Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John O'Donoghue and his travel spending spree

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

How the hell can Brian Halfwit Clowen take about dancing on graves and never really even bother to address the issue of R-E-F-O-R-M?

Does this man actually WANT to be kicked out of office?
    Maybe hes just not up to it and wants to be kicked out?

Jesus christ, my blood is fcuking itchy at this stage.
    I love to introduce him to my Russian pals, Mr.Kalashnikov and Mr.Molotov:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Dannyboy83 wrote: »

We're all feeling like that, and what are we gonna do about it???? You guessed it.... Naaaathing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

How the hell can Brian Halfwit Clowen take about dancing on graves and never really even bother to address the issue of R-E-F-O-R-M?

Does this man actually WANT to be kicked out of office?
    Maybe hes just not up to it and wants to be kicked out?

I love to introduce him to my Russian pals, Mr.Kalashnikov and Mr.Molotov:mad:
    Yes see an auditor resigned his post because politicians were dragging their issues on the whole issue of vouched expenses. End of the day there seems to lack of political will on issue.
    No TD is willingly going to vote against current system although they may say differently in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Darragh29 wrote: »
    We're all feeling like that, and what are we gonna do about it???? You guessed it.... Naaaathing!

True.
    Sher even the fraud at Anglo was let slide.

It should be obvious to all now why the North would never voluntarily join the republic, and honestly, would you feckin blame them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

True.
    Sher even the fraud at Anglo was let slide.

It should be obvious to all now why the North would never voluntarily join the republic, and honestly, would you feckin blame them?

But sure you couldn't keep a straight face asking anyone in the north to be a part of this jurisdiction, it would make more sense at the moment to ask them could we remove the border but we'd join the UK...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

KetchupKid wrote: »
    I have sympathy for his family, but they aren't our problem. No one cared for my family when I was made redundant or the families of any of the thousands in this country that are unemployed.:mad: And I and most of the unemployed did absolutely nothing wrong. It's sad because those that act despicable get nice big bonuses and the honest people get stepped on! If JOD gets a big payout or gets to keep his job, there should be a revolution!!!!
    JOD didnt show much respect for anyone else family when wasted €200k+ in the last 2 years living the high life,that money could done alot of good for some of OUR kids who spend their school days in cold prefabs(its a long what fron 5 star hotels).....if he had shown the people of this country more respect then his family would not have the problem now,also his wife didnt seem to mind heading off to france horse racing at our expense!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Lenihin said that Tuesday [the day when Gilmor called for JOD to resign] was a bad day for politics.

Lenihins idea of a good day for politics is when you rape the taxpayer and get away with it.

SLUSK wrote: »
    I blame you Irish who keep insisting on voting FF...
    Next time you meet your local FF TD or councillor ask then their reason for wanting to be a member of this party??In recent times FF have ben responsible for running this country into the ground just aid the personal gain of a few!When chosing a party the best repersents themselves and their principles did they decide that a party which in the last numbers of years had the likes of Bertie,CJH,the flynns,Ray burke and so many more chancers best repersented them

turgon wrote: »
    Lenihin said that Tuesday [the day when Gilmor called for JOD to resign] was a bad day for politics.

Lenihins idea of a good day for politics is when you rape the taxpayer and get away with it.
    I hate to have to break bad news to you turgon but got just got raped agian this morning for another €112k curiosity of JOD!!i hope you are ok as i know you are just recovering from a raping a few weeks ago by rody malloy....get well soon:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭Quandary

My God,

I know Irish politics has always been dirty to the core but didnt think it was this bad. Why the hell are they not making him go now??? it just boggles the mind, 99% of the country dont want this man in Irish Politics!!!

I'm from Kerry by the way, JOD and JHR are the worst of the worst & im ashamed to be affiliated with them.

• Advertisement

Quandary wrote: »
    I'm from Kerry by the way, JOD and JHR are the worst of the worst & im ashamed to be affiliated with them.

Whaddya mean the worst?

We've returned a convicted terrorist gunrunner in Kerry for a few elections now! If only Ferris screwed expenses (oh, and he's doing that too by the way, think it was €130k for him last time they checked) the country would have been a lot better off!

I think the people of ireland should march on the streets and demand that no one in the dail can earn more than €150k pa incl expenses...it seem to be the one topic that everyone is angered about (public sector,private sector )not just JOD but all parties have spent the summer (9 week holidays:eek:) trying to avoid this issue and hoping it would die down over time . we the people should demand that it is sorted once and for all that this expenses rip off is dealt with before we move onto nama, unempolyment r any other issue!!!!enda keeny seems like the man in the dail who is the most eager to brush this aside ... why is this?these gangsters are telling us that it is too complicated to arrange an vouged for a hand full of people despite that fact that every business in ireland has a person who does this on a monthly bases!this is daylight robbery from us!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's no good just capping them. That reinforces their idea that their expenses are part of their salary. You need to force receipts for everything and change the law so TDs can actually be prosecuted if they steal money from the till.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭Quandary

Whaddya mean the worst?

We've returned a convicted terrorist gunrunner in Kerry for a few elections now! If only Ferris screwed expenses (oh, and he's doing that too by the way, think it was €130k for him last time they checked) the country would have been a lot better off!

Cant disagree with you there, was just talking about worst of the worst in a cute hoorism context really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

I have never felt so angry in my life. I wouldn't go to jail for those f*ckers but I want blood. I think we need a couple of them assasinated by snipers to show our lack of faith, because the whining is doing nothing, it's really time for violence. I'm sooooo angry :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭moonbug33

In Cahirciveen it sickens me how some of the locals feel jod was treated badly- they say he was good for South Kerry, it's a very selfish attitude.
    Big difference in England when the MP's expenses scandal came out- the local MPs were highly criticised and the people let them know how they felt.

Anyone see the interview with Michael O'Shea MCC?

Laughable.

He said John (his first cousin, by the way, and the man responsible for his political career) had done nothing wrong.

Well Mike, if John did nothing wrong, why the hell did he resign then?

At least Michael Healy Rae did take a shot at his decision to resign next week, presumably because Michael himself has designs on a seat in the next election and must be laughing himself to sleep every night. Another disgrace. If these fellows run next time out I would really love a high powered rifle and a book repositary near the count centre.

moonbug33 wrote: »
    they say he was good for South Kerry, it's a very selfish attitude.

But he was.

In fairness to people who are now working in South Kerry, and who would not have been at any other time (and there are many) you don't expect them to say he brought loads of jobs to the area....but he failed to sort out crime in West Dublin.

I still think his comptency (purely at a local level granted) and his integrity keep getting confused. I live in South Kerry and I can say he was our best ever TD. But on the other hand he screwed the system and has to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,041 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Look, JOD could murder the wife and kids tomorrow and you would still
    have some defending him. Unfortunately, it's part of human nature. Strange
    and weird IMO, but to others, they can see no wrong.

BTW, I am not comparing his expenses with murder.
    I am simply saying that no matter what some folks may do, there
    will always be some willing to defend...

walshb wrote: »
    Look, JOD could murder the wife and kids tomorrow and you would still
    have some defending him.

Bit of a hysterical analogy, no?

His wrong was to screw more expenses than the TD in your constituency. That's plenty enough to have him drummed out, of course.

• Advertisement

Bit of a hysterical analogy, no?

Please read my post.

walshb wrote: »
    Please read my post.

I did.

But I read it and made my post before you edited and completely changed it, tacking on a bit stressing that you were not making any comparison!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Lenihan says we should be worrying about more important things that their expenses, well maybe we could Minister if you weren't all living the life of a fecking king.

Good God FF has some neck and the funny thing is election after election people in this country elected them, isn't amazing the way most people didn't care how the Government spent money when they had a well paid job but now that we are down and out we are demanding they quit.

I've used this quote a lot but I think it needs to be said again and again to make sure people of this State don't make the same mistake in future Generations:

"Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve" - George Bernard Shaw

We are getting what we deserve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

But he was.

In fairness to people who are now working in South Kerry, and who would not have been at any other time (and there are many) you don't expect them to say he brought loads of jobs to the area....but he failed to sort out crime in West Dublin.

I still think his comptency (purely at a local level granted) and his integrity keep getting confused. I live in South Kerry and I can say he was our best ever TD. But on the other hand he screwed the system and has to go.
    Yes all politics is local as they say. Constituents may say he was their best ever TD but how far does that go.
    Know there was a case highlighted of parents who canvassed TDS in a cork Constituency for a school building (still operating out of a "state of the art" prefab last time I heard) and the more noise they made the further down the list they went.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Stark wrote: »
    It's no good just capping them. That reinforces their idea that their expenses are part of their salary. You need to force receipts for everything and change the law so TDs can actually be prosecuted if they steal money from the till.
    They don't bother with vouching it here in Germany either because they say it's unwieldy and expensive to administer. They give all MPs a flat salary of 94k and flat expenses of 46k and if they go over, tough sh!t-it comes out of their own pocket.

It shouldn't just be about vouching stuff because they'll still eat in the finest restaurants the taxpayers' money will buy. They should cap expenses even if they go for a fully vouched system. If it is cheaper overall to administer a flat expenses amount of say 50k (like Germany) than to go checking all their receipts, then that's what they should do.

TDs who live further from Dublin will have higher transport costs but lower costs elsewhere. Maybe they should just buy/build a 3 star hotel near Dail Eireann and tell them they MUST use it when in Dublin on DAIL business.

Villain wrote: »
    Lenihan says we should be worrying about more important things that their expenses, well maybe we could Minister if you weren't all living the life of a fecking king.
    The fu**ing cheek of these cnuts. Out spending and thieving my money and then having the gall to tell me that I shouldn't be worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭markpb

murphaph wrote: »
    It shouldn't just be about vouching stuff because they'll still eat in the finest restaurants the taxpayers' money will buy. They should cap expenses even if they go for a fully vouched system. If it is cheaper overall to administer a flat expenses amount of say 50k (like Germany) than to go checking all their receipts, then that's what they should do.

This is the nub of the problem. In a few days they'll announce that a bill is before Dail which will see all expenses vouched. This won't stop ministers at all because their 5* hotels and limos around Heathrow are billed to the department (or to Horse Racing Ireland if you're JOD), not their individual expenses.

Why not ****ing ban expenses completely. I mean, if these gits can earn six figures, why
    the hell should I be subsidising them?

That freaking cash could be spent on us, the people, the economy, and whatever else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

murphaph wrote: »
    They don't bother with vouching it here in Germany either because they say it's unwieldy and expensive to administer.

That is nonsense.

I used to be the financial controller for a reasonably large company, while also looking after their HR and legal issues.

Part of my job was looking at people's expenses and giving them the thumbs up or thumbs down. It is a simple job which only takes a few seconds.

All the German government (or our government) would have to do is hire a junior accounts person for about 25k - 30k and make it their job to maintain a folder with the receipts in them and reimburse the politicians either on the spot (bank transfer to their accounts) or on a weekly/monthly basis. They would also insert the details into whatever accounting package the government uses.

It is simple and there is no excuse not to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭john-joe

Advertisement