Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beach closed to cars.

Options
  • 27-07-2009 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭

Whats the story,have a mobile in Rush and drove down to the beach yesterday and the barrier was down,no cars on the beach,did something happen.
    I couldent find anywhere to park so dident get to get on the beach.Would normaly walk but have a gammy leg at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i am sure other poster can confirm this but i know there has been a lot of messing with cars recently on the beach maybe its down to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Presumably you are referring to the south beach? The north beach and harbour beach are still accessible to vehicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Yes,sorry it was the South Beach.I know a lot of cars drive very fast along the beach,I saw a car doing handbrake turns one day spraying a family with sand,they were very upset as you would imagine.
    Was wondering how the surfers are going to get their gear down the beach.I love watching them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 oxide

Hi All,

I am one of the local surfers. This weekend was the first time we had to launch by the carpark. Right pain in the ass as our cars have been tampered with already. Wouldnt mind only for this. The carpark is covered with broken glass and litter aswell. A lot of passserbys approached a few of us over the weekend saying it is a disgrace that the gates are locked. See below for response from council.

Dear Sir,
    RE: Vehicular Access - Rush South Beach

Further to my previous letter, I now attach the received reply from Mr P at Kenny, Fingal County Council, Enterprise and Environment Department dated today.

You will note its contents and I regret that while the Council would acknowledge the desire of the kitesurfers for vehicular access, it would be extremely difficult to justify to other users of the beach the special status afforded to kitesurfers if they were to be permitted vehicular access. Therefore, the Council cannot grant you vehicular access on beaches.

In the meantime, should you have any other queries, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will do my best to address them on your behalf.

Yours Sincerely,
    Michael Kennedy, TD

Dear Deputy,

I refer to your representations as detailed in the attached email.

You will be aware from the email sent to all public representatives by PJ Howell on 29th May that the Council has been concerned for a period of time with the dangers posed by vehicular traffic on Fingal beaches. Only three beaches in Fingal could be accessed by vehicular traffic up until recently, Donabate and Rush North and South. The proposal by the Council to close to vehicular traffic these beaches was fully discussed and agreed with the Gardai.

Donabate as you are probably aware is already closed and it is proposed to close both beaches in Rush without further delay.

While the Council would acknowledge the desire of the kitesurfers for vehicular access, it would be extremely difficult to justify to other users of the beach the special status afforded to kitesurfers if they were to be permitted vehicular access.

Yours sincerely,

Pat Kenny,
    Environment Department.
    Tel: 8906749.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

I noticed the kite surfers having to set off from the car park, looked a pain for yas alright, Im sorry about that, but its for the greater good.

Also, the North beach (as I mentioned in another thread yesterday) had been closed off as well leaving only the harbour beach accessible to vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I am delighted to see the beach closed off. As QOTSA90 points out its for the greater good.

I have lived in Rush all my life and the beach was our playground as kids, no swings or slides just open spaces. An odd tractor getting wore and the odd person getting a driving lesson. Dont know what the other cars were doing there at night;)

As the kitesurfers will know there has been a lot of cars on the beach and people on Quads going up and down which is unfair to people who want to bring their kids down to run free but have to put up with cars. I have left the beach on numerous occasions because of this and have made a good few calls to the Gardái about it.

One solution is to put bolders out in front of the carpark and not half way up the beach like the last time.

Also if it meant a clean beach I would be in favour of cars paying to get onto the beach between 9.30am and 3.30pm at weekends. It was in Laytown the last time I was there about 2 years ago and the place was spotless.

Advertisement