Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John O'Donoghue and his travel spending spree

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

FG and Labour, at last, acting like opposition parties.

Kenny - "I am instructing the 3 Fine Gael members of the Houses of the Oireachtas Commission to request the Ceann Comhairle to reduce his staffing levels, remove his special adviser Dan Collins from his position and repay any costs occured that did not directly relate to his office. If these are not addressed directly by the Ceann Comhairle and the Oirechtas Commission, he should consider his position."

Gilmore - "The disclosures of recent months, would appear to suggest a pattern of extravagance which is unacceptable to the taxpayers who are paying the bill"

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/1005/1224255888616.html

That it has taken FG and labour over 2 months to issue such a statement, and the fact they have been effectively forced into doing so by the media is a scandal in itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭moonbug33

Just looking at www.thestory.ie .......shocking stuff... I was looking to see how much he spent for St Patrick’s Day and this caught my eye..............how can it cost €12K to fly him to the USA and then a further €5k on transport.....that’s €17k spent on flights and other transport for a weeks trip to the USA. This was March 2008 when we were told that the country had no money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

deadhead13 wrote: »
    FG and Labour, at last, acting like opposition parties.

Kenny - "I am instructing the 3 Fine Gael members of the Houses of the Oireachtas Commission to request the Ceann Comhairle to reduce his staffing levels, remove his special adviser Dan Collins from his position and repay any costs occured that did not directly relate to his office. If these are not addressed directly by the Ceann Comhairle and the Oirechtas Commission, he should consider his position."

Gilmore - "The disclosures of recent months, would appear to suggest a pattern of extravagance which is unacceptable to the taxpayers who are paying the bill"

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/1005/1224255888616.html

That it has taken FG and labour 40 days to issue such a statement, and the fact they have been effectively forced into doing so by the media is a scandal in itself.

I agree they are only doing so now to safe face since it is staying in the public eye and hasn't blown over as they all hoped (all parties).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Monday October 05 2009

O'Donoghue: knives out over his expenses

JOHN O'Donoghue's position as Ceann Comhairle last night came under the most severe pressure to date after the two main opposition parties demanded he explain his lavish expenses.
    In an unprecedented move, Fine Gael's Enda Kenny and Labour's Eamon Gilmore called urgent meetings to discuss the deepening controversy.
    Mr Gilmore asked for a meeting of party leaders -- the first sign of a concerted action against Mr O'Donoghue in the face of public outrage over the level of his spending.
    Expenses records revealed on Friday showed that Mr O'Donoghue had claimed more than €200,000 in expenses, on top of his salary, over the last two years. But the extent of his spending was overshadowed by the Lisbon Treaty referendum.
    However, the opposition last night lost no time in unleashing a potentially damaging campaign against the former minister. Mr Kenny is to summon party members of the Houses of the Oireachtas Commission to a key gathering tomorrow.

One possible demand is that the Kerry South TD pays back money spent on luxury travel for his wife.
    It is understood they will discuss asking for the repayment "of costs not incurred directly in relation to the Ceann Comhairle's office".
    This is a reference to his wife's travel and other elements such as advertising for political clinics in Kerry.
    The Fine Gael meeting will also seek a reduction in staffing in the office of Ceann Comhairle and at Mr O'Donoghue's constituency office in Co Kerry.
    It will call for the abolition of the position of special adviser -- now occupied by Dan Collins at a cost to the taxpayer of €100,000 per year.
    A spokesman for the Fine Gael leader said last night: "If these and other matters are not dealt with, then he should consider his position."
    Despite the call to discuss the scandal, political backing for Mr O'Donoghue within the Government remains steady.
    Last night Government chief whip Pat Carey only said that Mr O'Donoghue's ministerial spending had been "within the guidelines" that applied at the time. Other parties were withholding official comment, but will likely indicate their stance today.

A growing loss of confidence in Mr O'Donoghue has become evident since he placed his expenses as Ceann Comhairle before the Dail library on polling day last Friday -- 16 days after he had promised to do so "as soon as possible".
    Mr Gilmore said the latest revelations appear to suggest "a pattern of extravagance" which is "unacceptable to the taxpayers".
    "I am very concerned at the damage that is being done to office of Ceann Comhairle and to the body politic by the continuing controversy surrounding expenses," he said.
    "There is a necessity on the Dail now to consider how this problem should be dealt with," he said.
    Upping the ante considerably on Mr O'Donoghue, the Labour leader said he was now seeking further action, although he stopped well short of calling for the removal of the Ceann Comhairle.

Confidence

"This week I will be seeking a meeting of the leaders of all the political parties to consider how the controversy now surrounding the Ceann Comhairle should be appropriately addressed and what further steps need to be taken to restore public confidence in the operation of the Oireachtas," he said.
    The latest batch of expenses show Mr O'Donoghue was continuing to ring up over €100,000 a year in costs as Ceann Comhairle, even though he had no ministerial responsibilities.
    An outcry followed reports that Mr O'Donoghue, as Ministers for Arts, Sports and Tourism, spent €550,000 on travel, accommodation and expenses in just five years.
    It's now emerged that Mr O'Donoghue spent nearly a quarter of a million euro on luxury trips since becoming Ceann Comhairle in June 2007. He has a salary of more than €225,000 a year.
    The records show he spent €45,000 on travel in two years, including €13,000 on limousine hire. He stayed in luxury hotels and dined out in Michelin-starred restaurants, such as Butte Chaillot in Paris.
    He also spent €11,869 on advertising his clinics in Kerry newspapers.
    Mr O'Donoghue will face other TDs at a meeting of the Houses of the Oireachtas Commission on Wednesday.

The cost of his frequent travel will be raised at the meeting. Fine Gael TD Tom Hayes said he had been "amazed" at the lavishness of O'Donoghue's trips, and that it had "gone beyond a joke".
    Mr O'Donoghue chairs the Houses of the Oireachtas Commission -- which, ironically, oversees politicians' expenses -- by virtue of his office.
    Fianna Fail TD Michael Mulcahy, another member of the Houses of the Oireachtas Commission, declared: "It is absolutely imperative that the Commission sets a very high example for everybody else. I am not rushing to judgment at all. I want to hear what he has to say. But from here on in, I want full independent controls and complete accountability."
    If Mr O'Donoghue were to resign, he would have to fight the next election if he wanted to retain a seat in the Dail. Only the Ceann Comhairle serving at the time a Dail is dissolved is entitled to automatic re-election.

A motion to remove Mr O'Donoghue could be introduced by any party, and would require only a simple majority to have effect. Such a public move is not thought likely however -- since a resignation would most likely be secured by a "quiet word" if political leaders should deem it necessary.
    Wednesday's meeting of the Houses Commission takes place in Leinster House at 5pm.

- Senan Molony, Deputy Political Editor

Irish Independent
    Source: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/odonoghue-knives-out-over-his-expenses-1904164.html

Pressure Mounts In Row Over Expenses

kdl451.jpg
    Source: http://e-edition.metroireland.ie/2009/10/05/

At this stage, its a damage limitation action some of the parties are doing, while meanwhile praying that the attention don't focus soon after or during more so by the media, back on them too and their expenses - vouched or unvouched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

What really disgusts me is this line they all use "acting within guidlines". Why can't one of them stand up and say "Yes, its acting within guidlines, but its totally unacceptable".

I really think that politicians on all sides of the house have no idea how angry people are. There's a reckoning coming!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Is Eamonn Gilmore in danger of opening a can of worms here? What about the Leas Ceann Chomhairle's expenses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

I really think that politicians on all sides of the house have no idea how angry people are. There's a reckoning coming!!
    Maybe they think the Lisbon vote really is an endorsement of their leadership.

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    Maybe they think the Lisbon vote really is an endorsement of their leadership.

I was going to joke that "they wouldn't be that stupid" but then... :rolleyes:

No, they know it wasn't and it was obvious even by the next days papers with the soundbites from opposition, that as they stated, it was back to business at trying to rid the country of FF.

That said, they had a golden opportunity to be rid of one (O' Donaghue) and reduce their majority more so - as he is still a sitting FF TD.
    But no, they so far won't dare take that chance because of a possible related backlash as per detailed in another thread a few times.

Biggins wrote: »
    I was going to joke that "they wouldn't be that stupid" but then... :rolleyes:
    Its not so much that they might be that stupid, but that they feel the electorate are that stupid. The fact that the electorate voted yes in spite of their being in government should in fact give them the terrors.

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    Its not so much that they might be that stupid, but that they feel the electorate are that stupid.

Having spoken to some of them at local and national level a great number of times, this would be nothing new! Just sheep to be herded!
    Some are VERY condescending towards their electorate - but then again the opposition is also guilty of this also.

• Advertisement

Having spoken to some of them at local and national level a great number of times, this would be nothing new! Just sheep to be herded!
    Some are VERY condescending towards their electorate - but them again the opposition is also guilty of this also.
    Sons of politicians. And they wonder why there is low turnout for elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

I heard Ferus o Dowd(FG) on newstalk this morning,during his 10 minute interview he spent 8 minutes ranting on about JOD is an great ceann comhairle and an "honourable" person.....He did his best to avoid the questoins about him living the high life at our expense! I think that in future when the irish public hear a politician use the word "honourable" alarm bells should . John o Donoghue has now joined Ray Burke and Rody Molloy as being discribed as honourable.....a real honourable group of people(who also screwed the irish people) as we all know:rolleyes:

bonzos wrote: »
    I heard Fergus O'Dowd (FG) on newstalk this morning, during his 10 minute interview he spent 8 minutes ranting on about JOD is an great ceann comhairle and an "honourable" person.....He did his best to avoid the questoins about him living the high life at our expense!

Of course he did. I mentioned this ages ago.
    Fergus himself in only in the job as a new TD a while back, yet he himself has run up expenses so far of €115,000!
    (and thats on top of an automatic expense allocation €40,000 and their basic wage of €106,000 + €40,090 for a secretary!)
    28r02so.jpg
    (See: http://www.unitedpeople.ie/greed.html)
    - and this is a man that campaigned around my area on the promise "Elect me, I'll see about overspending!"

Bunch of liars the lot of them!
    John O'Donoghue has now joined Ray Burke and Rody Molloy as being described as honourable.....a real honourable group of people (who also screwed the Irish people) as we all know

Wot! Ya forgot about old Charlie H. already! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I don't know was this mentioned already but on the radio today they said that he used to fly to Kerry while his driver would drive down and pick him up at the airport in Kerry to drive him home!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭frman

Did he claim for the "neck like a jockey's bollix" that he acquired ?

frman wrote: »
    Did he claim for the "neck like a jockey's bollix" that he acquired ?
    No need. You get that as a freebie when you rise to the FF elite!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Scien wrote: »
    ceann_comharle_odono979101_display.jpg

LOL I like it!

My version...

2iapobk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

LOL I like it!

My version...

2iapobk.jpg
    "one must remember that one did not personally gain in any way from ones travels"

• Advertisement

"one must remember that one did not personally gain in any way from ones travels"

:pac: LOL Aye!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Scien wrote: »
    "I'm off to rent a Hat"

ceann_comharle_odono979101_display.jpg
    That's our money you pr!ck. The useless opposition better do something and quick about this thief!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Brassnecktowin.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 iarmhi Gael

I have set up an online petition asking for the resignation of John O'Donoghue. John O'Donoghue Must Resign Petition : [ powered by iPetitions.com ]
    I hope to get as many signatures as possible and if he has not resigned by the Oireactas meeting - I will forward it to the leaders of their respective parties in the Dail.

If you want this outcome I ask that you please sign and send to as many friends as possible. Put it up on your Twitter - facebook accounts and get the word out. We all have a position to play with regard this. If we get as many signatures as possible - it will add to the pressure.
    Go raibh maith agat.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It seems you have to pay to sign that petition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 iarmhi Gael

Stark wrote: »
    It seems you have to pay to sign that petition?

No its free Stark.. As far as I can see they ask for donations after a few signatures are added.

No one should pay for this

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I have set up an online petition asking for the resignation of John O'Donoghue. John O'Donoghue Must Resign Petition : [ powered by iPetitions.com ]
    I hope to get as many signatures as possible and if he has not resigned by the Oireactas meeting - I will forward it to the leaders of their respective parties in the Dail.

If you want this outcome I ask that you please sign and send to as many friends as possible. Put it up on your Twitter - facebook accounts and get the word out. We all have a position to play with regard this. If we get as many signatures as possible - it will add to the pressure.
    Go raibh maith agat.
    Done and done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

dinneenp wrote: »
    I don't know was this mentioned already but on the radio today they said that he used to fly to Kerry while his driver would drive down and pick him up at the airport in Kerry to drive him home!!!!

That's quite unbelievable! How can this be defended?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭niffle

Go raibh maith agat.

Done & Done:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Done

Advertisement