Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Dinghy sailors and canoeists to be subject to shipping laws

• 27-07-2009 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I would presume that this would also apply to Northern Ireland. Canoes, surfboards and dinghies are to be given the same legal status as cruise liners and oil tankers in a clampdown on reckless behavior at sea.

Unpowered craft including sailboards and bodyboards are to be reclassified as ships to bring their users within regulations for merchant shipping. Owners of craft can be randomly breathalyzed and also held liable for accidents with swimmers with fines of up to £50,000 and imprisonment for breaches. I presume that this will all lead to licensing and mandatory insurance. on all pleasure craft.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/sailing/article6728335.ece

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I think that's a good piece of regulation, hopefully it's brought in here soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭betterman

thats a load of balls. mandatory for a kayaker and insurance. they are slowley taking away peoples freedom. its just another money making scheame. there should be uproar.if england will bring that in im sure ireland will follow suit. what next every kayak will have a number plate and an insurance disc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    I think that's a good piece of regulation, hopefully it's brought in here soon.

Great until such time as they introduce mandatory licensing, insurance cover and GPS transponders on all commercial and pleasure craft.

No harm on certain rules and regulations such as curbing jetskis and speedboats from certain coastal resorts but clamping down on someone in a rubber dingy or canoe with a set of paddles is a bit OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭decdev

What a load of bull**** we will all have a homing tag on us soon:eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Did any of you actually read the article?

mba0433l.jpg
    But the Department for Transport has infuriated many of Britain’s four million water sports enthusiasts by proposing to extend the regulations to unpowered craft.

It's not law now and is unlikely to ever become law :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

emmmmmm well

I think some people need to go back to the books! Go read colregs people...
    Part A - General

1. Application(a) These Rules shall apply to all vessels upon the high seas and in all waters connected therewith navigable by seagoing vessels......
    3. General Definitions For the purpose of these Rules, except where the context otherwise requires:
    (a) The word “vessel” includes every description of water craft, including non-displacement craft, WIG craft and seaplanes, used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on water.
    It already applied. no. big. deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Maybe it's time that we had proper legislation after seeing the behaviour of the YOBS at Irelands Eye this weekend. http://www.powerboat.ie/forums/watersports-angling/4606-disgraceful-pwc-jetski-behaviour-irelands-eye-island-dublin-13-09-09-a.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

betterman wrote: »
    thats a load of balls. mandatory for a kayaker and insurance. they are slowley taking away peoples freedom. its just another money making scheame. there should be uproar.if england will bring that in im sure ireland will follow suit. what next every kayak will have a number plate and an insurance disc

Don't forget the NKT national kayak test!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭betterman

oh also headlamps and indicators. with foglights, seabelts and an air bag (though not a compleatly bad idea afterall im under the water more times the on top of it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 garboard

Hi i'm new here.

We have the marine safety act 2005 and it confers a lot of powers on the local authoritires to seize boat s etc where they see misuse. Its aimed really at ass holees in jet skis but is misused by ccs to clampdown on regular users. With some crazy results, I hear.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

And can you actually show of any examples where this legislation has actually been put into use by local authorities to confiscate boats/craft etc.?

Advertisement