Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I repair the tile edge in my Dormer Valley

Options
  • 27-07-2009 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a leak into a room upstairs where there's a Dormer window. I have been up on the roof and it appears that the mortar edging on the tiles at either side of the lead valley is crumbling and some has fallen out, leaving gaps.

It's not a big area and I feel it would not be a major job to put new mortar on.

I am just wondering is it regular mortar mix (3:1) or is there a special product or mix for the job.

Also, any advice on said job is much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 eosirl08

Hi, 3-1 mix is fine you could even go 4-1. add dye when mixing just make sure there's plenty of dye in the mix, it should almost look jet black, wont take long for the colour to fade down. Make your mix very dry as its easier to work with and use the back of your trowel applying small bits at a time. wash off any mortar off lead straight away as it looks terrible when it stains. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭porte

Hi the advise given above is very good but dont be fooled where water is concerned as you could have aleak elsewhere water will travel also you should have a good over-lap of tile over the lead i just built my house and all last winter my valley had no muck in them at all. Anyway if its safe for you to do so go back up and have a good look for chipped, cracked or loose ridge tiles.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi,

Mortar does keep the water out, in fact I have seen a lot of valleys where the mortar was a contributor to the leak, in the 1980's all valleys fitted in the Fingal area had to be left open !

There are a number of reasons why your roof could be leaking, the reason it shows at the valley is it travels along the felt to the weakest point.

Advertisement