Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John O'Donoghue and his travel spending spree

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The country's going down, and it's all due to FF.

Sickening.

Mind you, there is one light at the end of the tunnel; if the IMF do come in, the idiotic votes of the brain-dead sheep won't count any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

mike65 wrote: »
    More revelations today - 1400 euro a day on private car as O'Donoghue spent 5 days at the Cheltenham races in 2007.
    And he saddled Kiillarney with a white elephant swimming pool at the expense of the taxpayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

This kind of behaviour coupled with a recent photo of Cowen 'looking happy and relaxed' at the Galway races brings us ever closer to a revolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

In a democracy you get the people you deserve into office...

SLUSK wrote: »
    In a democracy you get the people you deserve into office...

Incorrect. We get the people that the MAJORITY deserve. Some of us had the sense to vote against them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

rte noted that for the week in cheltenham he had no civil servants with him, which means that this was not a ministerial project, this was justanother personal expensive enjoyment,

a couple of years back his state car was caught speeding between caherciveen and dublin, with his family onboard, mr odonoghue said that it was a 'treat' for the family

this man likes too many treats, this man needs to resign,

bravo sunday tribune....our national opposition just now

resign mr odonoghue, fire him mr cowen,..:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Incorrect. We get the people that the MAJORITY deserve. Some of us had the sense to vote against them.

when you consider those who do not vote only 4/5 in every 10 irish people put fianna fail into office...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

mike65 wrote: »
    from indo

The publicly funded high life is of course so 2006 and I can only presume
    no minister would dream of spending in such a 'fla-hoolacht' fashion in the current circumstances. Ahem.

And where is the interest from the media or the opposition? Hardly to be heard just some dull reportage, no outrage at all.

It really bothers me that Irish Politicians don't seem to ever have to tender their resignation. A Fianna Fail Politician can binge drink all day long and then drive home on the wrong side of a dual carriageway and still have a stellar career in Irish political life FFS :mad:

- Even as the whole Country suffers we are seemingly content to let a Cnut like this lie low in a 6 bedroom holiday-home somewhere, laughing at us until it has all blown over - yet again.

Where's the Public outrage, now and every time these stories hit the news? Are we really just apathetic sheep - cause the Fianna Fail wánkers lining up behind us with their pants down seem to think so.....

Sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Raiser wrote: »
    It really bothers me that Irish Politicians don't seem to ever have to tender their resignation. A Fianna Fail Politician can binge drink all day long and then drive home on the wrong side of a dual carriageway and still have a stellar career in Irish political life FFS :mad:

Sickening.

their constituents dont want them to quit and would re-elect them if they did anyway

easy to put blame on politicians themselves...its the people that are the problem in cases such as this

when you consider those who do not vote only 4/5 in every 10 irish people put fianna fail into office...

(i) this is a democracy, like it or not. FF went to the people and got pretty resounding results election after election. Again, perhaps people were looking at issues like the Peace process rather than the cost of cars in Cheltenham. Yes, it wasn't a majority of the people, but by that logic of course parties like Labour should never get a say in Government either.

(ii) I'm still not sure that the Opposition would do much better.

(iii) None of the above obviates the need for O'Donoghue to explain himself or excuses what seems outrageous and obscene.

• Advertisement

....I'm still not sure that the Opposition would do much better. .
    Of course no one knows but at least give them a chance, there has to be a better way!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭donkey balls

here is another expensive limo hire
    In the latest revelation, it emerged that Mr O'Donoghue spent €472 on a limo to take him from Terminal Three to Terminal One for a connecting flight in London's Heathrow Airport, a journey which would have taken him three minutes on the airport's free shuttle.

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/lenihan-defends--odonoghue-in-expenses-scandal-1867888.html

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

...but you are missing his point - he is important and should not have to travel with riff raff on a bus!

Is there ANY way that the public can shout STOP and get AT LEAST SOME of these self-serving scumbags to resign ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Is there ANY way that the public can shout STOP and get AT LEAST SOME of these self-serving scumbags to resign ?

I've learned this year that we live in a country where there are no standards in public office. Nobody from any other party is looking for answers, and that makes it look like they dont want to throw stones in a glass house.

Public shouting will do nothing. These guys and girls will not resign. They are above standards and they laugh down at us voter types. They'll be held shoulder high by de partee faithful at the next general election. J O'D doesnt even have to run.. his seat in the next Dáil is secure. Why should he resign? Who's going to make him? We are a mild irritant on his otherwise spectacular day.

There are NO standards in Irish politics. There are no morals or ethics and decency is a rare thing in the Dáil.

Those who claim to be squeaky clean (opposition) are guilty of doing nothing to hound the others in government.

The only way to see honourable representation is to live in a different country. You won't find it here.

Trotter wrote: »
    There are NO standards in Irish politics. There are no morals or ethics and decency is a rare thing in the Dáil.

Those who claim to be squeaky clean (opposition) are guilty of doing nothing to hound the others in government.

The silence across the political spectrum on the issue of expenses is outrageous.

I think the conclusion most would draw is that a lot of them are coughing nervously and staring at the ground, hoping the issue will go away.

There should be some mass outing, like the purge in the UK. Starting with O'Donoghue, whose seems to be hoping he has the neck to ride it all out. Though the irony of Healy Rae being his biggest critic so far is not lost on anyone in South Kerry.

The silence across the political spectrum on the issue of expenses is outrageous.

100% agreed.
    I think the conclusion most would draw is that a lot of them are coughing nervously and staring at the ground, hoping the issue will go away.

Possibly; or at least enough of them that would vote against a proposal to clean it up if that was proposed by anyone. Mind you, voicing "conclusions that most would draw" is dangerous if Ahern's lawyers are around, so I'd be careful......
    There should be some mass outing, like the purge in the UK. Starting with O'Donoghue, whose seems to be hoping he has the neck to ride it all out. Though the irony of Healy Rae being his biggest critic so far is not lost on anyone in South Kerry.

The purge should have started with Ahern, but when you consider the bull**** spouted about Burke and Lawlor, it's unlikely that these white-collar scum even view wasting OUR money as an issue.

Add to that the inexplicable tendency for areas of the country to vote back in corrupt politicians, and the over-riding urge to get a seat which prevents parties from weeding out the scum, and I'm completely at a loss as to how to "fix" this issue.

But considering that O'Donoghue was - IIRC - part of the committee looking at ethics, expenses and reviews, it highlights just how much of an out-of-touch joke Dail Eireann has become......

It almost seems like we need a civil war / revolution; or alternatively (given that the UK has sorted themselves out) rejoin the UK ???? While I wouldn't be a fan, there's no point being independent if we're being shafted by "our own".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

But considering that O'Donoghue was - IIRC - part of the committee looking at ethics, expenses and reviews, it highlights just how much of an out-of-touch joke Dail Eireann has become......

Ethics...part and parcel of the Green manifesto. Then they went into government with Fianna Fail

Cue bending over....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

http://www.thestage.co.uk/news/newsstory.php/16935/fossetts-circus-show-honours-irish-arts
    The minister,[John boy] currently fighting a general election campaign, was guest of honour at a special performance in recognition of his decision “to elevate the circus to an art form”.

This is a biased decision. Well, I mean, since he IS a clown himself.

Three cheers for Bozo O' Donoghue.

(He sure has a pretentious grin on his little smug face)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

I feel sorry for all those poor feckers who paid massive stamp duty on their cardboard box homes over the last few years.

Guess where you're money went lads?
    Ouch!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

All this freekin ballyhoo over a few quid from a part of the country who elected a gun runners daughter, a cap wearing village idiot and The Bull !

Give us a freekin break !

All this freekin ballyhoo over a few quid from a part of the country who elected a gun runners daughter

In terms of the Dail, North Kerry elected the gun runner himself!

The wink and a nod cute hoorism that's alive and well and living in Kerry guarantees the Kerryman Joke will live on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Does anybody know why this is so? Is there any plan to release these expenses?

Why are journalists not using the Freedom of Information act to get these details?

juuge wrote: »
    The wink and a nod cute hoorism that's alive and well and living in Kerry guarantees the Kerryman Joke will live on.

They elect Dick Roche in Wicklow, don't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Has any opposition politician made even a passing remark on this affair? This is a stark contast to the way in which they went after Roddy Molloy. You would have thought, given how the governments majority has evaporated in the past few weeks, FG and Labour would have come out all guns blazing. Their silence is deafening.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Has any opposition politician made even a passing remark on this affair? This is a stark contast to the way in which they went after Roddy Molloy. You would have thought, given how the governments majority has evaporated in the past few weeks, FG and Labour would have come out all guns blazing. Their silence is deafening.

Hi
    all the email addresses of the current TDs are listed in the Oireactas website. I sent an email to them all at once expressing concerns at the abuse of expenses (in particular J'OD) and asking their support to overhail the expenses systems and allowances. That was 2 weeks ago. I got many "out of office / enjoing holidays" messages, and 1 from the office of Cowan saying "thanks for your message and it will be passed on". Otherise just 4 actual replies back, 2 from Green and 2 from FG TDs saying they support the overhaul....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Has any opposition politician made even a passing remark on this affair?
    One word - glasshouse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

mobpd wrote: »
    Hi
    all the email addresses of the current TDs are listed in the Oireactas website. I sent an email to them all at once expressing concerns at the abuse of expenses (in particular J'OD) and asking their support to overhail the expenses systems and allowances. That was 2 weeks ago. I got many "out of office / enjoing holidays" messages, and 1 from the office of Cowan saying "thanks for your message and it will be passed on". Otherise just 4 actual replies back, 2 from Green and 2 from FG TDs saying they support the overhaul....

Excellent stuff. Let us know the position on this of the respective elected representatives.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Does anybody know why this is so? Is there any plan to release these expenses?

Why are journalists not using the Freedom of Information act to get these details?

Good point pal..ref a previous thread of mine entitled "Who are our media stars"

From recent media reports it seems that the Civil Servants are getting the rap - however if we assume - as we should - that the Bulls expenses are only the tip of the iceberg then the hacks should start digging.

What the fcuck is going on that a Minister has a Chauffer driven motor at a race meeting.

Obscene - I say shame and obscene !:mad:

Advertisement