Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John O'Donoghue and his travel spending spree

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,041 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It's all hot air and garbage about discussions and talking and clarity and apologies; the opposition will do damn all, the government will do damn all, because the whole damn
    lot are part of the corruption and skullduggery that is inherent in Irish politics.

I would be very surprised if JOD was sacked. As one man said a few mins ago on Joe Duffy: "Why is anyone surprised and outraged, this has been going on for years."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

murfie wrote: »
    ...Surely their only option now is to call for his resignation.

It is, but the lot of them will wriggle out of it.
    I'd run down to Paddy Powers and put money on it.
    Its a sure thing!

Biggins wrote: »
    It is, but the lot of them will wriggle out of it.
    I'd run down to Paddy Powers and put money on it.
    Its a sure thing!

Absolutely Biggins. I know I have said this before, but the team are so much stronger than than the player and in this case, John is on a team!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

walshb wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if JOD was sacked. As one man said a few mins ago on Joe Duffy: "Why is anyone surprised and outraged, this has been going on for years."

Indeed. As a civil servant texting into Matt Cooper wrote yesterday, why is this suddenly considered excessive when everyone knew for years that, for example, Bertie Ahern was charging makeup(!) bills which amounted to more than his (the civil servant's) annual salary to the taxpayer?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Just had a look at oireachtas online too, The bull is more like a little lamb giving the appearance of been very polite and affable. I can only count about 12 in the chamber where is the rest of the free loaders sorry i mean elected representatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭markpb

bmaxi wrote: »
    The same gentleman apparently got a standing ovation and a rousing cheer when arriving to chair a debate in UCD.
    It seems that lying, cheating and f*cking up the country is the surest way to canonisation in Ireland

There's a thread in the DCU forum here full of current students revering Bertie and congratulating themselves on interviewing him on the college radio so he can whore out his new book.

Darsad wrote: »
    ...where is the rest of the free loaders sorry i mean elected representatives.
    In their bunkers, hiding from any microphone, camera or journalist till after Wednesday I suspect.
    Then they will stick their heads out more so and have a nice comfortable soundbite for their supporters. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Darsad wrote: »
    Just had a look at oireachtas online too, The bull is more like a little lamb giving the appearance of been very polite and affable. I can only count about 12 in the chamber where is the rest of the free loaders sorry i mean elected representatives.

You mustn't watch it too often 12 is pretty high, the only time you get them all in is for a vote or leaders questions when the camera's are on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭deisedol

markpb wrote: »
    There's a thread in the DCU forum here full of current students revering Bertie and congratulating themselves on interviewing him on the college radio so he can whore out his new book.
    I Saw a picture of Berties autobiography, i must say the make up looked good , took years off him!
    I really cant see people buying Berties Buuk for the autobiographical details - as we all know he suffered from severe bouts of amnesia and memory losss while being questioned at the tribunal and by media journalists in RTE.
    Why should we now read a book from a man who is in to makey uppey stories, half truths and bouts of amnesia.
    An autobiography...mmmm.....more like science fiction!

I note just now that Ian Clement, former English deputy of London mayor Boris Johnson, in the last news hour has gotten a 12 week suspended sentence for "misusing his expenses".
    (He paid for three personal meals (total £150) with his lover on a government credit card when he was supposed to be working!)

What will our man get that was only supposedly representing the state, spent half a million Euro and that not including the cost of the state jet!
    A slap on the wrist, his continued job and a hell of a nice pension to top it all off.

Welcome to the old ways of Irish politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭niffle

what can be done? the opposition had a perfect opportunity to force an election , but unfortunately it is an election they dont want to win. the only choice is widespread public action but do we have the stomach for that??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Gilmore is planning to table a motion of no confidence judging by today's Dáil debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

markpb wrote: »

Had a look at that, you seemed to be ploughing a lonely furrow. Fortunately, not too many posts so we can still have hope for the next generation but it's sad to see people ready to excuse and defend him.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Stark wrote: »
    Gilmore is planning to table a motion of no confidence judging by today's Dáil debate.

I will say one thing, I dont like the idea of Labour running the country but I am happy Gilmore and Labour look like they are going to push this through.

Why does FG allow Labour to take the moral high ground, instead they could be seen to be the party to stick it to FF, and not put up with the misuse of government monies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Stark wrote: »

Motion tabled. Gilmore has stated no confidence and called on JOD to resign or be removed from his post.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1006/politics.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

murfie wrote: »
    I will say one thing, I dont like the idea of Labour running the country but I am happy Gilmore and Labour look like they are going to push this through.

I think he's a gonna and then it'll be the boil lanced and so business as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Motion tabled. Gilmore has stated no confidence and called on JOD to resign or be removed from his post.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1006/politics.html

They still have to follow through. So far they've only stated their intentions of calling fora motion of no confidence.

They'll hope go goes (someone whispers in his ear) and no vote is required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Yep he's a dead man walking. About time as well. Cowen's response that he believed O'Donoghue deserved more time to explain his expenses is laughable.

How much will O'Donoghue get now for resigning?

I won't hold my breath here. The only way John is going is by his own resignation. He will not be sacked, he will be backed and backed by the lot of them.

He will get no respect from me should he resign, as it's far too late and
    regardless, his behaviour in office is an absolute disgrace.

The thing is, he can't see any wrong at all. That's the type of character we're dealing with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

He will not be sacked, he will be backed and backed by the lot of them.

What's the likelihood of this motion being carried I wonder? You'd have to have serious doubts about any politician that has confidence in JOD at the moment.

Banter Joe wrote: »
    What's the likelihood of this motion being carried I wonder? You'd have to have serious doubts about any politician that has confidence in JOD at the moment.
    LOL You should have heard Fergus O'Dowd yesterday on Newstalk then.

BIG opps and egg on his face then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 kevkeegan

guys was he not put in as the c.c. in the dail as a scapegoat position, surely F.F. saw this coming ages ago so they put him in the "safe seat"

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

What about poor kate anne??will she have to lower herself to paying for her own flights from now on?maybe we should have a whip around on boards for her.......not to worry kate anne ,it looks like the people of kerry will see than john gets his head back in the troff agian in the future.

Banter Joe wrote: »

Well, up to now he is being backed and defended, so the answer to your query is that the politicians backing him are every bit as crooked. This isn't the first time a chancer and con man has been defended and backed and it certainly will not be the last. It's the Irish way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Listening to Drivetime, apparently the people of south Kerry are up in arms at the "victimisation" of JOD. I give up

Listening to Drivetime, apparently the people of south Kerry are up in arms at the "victimisation" of JOD. I give up
    Again, not surprising. Haughey made Taoiseach, and Lowry didn't do too bad either.

The bigger the gouger, the better the result!

Well they can 'hail the hero' when he returns, the rest of us can judge them for the gombeens they are.

Again, not surprising. Haughey made Taoiseach, and Lowry didn't do too bad either.

The bigger the gouger, the better the result!

O'Rea is still in with a shot then? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

every time i see that video clip of JOD stand in front of an audience with a big stupid smile on his face and kate anne in the back ground with her mouth wide open clappin like a circus aminal it make me sick..so much of my tax waiste on these two clowns treating them to the high life

Advertisement