Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soffit and facia--fitted over existing wood

Options
  • 27-07-2009 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

I got a company to replace the soffit and facia on my house (gutters were ok so didn't need doing) however the company simply installed them over the existing wood soffit and facia.
    I had assumed he would remove the old wood first and replace with new aluminium but he said the new stuff had ventilation slots in them and that air would continue to circulate around. When I was checking the job his guys also covered up the water overflow pipe (from attic tank), however they corrected this when I mentioned it.
    But now I'm unsure about his explaination about covering up the wood.
    Anyone got advice on this?
    Should the wood soffit and facia have been removed first?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

None of them remove it. I agree they sould. If there is dry wrot present it wont stop it. If I had my way I would remove it appy new boards then lay the PVC over this. Perhaps the mods can move this up to construction where you will get a more accurate response.

Advertisement