Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHI Swiftcare Clinic

Options
  • 27-07-2009 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has had the same experience as me using the VHI Swiftcare Clinics...

I've used their service twice when my normal GP has been closed and on both occassion it was because of tonsilitus. Now, I regularly suffer from tonsilitus and I've been to my GP about it many times but I've noticed that whenever I go to the Swiftcare clinic the antibiotics they prescribed me cost substantially more than the ones my own GP prescribes me. They also prescribed me painkillers both times I went that I didn't ask for; agree to receiving, or needed.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has found their prescriptions from the clinics to be costly or unnecessary in comparison to their normal GP service? In the case of the Swiftcare clinic in Dundrum I would imagine that most of the business the pharmacy at the Balally Luas stop gets are referrals from them so is it possible that there exists some kind of agreement in place between the pharmacy and the Swiftcare clinic that determines the prescriptions they give out in terms of the brand of drugs etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You don't have to get all the items on your perscription. Talk to the doctor/nurse or chemist, and get them to explain what all the items are, and what they are for.

If you don't need painkillers, don't get them.

I don't see the scam really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Slice wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has had the same experience as me using the VHI Swiftcare Clinics...

I've used their service twice when my normal GP has been closed and on both occassion it was because of tonsilitus. Now, I regularly suffer from tonsilitus and I've been to my GP about it many times but I've noticed that whenever I go to the Swiftcare clinic the antibiotics they prescribed me cost substantially more than the ones my own GP prescribes me. They also prescribed me painkillers both times I went that I didn't ask for; agree to receiving, or needed.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has found their prescriptions from the clinics to be costly or unnecessary in comparison to their normal GP service? In the case of the Swiftcare clinic in Dundrum I would imagine that most of the business the pharmacy at the Balally Luas stop gets are referrals from them so is it possible that there exists some kind of agreement in place between the pharmacy and the Swiftcare clinic that determines the prescriptions they give out in terms of the brand of drugs etc?

I've only been to a Swift Clinic once when I was in dire need.

However.... Have you ever asked the doc why he was giving you more expensive meds or meds that you don't think you need?

Or even ring them back up when you find out the price of them?

If you don't feel the need for the pain meds, don't buy them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Paulw wrote: »
    You don't have to get all the items on your perscription. Talk to the doctor/nurse or chemist, and get them to explain what all the items are, and what they are for.

I know that. But the first time I went it wasn't even pointed out to me that it was on the perscription. I only realised it when the chemist charged me for it. I'm not saying there is a scam, I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Slice wrote: »
    I know that. But the first time I went it wasn't even pointed out to me that it was on the perscription.

That I will agree to. It is damn impossible to read a prescription. I just don't know how the pharmacist does it. However,I would regard it as normal [or maybe recommended] behaviour to tell the patient what they are getting. For example, you may be allergic to certain meds.

No idea about Swift, but the GP's I've gone to always tell me what I'm getting [in a general sense] while I'm with them. Maybe next time, if they don't tell you, ask them to explain it.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

My prescription from them was printed out, not very hard to read.
    I needed some anti-inflams and some other painkillers they put me on the usual ones that
    I'd taken before.

I don't really seen any 'scam' or even an issue at al here. I got my
    prescription and the doctor told me what was on it, if he hadn't
    I would have asked.

They also don't 'refer' you to the pharmacy beside them, you can go wherever you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If you've had tonsillitis before, this will be on your file, along with what was prescribed. It is unwise to keep on using the same antibiotic when an infection reoccurs as it will have built up immunity, hence they will prescribe a different antibiotic.

The painkillers will be optional, but they don't charge you extra for the prescription for them, do they? If the tonsillitis gets worse before it gets better, you would need another appointment, rather than being able to use the prescription you already have.

HOWEVER, you should have asked about all this during your appointment, any doctor will fill you in very quickly.

And you should of course read and understand a prescription (the pharmacist can also answer these questions) before you start taking the medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thread title edited slightly as I am unhappy with referring to this as a 'scam'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

astrofool wrote: »
    If you've had tonsillitis before, this will be on your file, along with what was prescribed. It is unwise to keep on using the same antibiotic when an infection reoccurs as it will have built up immunity, hence they will prescribe a different antibiotic.

The painkillers will be optional, but they don't charge you extra for the prescription for them, do they? If the tonsillitis gets worse before it gets better, you would need another appointment, rather than being able to use the prescription you already have.

HOWEVER, you should have asked about all this during your appointment, any doctor will fill you in very quickly.

And you should of course read and understand a prescription (the pharmacist can also answer these questions) before you start taking the medicine.

I know what I should do, and what my rights are as a patient and a customer. I was simply wondering if anyone else found their prescriptions from the Swiftcare clinic to be costlier compared to their normal GP or had an experience with the place that might be value ...which, clearly, you don't.

As a matter of point I wasn't returning to the clinic the second time for the same throat infection and I don't really know where you're getting it that I didn't read or understand my prescription before taking the prescribed medication.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Now, I regularly suffer from tonsilitus and I've been to my GP about it many times but I've noticed that whenever I go to the Swiftcare clinic the antibiotics they prescribed me cost substantially more than the ones my own GP prescribes me. They also prescribed me painkillers both times I went that I didn't ask for; agree to receiving, or needed.

It really sounds like you need a long term solution for regular tonsillitis, but as already said, what you get prescribed is based on what was prescribed before (which they will have full access to, even on a first visit), antibiotics lose effectiveness if taken in repeat doses.

I do find it hard to imagine someone sitting there and the doctor forcing the painkiller prescription upon them, if you clearly told them that you didn't want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I've used both Swiftcare, and the similar one in Smithfield (can't remember the name right now) and haven't come across that. I was treated for a broken ankle in the Swiftcare once, and the doctor said "I'm giving you a prescription for these painkillers if you really need them, but see how you get on with some Nurofen for the first few days" (paraphrasing).

• Advertisement
Advertisement