Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

InDesign Help Needed

Options
  • 27-07-2009 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,
    This is the first of a few helps I may need!!!

I have done a course in the basics of InDesign. However, it hasn’t really been enough to deal with certain specifics that I am encountering. So I apologise in advance for the questions below!!

Firstly, I am looking at creating a design for a small box. I have received the ‘keyline’ from my printer and just need some help in going about setting up my document and getting it sent off to print.

The keyline that I have been sent is a PDF document that has dimensions of 18.53 x 9.07 inches and of course the ‘box’ is an irregular shape within those dimensions, but fitting right to the edges of those dimensions.

So my questions:

- Do I set up my InDesign page to those same dimensions or slightly larger?

- Since the object is an irregular shape it cannot easily take a bleed etc. Is this a stupid question but is there a way of getting a bleed around an irregular shaped object or do I just assume a bleed and the keyline when being cut out will cut to exact shape?

- In preparing to Design, do I set the keyline as one layer and then my designs as another layer and just get working on it?

- Finally this links in with the last question….Is there a specific way that this needs to be exported to a PDF when sending to printers, so that the outline of the keyline is visible?

Any and all help that you can provide with this would be amazing.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Hank_Scorpio

- Do I set up my InDesign page to those same dimensions or slightly larger?

Make it slightly large, it won't matter anyway, your box will be diecut, meaning a forme will be made from wood with metal blades in the shape of the cutout box. The pages are passed through a machine which presses the blades into the paper cutting out the shape. The printers can trim any excess paper.

Check with your printers the size sheet they are printing on, get a guide from them, or ask them the best way to set up.

Personally I'd make it 20 inches x 11 inches and place the box in the center of the page as best as possible.
    - Since the object is an irregular shape it cannot easily take a bleed etc. Is this a stupid question but is there a way of getting a bleed around an irregular shaped object or do I just assume a bleed and the keyline when being cut out will cut to exact shape?

Now that you've included an extra 2 inches all around the irregular shape, just drop the bleed outside the keyline that was provided. As I said earlier, a forme will cut out the shape, so anything past the keyline is bleed. Leave as much bleed as possible.

- In preparing to Design, do I set the keyline as one layer and then my designs as another layer and just get working on it?

Yes, put the keyline on upper most layer so it's visible all the time. MAKE SURE YOU SET YOUR KEYLINE TO OVERPRINT. You can do this by going to Window>Attributes and set the stroke to Overprint (in InDesign) there's a similar option in Illustrator. Give the Keyline a Spot Colour and call it KEYLINE DO NOT PRINT.
    - Finally this links in with the last question….Is there a specific way that this needs to be exported to a PDF when sending to printers, so that the outline of the keyline is visible?

When you send it to PDF it's best to check with the printers what settings to use.

You could use the PDFx1a:2001. But it's best to get a PDF Joboptions from your printers if you're unsure how to correctly make it.

If they do not have a joboptions to send it to you. Ask them can you send the InDesign file and the links too. Use File>Package to collect everything you need for the file. ZIP/Stuffit the files and organise a way to send them to your printers.

Most printers will take in files to prep for press, but ask them first anyway.

It might be best to send them the indesign files and links and fonts anyway, if you don't know how to make a good PDF you could end up in big trouble when the print comes back.

You should be able to organise a day with the prepress to sit down and go through how to make a good PDF. And even how to properly set up your print job for the future.

You never know, there could be things you've missed.

Drop me a PM if you'd like me to have a look at the indesign file. If you go File>Export and choose Indesign Interchange, I should be able to open it. I won't need any images or fonts (except perhaps the keyline)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 TheFoundation

Thank you so much Hank Scorpio for your help on this.

This is great. Much appreciated.

Advertisement