Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John O'Donoghue and his travel spending spree

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

FG James Reilly was just saying on TV3's "Vincent Brown" that he heard a number of Green names has been banded around for the position of CC (- probably if only to ensure that the Greens still stay with FF and give them support till the end!)

What a shower of back-stabbing wasters! Disgraceful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

I was watching frontline and not one person really displayed the level of anger in the streets about this.

Mary O'Rourke was going on about how he liked racing :confused:and the indo correspondant was toothless in his response:o whereas the other political analyst seemed to think it was general reform that was needed:mad: and JOD was ok as a result. It was like being at a debate where everyone was kinda on the same side.
    namloc1980 wrote: »
    I agree. With their (opposition) lack of conviction in pursuing JOD and his scandalous expenses they might as well endorse what he did.

I remember as a young lad growing up (long time ago:pac:) and the local gardai would come in the pub and we'd be drinking under age brazen like the likely lads. They'd pick out the fella who was in the worst condition and 'parents involve, gardai to the house etc, you know the drill'
    We'd stop going into that pub and wouldnt pull th p*ss as much afterwards i.e when one got caught we reformed our attitude and weren't so cocky!. We were also aware of getting caught and getting a few kicks up the ar*e when your auld fella found out.

Basically the gardai would make an example of the most obvious. In the JOD case this is what is needed. People want a head here too and the system cant be reformed or the populus can not have faith that it will be until a head is on a stick. JOD step forward.!!!!!!

If the gardai in the e.g. above didnt make an example we would continue to flout the system and know there was not repercussions. This is were the argument 'they are all at it so why pick on OD' doesnt wash with the taxpayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

dodgyme wrote: »
    I was watching frontline and not one person really displayed the level of anger in the streets about this.

Mary O'Rourke was going on about how he liked racing :confused:and the indo correspondant was toothless in his response:o whereas the other political analyst seemed to think it was general reform that was needed:mad: and JOD was ok as a result. It was like being at a debate where everyone was kinda on the same side.

Just more evidence that the people and the politicians are in two different worlds TBH.

The man has to go. I thought the representatives of the green party did well tonight in the audience.
    I remember as a young lad growing up (long time ago:pac:) and the local gardai would come in the pub and we'd be drinking under age brazen like the likely lads. They'd pick out the fella who was in the worst condition and 'parents involve, gardai to the house etc, you know the drill'
    We'd stop going into that pub and wouldnt pull th p*ss as much afterwards i.e when one got caught we reformed our attitude and weren't so cocky!. We were also aware of getting caught and getting a few kicks up the ar*e when your auld fella found out.

Basically the gardai would make an example of the most obvious. In the JOD case this is what is needed. People want a head here too and the system cant be reformed or the populus can not have faith that it will be until a head is on a stick. JOD step forward.!!!!!!

If the gardai in the e.g. above didnt make an example we would continue to flout the system and know there was not repercussions. This is were the argument 'they are all at it so why pick on OD' doesnt wash with the taxpayer.

Exactly, I don't know why people can't see that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Dublin1600

John can also be contacted at the following email addresses

john.odonoghue@oireachtas.ie

Ceann.Comhairle@oireachtas.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

dodgyme wrote: »

Mary o rourke is being put forward as this mother nature figure of FF ,in other words wouldnt lie to ya she is a harmless lady coming to the end of her career......Its totally unreal the mary o rourke can be still any way involved with a party which stole money from a fund for her sick brother (Brian) due to pure greed.here again all day yesterday she was on the radio and tv trying her best to water down the actions of another greedy focker...shame on you o rourke ,you have no respect for yourself,your family or your country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Mary O'Rourke really got up my nose on Frontine ast night, "Sure he likes a bit of racing, whats wrong with that?". I wanted to shout at her "He's using my f***ing money to do it!".

Its like that advert for the insurance fraud "He went on holiday, and put his hand in your pocket to pay for it".

I really think that the politicians are so far out of touch with us they think that a bit of an apology will do. Those days are over. He has to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Mary O'Rourke really got up my nose on Frontine ast night, "Sure he likes a bit of racing, whats wrong with that?". I wanted to shout at her "He's using my f***ing money to do it!".
    That really underlines the problem - the politicians literally do see themselves as a seperate class at this stage, an aristocracy entitled by divine right to plunder the peasants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

The Semi State Body, Horse Racing Ireland, has admitted it has picked up bills of over 20,000 euros on behalf of ministrial delegations led by John O'Donghue to 9 international race meetings between 2003 and 2007.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1006/1224255983654.html

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

deadhead13 wrote: »
    The Semi State Body, Horse Racing Ireland, has admitted it has picked up bills of over 20,000 euros on behalf of ministrial delegations led by John O'Donghue to 9 international race meetings between 2003 and 2007.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1006/1224255983654.html

If after the weekend he is not gone we at boards should try to organise a public demonstration outside the dail when he is in the chair !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 iarmhi Gael

donoghue.jpg

There is a facebook group which started yesterday looking for people to join and force his resignation. - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=146748563594&ref=mf

• Advertisement

From the Irish Times - Front page! LOL

15gdrol.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 46,125 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Well O'Donoghue is playing a major role in the new Quentin Tarantino move to be released soon.

ATT000011.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You'd think by his figure in that picture that his lazy arse wasn't been chauffered around at a rate of €157 per min over the past 5 years.

Just how twisted is Irish politics is exemplified in the meeting that will take place tomorrow to decide his further fate!
    See below - then dwell on this: How can they seriously do anything forcefully and useful when they themselves are at the same act to varying degrees (total for this lot - 1.3 million in the last two years alone!)!

Talk about hypocrisy! Expect something timid, full of hot air and PR soundbite spin.
    Nothing more.

i3ar83.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Biggins wrote: »
    Just how twisted is Irish politics is examplified in the meeting that will take place tomorrow to decide his further fate!
    See below - then dwell on this: How can they seriously do anything forcefully and useful when they themselves are at the same act to varying degrees (total for this lot - 1.3 million in the last two years alone!)!

Talk about hypocrisy! Expect something timid, full of hot air and PR soundbite spin.
    Nothing more.

i3ar83.jpg
    is this another spoof movie poster:confused:??????

bonzos wrote: »
    is this another spoof movie poster:confused:??????

No. Irish Mail today page 4.

My question still stands: How can they seriously do anything forcefully and useful when they themselves are at the same act to varying degrees (total for this lot - 1.3 million in the last two years alone!)!

Presently, Irish politics and the way things are done - is a sad depressing self-indulgent farce.
    ...And the taxpayer - you - is literally paying for it.

Remember that at the next budget!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

One great thing about this issue is that it might actually expose the whole Polictical System for what it is a jobs for the boys club, if FG and Labour had any morals they would have put down a motion in the Dail and had JOD removed from his position.

The Greens.... well they have talked the talked about cleaning up Politics and stopping these expenses etc etc yet they have been in Government for over 2 years and nothing has really changed, they have sold their soul.

I just can't wait for the next General Election when the Greens are wiped out, worrying about bloody Fur farms and Stag Hunting when over 400,000 are out of work, ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 kevkeegan

i saw poor ol johnny boy in schull this weekend and felt it was shocking the the poor ol lad had to spend the days this way when he should be enjoying the GG's in paris for us!! could we all chip in something for hom ye reckon???

Listening to Joe Duffy at the moment, he just reminded us about JOD spending €11k on wallpaper curtains for the refurbishment of the Ceann C office!! I had forgotten about that. He has a good bit of "previous" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭john-joe

While I agree with most of the posts on this subject of JoD AND HIS 'expenses', I must say that all parties (ff,fg,lab,greens) have to take some responsibility here. I'm sure they all have claimed expenses that were not needed.:mad:

I think it is a great shame that politics in general has come to this. :(

No wonder when they are elected they are celebrating like they won the champions league!!!

''The gravy train is boarding''

JJ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Listening to Joe Duffy at the moment, he just reminded us about JOD spending €11k on wallpaper curtains for the refurbishment of the Ceann C office!! I had forgotten about that. He has a good bit of "previous" ;)

At least he didn't get €200K like someone else who apparently likes a gamble (be it the economy or with his mates in Manchester)!!!

Imagine - €11K for wallpaper and €200K to do up ONE EXISTING OFFICE !!! :mad:

What's B&Q or Ikea's prices for wallpaper and office furniture ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    At least he didn't get €200K like someone else who apparently likes a gamble (be it the economy or with his mates in Manchester)!!!

The same gentleman apparently got a standing ovation and a rousing cheer when arriving to chair a debate in UCD.
    It seems that lying, cheating and f*cking up the country is the surest way to canonisation in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭john-joe

bmaxi wrote: »
    The same gentleman apparently got a standing ovation and a rousing cheer when arriving to chair a debate in UCD.
    It seems that lying, cheating and f*cking up the country is the surest way to canonisation in Ireland

well said.;)

it seems we love are ould rogues here in ireland :rolleyes:

For the first time in my life I've logged onto the Oireachtas live feed to see if JOD turns up....he's there! Big lovely red face on him:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

bmaxi wrote: »
    He got run out the back door by an angry mob in NUIG.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Anyone else hear on the radio just now, Cowen has refused the request by the opposition leaders to discuss JOD expenses! Cmon greens you cant stay in bed with this lot. He just gave us all 2 fingers

murfie wrote: »
    Anyone else hear on the radio just now, Cowen has refused the request by the opposition leaders to discuss JOD expenses! Cmon greens you cant stay in bed with this lot. He just gave us all 2 fingers AGAIN!

Sorry - had to correct that. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

murfie wrote: »
    Anyone else hear on the radio just now, Cowen has refused the request by the opposition leaders to discuss JOD expenses! Cmon greens you cant stay in bed with this lot. He just gave us all 2 fingers

Yeah I heard it. A labour spokesman said they are now considering their options i.e. trying to figure out another way of not calling for O'Donoghues resignation but still giving the appearance of being outraged on behalf of the taxpayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    He got run out the back door by an angry mob in NUIG.

Rightly so. We Dubs are probably immune to scumbags, we've more experience. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Yeah I heard it. A labour spokesman said they are now considering their options i.e. trying to figure out another way of not calling for O'Donoghues resignation but still giving the appearance of being outraged on behalf of the taxpayer.

Hope your wrong but i wont hold me breath. Surely their only option now is to call for his resignation.

Advertisement