Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John O'Donoghue and his travel spending spree

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Stark wrote: »
    It seems you have to pay to sign that petition?

Hmm, tried again. Seems like my comment is showing up in the names column and my name isn't showing up at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,044 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ardent wrote: »
    That's quite unbelievable! How can this be defended?

This is Ireland and this is how we do things. I think a lot are maybe overlooking the fact that
    this whole affair is a team effort and when a person has the backing of a team, it can be very hard to shift said person. It takes one or two high ranking TDs or Ministers' to speak out against this to cause a swing, and we know well that this won't happen. The barrel is rotten!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

walshb wrote: »
    This is Ireland and this is how we do things. I think a lot are maybe overlooking the fact that
    this whole affair is a team effort and when a person has the backing of a team, it can be very hard to shift said person. It takes one or two high ranking TDs or Ministers' to speak out against this to cause a swing, and we know well that this won't happen. The barrel is rotten!

To the Core

I have received 5 replies from the TD's last one from Gormless waffle waffle that's all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

The problem is that our government are living like they are rock stars. That's what it is. Getting a limo from one terminal in Heathrow to the next? Flying first class, staying in hotel rooms that cost €800 a night? Like, that's rock star lifestyle - it should not be the lifestyle of a government official.

As for this bringing his wife along on all these things - if he has to fly somewhere and is given say business class, then in order for his wife to come too, he should either (a) pay for her himself or (b) swap his business seat for two economy seats. And they should not be staying in five star hotels either - give them allowance for a four star, if they want to up it to five then let them pay the balance themselves.

John O D is a disgrace - he was just living it up with the wife and blowing all our tax payers money on a lavish lifestyle. He should have to step down - I'm sick of all this "oh he's on a neutral side / he can't comment" blah blah, bull**** - man up and resign. And pay back the money you wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,044 ✭✭✭✭walshb

tinkerbell wrote: »
    . And pay back the money you wasted.

With interest-you horrible f*&%!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

The problem is that our government are living like they are rock stars. That's what it is. Getting a limo from one terminal in Heathrow to the next? Flying first class, staying in hotel rooms that cost €800 a night? Like, that's rock star lifestyle - it should not be the lifestyle of a government official.

As for this bringing his wife along on all these things - if he has to fly somewhere and is given say business class, then in order for his wife to come too, he should either (a) pay for her himself or (b) swap his business seat for two economy seats. And they should not be staying in five star hotels either - give them allowance for a four star, if they want to up it to five then let them pay the balance themselves.

John O D is a disgrace - he was just living it up with the wife and blowing all our tax payers money on a lavish lifestyle. He should have to step down - I'm sick of all this "oh he's on a neutral side / he can't comment" blah blah, bull**** - man up and resign. And pay back the money you wasted.

Fec k that 2 star and economy all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Opposition leaders need to be calling for his head, none of this pay some of the money back by Enda Kenny and wait and hear his response from Gilmore.

He should step down of his own accord right now and that should be demanded by the party leaders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=146748563594

online petition I came on, if you know what I mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

dinneenp wrote: »
    I don't know was this mentioned already but on the radio today they said that he used to fly to Kerry while his driver would drive down and pick him up at the airport in Kerry to drive him home!!!!
    He also arranged for his former department (Arts/Sports/Tourism/Fun) to be moved, for no business reason, to his own constituency, at a cost of €19.5m, excluding re-staffing costs. I presume the new office was decorated Loius XIV style as befitted someone of his high station.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Lets take a step back for a minute. A couple of things to note.

* FF do NOT in ANY way want him to step down and resign. That would reduce their numbers as a majority government.

* Within the rules JOD has (according to him) done nothing wrong so ANY attempt to force him to pay back anything substantial would be met with a hell of a legal battle that might roll on for years. All parties knowing he (like them to be honest) has screwed the system, will know this and thus want to avoid such a legal mess -they want it all to go away as quick as poss'! At what cost further to the state is the next question...

What will happen?

Here's my prediction:

* JOD will make a token offer/payment(s) that will in no way even come close to what he and his wife squandered.

* The opposition will publically (for PR) reluctantly be seen to accept this but will - and quietly amid themselves be glad to take any back payments in hope that the affair will quickly die off before they get dragged up into it themselves and exposed themselves for their own costly antics.

* FF will make some grumblings but will do their darndest to hang on to JOD's seat - and if that means keeping him in the Dail even as a backbencher - they will ensure to do that. The opposition will agree to this - again in hope that the affair then alone, will quickly go away for the above reasons outlined.

* In a couple of months time when the fiasco has died down, he might be quietly pensioned off with a nice package.

...O' and the Greens will continue to bark behind FF in the long run while publicly stating a soundbite for PR reasons alone.

What SHOULD happen but sadly won't?

* Every member of the Dail that has an ounce left in them of decency and balls should at a pre-determined date, stand up all at once in the Dail and state for the official record "Mr JOD - we no longer have any confidence in you nor trust you - be gone from hence this place!"

* Make him payback a hell of a lot more. Personally, I'd have no hesitation in calling in the C.A.B. boys. Change the legal law if necessary to facilitate this!
    Even if it means he having to sell one of his homes (Dublin or Central London)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

This sort of stuff happened in the UK and what did the government officials do over there? They RESIGNED! As it's seen as an embarrasment ... hmm our useless government? They ignore the situation and stay in the government! The problem is they have no shame and no morals whatsoever.

Oh and I actually do think that they should be made fly economy - they get paid enough to be able to fund the business class upgrade themselves. That John O D guy gets paid over €200k to do what exactly? Sit in the Dail and keep order?! Is that all he does?!

This sort of stuff happened in the UK and what did the government officials do over there? They RESIGNED! As it's seen as an embarrasment ... hmm our useless government? They ignore the situation and stay in the government! The problem is they have no shame and no morals whatsoever.

Oh and I actually do think that they should be made fly economy - they get paid enough to be able to fund the business class upgrade themselves. That John O D guy gets paid over €200k to do what exactly? Sit in the Dail and keep order?! Is that all he does?!

JOD will give his explanation when he thinks of one. 6 news was terrible tonight, not one party outright saying he should go even though 99.9% of voters want this IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

according to the news he his getting alot of suport in kerry :rolleyes:.he will either step down with a golden handshake (like all the other white collar criminals ) or the whole thing will get brushed under the carpet....like all good criminals he knows the law inside out and that no amount of media pressure can force him to go!in any case it looks like the good people of kerry will just vote him back in next time around.tax payer should bare in mind that morals do not come into issues regarding FF and money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

A lot of people keep missing this: he doesn't need to be voted in next time.

As Ceann Comhairle, he is guaranteed his seat in the next general election, so his constituency will just have one less seat to vote on next time round.

As such, he could theoretically stay a TD until 2017 without having to face the electorate.

Jesus howdy, am I right there... (5 years from 2007, then another 5). :mad:

bonzos wrote: »
    according to the news he his getting a lot of support in Kerry :rolleyes:. He will either step down with a golden handshake (like all the other white collar criminals ) or the whole thing will get brushed under the carpet... like all good criminals he knows the law inside out and that no amount of media pressure can force him to go! In any case it looks like the good people of Kerry will just vote him back in next time around.tax payer should bare in mind that morals do not come into issues regarding FF and money.

If he can stall long enough for the protests to die down, he will bide his time and wait till the next general election.
    What some don't know is that because of his present position in the Dail, one of the many perks of that job is that he doesn't have to stand for election like all the rest.
    His seat will be automatically awarded back to him. Yep, that's right - he doesn't have to stand again.
    If he did resign before the next election is called, he would have to stand again for a TD role.

So he knows and his comrades in FF knows that if they can come up with some delay and/or diversionary tactic, they have at least that seat saved in FF hands.
    He WON'T resign - not unless EVERY TD stands up in the Dail and passes a vote of no confidence. :rolleyes:
    The opposition will continue to make the usual noise but nothing more.
    They want the issue to go away rapid!

according to the news he his getting alot of suport in kerry

ah they are just local loons. The only people that will go on t.v. will be the morons knocking around all day waiting for the worst boozer south of clonmel to open. The ones who hate him wont go on. If they asked the question in grafton st there would be different answers.

Basically it looks to me that JOD could had murdered someone and the political establishment would let him off the hook. What the political establishment dont realise is that they are all being judged (not by what JOD did) but by their inability to do anything about it and there half hearted resignation calls and letting JOD buy more time on top of more time. JOD needs to fall on his own sword (as the casanostra saying goes) but even JOD wont follow any rules as there are no rule nor dignity for the political mafia.

If there was an election in the morning this could have as bad an impact on FG as FF since they havent the backbone to call him a disgrace and tell him that he has to resign. Instead we have a meeting of the parties etc WTF. Infact I aready think it will have damaging effects as we head closer to an election.

dodgyme wrote: »
    ...What the pol establishment dont realise is that they are all being judged not by what JOD did but by their inability to do anything about it and there half hearted resignation call.

Well said. You got it in one.

The opposition are just as much being judged right now as the clown trying to evade, duck and keep his job!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I heard something terrible on the radio this afternoon........please don't let it be true.
    But there is talk about shipping JOD out to Europe as a commissioner when Charlie's term is up....surely not!!!

I heard something terrible on the radio this afternoon........please don't let it be true.
    But there is talk about shipping JOD out to Europe as a commissioner when Charlie's term is up....surely not!!!
    I doubt it - unless they use that as a sweetener after his term is up in his present position, again, which FF don't want him to lose presently due to their slim knife-edge majority.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Considering EU accountants have been refusing to sign off on MEP's expenses every year for the past 14 years, I'm sure he would have no problems fitting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Biggins wrote: »
    Lets take a step back for a minute. A couple of things to note.

* FF do NOT in ANY way want him to step down and resign. That would reduce their numbers as a majority government.

* FF will make some grumblings but will do their darndest to hang on to JOD's seat - and if that means keeping him in the Dail even as a backbencher - they will ensure to do that. The opposition will agree to this - again in hope that the affair then alone, will quickly go away for the above reasons outlined.
    If he steps down, it gives FF an increased majority of 2 by adding one back to FF and taking a new CC off the opposition benches.

As CC, as has been already pointed out, he is automatically returned at the next election. I'm not sure what happens in the situation where he does not want to return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

ninty9er wrote: »
    I'm not sure what happens in the situation where he does not want to return.

**** what he wants (which appears to be the high life at our expense) what the PEOPLE want (and should DEMAND) is that he be fired!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ninty9er wrote: »
    If he steps down, it gives FF an increased majority of 2 by adding one back to FF and taking a new CC off the opposition benches.

As CC, as has been already pointed out, he is automatically returned at the next election. I'm not sure what happens in the situation where he does not want to return.
    Isn't he only automatically returned if he is CC on the day the Dáil is dissolved?

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

this is just a huge game of cat and mouse between us (the taxpayer) and the crooks in the dail ....they have tried the usual tricks already..keeping quite,releasing the detail on the same day as lisbon etc... it says alot for the standard of people running our country

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

kbannon wrote: »
    Isn't he only automatically returned if he is CC on the day the Dáil is dissolved?
    Yes, but the other option is giving the government an extra 2 votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Opposition don't have to accept do they?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

this is just a huge game of cat and mouse between us (the taxpayer) and the crooks in the dail ....they have tried the usual tricks already..keeping quite,releasing the detail on the same day as lisbon etc... it says alot for the standard of people running our country
    I think the fact that Kenny, Gilmore et al are content with JOD paying off some of the money indicates how they rate his actions!
    If we had a proper opposition, they would be calling for a resignation!

To me this shows that they are all abusing the expenses situation whenever they can and don't want to lose it! They realise that were they to provide receipts for everything and be able to justify them like employees in the real world have to, then their income/lifestyles would diminish.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

kbannon wrote: »
    I think the fact that Kenny, Gilmore et al are content with JOD paying off some of the money indicates how they rate his actions!
    If we had a proper opposition, they would be calling for a resignation!

To me this shows that they are all abusing the expenses situation whenever they can and don't want to lose it! They realise that were they to provide receipts for everything and be able to justify them like employees in the real world have to, then their income/lifestyles would diminish.

I agree. With their (opposition) lack of conviction in pursuing JOD and his scandalous expenses they might as well endorse what he did. They don't want to pursue it too much because it would derail the expenses gravy train for all....a couple of soundbites here and there seems to be about as much as their willing to do. A disgrace IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 smokinp

They (F Gael and Labour) are staying quite because they were on the take 2 the last time they were in office.. Its a perk of the job.. Grab what you can while you are in office..
    We dont have an opposition in this country. If we did Kenny would be on the record calling thievin jod the parasite that he is and calling for him to go now..
    Its the same crap we are looking at again and again.. Remember the last election FG and Lab saying nothing about Berties carry on..
    Its a disgrace and should make us all ashamed that these are our elected officials..

Advertisement