Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John O'Donoghue and his travel spending spree

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭optocynic

walshb wrote: »
    Yes, they are all at it, which explains the snivelling showers inability to act and sack and make heads roll. Just because they are all at it, doesn't mean we should accept this.
    The whole system is corrupt and it's not just those in cabinet positions either.

Indeed... look at the FAS cowboys!
    As bad as the expenses are... I have to admit... it's the sheer arrogance, and gall they have in showing no remorse/respect.
    They honestly think it is OK..

"Well, I'm not the only one doing it!" Is the attitude.
    Seriously, that is a little boys answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Sleipnir wrote: »

He finishes with:

"I hope that my statement today will enable Members of the Dáil to concentrate on more pressing issues facing the State."

Translation: Leave the Bull alone, I've got the big chair... begorrah!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

not going of topic or defending the cnut but when dick spring was 2nd in command he used to use the govt jet like it was his own private one and what about harney using an IAC chopper to open a mates off licence in Leitrim. ffs

...Exactly.

No wonder they don't want to clock in/out at the Dail.
    The people of Ireland might actually find out how much little time they spend up there!

Back on topic: O'Donoghue won't resign, FF won't push him as he is still a FF member and as such has a seat which still creates a majority for FF.
    The opposition won't ask for his resignation due to their own expenses being exposed further either.

So we are up schite creek and the tax payer will continue to bear the brunt of their antics at the next budget - and there we have it folks.

Welcome to Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 draiocht23

walshb wrote: »
    The chances of his likes resigning are about as much as the chance that Elvis will
    come back from the dead. He has a brass neck and no shame, isn't that why he and others like him can brazenly operate the way they do and then have the gall to be out and about without a care in the world.

Miriam Lord's description, in the IT today, sums him up nicely -
    JUST WHEN we thought the situation couldn’t get any more daft, the Bull O’Donoghue popped up at Listowel Races and talked himself into more bother.

Standing in the bookies’ enclosure like a man without a care in the world he talked about how his shameful past of unbridled junketeering is now behind him...“In so far as one regrets anything, I think that is an apology,” mooed O’Donoghue, as the sun bounced off his brass neck and the national jaw dropped another few notches

His latest "apology" has been made under duress and I think the only thing he's really sorry about is the fact that the controversy has rumbled on as long as it has - he was obviously hoping public "disquiet" (aka: fury) would dissipate over the summer.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0916/1224254654634.html

• Advertisement

optocynic wrote: »
    He finishes with:

"I hope that my statement today will enable Members of the Dáil to concentrate on more pressing issues facing the State."

Translation: Leave the Bull alone, I've got the big chair... begorrah!

Yeah sure Matt Cooper had another FF Kerry councillor on the radio yesterday who was saying that the "people were sick and tired of hearing about his expenses" and that they wanted John to get back to running the country again!

Balls, people want to know more about how he wasted our money pretending he was a prince.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

yeah they are trying to make it go away which is why its more important that it keeps getting media attention until there is only one thing left to do, reform expenses.

thebman wrote: »
    yeah they are trying to make it go away which is why its more important that it keeps getting media attention until there is only one thing left to do, reform expenses.

But we all know that won't happen. Running for office, is basically running so that you can get unvouched expenses...

Serioulsy, how many lapdances and hookers do you think your tax euros have paid for?

I think the lap dancers would politely refuse to touch our politicians with a barge pole looking at their appearences :P

Well it has to happen, we can't afford to not let it happen as they are borrowing for these "expenses" now.

Unvouched expenses is the greatest scam going in the country and who benefits? Only politicians.

Like every single company in the world they should not be able to claim expenses without a receipt and until that happens, none of them can be trusted.

I wonder how much the bill would drop if they could only claim vouched expenses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

not going of topic or defending the cnut but when dick spring was 2nd in command he used to use the govt jet like it was his own private one and what about harney using an IAC chopper to open a mates off licence in Leitrim. ffs

And back when that happened, you had the party faithfuls jumping in with examples of prior precedent where someone else had taken the mickey with public money. At some point you have to stop and draw a line in the sand and say "it's not good enough that people have been getting away with it up to now.

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Unvouched expenses is the greatest scam going in the country and who benefits? Only politicians.

Like every single company in the world they should not be able to claim expenses without a receipt and until that happens, none of them can be trusted.

I wonder how much the bill would drop if they could only claim vouched expenses?

Exactly it would be interesting to see how not in the loop he was when these things were organised for him without his knowledge :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Conor's claims that the Bull "got 50 jobs for his constituency" is typical FF bullsh!t. DECENTRALISATION was and is an even bigger waste of taxpayers' money than this greedy O'Donoghue character and his lavish expenses. He did not CREATE 50 local jobs, he may have had a hand in MOVING 50 jobs from somewhere more cost effective to his constituency, that's all.

DECENTRALISATION was a mass vote buying ploy by FF and the PDs to stay in power. Nothing more. Ireland is a small country with no need to have government departments all over the bloody place. It all adds up to increased running costs for government. Germany is going the other way, every year more and more federal departments relocate to BERLIN, the erm, capital city!

Anyway, back to this expenses scandal. I have just emailed all my local TDs (from my family home) and asked them, particularly the FF one, what are they intending to do about JO'D's expenses and expenses in general. A simple question that lets them know we are watching. I urge EVERYONE here who even gives half a sh!t about Ireland to immediately email all their TDs and ask them the same question. They WILL feel the heat but only if people contact them.

murphaph wrote: »
    Anyway, back to this expenses scandal. I have just emailed all my local TDs (from my family home) and asked them, particularly the FF one, what are they intending to do about JO'D's expenses and expenses in general. A simple question that lets them know we are watching. I urge EVERYONE here who even gives half a sh!t about Ireland to immediately email all their TDs and ask them the same question. They WILL feel the heat but only if people contact them.

I like the spunk... but ultimately, your questions will fall on uncaring ears... attached to head sitting on brass necks!

I like the idealism that emails will make a change... but alas.. it is doomed to fail.

However, I do think we should all follow your lead, and try!

What we really need is a broadcaster that is brave and willing tp REALLY ask the hard questions... put them on the ropes.. and make them squirm..

The information has been put out there by the media. Now it's up to the people to contact their TDs to express their displeasure about it. The politicians have brass necks because they think the people don't/won't care. Their necks will turn to butter when they realise people do care. We have to do something and in this age of email it is easy to let them know-doesn't even cost a stamp!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think its free to write to your TD by post isn't it? Of is it free for the politicans to write to us? Prolly the latter thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Simple Interpretation from JOD:

"Im sorry I got caught . . "

"Im also sorry that Ive brought so much heat on all the boys in the Dail"

mike65 wrote: »
    I think its free to write to your TD by post isn't it? Of is it free for the politicans to write to us? Prolly the latter thinking about it.
    I think you might be right Mike. A mass letter/postcard campaign would send a message to them in Leinster House! In the meantime, just send your 3 or 4 local TDs an email. If everyone does this it'll be like an avalanche on them.

Conor's claims that the Bull "got 50 jobs for his constituency" is typical FF bullsh!t. DECENTRALISATION was and is an even bigger waste of taxpayers' money than this greedy O'Donoghue character and his lavish expenses. He did not CREATE 50 local jobs, he may have had a hand in MOVING 50 jobs from somewhere more cost effective to his constituency, that's all.

I understood you live in Germany.

I live in South Kerry. Obviously I know Caherciveen very well. I know what it was like in the 80s and before O'Donoghue was elected. I know the chances they would have had of bringing in 50 jobs (created, moved, whatever you describe) without O'Donoghue. I know what he has done for the area. And I know you patently don't have the slightest clue about that area.

There is sheer and utter nonsense spouted on this thread from posters, generalisations about Kerry and the like. It's like me forming an opinion about Dublin people from their apparent love for Bertie Ahern. Now we all know what O'Donoghue did, we can form opinions about his integrity, and clearly he should be dismissed. But I'm not sure one person here can point to a post before the last election and say they knew that his taxi and hotel expenses would be an issue. And noone (bar I guess his wife!) in Kerry had any extra insight either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

At this stage we shouldnt even be talking about JOD - he should have resigned. He should go right now if not ... end of story. I remember seeing him at the prix de l'arc (which was one of his junkit trips), swaning around like a renaissance prince and the odd irish clown going over too him and patting him on the back.

There he was doing absolutely nothing of benefit for our country at the races in paris on our expenses.. great stuff!. I had to move location because the people who I was with (also from Ireland) would have gone and given him something stronger than a pat on the back as I could see fists began to clinch in annoyance!

• Advertisement

I live in South Kerry. Obviously I know Caherciveen very well. I know what it was like in the 80s and before O'Donoghue was elected. I know the chances they would have had of bringing in 50 jobs (created, moved, whatever you describe) without O'Donoghue. I know what he has done for the area. And I know you patently don't have the slightest clue about that area.

There is sheer and utter nonsense spouted on this thread from posters, generalisations about Kerry and the like. It's like me forming an opinion about Dublin people from their apparent love for Bertie Ahern. Now we all know what O'Donoghue did, we can form opinions about his integrity, and clearly he should be dismissed. But I'm not sure one person here can point to a post before the last election and say they knew that his taxi and hotel expenses would be an issue. And noone (bar I guess his wife!) in Kerry had any extra insight either.

What's your point?
    We are now discussing the lack of condemnation from his (and other) parties... and the arrogance that takes.
    Surely... you must be questioning your party's integrity a bit?

dodgyme wrote: »
    There he was doing absolutely nothing of benefit for our country at the races in paris on our expenses.. great stuff!.

That is a valid point. These junkets to race meets are sheer and utter nonsense alright, even before they have decided what's the most expensive hotel. I can understand the odd trip abroad for something like St. Patrick's Day, or a trade meeting, but not sure how a trip to Cheltenham benefitted the country.

optocynic wrote: »
    Surely... you must be questioning your party's integrity a bit?

More than a bit. It's a disgrace. He should be thrown out of course. It makes one wonder is there any point, when they ask me to canvass for Lisbon I'm tempted to tell them to stick it, why should I get the grief while the party stands by this man. But still don't accept gross generalisations about how the people of South Kerry are stupid or knew this was happening. They looked at how the place was doing since John was elected, and believe you me it's not even comparable - even taking the recession into account.

More classic FF spin "you're not from Kerry/the West/etc. so don't be ganging up on us". I'm from IRELAND and I still pay tax there so that's good enough reason to complain about a complete leech like O'Donoghue. You're basically saying that O'Donoghue conned the good folk of Kerry before the last election and in that regard I agree-unfortunately he is now in a job from which the same good people of Kerry can't remove him....only your beloved FF can do that now!

Anyway Conor-there's at least 2 other posters on this thread from Kerry who are clearly disgusted with FF and O'Donoghue in particular. The civil war politics is dying out and FF's days are numbered mate. Not that the opposition fill me with confidence but anyone's better than FF right now.

O'Donoghue is just one example of the snout in the trough attitude from TDs and I and millions of other are sick of it. His ilk come from ALL OVER IRELAND including Dublin (my home) and NOBODY is singling out Kerry folk for electing O'Donoghue. You can try to make it look like I'm a big bad guy from Germany slagging off poor County Kerry all you like-the folks here can see it's just FF spin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

More than a bit. It's a disgrace. He should be thrown out of course. It makes one wonder is there any point, when they ask me to canvass for Lisbon I'm tempted to tell them to stick it, why should I get the grief while the party stands by this man.

Your not the only one.
    I am getting many Fianna Fail supporters (now ex-supporters in some cases) contacting me with things going on that are not appearing in the papers.
    To say they are shocked at the arrogance and even worse, their (leaders) silence at doing nothing but covering their own asses, is angering a lot of them.
    Many of them that have contacted me, have already attended their last local cumman meetings, etc.

More than a bit. It's a disgrace. He should be thrown out of course. It makes one wonder is there any point, when they ask me to canvass for Lisbon I'm tempted to tell them to stick it, why should I get the grief while the party stands by this man. But still don't accept gross generalisations about how the people of South Kerry are stupid or knew this was happening. They looked at how the place was doing since John was elected, and believe you me it's not even comparable - even taking the recession into account.

Any part of the world that continually elects Jackie Healy Racist... I'm sorry to say... is rather stupid!
    Him and O'Donoghue support drink driving!!.. enough said!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Blaming FF or people from Kerry Is futile. .

We (the people) voted in these people.

We didnt demand more for our money.

We didnt demand that they show us respect.

We are a reactive nation, our government mirrors this . .

Its OUR fault that we are in the Sh*t we are in . .

If anybody thinks that Labour or FG will be anymore morally sound, they are living in the clouds. Our government (whoever runs it) will abide by whatever we demand, if we are clear in our demands . .

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭niffle

Biggins wrote: »
    Your not the only one.
    I am getting many Fianna Fail supporters (now ex-supporters in some cases) contacting me with things going on that are not appearing in the papers.
    Many of them that have contacted me, have already attended their last local cumman meetings, etc.

why not bring it to the papers? the culture of cover up needs to be stopped somehow.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Blaming FF or people from Kerry Is futile. .

We (the people) voted in these people.

We didnt demand more for our money.

We didnt demand that they show us respect.

We are a reactive nation, our government mirrors this . .

Its OUR fault that we are in the Sh*t we are in . .

If anybody thinks that Labour or FG will be anymore morally sound, they are living in the clouds. Our government (whoever runs it) will abide by whatever we demand, if we are clear in our demands . .

Can you see your house from that soap-box?

We all know we elected these gombeens.. but now all we can do, is try to make them do the right things..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

there's at least 2 other posters on this thread from Kerry who are clearly disgusted with FF and O'Donoghue in particular.

I hope your not referring to me there murph from my posts awhile back and this the week of the all Ireland footballl final and I am Cork man through and through.:p

Just happen be spend a most of my time in Cahersiveen :D

Advertisement