Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Type II Diabetes

Options
  • 27-07-2009 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help/guide.

I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes this morning. The doctor said he'd like me to learn how to do the blood levels tests etc. I assume he will make this appointment for me?

I have lost 3 stone in weight since I last saw him (still a bit to lose) so he now wants to redo the first batch of blood tests before I go back to see where the bloods are before he decides on treatment.

Its all a bit overwhelming just wondering if there is anyone else out there in similar situation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

You are most definitely not alone. Diagnosed myself about 4 months ago and now just over 2 stone lighter. Your doctor should refer you to your local diabetic unit. They will make an appointment for you to attend them.

Taking the blood tests isnt that difficult. The diabetic unit will show you how.

If you havent applied for your long term illness card do so now. No point spending money you dont have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Thanks Beano,

On the LTI card, does the fact that I have VHI mean anything here?
    Beano wrote: »
    You are most definitely not alone. Diagnosed myself about 4 months ago and now just over 2 stone lighter. Your doctor should refer you to your local diabetic unit. They will make an appointment for you to attend them.

Taking the blood tests isnt that difficult. The diabetic unit will show you how.

If you havent applied for your long term illness card do so now. No point spending money you dont have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Huggles wrote: »
    Thanks Beano,

On the LTI card, does the fact that I have VHI mean anything here?

The VHI isnt relevant. Anybody with one of the proscribed illnesses (of which diabetes is one) is entitled to an LTI irrespective of means. Basically you dont have to pay for any of your diabetes medications including the testing strips and lancets for your glucose tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nikster

Doing the blood glucose tests isn't difficult. You'll get used to it really quickly. I've been diabetic for 14 years now, but I do remember being completely overwhelmed when I was first diagnosed. You might want to have a look at the diabetic association website diabetes.ie. It will arm you with lots of useful information. The more you know, the easier it is to deal with the changes in lifestyle.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 29 RogueFaye

I was just diag 4 weeks ago and I'm currently on insulin, Novo and levemir.
    The finger pricking for blood glucose testing is painless, the insulin Could be painful if u inject into muscle, but if you picked a right fat tissue, You won't feel a thing. It's the insulin allergies that's wrecking me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- just like to remind you- while we can compare notes, our diagnosis, our own personal experiences and/or offer suggestions or tips to each other- we are not allowed to offer medical advice in this forum.

Cheers,

SMcCarrick

Advertisement