Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

West Ham Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Happy enough resting players all things considered. Rumours are that Zouma's recovery may be quicker than expected and could feature in at least the second leg of the EL semi final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

After a brief reprieve from Jorginho's terrible penalty effort giving us hope for a top 6 finish, Pulisic's 90th minute winner means all our eggs are in the one basket with a Europa Cup win. If that fails, we're almost definitely out of Europe next year, unless Man U continue to slowly implode and Wolves continue to lose their teeth.

I expect nothing and I'm still disappointed.

Literally going into the last game with 0 out of 4 centre backs available.

Anyone else absolutely bricking it about tonight? I haven't been more nervous about a game since the playoff final in 2012. Somehow the bookies have us at odds on to progress and I've no idea how! Down to one fit centre back with Frankfurt having knocked out 2 strong Spanish teams in the last two rounds (and appear to be putting all their eggs in this basket).

Poor enough performance against probably the best side we've faced in the competition so far. Frustrating to conceded so bloody early. And yet we were still unlucky to go into the second leg behind having hit the woodwork three times. And we were bloody inches away from one of the greatest goals of all time with Bowen's injury time effort.

We're definitely not out of it. In each of our knockout ties, we've gone into the second leg knowing that we need to win. But Frankfurt know that a draw will do and they seem like they're well able to sit back and soak up any pressure and hit us quickly on the break. Ideally, we'd score early on in the second leg meaning that we've something to build on and can hopefully draw Frankfurt out a bit. The further into the game we go without scoring, the more we're going to have to commit forward and the bigger the risk of us getting caught on the break.

Moyes simply has to play the likes of Alese and Baptiste on Sunday now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Definitely agree they were the best team we faced. 9th in Bundesliga is a very misleading picture of where they're at. Far better then Sevilla/Lyon

Moyes has 2 generations of Hammers supporters in unchartered territory; choppy waters, where success is within reach, yet where it could all capsize in terms of next season's European involvement; it could be Champions League, or out of Europe next season entirely. With Wolves starting to fall away with another defeat today, the Red Devils could just about be (eventually) overtaken by us - they are at home to Brentford on Monday, and the Bees definitely have the ability to beat them. We have Arsenal tomorrow unfortunately, who are going really strong; they’ll be faced with a Hammers team who are all in with the Europa Cup with an uphill struggle, with the 2nd leg semi-final on Thursday. Defeat on Thursday (where even a draw means we’re out) means we have to scramble for 6th spot, which given our injuries in the last lap is a long shot. Even though it will be a big gamble, I think Moyes would be right to sacrifice commitment for an unlikely Europa match win on Thursday, rather than the Arsenal match tomorrow. After all, ‘it’s a funny old game’, and hope springs eternal. 

So, the nervousness of the next week is incredible. And to think that we are nervous about this, rather than relegation. Fair dues to Moyes and his group of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Xander10

Very quiet on here, with the big game looming. I think a lot of the players admitted after the first leg that their performance fell below par, so I anticipate a 100% all out effort tonight. I can see us scoring but them also breaching our defence. So looks like we will need to score 2 or 3, so Antonio will need to find his shooting boots. Other concern, Moyes stubbornness to use the bench has left a lot of players looking jaded at this end of the season.

Can't see us doing enough. Frankfurt will be happy to sit back and then hit us on the counter attack. We weren't able to physically bully them like we did with Lyon meaning Antonio's influence will be greatly reduced. And, like you said, a lot of the team look absolutely wrecked. If Frankfurt go ahead on the night, I can see the heads dropping and us losing by a few goals which would be harsh given how the season has gone.

Yeah don't fancy us but I've been wrong about WH before

• Advertisement

We survived Cresswell's first red card against Lyon, but being down to 10 men and Lanzini sacrificed so early, and trailing by 2 goals on aggregate, his disastrous mistake looks like it has sunk us. Nicking a sneaky goal to inject some hope looks unlikely, but you never know.

Well at least they didn't give us any false hope tonight.

For any chance at all, Antonio needs to be come off as he's knackered- Benrahma on, and Bowen more central.

I'm still a bit numb after the Hammers' ejection from European football for the foreseeable future. I mean, 6th spot will surely go to Man U. Without European football next season, maybe the team won't be so knackered at the end, and running out of steam and making silly mistakes.

This "small squad" philosophy worked wonders for qualification, but once there, it just won't get us over the Europa Cup line. So ffs Moysie, get some decent players over the summer to bolster the decent hard-working team you've added to, and gelled together so well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Moyes shows his class to the world by kicking a ballboy and Rice alleges the ref is corrupt.

Yawn. Believe it or not, both Moyes and Rice are human and were frustrated about losing the biggest game of the season (for Rice, it was probably the biggest game of his club career so far). Both lashed out inappropriately. Moyes kicked a ball near a ballboy (not sure where you got that he kicked a ballboy) and Rice said some things in the heat of the moment that he probably regrets but things that referees probably get in almost every game, they're just not recorded and plastered all over social media. The pearl clutching from some people is bloody hilarious.

I'm still holding out some hope that we can overhaul Man U in 6th. However, we've never beaten Brighton in the PL and obviously City are a juggernaut at the moment. Hopefully with these being Noble's last two games, we may raise our games.

It's only hitting me now that it's his last two games. I honestly can hardly fathom a West Ham squad without him (18 years since his senior debut). Saw his speech at the awards dinner the other night it nearly set me off.

What a roller-coaster! Fantastically memorable game, and potentially hugely important point to keep us in the running for an improbable 6th place finish. It's still down to us to beat Brighton though in the final game, but at least with this point even a draw rather than a loss for Utd would see us 6th on goal difference. Gripping stuff.

Brilliant to see Nobes come on in the second half, after an emotional pre-match final home-game farewell.

• Advertisement

This nearly had me in bits. What a career and what a player.

Delighted we were able to get a point out of it but also gutted that we couldn't hold on for the win thanks to a lucky deflected goal and an OG. Bowen obviously got the headlines but Antonio was also outstanding in causing utter mayhem! He gets absolutely nothing from referees even though he often gets the shirt reefed off him. If only he had the finishing ability of Bowen, we'd have won that.

Glad to have European football secured with a game to spare. Hoping we can break our duck against Brighton and praying that Man U put in a similar performance as they did against Brighton last time round so we can go straight back into the Europa League group stages. Interestingly, yesterday's draw means that we've scored in every home game of a top-flight season for the first time in over 100 years. As well as that, barring an 11 goal hammering next weekend, we'll end the season with a positive goal difference for the second year in a row (and only the third time since the Premier League began).

We can add to that that it's the first time in West Ham history to have qualified for Europe in 2 successive seasons.

For those (like me) that had questions about the Europa Conference League, but were afraid to ask; https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaconferenceleague/about/ (hopefully of course we won't need this, but it's handy to know)

FFS.

One nil up, with Man U going on to lose, the improbable seemed possible. Turned out Brighton were better on the day, so we get Euro scraps in 7th. With Moyes' 'small team' ethos, Conference League sure to be a poisoned 'chalice' of sorts.

Thought the triple subs in the second half were completely unwarranted.

10 games against Brighton since they came up and we haven't won a single one of them. Entirely expected. Though it goes to show how well we've done that we're disappointed with 7th place. I think if we get Areola in permanently, get a couple of new strikers, a left back and a backup centre half, we'll be in an excellent position to challenge again next season. With the Conference League, I'd be very hopeful that we'd give younger players more of a chance.

Man City in the first game again! Second time in 4 years we've had them. We always tend to get the most difficult first games. Looking at the last 10 seasons, we've had a team from in and around the top 4 in our first game 7 times (Man City x 2, Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs & Arsenal). The only times we have had an "easier" fixture was the last two seasons (both Newcastle) and Cardiff in 2013.

Moyes has been after Aguerd for a while, and unusually for WHU, this transfer is in June, and not on the last day of the transfer window. Looks pretty decent.

• Advertisement

Rumours that we're in for Armando Broja from Chelsea as well. He spent last season on loan at Southampton and fairly dismantled us when they knocked us out of the FA Cup. Would be exactly the kind of player Moyes likes if he played like that.

I saw a tweet somewhere that the last first team striker that we signed was Ajeti nearly three years ago.

We've had good success signing Championship players, Cresswell, Antonio, Bowen, Benrahma, prefer that than signing an Everton-style player

The lad's supposedly a big West Ham fan too. Good transfer window so far with Aguerd, Areola and Downes. Would very much like some movement on a striker.

• Advertisement

Ha its bloody typical. No way Diop leaves now. Glad that Lingard didn't end up here. His behaviour recently has been ridiculously childish.

Supposedly Scamacca is close to being a done deal (for the last month). Hopefully he's more of a Paulo DiCanio than Simone Zaza. Broja is looking less likely.

Delighted Lingard didn't end up coming back. No doubting his impact while here, but it was obvious it was just to impress Old Trafford for game-time, which backfired royally. Surprised at Moyes' keen-ness for him after that. He normally looks for 100%; no way he would have got that from him after being cold-shouldered at Man U, though he might have been banking on an F.U. to Old Trafford from him.

Talking of P Di Canio, I see he reckons Scamacca might be another Haller. Considering Haller has been fantastic in Europe in the role of 2nd striker/attacking midfielder, Moyes has his lone striker poilicy, and unfortunately stuck to his system with that inherited player. Scamacca is a proper centre forward, and Moyes has an eye for a canny choice, so hopefully we land him; looks like a deal is fairly imminent.

Interesting to see what happens with Antonio; Scamacca would expect to be first choice, whereas Broja would surely have played second fiddle for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

very good signing for you (apparently - i've never seem him play). was heavily linked with PSG and some smaller links to utd.

If anyone is interested in this friendly today, it can be watched

How To Follow…

Saturday's match will be streamed live on our YouTube channel, on whufc.com and our official mobile app.

Scamacca seems too good to be true to be honest, if he's that decent how come none of Milan/Juve or the Champions League teams want him. Hopefully he hits it off. Got 16 goals in Serie A last season. As a comparison Abraham got 17 last season, Arnoutovic 14. Be happy with that level of player

Opponents in the Conference League playoff will be the winners of Viborg of Denmark and B36 Torshavn of the Faroes. On paper, the best possible draw we could have hoped for.

Nearly there with Onana. 6' 5" and only 20, and looks like a midfield powerhouse, who Moyes has been chasing for a while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

He has the potential to be the best box to box midfielder for the next decade. Most talented player we had in Hamburg since Son.

I'm glad you finally agreed a deal because we badly need the money from the 20% sell on clause.

• Advertisement

Word is he's headed to Everton now.

Apparently, he can get more money there. Doesn't speak dedication to the team for Moyes I'd say, even if that looks like sour grapes, maybe better off without him, despite his talent. Only 20, could turn out to be an expensive prima donna.

Really like the look of this guy. He was really good at Burnley. With Masuaku gone he'll be a utility player on the left, with the ability to score and assist. I can see him and Scamacca linking up really well.

https://www.westhamzone.com/transfers/maxwel-cornet-undergoes-west-ham-united-medical-as-race-against-premier-league-clock-begins/

Delighted Cornet is a Hammer.

Looks like Onana could be a Hammer soon:

That's a lotta money for such a young footballer with only potential, and without being proven in the premier league. Although it is huge potential. In Moyes we trust?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Xander10

He's undergoing a medical, so looking very likely, but with the twisty turny nature of this, it could be just down to money (which hardly speaks of commitment), and there might still be an about turn. Doubt it though. Moyes is canny, but transfers almost always seem have problems with the Hammers.

Post edited by cdgalwegian on

• Advertisement

Diop gone to Fulham. Vlasic supposedly on the way to Torino. Rumours that Benrahma may be on his way too. After starting so well in the transfer window, it's been a bit disappointing recently and we're yet again in danger of a threadbare squad putting paid to any chances of silverware.

Advertisement