Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilimanjaro-what's the descent like?

Options
  • 27-07-2009 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

I'm looking for a bit of advice on the descent- heading up the rongai and down the marangu route in about 10 days time. Generally take a few minor slips on boggy ground or slippery stone when I'm walking down the mountains but nothing more than that..However, yesterday was on Croagh Patrick and the guy behind me lost his balance, near the top and sent me rolling down the loose stones and the bump on my head and stiff neck is making me ask what am I letting myself in for? So I've read about the loose scree-are we talking about something similar to yesterday or way worse- am I better off to head to Gilman's point and forget the rest??? And what's the rest of the descent like? Is it gradual or steep and is the surface solid/ stony/boggy/ etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Steep, loose scree, very fast, very tiring since you'll already be knackered. Gaiters are helpful to stop small stones getting in your boots. But it doesn't last more than a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Would you advise taking climbing poles with you to save the knees? I don't normally use them but on a descent like that might make an exception.

Advertisement