Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John O'Donoghue and his travel spending spree

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

well let me ask the question if he does either step down or is removed what will happen with his vote as a TD. He will go back into the ranks as a backbencher i presume, gives them one extra vote. But who then takes over as Ceann Comhairle, will Labour's Brendan Howlin be promoted from Leas-Cheann Comhairle, but doesnt he have to pledge to back the government then. that wont happen will it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

murfie wrote: »
    well let me ask the question if he does either step down or is removed what will happen with his vote as a TD. He will go back into the ranks as a backbencher i presume, gives them one extra vote. But who then takes over as Ceann Comhairle...

FG James Reilly stated last night on RTE that he had heard a few names of Greens that might be proposed as his replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,041 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What should happen to him, and others who abuse their positions like he has, is that they should be sacked and banned from ever holding a position of authority again. This includes a TD position. They should simply be ousted from all political life. We need standards and accountability. These are what may save us. Up until now, we have never had either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

He'll resign and be get a few Committee's to chair or the like to make up for it.

FF know the Public is circling looking for blood and its easier to throw one TD to the wolves and keep the public at bay for a while longer than try and stand by him.

He'll be gone by tomorrow imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

walshb wrote: »
    What should happen to him, and others who abuse their positions like he has, is that they should be sacked and banned from ever holding a position of authority again.
    RTE says that Labour will table a motion of no confidence in him & there are rumours that he might step down.

I presume if he does, he'll avoid further enquiries into his behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whats depressing is that this should be the start of a process not the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Could O'Don have fancied a run at the presidency in two years? Thus his hanging on attempt.

The Bull as President? :D He's got to get past Bertie first!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Bertie was soiled goods. Now they both are :D

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    Bertie was soiled goods. Now they both are :D

What's the bet that Bertie wins the Presidency and creates a special advisers post and John takes that. It wouldn't fu*k%ng surprise me

Or, failing this, maybe John becomes a civilian aide de camp

• Advertisement

The Bull might have walked (trotted?)

http://twitter.com/breakfastnt/status/4659996376

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭john-joe

murfie wrote: »
    well let me ask the question if he does either step down or is removed what will happen with his vote as a TD. He will go back into the ranks as a backbencher i presume, gives them one extra vote. But who then takes over as Ceann Comhairle, will Labour's Brendan Howlin be promoted from Leas-Cheann Comhairle, but doesnt he have to pledge to back the government then. that wont happen will it?

could he stand as an independent, like his fellow native jackie healy!?
    :confused:

Now lets listen to "I have resigned but I have done no wrong and I never enetered public life for any financial benefit, I understand that some of the expenses I recieved were not acceptable and for the Dail does not need this distraction, I have done this state some service..........."

1 of so so so many

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

mike65 wrote: »
    The Bull might have walked (trotted?)

http://twitter.com/breakfastnt/status/4659996376

What was O'D doing in the Newstalk newsroom in the first place ? ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Supposedly gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

No way will FF let him stay around until Saturday. Otherwise its general election time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

heard he is gone.

Statement at 7.30 according P.ie head

Questions on FAS currently ongoing oireachtas live, Howlin is CC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

but will he give the money back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

I think people are just get confused with their Bulls

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Villain wrote: »
    Statement at 7.30 according P.ie head

Questions on FAS currently ongoing oireachtas live, Howlin is CC

http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=/documents/livewebcast/DailFlash512KB.htm

Other viewing options: http://www.oireachtas.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/livewebcast/Web-Live.htm&CatID=83&m=o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

PRESS STATEMENT
    Tuesday, 6 October, 2009

PARLIAMENTARY LABOUR PARTY APPROVES TABLING OF MOTION OF NO CONFIDENCE IN
    CEANN COMHAIRLE

The meeting of the Parliamentary Labour Party this evening approved a
    proposal by the Party Leader, Eamon Gilmore TD, that a motion of no
    confidence should be tabled in the Ceann Comhairle.

Accordingly the following motion has now been tabled.

NOTICE OF MOTION

That Dail Eireann has no confidence in John O’Donoghue TD, as Ceann
    Comhairle.

Ruairi Quinn TD
    Labour Party Spokesperson for Education and Science
    Leinster House
    Kildare Street
    Dublin 2
    01 618 3434
    ruairi.quinn@oireachtas.ie
    www.ruairiquinn.ie

Just got this from Ruari

He'll be gone before the motion ever happens.

Jesus are you watching that Mary Coughlan with her sly remarks and smiles about the Fas deal for Molloy??? Jesus she is some piece of work

He'll be gone before the motion ever happens.

Jesus are you watching that Mary Coughlan with her sly remarks and smiles about the Fas deal for Molloy??? Jesus she is some piece of work

what did she say?

Ah just brushing off Shortall's statement that she was the only Government TD actually in the Dail for the motion, it was hard to hear what she said but the sly smile and laughing would make you sick especially given she was the one that gave Molloy the sweet deal

Ah just brushing off Shortall's statement that she was the only Government TD actually in the Dail for the motion, it was hard to hear what she said but the sly smile and laughing would make you sick especially given she was the one that gave Molloy the sweet deal

Yeah she is a disgrace, they are so smug knowing that even if they retire they can sit back and enjoy a healthy pension! :mad:

Heads must roll.......

Sinn Féin earlier called on the Ceann Comhairle to resign, claiming his position is untenable given 'a continued waste of public money' since he took the job.

I wouldn't use the word waste at all. It makes it far more explainable and "okay."

This wasn't waste. This was much more and much worse.

Kenny could be a big loser here Gilmore will get the credit, Kenny was too slow and lacking, he should have led on this issue

Kenny could be a big loser here Gilmore will get the credit, Kenny was too slow and lacking, he should have led on this issue

Maybe to the gullible morons, Gilmore will be a hero, but to any half brained
    dick, it's simply a case of Gilmore doing what is in the best interest
    of his party. If Eamon was really sincere and genuine, this would have
    happened before now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

I agree. Gilmore went for the jugular and fair play to him. O'Donoghue was playing the "can't talk about the CC" card but Gilmore sliced that apart.

Advertisement