Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chambers being turned into a gay bar

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Meh, never been to chambers, as it just isn't my scene, but Gay bars are in general grand anyway, and in Cork Gay seems to be very tame compared to Dublin.

I've been to the George, (i'm straight, long story behind why I went there), in there you would know it is a gay bar. Especially if you are like myself a relatively handsome 20 year old. I had 3 guys try to buy me drinks. I didn't accept, but it was the first time a dude did that.

So, basically what I am saying is there are very few if any true Gay bars in Cork. Not everywhere is Gay friendly, but there is also no gay bar that a straight guy could go into and stand out like a sore thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Kazbah wrote: »
    I go out a lot with gay/bi friends - ruby's/loafers/flux/instinct. I'm straight. On more than one occasion it's been said out straight or insinuated to me that gay women in particular don't like straight women in gay bars/clubs. One lady even told me that people like me are the reason she can't score because she's so pretty (her words not mine) that people assume she's straight. :rolleyes: Prejudice works in every direction. I've often been asked if I am gay on these nights, yet I don't think it would be acceptable if I went up to a stranger in The Classic and asked them if they were gay.

Oh that explains why i got those disgusted looks! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Shellie13

Everyone is free to drink where they choose after all!

except in Soho too young apparently AGISM!! :D lol

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

In fairness Chambers is a decent bar.
    what I'd love to know is if they are moving to a purely GAY bar or a gay freindly bar....

Gay friendly - im fine with that cause everyone can go in and know what to expect.
    but a purely GAY bar will be intimatidating to the straight folk, and we may be refused (as happens in some dub pubs) regularlly.

If the second option happens the bar will loose business IMO...
    It's quite a busy bar at the moment.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Many of the views expressed on this thread shows how long a country like Ireland has to go before it can call itself truly modern and progressive.

Homophobia is alive and well...:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Many of the views expressed on this thread shows how long a country like Ireland has to go before it can call itself truly modern and progressive.

Homophobia is alive and well... :(

Ridiculous. Point to one instance of homophobia in this thread? A few guys who are regulars of Chambers are annoyed that it is changing direction and will most likely no longer suit them. We'd have the same reaction from some people if The Bróg was becoming to a relaxing wine bar, or if the Crane Lane became a sports bar. Nobody is objecting to a gay bar opening up, it is the case as it relates to Chambers that is the focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

JupiterKid wrote: »

Homophobia is alive and well...:(

Lol...most if not all of the comments are firmly tongue in cheek (well I know mine was anyway). Very few people will care except those who drink there regularly and like it as it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Do they still have Poker on Wednesday nights?

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

TBH I think Chambers as it stands is a bit chavvie so maybe it will take a step up in the classiness stakes :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Bill-e wrote: »
    Do they still have Poker on Wednesday nights?
    All depends on what you have in mind when you say "poker":
    Fysh wrote: »
    Just had a quick look at ChambersBar.ie and the only thing I saw was mention of a gay night on Wednesdays called Sinners.
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭gccorcaigh

Illkillya wrote: »
    You must be able to name three songs by Daniel Beddingfield in order to get in the door.

Hahaha!! Thats priceless!

Advertisement