Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John O'Donoghue and his travel spending spree

Options
  • 27-07-2009 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

from indo
    Mr O'Donoghue, his wife and a private secretary ran up travel expenses of more than €60,000 a year between them in each of two years when he was serving as Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism.

They stayed in luxury hotels in Venice, Berlin, London and Paris at up to €1,000 a night per guest, and incurred huge bills for luxury limousine hire and transfers. The figures, released to a Sunday newspaper under the Freedom of Information Act, exclude the extensive use of the government jet.

Defenders of the Ceann Comhairle said yesterday that all the accommodation and incidentals had been procured by his departmental officials. It was also suggested that such expenditure was necessary in order to encourage the location of big events, such as the Ryder Cup, in Ireland.

The new documents come after it was revealed recently that Mr O'Donoghue, his wife Kate Ann, and two civil servants racked up a €27,000 travel bill in New York over the course of just four days.

Mr O'Donoghue was refusing to comment yesterday on the new disclosures, which include €120 "hat rental".

One expense was listed as €80 for "Indians" moving the party's luggage.

The publicly funded high life is of course so 2006 and I can only presume
    no minister would dream of spending in such a 'fla-hoolacht' fashion in the current circumstances. Ahem.

And where is the interest from the media or the opposition? Hardly to be heard just some dull reportage, no outrage at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

mike65 wrote: »
    f
    And where is the interest from the media or the opposition? Hardly to be heard just some dull reportage, no outrage at all.

I would imagine the lack of interest from the opposition in regards to these matters might point to them on the whole being every bit as bad in regards to their expenses.

Unvouched expenses are a joke. Of course rather than any of our elected officials having to cut back on their lifestyles sure we'll just stick an extra levy onto something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Resignations abounded in Britain as a result of something similar.
    We're different, we encourage our representatives to be pampered.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

snubbleste wrote: »
    Resignations abounded in Britain as a result of something similar.
    We're different, we encourage our representatives to be pampered.

I thought the UK people resigned due to things like "Moat drainage" and mortgage payments on houses they already had paid off etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

"YOU WILL WITHDRAW THAT STATEMENT!!!":D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wZX_Jfvm_Y&

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Before people condemn The Bull out of hand, he probably had nothing to do with the actual booking arrangements.

Blame the Civil Servants who set up these things,great little people at spending taxpayers money.

That said, someone should have queried to expenditure and set out guidelines for such occasions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

BOHSBOHS wrote: »
    "YOU WILL WITHDRAW THAT STATEMENT!!!":D

I love it when the Dail reminds me of the Knesset.

To be a bit fair Mike, there's obviously interest from the Indo and I assume "released to a Sunday newspaper" is code for the Tribune or Murdoch Times so at least two papers have run with it. Though it admittedly isn't a very well-written story from the Indo, interested as I am for the rationale for the hat rental.

I assume the 27 grand wasn't actually spent on the four people for travel in New York. That's where the story falls apart for me. They meant to use a "to" maybe and a better second clause? Assuming that, it's probably no more newsworthy than the other fancy spending our elected and non-elected officials have been indulging in. Not that this isn't wrong - it is - but that's probably why the story is so short.

Bad manners of O'Donoghue's people to say that the responsibility all lies with the civil service though. O'Donoghue was supposed to be boss of his own department and hence takes responsibility for what that department does during his tenure. They should at least have used the words "concerned", "unknown" and "unfortunate" to avoid him looking like a gormless idiot in charge of a car driving itself.

sceptre wrote: »
    Bad manners of O'Donoghue's people to say that the responsibility all lies with the civil service though. O'Donoghue was supposed to be boss of his own department and hence takes responsibility for what that department does during his tenure. They should at least have used the words "concerned", "unknown" and "unfortunate" to avoid him looking like a gormless idiot in charge of a car driving itself.

its true to say that officials organised the trips but I doubt he put up too much of a fight on the comfort front.

I understand that we send representatives to events, meetings etc and that that costs but there should be some reasonable limits to costs.

I also note that his "travel bill" of €100,000 is being called "expenses" in what seems to be an attempt to make it look like he recieved €100,000 into his hand which is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I've worked with this guy personally 1 on 1, and his staff on a number of occasions.
    From personal experience, I have little doubt that he pushed his staff for the most expensive stuff on these junkets. Thats his style, and anybody who has known him or worked for/with him, will, if they are honest will agree. I've seen him belittle things he considered cheap, and I can certainly imagine him doing the same on a larger scale on the junkets abroad.

I'm light on details for privacy reasons. Screw my NDAs, but this guy is a class A c0ckhead, and considers himself a cut above the rest. I've seen him throw actual temper tantrums(throwing stuff at his staff) because he didn't get what he wanted. No wonder his staff have the taxpayer pay for only the best hotels/limos for him...

But really what will happen in the end? Debate on boards? Not a lot else, I would imagine.
    I have no anti government/FF agenda, but I thought I'd throw my thoughts into the pot as thankfully I no longer work with these clowns.

I could well believe that.

What is now needed is some leadership in Govt. to set up guidelines to prevent this kind of wasteful spending and junketeering.

It's amazing that the more "banana" the republic or country the more ostentation and opulence seems to be enjoyed by it's representatives abroad.

The accomodation and travel arrangements always seem to be in inverse proportion to the importance of the country.

:mad:

There's a bit of extra detail here (obviously it was the Tribune that got the info) and the Herald has a handy sample list here.

• Advertisement

Blame the Civil Servants who set up these things,great little people at spending taxpayers money.

I would have thought the 'hat expenditure' was hardly some minion in the department assuming they would like hats, surely that would have required personal intervention?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

re sceptre links

Jebus thats some list, Cannes by government jet and 10 grand on chauffured cars.
    And people say the ruling class are out of touch.

I would have thought the 'hat expenditure' was hardly some minion in the department assuming they would like hats, surely that would have required personal intervention?
    On that one specifically it appears that it was the Minister's private secretary Therese O'Connor who required the hat. I'm sure there was some head measuring but I imagine that O'Donoghue may have given it the nod but wasn't holding the measuring tape.

As for all the other mentioned expenses/costs though...

The Beverly Wilshire, where the Minister found time to spend €492 on room service, €91 on breakfast and €135 on drinkies over a two night stay is probably quite nice - it's the hotel featured in Pretty Woman (though the interior scenes were filmed in the now-demolished Ambassador) and in Entourage on occasion. Quite fancy, especially if you're into the possibility of having two bathrooms for your hotel room and "stunning views of Rodeo Drive".

The limo costs are the most staggering in my head. OK, the €250 paid on water taxis in Venice might seem a bit opulent (that's just to and from the airport guys, there's an extra €1300 on actual taxis around Venice) but the almost-€10,000 on limo hire at Cannes and almost-€9,000 on limo hire in London on the 2007 St Patrick's Day trip is worthy of a central-African dictator going to see the Queen or getting crowned (Central African Emperor Bokassa spent €6,000 on his coronation shoes IIRC, though that was a few years ago).

Something smells rotten. The most annoying thing is that everyone appears to be disclaiming responsibility on this one. That doesn't say much for the people who are supposed to have responsibility. If €9,000 is an entirely reasonable charge for limo hire in one day in London and if the limo hire was also reasonable all someone has to do is say that. Obviously it doesn't mean anyone has to agree with that but this chicken without a head combined with an ostrich with its head in the sand smells a bit fishy and leaves us up the creek without a paddle[1]. Trite as it seems to say, this is unacceptable. As the Tribune pointed out in an editorial here, it takes a minimum wage earner 207 days to earn what O'Donoghue spent in a single London shamrock-waving St Patrick's Day trip. And that's only one of them - how many more globetrotting Ministers found it cool to play Mr Nouveau Riche?

[1] I mix metaphors in the style of Yes Minister so you don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

they should have a choice of three hotels etc and a set living allowance while abroad. if they want better, they make up the shortfall themselves. They dont have to be crappy cheap hotels, they are after all representing Ireland (assuming they are there in an official capacity).

100k expenses? do they not realise that's 2 or 3 people's wages! expenses should be the first cut in the PS bill and maybe some of the spare HSE middle management could be moved sideways to form a new oversight committee, 4 accountant types who are answerable only to the president's office (and thus a-political) that manage and approve all ministerial expenses etc.

they should have a choice of three hotels etc and a set living allowance while abroad. if they want better, they make up the shortfall themselves. They dont have to be crappy cheap hotels, they are after all representing Ireland (assuming they are there in an official capacity).

thats exactly how it works for staff in normal business so why not others

100k expenses?

as above, its not really expenses to the Minister (as in into his hand) but i accept the point about oversight

with regard to all of this it should be rememebred this was all some time ago, before our current situation and there have been cutbacks in rates and expenses etc

I'd also be surprised, after the FAS thing in particular, if Ministers were operating at such levels today

No!!

Ireland inc. should have a budget for these things.

Set of guidelines setting out the parameters/protocol etc and the junkees should be kept within those guidelines.

No bulldust/ exceptions/ deviations/exclusions no, fcuk all!!!

That's what happened in Fás, no control no fiscal probity, no fcuk all.

What is needed is a strong hand at the tiller who will rein in these jerks and sack any one who transgresses.

never in our history is that quality more needed.

have we got that somebody.....have we ****

get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

nothin will ever happen in this country to stop this because no one in power will have the balls to do anything about it.

simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

I just don't understand how he gets to work on that Brown head of his, what with all this travelling and work commitments???

"Do as I say, don't do as I do." Seems to be the Fianna Fail methodology.

Also, whoever heard of 'renting' a hat. Can one rent gloves, an umberella or perhaps a small sleeve-clinging dog. :rolleyes:

YAY 1,000 posts. "I'd like to thank, sniffle, My Ma n Da, sniffle (tears), and . . ."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 waryeye

No one expects an Irish minister go go globetrotting with the arse falling out of his trousers but this guy's expenses bill, and his wife's and officail's, makes my blood boil. Have the Irish people lost their sense of outrage entirely? In any other country the `Bull' O'Donoghue would be hounded out of his role in public life. Ceann Comhairle how are ye?

900euro a nite hotels? 9616 for car hire in Cannes? 120 for a poxy hat rental? 250 for his water taxis in venice!! What extravagance . . . at our expence. Poncing around Europe with his entourage like a modern-day Raj. Four nites in Venice at an arts exhibition, hotel fees 5834. Car hire in Cannes, for his majesty's trip to the film festival, 9616? What the fcuk was he being carted around in??

A limousine in Berlin to cart him around for a World Cup game? Cost 2436.
    A two day stay in Paris, bill cost 1943 for hotel?
    8843 for a limousine to ferry him around the UK for St Patrick's Day celebrations. I'd say that cheered up all our older emigrants. Not . .

And last but not least, 80 euro in tips to Indians for `moving his luggage around airports, hotels etc' ?? The lazy oaf. The arrogance the conceit, the amorality of the whole details makes me want to vomit.
    Fianna Fail, party of the ``ordinary man' . . . yeah, right.
    The mafia in pinstripe suits. Minus the guns.

Some punter attacked O'Donoghue at a race metting one time. At the time I wondered why? I don't any more. Banish this greedy ignoramus back to South Kerry or wherever he calls `home'. They are welcome to him. And his wife. . .:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Along with being an expensive fella to cater for, i've heard he can be pretty arrogant as well. I know one fella and his wife who happened to be travelling on a plane to dublin one time and o' Donoghue was on it as well, and said hello just out of being friendly, i think they said he barely muttered a reply back.

But as the plane was about to take off, o Donoghue was on the mobile phone, and was asked by the stewardess to turn it off as it was not permiited to be on. Of course the lad wouldn't and kept talking. She asked again, and had to loudly tell him that what he was doing was not permitted during takeoff. He eventually backed down, and turned it off.

Shower of hypocrites the lot of them are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Yes its case of dont do as i do but do as i say. Preach one thing do another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

But just think of what he has done for poor Kerry:
    From the Irish Independent.

...And he has moved heaven and earth to deliver as many goodies as possible for the constituency -- and to simultaneously convince the Kerry electorate that it wasn't done by Jackie Healy-Rae (who was his director of elections before breaking away from Fianna Fail).

Those who wonder why the Department of Justice has its largest office in Killarney might do well to remember that Mr O'Donoghue was justice minister from 1997 to 2002. Those who wonder why the Legal Aid Board's main office was moved to his home town of Caherciveen should remember the same thing. At the time, Mr O'Donoghue declared that the board's services "could be provided from the moon by remote control". Not so, as it turned out, because the Dublin office has a long-term lease costing around €206,000 a year which it couldn't get out of. And the Legal Aid Board members must be transported to Caherciveen several times a year at an annual cost of around €18,000.

Mr O'Donoghue has defended his decentralisation decision on the grounds that it brought jobs to Caherciveen. He has been similarly unrepentant about the fact that his constituency received nearly double the national average in capital sports funding while he was Arts, Sports and Tourism Minister from 2002 to 2007.

Clearly this is a politician who puts his constituency ahead of the national interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Riskymove wrote: »
    with regard to all of this it should be rememebred this was all some time ago, before our current situation and there have been cutbacks in rates and expenses etc

I'd also be surprised, after the FAS thing in particular, if Ministers were operating at such levels today

Part of the reason we're in the crap today is BECAUSE this was going on, unchecked, while we DID have some cash.

Now the "rainy day" kitty is bare because some bo11ox decided that WE should fit his 700-a-night-too expensive bills.

I reckon about 20,000 people should march on the Dail DEMANDING that this prick resign; firing off what would hopefully be the first of many wake-up calls to this so-called "government", hereafter known as "blood-sucking, irresponsible, clueless, pass-the-buck leeches"..... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Im sure you will still get a few FF heads who will crawl out of the woodwork and say that he was 'entitled" to spending habits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

What i think will happen is that stories like these will erode their moral authority. I don't think its lost on the Govt that if stories like these keep coming out it will damage them in the long term. All we can do is wait for next general election and let the people decide.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Part of the reason we're in the crap today is BECAUSE this was going on, unchecked, while we DID have some cash.

Now the "rainy day" kitty is bare because some bo11ox decided that WE should fit his 700-a-night-too expensive bills.

I reckon about 20,000 people should march on the Dail DEMANDING that this prick resign; firing off what would hopefully be the first of many wake-up calls to this so-called "government", hereafter known as "blood-sucking, irresponsible, clueless, pass-the-buck leeches"..... :mad:

well there wont be any march will there...cause this is Ireland and the truth of the matter is many people are happy to let politicians do what they want as long as their constituency is looked after

on a lighter note, I doubt very much some over the top expenses is the reason the country is in the sh**e...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Riskymove wrote: »

on a lighter note, I doubt very much some over the top expenses is the reason the country is in the sh**e...

That doesn't excuse it. John O'Donoghue is an elected representative, he cannot just go to ground and wait until this blows over. He has to be held accountable. The government rightly put pressure on the FAS boss, Roddy Molloy, to resign for being equally as free with tax payers money. The same pressure should now be applied to O'Donoghue.

Its interesting how quiet the opposition have been on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,082 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Isn't this a bit ironic?:confused:

http://www.kerryman.ie/news/jackie-explain-expenses-john-1851195.html

CEANN Comhairle John O'Donoghue should break his silence and justify his controversial expenses, his rival constituency TD, Jackie Healy Rae, said this week. The call comes following weekend revelations that while Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism O'Donoghue used the government jet to criss-cross Europe over a sixday period in 2006 at a cost of €32,000 to the taxpayer.
    Over the six days, Deputy O'Donoghue used the jet to travel to the Cannes Film Festival, The Heineken Cup rugby final in Cardiff, the Ryder Cup launch in London and the opening, by then finance Minister Brian Cowen, of the Fexco money transfer office in Killorglin.
    Details of the six-day European trip came just a week after it was revealed that Deputy O'Donoghue, his wife Kate Ann and his private secretary ran up a travel bill of over €100,000 over two years when he was arts minister.
    Deputy Healy Rae said the public needs an explanation.
    "It's all his own business but I think a statement clarifying what he spent and why he deserved it would be helpful. Wouldn't he talk to people and tell them what happened?" asked Deputy Healy Rae.
    The Kilgarvan-based councillor though defended the level of expenses he receives after it was revealed that he was paid €69,682 in expenses last year, the seventh highest figure of all TDs in the State.
    Deputy Healy Rae said his expenses mainly covered travel to and from Dublin by rail and by car and occasional accommodation in the capital.
    "I draw the same average amount of expenses as everyone else and I never went on a foreign trip, although I've been invited on thousands. I've never cost the taxpayer a bob for foreign travel."
    The 78-year-old also admitted that despite being eligible for free travel, available to everyone over 66, he does not have a travel card and pays full price for his train tickets.
    "Every single time I get the train from Killarney I pay €72. I've never had a travel card and I've never used free travel," he said.
    John O'Donoghue TD could not be contacted for comment at the time of going to press

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

More revelations today - 1400 euro a day on private car as O'Donoghue spent 5 days at the Cheltenham races in 2007.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Its unreal. I despair because there is no accountabilty, ethics, honour or dignity from the majority of people in Ireland who are in charge of our direction as a nation.

I feel powerless because my 1 vote is cancelled out by a thousand idiots who vote for these people because its their duty to back up the party. At least 10 of those are probably dead, or voting twice.

I cant change a thing, and I watch the nation wander into a tunnel where the top buckos nod and wink at us in an effort to convince us of their credentials, while holding back the laugh at how they can screw screw screw and nothing will happen.

As a nation we are guilty of not marching on the blood sucking traitors who have brought our nation into disrepute.

I have little hope for our nation because of the nod and the wink. Voting feels like a meaningless task and there is no chink of light that gives any feeling of pride in those who represent us. None whatsoever.

Advertisement