Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike robbed-any suggestions?

Options
  • 27-07-2009 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

so my boyfriends bike and mine were robbed from the eyre square shopping centre bike racks the night of the arts parade (20th). there are cameras there and i reported it to the guards on the 21st, but they say they have very little recovery rate at the moment....super!

does anyone know what else can be done about this? or where does anyone have any second hand bikes for sale/free;).
    i would be delighted if anyone could help

lisa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,490 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Sorry to hear that.

I always park my bike there and thought it was a safe enough place although nowhere is completely secure around town of course.

Whats the point in cameras if they arent picking anything up !

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Great White

A friend of mine's bike was nicked recently and he went around to all the local bike shops ( on advice from the gardai ) to tell the owners that his bike had been nicked. He gave a description of the bike and left it at that not expecting much. However, the same day he got a call from one of the owners to say a local little chancer came in a tried to sell the bike to him. The owner asked him a few questions, the kid got nervous and ran off.
    Have a go at the same approach. Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 lisalaois

yeah i did that, the cornestore bike shop was not helpful and said people come in all the time and he wouldnt take the description of bike, but my bike was vandalised a week before it was robbed an i took it to western bikes (or whatever its called) on Dominick street and they fixed it and i paid 50euro for it (it was badly damaged) and iv been there so often that they knew what it looks like!
    so they were helpful,

the guards came up with quite an unusual excuse as to why so many bikes are being robbed:
    apparently they think foreigners are robbing them and taking them out of the country to sell elsewhere!!! what a crazy theory!

anyway don’t park your bike overnight at any city centre bike racks, i live in an apartment in town and parked it there coz my flat is two floors up with no bike racks up there.

so if anyone has a bike i could buy that would be super, i just need any old bike to get me to gmit and back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Mean_Mudda

Just had my bike wheels taken on Fri night.
    They tried to take the bike but I had a decent lock,
    which their hacksaw blade cuddn't get through..
    Next step is to setup a trap for em..
    All baseball bat owners welcome to come along.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

lisalaois wrote: »
    ....the guards came up with quite an unusual excuse as to why so many bikes are being robbed:
    apparently they think foreigners are robbing them and taking them out of the country to sell elsewhere!!! what a crazy theory!

Not crazy at all, but does not apply to your average rusty bicycle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭damalo

To answer your original question -

Get another bike cause there is .001% chance of you getting it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Mean_Mudda wrote: »
    Next step is to setup a trap for em..
    A trap would be good. I'm willing to put my bike up as bait some fri/sat night. I hate robbers!

To the OP, I've had my bikes stolen 3 times, I've gotten it back twice. Can you post a pic here of your bike and list any distinguishing features.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

GIven that second hand bikes normally go for €50-100, you've almost no chance of either getting it back or getting one for free.

You could go the Garda clearouts though, they sell on reclaimed bikes for €20. Head into Mill Street and ask the Garda on duty there. THey had a good selection last time I was there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

I'd go to the owner of the premises that was close to where at was taken and ask them nicely if they would look at their cctv and narrow the times down as much as you possibly can, if you come up with anything go back to the gaurds.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

welcome to the club.

one bike stolen, another two kicked to ****. So annoying, i mean with the clip on wheels, u need two locks to keep them secure, then some fecker will take the saddle Ahhhhh:mad:

i have often though of leaving my bike in college over night and waiting till some drunk bum comes along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Robbing bikes has been big business since the 80's and unfortunately it is a sad fact of life that no matter what precautions you take ... if you bike is targeted it will be stolen. DOn't think a top of the range lock is going to prevent your bike from being robbed. The best prevention is a crap looking bicycle ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,490 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Robbing bikes has been big business since the 80's and unfortunately it is a sad fact of life that no matter what precautions you take ... if you bike is targeted it will be stolen. DOn't think a top of the range lock is going to prevent your bike from being robbed. The best prevention is a crap looking bicycle ;)

Thats what's I have learned.

A sh!te bike for heading into town if I know I will be leaving it there for a while and a decent bike for going on a proper cycle.

They never touch my 2nd hand bike interestingly enough. I'd say I could leave it unlocked :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Mean_Mudda

DOn't think a top of the range lock is going to prevent your bike from being robbed.

Worked for me last Friday. They got me wheels though :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 lisalaois

yes the guards are selling bike in 3months, they sell them every 3 months for 20euro and i just missed the last boat.
    http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/gi/giant-04-gsr-comfort-trekking-aluxx-ladies-2004-giant-bikes.jpg
    thats the link to a pic of my bike its prity similar to this, with a black metal basket (although i bet the n***er pulled it off coz its not cool)
    http://media.rei.com/media/oo/455c6dd0-96ee-414e-bb75-a1b39a675c31.jpg
    link to basket,

im trying to buy a second hand bike but the shops dont have any at the moment....ill just call in again later in the week,

my bike was a blue giant, there expensive to buy new but this one was about 5 years old with rust on handle bars,
    anywho, i hear the city council take bikes from railings and poles around the city if they are 'in the way' so the guards said, does anyone know who i could contact to see if my bike ended up in there warehouse?
    many thanks

also as for the cameras......facing the bike rack, the guards have the tapes and i just have to wait for 'them to do there job' :D

Advertisement