Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

conversion gas installation

• 27-07-2009 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all,

Doing my first conversion at the moment and I have a question regarding the gas installation.
    Are there any special regulations or can it be as simple as the gas barbeque type of installation (just a 8mm gas hose from bottle to hob)?
    Can the gas bottle be located inside the van? Under the hob?

I don't want the insurance company having me change it as I understand I need to send them pictures from the installation.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

When you come to insure the camper they will want pictures of the gas instalation, if it aint right! you aint gettin in!
    Check out www.sbmcc.co.uk for the full spec on gas instalation.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 boardsiebob

if it aint right! you aint gettin in!

Are you talking from experience? Have you had insurance refused?
    They only want a picture from the gas bottle connection. I just phoned them.
    No special conditions as long as the gas bottle is secured.
    I was afraid they would make me install an external bottle compartment or something.

There doesn't seem to be a howto guide on sbmcc.co.uk or at least I can't find it. I'll check their forum when I am validated for it.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 48 merc camper

You will need to provide pictures of the gas connection at the cooker. I think you will also need a pic of the the gas cylinder located outside the van when in use. Not sure but I think the cylinder has to be kept outside when in use. You may also have to use copper pipe for the installation. My cylinder is stored outside the van they were happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

My gas bottles are located under a seat, compact, and sealed when the seat is closed, strapped, and there is a drop off vent at the bottom of the compartment to allow gas to escape in case of a leak. There should be an isolation valve for all appliances, and the gas supply should be fitted ridgedly, ie, copper tube rather than rubber hose, and clipped at regular intervals.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 boardsiebob

Thanks Billy B and merc c for your input.
    It looks like there are no clear guidelines for the insurance to be happy.
    Inside van is fine as long as it is strapped.

btw I would put the vent up from the gas bottle as gas rises.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

LPG is heavier than air, vents below

Advertisement