Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cruagh Wood

Options
  • 27-07-2009 10:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Can you camp in Cruagh Wood? I was looking up wild camp sites but there doesn't seem to be any listed around the Dublin/Wicklow area...

Anyone have any info?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I don't think so - its collite land and they may not like that. Mind you no-one takes any notice of the collite bye-laws including collite themselves. I occassionally see people "wild-camping" in and around the three rock-tibradden-cruagh area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Yeah,

I was looking on coillte's website earlier and they haven't anywhere in Leinster listed!

Went for a drive and a walk at the weekend around some of the Dublin Mountains looking for decent areas to camp. Didn't come across any!
    I have walked the track around Cruagh Wood though. I'd imagine that you could head away from the track for a bit and set up camp in there?

Any recommendations? Novice camper here by the way.

Well I was up the hell fire club at the weekend and thats just a short walk from Cruagh and spotted an abandoned tent there, so I imagine people camp up there now and again. I really would be surprised if you were to meet any rangers/foresters/guards etc. Might be a different story if you accidentally camped on private lands.

The only possible worry might be hassle from teenage cider parties.

Are ya serious? They'd be up there drinking? Would the car be OK in the carpark overnight?

Personally I would not leave a car parked overnight in the dublin hills. It would be safer further into wicklow, but the dublin hills are just to close to the big smoke. Cider parties do happen - but its not a case of the hills being alive everynight with various campfires marking scenes of debuchery and drinking.

Please bear in mind that this is just my own opinion - im a bit paranoid about personal security in the hills. Chances are that 99% of the time you wont have a single problem and will enjoy a good night out in the hills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yep, you do get gangs hanging around in the hills, particularly on the Dublin side, or just driving around the roads at night looking to cause hassle.

You're actually better being a little bit off the beaten track or as dogmatix says, further into the Wicklow mountains. If you leave your car parked in or around a public car park or viewing area it's likely to get damaged or stolen.

dogmatix wrote: »
    Personally I would not leave a car parked overnight in the dublin hills. It would be safer further into wicklow, but the dublin hills are just to close to the big smoke. Cider parties do happen - but its not a case of the hills being alive everynight with various campfires marking scenes of debuchery and drinking.

Please bear in mind that this is just my own opinion - im a bit paranoid about personal security in the hills. Chances are that 99% of the time you wont have a single problem and will enjoy a good night out in the hills.
    seamus wrote: »
    Yep, you do get gangs hanging around in the hills, particularly on the Dublin side, or just driving around the roads at night looking to cause hassle.

You're actually better being a little bit off the beaten track or as dogmatix says, further into the Wicklow mountains. If you leave your car parked in or around a public car park or viewing area it's likely to get damaged or stolen.

Thanks for the info lads. Bearing what you've said in mind, is there anywhere else you could recommend? It's just a few lads all novice campers except 1 (He was in the FCA for a while, think they went on a lot of camp-style trips).

Just want to try a 1 nighter to see how we get on. I think it's something I could get into.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Was up near Crone wood on Saturday morning. Four lads in an old car were driving around hassling people in the area.
    Then went and walked some of the Wicklow way. Just past Crone there is some camping happening and the rubbish left around there is unbelievable. I passed a lot of foreigners walking the Wicklow Way and they must get an awful impression .

bullpost wrote: »
    Was up near Crone wood on Saturday morning. Four lads in an old car were driving around hassling people in the area.
    Then went and walked some of the Wicklow way. Just past Crone there is some camping happening and the rubbish left around there is unbelievable. I passed a lot of foreigners walking the Wicklow Way and they must get an awful impression .

What do you mean by 'hassling people' ? what were they doing?

I've read here and on other sites about problems with litter / rubbish. I plan on bringing a couple of plastic bags with me and taking anything home that I brought with me. It's horrible to see someone else's rubbish all over the place like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Driving erratically - giving passers by the finger and driving up the arse of other cars - then passing them and abusing them.
    What do you mean by 'hassling people' ? what were they doing?

I've read here and on other sites about problems with litter / rubbish. I plan on bringing a couple of plastic bags with me and taking anything home that I brought with me. It's horrible to see someone else's rubbish all over the place like that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement