Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No NCT

• 27-07-2009 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all,
    I was stopped at the weekend for talking on the mobile phone,Now i understand that this means a 60euro fine and 2 penalty points which i hold my hands up for,
    The guard in question asked me to produce my insurance cert(which i had at the time??) and a valid NCT cert within 10 days,My NCT is out 7 weeks and i havn't organised a test yet,I am booking the car in today but i can't envisage getting it tested and passed in ten days,If i produce evidence that the car is booked in will this be enough??

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'm not sure, but it could mean trouble.

Had you had a booking when you were stopped you'd have been ok most likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

It will help your case if you have confirmation of the NCT being booked, how lenient after that they are on you is up to the garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 thegunshow

No i had no booking but the guard never asked or mentioned anything bout the NCT until he was just about to walk away,He just asked me to nominate a station and produce my Nct and insurance discs,Booking the car in today and i'll call in to the station after work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

OP - Book the car in for an NCT straight away, and keep checking online for cancellations. With persistence (and flexibility re time), you will get a cancellation within 10 days. You can then show the Garda that you have a valid NCT, and hopefully that will be the end of the matter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

thegunshow wrote: »
    No i had no booking but the guard never asked or mentioned anything bout the NCT until he was just about to walk away,He just asked me to nominate a station and produce my Nct and insurance discs,Booking the car in today and i'll call in to the station after work.

you should of had the car booked for an NCT yourself, you dont need a guard to remind you when your NCT is out.

rant over :D

he is doing you for the mobile use so i would book an NCT straight away then bring that confirmation along with everything else you need to the station and tell them you have no nct cert to produce as you are booked in and waiting a test, 9 times out of 10 they should be ok with that but theres always one.

being done for the mobile use is bad enough, so you just may be lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 thegunshow

I know i should have had the car booked in but i didn't get round to it which is my own fault,No point in dwelling on what i should have done,I didn't ask what i should have done i asked what i need to produce in the station and will a booking be enough,

Yeah i am looking this morning to see when the quickest date is available.Hopefully i can get it booked soon and i get a guard who is having a good day!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Might be an idea to invest in a bluetooth car kit too? They are surprisingly inexpensive these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bazjnr

thegunshow wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I was stopped at the weekend for talking on the mobile phone,Now i understand that this means a 60euro fine and 2 penalty points which i hold my hands up for,
    The guard in question asked me to produce my insurance cert(which i had at the time??) and a valid NCT cert within 10 days,My NCT is out 7 weeks and i havn't organised a test yet,I am booking the car in today but i can't envisage getting it tested and passed in ten days,If i produce evidence that the car is booked in will this be enough??

The Guard isn't asking you to have your car nct'd within ten days.

he has made a legal demand for you to produce a valid nct cert that covered you on the date you were stopped. the guard has given you ten days to produce this document that covers you on the date you were stopped.

the fact that you didn't bother to book an nct until you were caught says alot given all the media cover and RSA advice over the last 3 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Might be an idea to invest in a bluetooth car kit too? They are surprisingly inexpensive these days.

Or simply put the phone on speaker when it rings and place it on a holder. Same effect but cheaper. If you see a garda you can simply stop talking and you won't draw attention to yourself by having a phone to your ear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Talking on a mobile whilst driving a car with no NCT - no sympathy i'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭vw4life

Long Onion wrote: »
    Talking on a mobile whilst driving a car with no NCT - no sympathy i'm afraid.

yeah,OP,your goin away for a long time,I'm talkin prison my friend:eek:

but seriously,get the car tested asap and hopefully your dealing with a lenient garda but I doubt it,as was said already,he wants to see proof that the car was tested on the day you were stopped

Shazbot wrote: »
    Or simply put the phone on speaker when it rings and place it on a holder. Same effect but cheaper. If you see a garda you can simply stop talking and you won't draw attention to yourself by having a phone to your ear.

It's not comparable actually, and a simple bluetooth kit can be had for maybe €15 these times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

bazjnr wrote: »
    The Guard isn't asking you to have your car nct'd within ten days.

he has made a legal demand for you to produce a valid nct cert that covered you on the date you were stopped. the guard has given you ten days to produce this document that covers you on the date you were stopped.

the fact that you didn't bother to book an nct until you were caught says alot given all the media cover and RSA advice over the last 3 months.
    The RSA are full of sh1t though, i'd love to know how many (if not zero) accidents were caused due to faulty cars last year

Having to test a car that is only a couple of years old is bullsh1t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

i failed my nct but have documents saying i have till the end of august to apply for the retest, does this mean if i have those papers i can get away with no nct until then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dubcookie

there is some waiting list now for NCT's, i booked mine a month ago and my appt is november! cant believe this country, in most other countries you can get it done at any garage immediatly. to think we let provisional people get insured on cars and drive (well they say dont drive alone but lets be honest everyone does) and yet you cant get an nct done in the next few weeks. the driving rules and systems over here are crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The RSA are full of sh1t though, i'd love to know how many (if not zero) accidents were caused due to faulty cars last year
    Given the number of cars still going around with bald tyres/defective headlights, i'd say the figure is a lot more than zero.
    Cars first need to be tested when they're four years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

That NCT test in this country is a money racket and way over the top. The Mot test in UK is a fairer option and is easily available. The NCT system had made life quite difficult for motorists and has encouraged many people to scrap cars which were reliable and buy new cars that they could not afford. Go to most countries in Europe and you will see people driving ten and fifteen year old cars which have been tested and run perfectly.:( I recently viewed an Mot test from Uk and the car would certainly have failed the NCT here. However many of the items mentioned were advisories and the customer was told about them and encouraged to have them looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭The-Ry-Man06

shawnee wrote: »
    That NCT test in this country is a money racket and way over the top. The Mot test in UK is a fairer option and is easily available. The NCT system had made life quite difficult for motorists and has encouraged many people to scrap cars which were reliable and buy new cars that they could not afford. Go to most countries in Europe and you will see people driving ten and fifteen year old cars which have been tested and run perfectly.:( I recently viewed an Mot test from Uk and the car would certainly have failed the NCT here. However many of the items mentioned were advisories and the customer was told about them and encouraged to have them looked after.

Exactly! Its a very badley run system over here and has been used to take a huge majority of perfectly reliable 8-15 yo cars off the road. There only starting to realise this now and rethinking the immediate asthetic failures. I put my 85 capri in yesterday and was very pleased with the result. It failed of course( been sitting under a tree for 4 years) but the test was properly conducted and things such as slightly bent pin and dodgy rear wiper were ignored. better late than never i suppose!
    In my experience however Gardai take a very leanient approach to no NCT. I would do my very best to at least have a document stating the test is booked i have been driving round with that for 4 months (due to the back log) and have ran into many guards who are perfectly happy once i produce the booking confirmation. My guess is you should be alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭guerito

OP as mentioned before your best bet is to book a test ASAP and then keep your eye out for cancellations. With luck you might even get a cancellation before your 10 days are up. I booked mine in back in May and got a date for mid-June, but I kept an eye out and ended up getting my test done within 5 days. You will need to be flexible regarding time and location but if it means you can go to the Gardai with an NCT pass it'll be worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

That NCT test in this country is a money racket and way over the top. The Mot test in UK is a fairer option and is easily available.
    The NCT system is a lot more impartial than the MOT system. All NCT test centres are independent of the motor trade, however there is some suspicion that some NCT failures are called just to earn retests. The MOT test centres are commercial garages and are allowed to perform repairs so there's a lot more incentive for them to 'detect' faults, genuine or not. The NCT test is also a lot cheaper at €50 compared to £54 (€63), is first due when the car is 4yrs old instead of 3yrs, and is only required every 2yr instead of an annual MOT. Basically the NCT costs less to do over the lifetime of the car.
    The NCT system had made life quite difficult for motorists and has encouraged many people to scrap cars which were reliable and buy new cars that they could not afford.
    Nothing in the NCT forces anyone to scrap a car, it simply forces them to repair a defective car. If the cost of all those repairs are uneconomic then the car was a heap of sh!t anyways and should've been scrapped. It was the dealers who done the encouraging. Remember all those idiots back in 2000 who got rid of their 4yr old cars because they were afraid it would fail the new NCT. They were terrified at having to spend €200-300 on maintenance but never blinked an eye when spending €5000-6000 for a newer car.:rolleyes:
    Go to most countries in Europe and you will see people driving ten and fifteen year old cars which have been tested and run perfectly.:(
    That's because they maintain them properly. There are plenty of perfectly running 15yr+ cars on Irish roads too. why? because they're maintained properly too.
    It's my understanding that many EU countries have even stricter vehicle tests than here.
    I recently viewed an Mot test from Uk and the car would certainly have failed the NCT here. However many of the items mentioned were advisories and the customer was told about them and encouraged to have them looked after
    The MOT items seems fairly similar to the NCT, although I'm sure there are minor differences. Aren't MOT advisories exactly that... good advice for items that pass the test criteria but may need attention sometime soon. If so, then that would indeed be useful information to have, think of it as a free maintenance check.

BTW I'm just a common motorist whose not affiliated with NCT or MOT in any way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

.... Go to most countries in Europe and you will see people driving ten and fifteen year old cars which have been tested and run perfectly..

....yes, but all their ****-heaps are still running around here on LV, LT, PL and HU plates. I know. Those cars here, wouldn't pass any test of theirs back home.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The RSA have nothing to do with the fact that we have to have some form of car test! We have to do a test because of the EU Council Directive 96/96/EC.
    The MOT is annual whereas the NCT is every two years and it kicks in when the car is two years old. If your little mind thinks that a new car cannot develop a dangerous fault then you are fooling yourself. However, as a result of us not having started proper accident investigations until fairly recently its not known exactly what percentage of traffic incidents are as a result of unroadworthy cars. However, what is harder to determine is the number of incidents where a fault was a part contributor.

Advertisement