn't get a super-sub for Antonio last winter and this summer, and the need for one is really starting to show now.

Don't think it's unfair to question what the thought process is around Antonio at this stage. 2 goals in 14 games now I think? None in the last 8 in the league. Be it Moyes being too picky or a lack of scouting, or the board not wanting to fork out enough money, whatever it was we are suffering for it now.

Obviously during the summer plan a was a fit and firing Antonio leading the line. Plan b if he was injured try Bowen or yarmalenko up top as a contingency plan. But now it looks like plan c of keeping a bang out of form Antonio and hope that he comes good eventually. In my eyes anyway he has been dogshit recently even the spurs game when he got the winner he didn't play well in that game. Leeds is the last time I remember thinking he was really really good.

I can empathize with Moyes for having to stick with masuaku due to injuries but not with Antonio. We looked most dangerous tonight when Bowen was furthest forward. I'm not actively trying to bash Antonio as his form at the start of the season was unsustainable it's not his fault he's out of form he's still trying but I feel like banging my head off the wall with the insistence of keep playing him there and just hope he clicks back into form. We need to change something in the front 4 to try and spark some life into us. Lanzini is fine and Bowen was probably our most dangerous player although the bar wasn't set particularly high. Fornals benrahma and Antonio started the season really well but have dropped off alarmingly in the last 2 months.

Is vlasic the answer? Possibly not but I don't think he can be much worse. In August if you offered me too 6 last 16 in Europe and a quarter final in the league cup I would have taken your hand off so it's about managing expectations aswell but tonight was very poor by the standards we have set ourselves.

Dawson fabianski rice and diop the only ones that can be happy with their performances. Lanzini tried to play it around but didn't get much help. The rest of them need a bit of pasting from Moyes because that was closer to the west ham of years past that we knew rather than the grafting solid hard to beat team that we have become.

We only beat the big clubs, always struggle against the likes of Brighton, Burnley, Arsenal etc

• Advertisement

We're in a tough spot with strikers, playing one up top, you need to either bring in a superstar who's okay with no Champions league to replace Antonio (we've failed with lads like Haller, Palace failed with Batshuai), or we bring in someone who's willing to play second fiddle (and probably no better than Vlasic, Yarmo, Bowen). I think a loan move in January is the most likely answer. I'd love to see if we could get Origi from Liverpool once the AFCON is over. Always seems to do well for them off the bench. Mitrovic and the top scores in MLS are the two linked in the media at the moment. Any others you'd suggest?

Advertisement