Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do ye get your ideas from?

Options
  • 27-07-2009 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

Ok newbie to this forum purely because i've got no tattoo's (yet) ,
    Thing is for a couple of years i love tattoo's and love to get one but i'm too indecisive!!! and another thing is i've been told that i change my mind way too often so if i got one that i liked i'd hate it in a months time!

So, please tell me, how do you choose a tattoo thats going to be on you for the rest of your life?? Do you go with what simply looks cool or good? go with one that means something and tells a little story? Go with what your interests are in? Or just something that inspires you at the time?

I'm stumped because i'm afraid i'l get something and hate it years to come i change my mind so often!

How did ye get your ideas for them?

I like illusions, also something that would mean something to me and i'd like to design it myself as i think that always makes it better but if i see something good enough i won't mind!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Ok newbie to this forum purely because i've got no tattoo's (yet) ,
    Thing is for a couple of years i love tattoo's and love to get one but i'm too indecisive!!! and another thing is i've been told that i change my mind way too often so if i got one that i liked i'd hate it in a months time!

So, please tell me, how do you choose a tattoo thats going to be on you for the rest of your life?? Do you go with what simply looks cool or good? go with one that means something and tells a little story? Go with what your interests are in? Or just something that inspires you at the time?

I'm stumped because i'm afraid i'l get something and hate it years to come i change my mind so often!

How did ye get your ideas for them?

I like illusions, also something that would mean something to me and i'd like to design it myself as i think that always makes it better but if i see something good enough i won't mind!
    Only one of my tattoo's has any meaning behind it, the others were just one's I liked or cos my friend needed practice. I've a few more planned, 2 that have a meaning to me and two just cos I want lotus flowers on my knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I usually choose what I get tattooed no me by how much the image "speaks" (coundn't think of a less poncy term:rolleyes:) to me, or if I respect the artist, or if the image has some resonance with me or something thats happened or happening in my life.
    I kind of think of tattoos as markers of points in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

Diceicle wrote: »
    I usually choose what I get tattooed no me by how much the image "speaks" (coundn't think of a less poncy term:rolleyes:) to me, or if I respect the artist, or if the image has some resonance with me or something thats happened or happening in my life.
    I kind of think of tattoos as markers of points in my life.

That's good advice, i want to definitly get something that 'speaks' to me :rolleyes: i don't want to get just any old thing!

oh yeah another thing is that i like rare things so it can't really look like anything anyone else has....

so i guess i'm asking ye do ye have any good websites to get inspiration from or do ye just flick through magazines and portfolios?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

first couple I got I didn't think about too much, either the design or the placement. I've since got one of them incorporated into a bigger tatt. Have plans to work around the other one too. Not cover ups, just make them part of bigger tattoos. Because I didn't think about placement on those tatts it meant I was limited in getting other stuff done which would have looked better in that spot but customising the space is part of the fun too.

Now I just constantly gather images I like, save them, look at them with other images and try to work out ways of modifying them or blending various different ones together. I have some of the images years and still haven't come up with something I want, but the images still appeal to me. Those that don't still appeal after time are deleted.

Something generally pops into your head at random points in time and you work out what you want to get done. Unless it's something specific you want, you should wait around months, or longer even, and see what way your mind is down the line. There's a lot of tatts I could have gotten done on impulse, but glad I didn't. The one's I did get on impulse , while somewhat annoying are still ok and actually help me come up with better pieces around them to suit. Would still prefer if I was thinking sleeve rather than individual piece though back then.

The various tattoo websites and artists portfolios will give you lots of ideas. Don't limit your search to just tatts though. Google image search is great for both tattoos and art generally. You can come up with a lot of ideas from looking at peoples electronic art / deviant art etc.

Advertisement