Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to Newspread

Options
  • 27-07-2009 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭

Good morning, guys.

Firstly, sorry if this is in the wrong place, mods feel free to move it if necessary.

I am sick to the back teeth of Newspread. We use them in the hotel for daily paper delivery, and I am forever getting the wrong order, being left short, over delivered, no invoicing, very slow and poor customer services, and other such woes.

Does anyone know any decent newspaper distributors? I am have real trouble finding any, and refuse to believe Newspread are the only ones.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Very interesting. Have heard a lot of complaints about said company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

It depends on what publications you want, therefore if you don’t want to used Newspread – you won’t get Irish independent, Sunday, herald etc (direct)

The only ‘alternative’ to avoiding Newspread is top use a “handler”. Companies set up to take delivery of all the papers from the three wholesalers and then redistribute then to retailers – the retailers only have one point of contact for all they papers as opposed to three.

But, whereas you might be getting a margin of (say) 22% if you were going direct to the wholesalers, using a handler they will take 10 points and your margin would be 12% (example only – you would need to discuss details)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

You must be aware of the duopoly we have in news distribution. Newspread and Eason have it sewn up. The newspapers you buy from Newspread are exclusive to them. You can't buy them from anyone else. They treat you like a piece of sh1t becasuse they can.

If you're looking to get away from dealing with Newspread completely, there are several "vendors" who have taken up the slack over the years and will supply you with all your news requirements. These guys generally charge about €20 - €25 a week and give you about 15% of retail. They generally take back full copies on a weekly basis. What part of the country are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Thanks guys, thats what I had figured.

I'm in Cavan, so if anyone knows of any vendors that deliver this way, that would be brilliant.

I really don't know how they can imagine they can get away with such poor service! I suppose the duopoly would have something to do with it! Competition Authority, anyone?

As it is, we have a standing order for 10 Irish Times, and change the amount of Irish Indo's each week due to occupancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Thanks guys, thats what I had figured.

I'm in Cavan, so if anyone knows of any vendors that deliver this way, that would be brilliant.

I really don't know how they can imagine they can get away with such poor service! I suppose the duopoly would have something to do with it! Competition Authority, anyone?

As it is, we have a standing order for 10 Irish Times, and change the amount of Irish Indo's each week due to occupancy.

If you are a hotel and the papers are for your patrons, have a chat with your local shop. Maybe they would look after it and give you a small cut. Explain the situation and see if they can strike you a deal. All the papers are sale or return anyway so you wouldnt need to keep changing your order every week depending on occupancy, order, say 15 indo, and whats not used, send it back, or be a smart arse and send back any used papers left in the rooms after the person has gone. Then you could make double the money !

• Advertisement

I'm confused. Do you run the hotel shop or something?

DubTony wrote: »
    I'm confused. Do you run the hotel shop or something?

No, its the complimentary papers in the hotel.

So you wouldn't be sending them back. Go to your nearest shop and give him guaranteed sales. Tell him you want 15% to 20% off the retail price and place a standing order. If you need to change the order, give him a weeks notice so he can adjust his own order accordingly. It'll be a lot less hassle for you.

And you won't have to deal with those incompetent muppets in Cork.

My biggest gripe with Newspread is being on hold for ten minutes and then being put through to a voicemail box only to hear the announcement ...

"The mailbox you selected is full. Goodbye"

And here's another little nugget. 2 weeks after I closed the shop they were still delivering newspapers. When they'd been paid for everything I owed (although that's debatable) I cancelled the direct debit. The f*ckers sent in a copy of the original dd mandate and got it re-opened and took more money.

Despicable carry-on.

/rant (maybe ;))

So you wouldn't be sending them back. Go to your nearest shop and give him guaranteed sales. Tell him you want 15% to 20% off the retail price and place a standing order. If you need to change the order, give him a weeks notice so he can adjust his own order accordingly. It'll be a lot less hassle for you.

And you won't have to deal with those incompetent muppets in Cork.

My biggest gripe with Newspread is being on hold for ten minutes and then being put through to a voicemail box only to hear the announcement ...

"The mailbox you selected is full. Goodbye"

And here's another little nugget. 2 weeks after I closed the shop they were still delivering newspapers. When they'd been paid for everything I owed (although that's debatable) I cancelled the direct debit. The f*ckers sent in a copy of the original dd mandate and got it re-opened and took more money.

Despicable carry-on.

/rant (maybe ;))

Thats mad. I ring them about three times a week and have never got that. Sometimes get some ejit in poland who carnt even understand me. If its complimentary papers, is it you get them free? or the guest? One way or another, they are either free to you or sale or return - so whats the problem?

Thats mad. I ring them about three times a week and have never got that. Sometimes get some ejit in poland who carnt even understand me. If its complimentary papers, is it you get them free? or the guest? One way or another, they are either free to you or sale or return - so whats the problem?

Strangeky enough I never had a problem with Easons while other retailers were screaming blue murder about them. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

As to your question, the hotel busy them and gives them to customers FOC.

• Advertisement

Strangeky enough I never had a problem with Easons while other retailers were screaming blue murder about them. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

As to your question, the hotel busy them and gives them to customers FOC.

so just send them back as returns. Say you get 20 every day but only use 10, return the other 10. You say yourself, you are in the posh part of Tallaght, if they wont collect them from Cavan, have a chat with Your local shop and arrange to leave them there for collection.

Problem solved.

so just send them back as returns. Say you get 20 every day but only use 10, return the other 10. You say yourself, you are in the posh part of Tallaght, if they wont collect them from Cavan, have a chat with Your local shop and arrange to leave them there for collection.

Problem solved.

My issue isn't with the sale or return.

My issue is with their crap service, crap billing, and crap way of dealing with problems.

Advertisement