Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ford Fusion?

• 27-07-2009 12:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭

Are these any use? My future sister-in-law is looking for a small diesel for around 5k. She's eyeing up one of these. Are they decent? Any alternatives for the money spring to mind? I suggested a Mazda 3, but they seem to be petrol only. Anyone know mpg compared to a Fusion?
    Cheers guys...

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Fusion wasn't very popular - realistically it's just an old model Fiesta jacked up a bit.

It's fine though, reliable, and the 1.4 TDCI will be very light on fuel. I'd go for it, if the price was very right only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

They just did very well in the JDPower survey, a lot better than some other big names. Dull styling but if you can overlook that then a capable car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Cheers guys. Economy and reliability are here two criteria. Doesn't care about style or performance. Sounds like a runner then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The Fusion is also very closely related to the first generation Mazda 2 which might be worth a look. Other Superminis on Steroids would include the Nissan Note, Honda Jazz and Mitsubishi Colt (5 door), then you get into the supermini MPV territory like the Opel Meriva, Fiat Idea, etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,908 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Have a fusion myself, was between it and a Polo, and very glad we went with the fusion, large boot (fits the buggy nicely), spacious inside, drives nicely, and well matched to the 1.4 litre engine it has.

Also comes with alloys, A/C, heated front windscreen and privacy glass as standard from 2006 onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Its nothing special but looks decent enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

bogmanfan wrote: »
    Doesn't care about style or performance.

Just as well. We had a 1.4 TDCi one as a rental in Italy last year, and it was unbeliveably painful to drive. I took to screaming "PLEASE!!! COME ON!!!" as we crawled up mountain roads with streams of angry and impatient Italians in my wake. It did manage to hit 130km/h on the autostrada, but that might have been down hill. I still curse every time I see one.

On the plus side, It was very light on fuel, and it had good spec and space for a car of its size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Drove a fusion once, not a bad car to be fair. Like a fiesta to drive, just a bit more roll through the corners. The 1.4TDCi certainly doesnt like to be rushed though(That said, i also drove a peugeot 307 SW with the same engine and OMG!:eek:). Many of the early ones in your budget OP are very sparsely equipped. The one i drove, an 03, had central locking and pretty much nothing else. Not great interior plastics either tbh. A pretty good buy for the right price though!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

We had one in the family.
    The 1.4 TDCI engine is ok, easy on juice (a miser actually) but not very powerfull.
    Try and get the fusion 2 spec upwards.
    The seats I remember were'nt the most supportive oe comfy on a long run but space is planty inside of thse with a low boot sill to aid easy loading.

Advertisement