Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about a GFX Card

Options
  • 27-07-2009 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

I have been looking to upgrade from my 9600GT for a while now and have been reading reviews all over the net with recommendations.

Simple question.
    Is €180 for a 4890 with 1GB Ram a good deal?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Reasonable first-hand, dreadful second-hand. They're now retailing for €150 in some places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

Solitaire wrote: »
    Reasonable first-hand, dreadful second-hand. They're now retailing for €150 in some places.

Please supply links and i will give u joy.

HWVS: The gold standard.

Pixmania:
    Haven't kept up with the trend for once.

Komplett: still stupidly expensive. You dropped the HD4870 right down so wtf is this all about?

Shockingly, neither Elara nor Dabs sell HD4890s. No great loss, Dabs suck :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The Vapor-X on Pix is pretty good, as for the 186 you're getting a great air cooler and a factory overclocked card.

Oops- Sorry Terror, don't think that HD4890 is a manufacturer-overclocked one. Sapphire tend to sell the stock-clocked Vapor-X models at a small premium thanks to the greatly reduced noise and temps vs. a stock cooler and a slight bump in OC headroom. Only the Toxic (with either a Vapor-X or alternative custom cooler) and higher come pre-OCd, and the premium for such is usually pretty hefty :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Oops- Sorry Terror, don't think that HD4890 is a manufacturer-overclocked one. Sapphire tend to sell the stock-clocked Vapor-X models at a small premium thanks to the greatly reduced noise and temps vs. a stock cooler and a slight bump in OC headroom. Only the Toxic (with either a Vapor-X or alternative custom cooler) and higher come pre-OCd, and the premium for such is usually pretty hefty :o

Nope I own it, it is factory overclocked, though not by much - 870/1050 vs 850/970 - but every little helps right? :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

HWVS: The gold standard.

Pixmania:
    Haven't kept up with the trend for once.

Komplett: still stupidly expensive. You dropped the HD4870 right down so wtf is this all about?

Shockingly, neither Elara nor Dabs sell HD4890s. No great loss, Dabs suck :P

That is a good price on HWVS, do they still have the flat 30 delivery? It is a real pain if you are just buying one thing. Great if you are getting stuff by the truckload though.

Yeah, still a flat rate. I won't say "unfortunately" because, aside from the better prices there's also the fact that with heavier builds (esp. performance units with big-ass cases!) their shipping starts to look cheap in comparison to those to start to charge per weight once over 2kg or whatever! :P
    Nope I own it, it is factory overclocked, though not by much - 870/1050 vs 850/970

Thanks. Specsheet lied to me! How dare it! :D

Advertisement