Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John O'Donoghue and his travel spending spree

Options

Comments

optocynic wrote: »
    Any part of the world that continually elects Jackie Healy Racist... I'm sorry to say... is rather stupid!

May I ask where you are from so we may analyse the intelligence of your neighbours?
    murphaph wrote: »
    You can try to make it look like I'm a big bad guy from Germany slagging off poor County Kerry all you like-the folks here can see it's just FF spin.

:D

Don't worry. I don't think anyone posting on an internet forum about politics is some big bad guy! I'm just making the observation that you don't know Caherciveen. The people who claim to be from the area yet do not see what has happened in places like Caherciveen over the past 20 years and suggest it's all down to the civil war are, I'm afraid, pulling your leg. It's the internet after all. I could say I'm Cindy Crawford!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

niffle wrote: »
    why not bring it to the papers? the culture of cover up needs to be stopped somehow.

Absolutely. Currently working on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭optocynic

May I ask where you are from so we may analyse the intelligence of your neighbours?

Dublin West,
    Lucan.

No supporters of drink driving here!

And do you think JHR is a man worth electing?
    Or is it just that he spouts nonsense about immigrants, and wears that cap on his comb-over that won the hearts of the Kerry faithful?

Or is it just that he spouts nonsense about immigrants, and wears that cap on his comb-over that won the hearts of the Kerry faithful?

No, I think he is a disgrace. In his case, unlike O'Donoghue, I always thought he was a disgrace. I have even less time for his son, who doesn't even have the charisma to be his own man, but is like a mini me. But noone in the country works the electorate as hard as that family, going to funerals, turning up for the opening of an envelope, they do this stuff 24/7 and have a small army of fans/employees at every event. Some of the stuff I could tell you about their election stunts would have you fall off your seat. But it works for them. There's a lot of people in a lot of constituncies in Ireland vote for whoever buys a round for the bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Dublin West,
    Lucan.

No supporters of drink driving here!

Why would they with the 25A going by every 3 minutes :P

• Advertisement

No, I think he is a disgrace. In his case, unlike O'Donoghue, I always thought he was a disgrace. I have even less time for his son, who doesn't even have the charisma to be his own man, but is like a mini me. But noone in the country works the electorate as hard as that family, going to funerals, turning up for the opening of an envelope, they do this stuff 24/7 and have a small army of fans/employees at every event. Some of the stuff I could tell you about their election stunts would have you fall off your seat. But it works for them. There's a lot of people in a lot of constituncies in Ireland vote for whoever buys a round for the bar.

And those kind of people don't strike you as stupid?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Biggins wrote: »
    Absolutely. Currently working on it.
    Can you share?

thebman wrote: »
    Why would they with the 25A going by every 3 minutes :P

Really??.. I wouldn't know... I get hammered in the Dail bar and have a limo bring me home!

Sizzler wrote: »
    Can you share?

Not on a public forum. Obvious liability issues (to boards.ie).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Not really, they are just people trying to get a favor or two when they do get in when they are that close to them.

I think the word is cute-hoorism :-/

Not stupid although not the smartest people the country has to offer who usually want to actually make a difference and not leech off the success of others.

• Advertisement

No more stupid than the people in your area who voted Liam Lawlor. Even O'Donoghue and Healy Rae didn't have the neck to take bribes to allow their constituency and the areas that voted for them be destroyed by planning and infrastructure issues. That area must be one of the few places to elect TDs and public representatives who worked against the interests of their constituents!

thebman wrote: »
    Not really, they are just people trying to get a favor or two when they do get in when they are that close to them.

I think the word is cute-hoorism

I don't think hoping that you may have a job and not have to emigrate to America, which happened to entire generations in villages in South Kerry up to the 1980s, shouldn't be dismissed as 'cute hoorism'. There's a lot of people bemoaning the employment situation at the moment, are they 'cute hoors'?

As for those who dismiss what the TDs in this area have done in the past 20 years, check out migration rates in places like Caherciveen, Sneem, Killorglin and Kenmare. Check out the numbers that fled, I understand Sneem had an entire football team that won a minor championship in the early 80s and every one of those players were gone within 5 years. That's the reality of what it was like. Businesses like Fexco did not even exist. You farmed and worked part time in a hotel or you left South Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Don't worry. I don't think anyone posting on an internet forum about politics is some big bad guy! I'm just making the observation that you don't know Caherciveen. The people who claim to be from the area yet do not see what has happened in places like Caherciveen over the past 20 years and suggest it's all down to the civil war are, I'm afraid, pulling your leg. It's the internet after all. I could say I'm Cindy Crawford!

I can assure you Conor there are plenty of families around this area that only vote FF and will not vote anyone else for historical reasons. I know because they have told me so.

And to say JOD was good for the place - he showed a distinct lack of participation in the attempts to save the power plant at Deelis Bridge a number of years back. That hit plenty of families very hard and is remembered still during elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Biggins wrote: »
    Not on a public forum. Obvious liability issues (to boards.ie).
    Sorry, I meant the concept / objective :o

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

No more stupid than the people in your area who voted Liam Lawlor. Even O'Donoghue and Healy Rae didn't have the neck to take bribes to allow their constituency and the areas that voted for them be destroyed by planning and infrastructure issues. That area must be one of the few places to elect TDs and public representatives who worked against the interests of their constituents!
    Lawlor was no stalwart of Dublin West though Conor. He lost his seat(s) a number of times and that was BEFORE the extraordinary corruption he was involved in even saw the light of day. Lawlor would have had NO CHANCE in the next general election if he hadn't been ejected beforehand. Also, please remember that MOST of the electorate of Dublin West weren't there when Lawlor was up to his tricks as he was responsible for all the rezoning which allowed 'greater' Lucan to exist!

SeaFields wrote: »
    I can assure you Conor there are plenty of families around this area that only vote FF and will not vote anyone else for historical reasons. I know because they have told me so.

And there are people who vote Labour and will not vote anyone else.

And there are people who will vote FG and will not vote anyone else.

And this phenomenon is not particular to South Kerry but as a matter of fact exists in every part of the country!

How does a Cork man spend most of his time in Caherciveen?

I don't think hoping that you may have a job and not have to emigrate to America, which happened to entire generations in villages in South Kerry up to the 1980s, shouldn't be dismissed as 'cute hoorism'. There's a lot of people bemoaning the employment situation at the moment, are they 'cute hoors'?

As for those who dismiss what the TDs in this area have done in the past 20 years, check out migration rates in places like Caherciveen, Sneem, Killorglin and Kenmare. Check out the numbers that fled, I understand Sneem had an entire football team that won a minor championship in the early 80s and every one of those players were gone within 5 years. That's the reality of what it was like. Businesses like Fexco did not even exist. You farmed and worked part time in a hotel or you left South Kerry.
    Give the parish pump b0llocks a rest will ya! As if only South Kerry suffered during the 80's! Dublin was no picnic either I can assure you. People emmigrated from Dublin and EVERYWHERE in Ireland in the 1980's. A rising tide lifts all boats-don't forget that ;)

FF have singularly failed to manage the rising tide though :mad: and now it's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0916/politics.html

I see he has apologised.
    I am getting the impression that the matter is now closed.

Is it really going to be so simple?
    If he is not asked to step down, he should at least have money docked from his pay until the expenses are repaid.
    Even a token gesture!?

The phrase "one law for us, one law for them" gets thrown around a lot, but in this case, it really is apt.

Very dark days for Irish democracy/kleptocracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Should be very simple for politicians and/or the people who arrange their hotels/flights etc

Get a room in a 3 star hotel. Anything in excess of that value is charged to the politician who wishes to have the lab of luxury.

Nobodys saying they should go around in an ass and cart but taking the piss is still taking the piss

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0916/politics.html

I see he has apologised.
    I am getting the impression that the matter is now closed.

Is it really going to be so simple?
    If he is not asked to step down, he should at least have money docked from his pay until the expenses are repaid.
    Even a token gesture!?

The phrase "one law for us, one law for them" gets thrown around a lot, but in this case, it really is apt.

Very dark days for Irish democracy/kleptocracy.

Yep, they ALL want it go go away for their own obvious reasons.
    Can't wait to see if the Sunday Tribune will continue with more revelations next week!
    If they say/advertise beforehand that they will, it might be their best selling paper for a Sunday yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

How does a Cork man spend most of his time in Caherciveen?

how is that any of your business?

Give the parish pump b0llocks a rest will ya! As if only South Kerry suffered during the 80's!

That wasn't my point at all. Your comment about Dublin shows how little you understand about what I am saying. The problems were not the same at all. In the 100 years up to the 1960s when Dublin's population actually increased, Kerry's halved. I'm not asking for violins, living in the most attractive part of the country is no bad thing. But don't kid yourself that you know Kerry 'cos it was the same as Dublin.
    SeaFields wrote: »
    how is that any of your business?

Woohoo, someone is a tad touchy!

If you are that senstitive when your 'knowledge' is challenged, fair enough. I knida guessed you didn't really know the area at all from the tone of your posts. You certainly don't seem to understand or grasp how it has changed.

The suggestion that it's all bogged down in Civil War politics was a bit laughable. Coming from a Corkman, it's hilarious - you will have heard of towns like Bandon, for example.

Don't worry, I won't even attempt to ask you if you're from that clever part of Cork that elects the likes of Ned O'Keeffe or PJ Sheahan! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

I find the oppositions reaction to this whole affair particularly galling. On Newstalk today Eamon Gilmore, when asked should O'Donoghue resign just dodged the question. Having stayed silent since the story first broke on 27th september, Enda Kenny has just come out with a statement where he fully accepts O'Donoghue's apology.

Holding an elected representive accountable for their actions amounts to little more than them issuing a half-arsed apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

There should riots in the steets over this crap. 24.000 for 4 days dicking about New York...fuckin hell.

There are some people who work the whole year for less in this country.

We're a nation of idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Enda Kenny has just come out with a statement where he fully accepts O'Donoghue's apology.

What an idiot!

I mean FG should have asked him to resign right now. What message is FG protraying here "sure that is fine you fleeced the country but we wont condemn you since ..shure we'd probably have done the same" - that is the message, by accepting the apology they are saying they are as bad.

Well done enda - your a joke and really could have made some political hay while standing up for an issue most think is incredibly symbolic (a double whammy) ... but alas no, FG dont want power?. JOD is ok in endas book - it defies belief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Tony EH wrote: »
    There should riots in the steets over this crap. 24.000 for 4 days dicking about New York...fuckin hell.
    There are some people who work the whole year for less in this country.
    We're a nation of idiots.

and a nation which unfortunately looks after its idiots.

That wasn't my point at all. Your comment about Dublin shows how little you understand about what I am saying. The problems were not the same at all. In the 100 years up to the 1960s when Dublin's population actually increased, Kerry's halved. I'm not asking for violins, living in the most attractive part of the country is no bad thing. But don't kid yourself that you know Kerry 'cos it was the same as Dublin.
    Perhaps you should only comment about South Kerry and nowhere else seeing as you are the self elected rep here on this thread and nobody else is allowed pass comment about the place because they aren't from the area. Even the corkman who lives/works in Kerry is (according to you) in no position to pass comment on a neighbouring county! Parish pump politics at it's best.

Conor, since the dawn of civilisation people have migrated from rural areas to urban areas. That's the way the human race has been developing for the last few millenia. Rural areas across the island of Great Britain saw massive population loss and the industrial cities boomed during the industrial revolution. The same happened across Europe. This is the way it is in developed industrial nations. Ireland didn't have an industrial revolution to speak of but when economic prosperity came later, I'm sorry South Kerry couldn't be an exception during the 1960's.

dodgyme wrote: »
    What an idiot!

I mean FG should have asked him to resign right now. What message is FG protraying here "sure that is fine you fleeced the country but we wont condemn you since ..shure we'd probably have done the same" - that is the message, by accepting the apology they are saying they are as bad.

Well done enda - your a joke and really could have made some political hay while standing up for an issue most think is incredibly symbolic (a double whammy) ... but alas no, FG dont want power?. JOD is ok in endas book - it defies belief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep. that about sums it up.
    Welcome to the present state of Irish politics.
    We should tell them ALL at the next election to go to hell. Will we? No sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

The suggestion that it's all bogged down in Civil War politics was a bit laughable. Coming from a Corkman, it's hilarious - you will have heard of towns like Bandon, for example.

Don't worry, I won't even attempt to ask you if you're from that clever part of Cork that elects the likes of Ned O'Keeffe or PJ Sheahan! ;)

Sure even the pigs in bandon are protestant :D

• Advertisement

Perhaps you should only comment

Perhaps you should forget trying to censor me just because I'm not part of the hysterical mob screaming for some blood letting!

O'Donoghue should be turfed out. As more and more posters here realise, (and I'm referring to recent posts by posters like deadhead13, Biggins and dodgyme) the reaction from the Opposition suggests that this abuse of position is rife and there is a lot more to come out. But that should not diminish his behaviour, he should be gone and I am not defending him.

What I do not accept is someone abroad or some blow in from Cork telling me that John O'Donoghue was elected solely because of the Civil War, or because Kerry people are per se more stupid than the intellectuals in other counties and countries.

Advertisement