Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving around a bend

• 27-07-2009 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Ok this may seem a bit silly but I've recently started driving and my question is, when you're coming up to a sharp turn/bend, you usually move down a gear, say from 4th to 3rd, now do you put your foot on the break, then the clutch, change gear, slowly lift your foot off the gear and accelerate a bit or do you let the car flow. Can you put your foot straight back on the accelerator even if your foot is completely off the clutch. I hear my dad saying all the time about getting the balance right between the clutch and the accelerator but is this just when you are increasing your speed?
    Sorry if this post doesn't make sense. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Brake until you have reached the speed you need to be at to go around the corner, change down gears if neccesary, as you lift off the clutch from the gear change, lightly press the accelerator to maintain the required speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Best advice I got for going around bends [of which there are loads on the roads around me] is when approaching the bend take your foot off the accelerator, you may or may not need to brake/gear down depending on the bend and your speed coming up to it. Don't touch the accelerator again until you see your exit [ie when your coming around the bend the point were you see the ongoing road ahead of you] then accelerate and continue on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Lucy211

Thanks for your responses, when I slow down and change down gear the car jerked a little bit, perhaps I took my foot off the clutch to fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Lucy211 wrote: »
    Thanks for your responses, when I slow down and change down gear the car jerked a little bit, perhaps I took my foot off the clutch to fast.

Yeh, sounds like you took your foot off too fast at the end.

Just remember to never slow down/change gear/accelerate while cornering, enter at a speed in the appropriate gear and stick with it, naturally slow down if you need to for a hazard though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭Old Gill

Lucy211 wrote: »

it was possibly it was too fast..if you change to 2nd at around 15mph/25kmh and ease back up off the clutch, holding at the biting point for 3 seconds you should be fine

Advertisement