Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christchurch vandalised

• 27-07-2009 12:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭

This is such sad news, especially after all the effort they went to with the renovations. Boggles the mind what heartless thugs can do! :(

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0727/waterford.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

That really is shocking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I was going in today to get tickets for the phantom of the opera screening next week and all. I heard on the radio that they're still going ahead with it though, they don't want it to get them down. Hope they catch the toerags who did it. It really is depressing around the cathedral square area now, it looks like somewhere out of the bronx :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Shocking. Just cant get over why somebody would do that. Hope whoever did it is caught. Should be CCTV around the area that might help.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

catch the little feckers and cut the legs off them, disgraceful stuff

Yeah I guess there is CCTV alright somewhere around what with the corporation building/city hall just around the corner. Feel so bad for the place though they had done such an excellent job of bringing it back to all of its former glory, and now for this to happen. Probably junkies or something I'd guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

scum of the earth... they should be injected with acid for that.. direct into an artery!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Any more details on the damage to the organ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Boils my blood,

Hanging is too good for them.

No news on the organ yet. Rang them up earlier about Friday night and they said that they are renting a mobile organ from Cork for the screening. :( Ya gotta hand it to them though for their profesionalism, fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Jesus lad, breakin into the Catholic church is the lowest of the low so it is:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Jesus lad, breakin into the Catholic church is the lowest of the low so it is:(
    Isnt it Protestant church:confused:
    Still low and disgraceful though :(

Not being picky but Christchurch is a protestant cathedral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

ahh doesn't matter catholic or protestant...

its part of the culture of the city...
    Hope they get the little scumbags and beat the **** out of them and their parents...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Isnt it Protestant church:confused:
    Still low and disgraceful though :(
    Asmodean wrote: »
    Not being picky but Christchurch is a protestant cathedral.

Dont matter. Still shockin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

It's an absolute disgrace. You can be damn sure that *if* they catch those responsible and they are up in court in 6 months time, that nothing whatsoever will be done to them. Disadvantaged backgrounds, never had a chance, drinking problems, been seeing a psychologist since, etc., etc.

250,000 worth of damage for the sake of 200 euro out of a safe. I contributed a couple of euro or so in a box to the restoration of that church, like many others. These animals have cancelled out 100,000 such donations in one act of greed and wantonness. But it wasn't a rush of blood to the head. The planning that must have went into climbing up the walls, breaking into tower part and then smashing their way down through the roof.

If I had my way they'd be stoned (in the biblical sense).

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

young people this days have no respect for anything is nothing sacred these days

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Whats to suggest it is young people? I mean, from the sound of things whoever did it had a fair idea what they were doing. Climbed into the bell tower, made a hole in the celling, ransacked the place to grab whatever money they could find and left. Your average criminal doesnt do that! Plus I cant see many young folk bothering climbing into the bell tower with drilling equipement, cutting a hole etc.

Yeah definitely this wasn't some random act of thuggery. There must have been a lot of planning and preperation involved.

Not to make light of the situation but it has a real sense of indiana Jones to it doesn't it?

But back on topic IMO it doesn't sound like the average druggie or hoodie just smashing a door down.

I'm thinking what kind of money did Phantom of the Opera take in? maybe they where looking for that. Even as it looks like it was planned surely they must have had some kind of objective and didn't go through all that just to hope to find something valuable.

Either way, I'd be happy to see them thrown off the new bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭navalus

Strange the building didnt have an alarm?

• Advertisement

navalus wrote: »

Cant say I know many churches who do tbh.

As its on two nights thats a couple of hundred tickets roughly at 12E a pop. Never thought of that as a possible motive. Maybe they did think that there were valuables inside such as gold and silverware such as chalices/candlesticks. I don't know that material the actual pipes in the organ are made of but I'm surprised the ***** didn't gut that too. Although the size of it it would of hardly been inconspicious, just guessing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭navalus

I hope they decide to install an alarm, this could happen again . Its a miracle the scum didnt start a fire .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 cathedral

Hello folks
    the Phantom of the Opera (1925) starring Lon Chaney will go ahead as planned on Friday and Saturday at 10pm at Christ Church Cathedral. We're bringing in a temporary organ from Cork to have live accompaniment by Eric Sweeney as advertised.

thanks for all the good wishes and support from everyone...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I hope they decide to install an alarm, this could happen again . Its a miracle the scum didnt start a fire .

Alarms cost money and installing them without ruining walls/windows etc could be a bigger issue also.

I'd imagine sensors inside instead of window alarms would be the best bet but again it costs money and I'd imagine upto now people were more concerned about restoring the place then security.

Tried and failed in Tramore anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Really upsetting, not in anyway religious but it's deadly building and it took soo much time and work to renovate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

deise48 wrote: »
    young people this days have no respect for anything is nothing sacred these days

How dare you!

As a young person myself, I find it atrocious that the minority - the scum of this town seems to represent us all. If you were to change the word "young" in your sentence to "black" or "polish" you would be arrested.

Back on topic - Regardless of whether this is a Catholic/Protestant/Hindu temple, what has been done to this building is absolutely atrocious! Christ Church cathedral is a building that is not only associated with the protestant population of our city but it is a landmark for all to be proud of.
    It's a truly beautiful temple and for it to be vandalised like this is sickening.

I hope the thugs are caught and justice is done to them.

I feel really bad for the people who regularly use this cathedral. It's going to be difficult to repair the damage, and the collecting funds is going to be harder now with our recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

deise48 wrote: »

"young people"... such a blatant attack and generalisation of all young people is extremely offensive and unfounded.
    As a young person myself, I find it atrocious that the minority - the scum of this town seems to represent us all. If you were to change the word "young" in your sentence to "black" or "polish" you would be arrested.

Totally agree!!

Hopefully now they'll have one installed.

• Advertisement

How dare you!

Well said, Fight your corner young man because noone is. I am maintaing untill I see other wise that this wasn't some young scumbags but an organised heist for want of a better word.

Best of luck to the church, I hope they catch them and it works out in the end.

Advertisement