Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knishes! maybe...

Options
  • 27-07-2009 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

So yesterday I made my first attempt at making knishes based on the recipe in vegan with a vengeance. It was much more work than I thought it would be! They needed 100 mins in the oven in total and making the dough plus fillings took about half an hour.

I've attached images of the sweet potatoes, simply because they were weird and I've never encountered them before, and of the knishes pre and post baking. The filings are baked potato + onion, baked potato + onion + spinach, and baked sweet potato. I'm having them for lunch today along with some carrot bisque =)

Hoping to get better and faster at making them, and at working with dough in general because I suck and always seem to end up needing to add more flour than is strictly a good idea, just so things won't stick to everything...

Enjoy! (with your eyes =P)

oh and each large roll is cut into 5 knishes ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

First time I've ever seen or heard of such contraptions.. (except when you mentioned them previously).

Seem like a bit of a chore too cook though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

Yep, had never heard of them myself before I saw them in the book. They're definitely not a quick snack. Shouldn't be too much work with practice as most of the time they're just sitting in the oven. Still, quicker meals will be my preference for a while yet =)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No idea what they were when you were talking about. Looks like a pastry bag of foods I love, so they must be awesome!

Well done on your cooking. SOmetimes it takes a long time, but the taste is great.

hah, yeah. I'd say pastry bags is fairly accurate. The sweet potato ones turned out a bit... wetter... than the other ones, but it all tastes great =) On the up-side, while I didn't make perfect knishes, I could in future happily stop halfway and have mashed baked potatos with onion mixed in =D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

cocoa wrote: »
    hah, yeah. I'd say pastry bags is fairly accurate. The sweet potato ones turned out a bit... wetter... than the other ones, but it all tastes great =) On the up-side, while I didn't make perfect knishes, I could in future happily stop halfway and have mashed baked potatos with onion mixed in =D

Damn you I'm going to the kitchen. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

mmmm baked sweet potato :) I havn't had baked spuds in ages!
    Thank's for the visual delight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Eviecus

I know you are saying it took ages to make and what not but was it worth it? Everything looks tasty. Would you recommend I try it? I have that book at home! :D

Yeah, I'd reccomend trying it, for the experience if nothing else. My advice would be to go for just one filling though, and the amounts for fillings seemed way to much to me but maybe I just didn't stretch my dough enough. 4 sweet potatoes was way too much though, 2 would be better...

So yeah, go for it! Just make modest amounts of fillings, maybe just of one type. It doesn't really take that much actual work as it's mostly often time and I happened to be making carrot bisque at the same time so it seemed like more work =P

Good luck! =)

PS: something a bit faster in that book which tastes amazing even if, like me, you don't really know about this whole cooking business is parsnip + spring onion pancakes. Just use a machine to grate the parsnips tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

cocoa wrote: »
    The sweet potato ones turned out a bit... wetter... than the other ones, but it all tastes great =)

If I was cooking summat and I'd used too much water, I'd sprinkle oatmeal in to absorb excess moisture. You do need to add extra flavourings as oatmeal can be a blandizer, taste-wise.
    Mebbe next time, dust some oatmeal mixed with cinnamon on the pastry, before you drop a dollop of sweet potatoe on the pastry base? Or herbs for a savory knish.

Also, I got a can of cooked sweet potato pieces in the Asia market (in syrup, mind you), in Drury St. I've a feeling you can probably get sweet potato mash in a can there too. Not as nutritious as freshly cooked, I'm sure but t'would probably speed up cooking times? Keep an eye out, next time you're in an asian food store.

Oh, and spicy wedges, made half and half with sweet potatoes and regular spuds - glorious. Don't have a recipe tho, only happy memories.

Also, I got a can of cooked sweet potato pieces in the Asia market (in syrup, mind you), in Drury St. I've a feeling you can probably get sweet potato mash in a can there too. Not as nutritious as freshly cooked, I'm sure but t'would probably speed up cooking times? Keep an eye out, next time you're in an asian food store.

Heh, wouldn't reduce it much as the sweet potatoes bake faster than the potatoes and peeling + mashing them doesn't take much time at all, would take even less time if I had the right amount =D

I'll def try the outmeal to dry things up in future though =) I think it was really just that my dough was too thinly spread in places...

• Advertisement
Advertisement