Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John O'Donoghue and his travel spending spree

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Villain wrote: »
    Lenihan says we should be worrying about more important things that their expenses, well maybe we could Minister if you weren't all living the life of a fecking king.

A more pertinent question would be, is there any point in worrying about the things we cannot change? Not really.
    For example, the people in negative equity are now screwed for at least 15 years because of Fianna Fail, no point in worrying about that because nothing can change it.
    Luckily however, ministerial expenses can be reformed if enough angry people make their voices heard.

Besides, Its easy for them not to worry when you know you're guaranteed an annual salary of at least 6 times the average industrial wage (from 2 years ago!) and have a whopping pension waiting for you when you've bled the tax payer dry.

They are totally and utterly detached from our reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

walshb wrote: »
    Why not ****ing ban expenses completely. I mean, if these gits can earn six figures, why
    the hell should I be subsidising them?

That freaking cash could be spent on us, the people, the economy, and whatever else.

This I don't agree with.

If they have to go somewhere, for work, then I don't see the problem with it being paid for. If my boss told me that I had to, let's say, go over to England to meet a client, you can be damn sure that I will demand that he pays 100% of my travel and accommodation expenses. No matter HOW much I am earning.

The fact that the public is essentially their employer makes no difference to my feelings in the matter.

I do however (provisionally) agree with caps to expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,041 ✭✭✭✭walshb

oeb wrote: »
    This I don't agree with.

If they have to go somewhere, for work, then I don't see the problem with it being paid for. If my boss told me that I had to, let's say, go over to England to meet a client, you can be damn sure that I will demand that he pays 100% of my travel and accommodation expenses. No matter HOW much I am earning.

The fact that the public is essentially their employer makes no difference to my feelings in the matter.

I do however (provisionally) agree with caps to expenses.

Well, if we reach a happy medium, then the bare essentials I would go for and I mean bare. I suppose that is why we need a complete overhaul of the system, and th biggest damn obstacle here, like everywhere, is the legal eagles; who have it sewn up to suit them and their cronies.

We could also bring in tough penalties for those abusing the system. By tough, I don't mean just sacking, which isn't even happening now; but prosecution and jail time for offenders. This is serious and disgusting
    and we need to get tough and grow some balls.

Example: Someone flies first class when it wasn't necessary. Instant dismissal and take it
    from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I would check out are high flying minister other half and then check out one of the biggest Bank fraudster wife they are related, wonder why he is still a free man

Hootanany wrote: »
    I would check out are high flying minister other half and then check out one of the biggest Bank fraudster wife they are related, wonder why he is still a free man

Read it 3 times, still none the wiser.

Who is the high flying Minister?

Who is his other half?

What is the "biggest bank fraudster wife"? Is she bigger in size than other bank fraudster wives?

• Advertisement

Read it 3 times, still none the wiser.

Who is the high flying Minister?

Who is his other half?

What is the "biggest bank fraudster wife"? Is she bigger in size than other bank fraudster wives?

What is this thread about and who is not paying his interest on his massive loan
    Other half is wife

What is this thread about and who is not paying his interest on his massive loan
    Other half is wife

Why don't you just give us the names?

Innuendo is no defence to defamation. Justification is. So if what you're saying is true, spit it out, hioding behind things like 'his first is in jumper but not in humper' is no help!

If you're talking about John O'Donoghue's wife, I do know one thing. She comes from a Labour dynasty. So I can see why she's insist on 5 star treatment...

Yes to the first
    Nationalised bank clicking with you yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

More bull**** from FF today, with the media accused of "distorting the facts" :rolleyes: think it was Martin Cullen ?

The interviewer should have asked one straight question - "are you trying to imply that it's NOT true that J'OD spend X amount ?"

Because it certainly wasn't a case of the media lying or distorting anything! He spent the fecking money - and that, regardless of what spin the scummy FF sewer rats try to put on it - is an UNDISTORTED FACT !!!!! It was FAR TOO MUCH - FACT !!!! A lot of it was completely avoidable (limo between terminals) - FACT And some stuff that should have been a personal expense was paid for by us too - FACT

You have to wonder whether they've been lying and spinning words for so long that they've forgotten the actual meanings of them.....

As an example to show up this FF defensive bull**** for precisely what it is, read the following Tribune article and tell me what "facts" have been "distorted" :

https://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2009/oct/04/hard-hat-brass-neck-time-to-go/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Last word very interesting. One contributor says in one particular "scam" So many Councillors would share a car in course of business and then claim on the expenses. In other words mileage is such and such, they claim so many cents on the mile. Its a gravy train as they say.

• Advertisement

Yes to the first
    Nationalised bank clicking with you yet

Sorry, you bored me two posts back tbh...enjoy the game though...

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    More bull**** from FF today, with the media accused of "distorting the facts" :rolleyes: think it was Martin Cullen ?

The interviewer should have asked one straight question - "are you trying to imply that it's NOT true that J'OD spend X amount ?"

Because it certainly wasn't a case of the media lying or distorting anything! He spent the fecking money - and that, regardless of what spin the scummy FF sewer rats try to put on it - is an UNDISTORTED FACT !!!!! It was FAR TOO MUCH - FACT !!!! A lot of it was completely avoidable (limo between terminals) - FACT And some stuff that should have been a personal expense was paid for by us too - FACT

You have to wonder whether they've been lying and spinning words for so long that they've forgotten the actual meanings of them.....

As an example to show up this FF defensive bull**** for precisely what it is, read the following Tribune article and tell me what "facts" have been "distorted" :

https://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2009/oct/04/hard-hat-brass-neck-time-to-go/
    Would that be te same martin cullen who nearly fell out of a state helicopter recently because the door came off and the same martin cullen wasted €50m on E voting machines??do yourself a favour martin keep your trap shout and you might come out of this undamaged

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

But he was.

In fairness to people who are now working in South Kerry, and who would not have been at any other time (and there are many) you don't expect them to say he brought loads of jobs to the area....but he failed to sort out crime in West Dublin.

I still think his comptency (purely at a local level granted) and his integrity keep getting confused. I live in South Kerry and I can say he was our best ever TD. But on the other hand he screwed the system and has to go.

:rolleyes:

Heard that Martin Cullen sound bite. Implied that we are tarring all politicians with same brush. Thing is its not even about that. Everyone knows who the culprits are.

lukin wrote: »

Yeah.

Sorry for not being from somewhere else. You see I was one of those kids who wanted to grow up at home, and my parents picked South Kerry. Yes, I'd have been much better off hitting the road as soon as I was 2 or 3, and heading off for some place full of clever people, like Dublin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭deisedol

bonzos wrote: »
    Would that be te same martin cullen who nearly fell out of a state helicopter recently because the door came off and the same martin cullen wasted €50m on E voting machines??do yourself a favour martin keep your trap shout and you might come out of this undamaged

Cullen is defending JOD's blind robbery of the Irish people as he has the same standards. Remember he got away by the skin of his teeth about the appointment of his local election fundraiser to a government job(not needed as the dept of environment had civil servants to do that work) without the proper tendering process (qualifications for job etc). He got away with it as the so called'guidelines/systems were not in place' at that time.
    These people do not work by any ethics or basic morals- they bend the rules to suit themselves and always get away with it on technicality.
    That memorable Cullen fiasco got diverted by a slander lawsuit- the real issue faded in to the background- that issue was wasting tax payers money. The country was awash with money at that time so the mood for resignation over money wasting was not there.
    If that Cullen PR appointment Fiasco came to light during the current economic crisis then he would have to resign as well.
    TIMING is the reason he did nt have to go.
    That is why cullen is defending JOD. 'peas in a pod'

Why is cullen defending JOD. Leave that to Cowen.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If anyone can defend JOD then they are saying that what he did is alright. Martin Cullen and his ilk enjoy living off the taxpayer and will defend it to the end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭john-joe

kbannon wrote: »
    If anyone can defend JOD then they are saying that what he did is alright. Martin Cullen and his ilk enjoy living off the taxpayer and will defend it to the end!

Cannot excuse the inexcusible!:mad:

Like to see MC expenses :confused:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Lenno is at it now...
    Overhauling the expenses regime for TDs and senators won’t help solve the financial crisis, Finance Minister Brian Lenihan claimed today.

As the controversy over Ceann Comhairle John O’Donoghue’s lavish spending rumbled on the minister said people needed to focus on the real issues facing the economy.

“This country faces a very serious fiscal crisis,” Mr Lenihan said.

“The abolition of Oireachtas expenses wouldn’t solve that crisis in any degree.

“So we need to focus on the real issues facing the country.”

The Finance Minister said Oireachtas expenses were an important issue and signalled he would make the process more open.

“That will be done and it will be done in a short timeframe,” Mr Lenihan said.

It emerged today the auditor charged with overseeing the expenses system in the Oireachtas resigned complaining his proposals for reforming the system were ignored.

Yesterday Mr Lenihan denounced the forced resignation of Mr O’Donoghue as a bad day for Irish politics claiming his party colleague was not given the opportunity to explain his expenses before Labour leader Eamon Gilmore dramatically demanded he step down.

In the Dáil the Labour Party called for urgent action to overhaul the regime claiming it was affecting all members of the Oireachtas.

Roisin Shortall, social and family affairs spokeswoman, said: “Lets have action on this. We’re all being tarnished.”

Tánaiste Mary Coughlan said there would be no delay and pledged the Government would bring forward reform.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/text/ireland/eycwsneyqley/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

So Lenihan - who's supposed to be in charge of the finances of this country - doesn't see sickening, abusive OTT expenses, and living the high life on the taxpayers money as a "real issue" ?

I rest my case.

And anyone who has ever expressed confidence in this scumbag should eat their words!

Noel O'Flynn on Primetime had no bother at all making out that 40K on travel alone was okay. WTF are these toerags at? That's a decent wage for many. He is on 104K a year salary, so why the **** is he allowed 40K to "move."?

Noel O'Flynn on Primetime had no bother at all making out that 40K on travel alone was okay. WTF are these toerags at? That's a decent wage for many. He is on 104 K a year salary, so why the **** is he allowed 40 K to "move."?

See the way he tried to have a go at the journalist who dared to try seek the truth!

Shocking really, real shame that people don't take to the streets (like our friends the taxi men :rolleyes:) and demand that they answer our questions!

As for the muppets down the counrty (kerry south) defending this guy, it is quite embarrasing really......:(

Embarassing john-joe, but unfortunately, not surprising.

40K per year travel. That's about 750 Euro per week, this
    is complete bull and an absolute con and deliberate pocketing
    of other peoples money. He and others should be MADE
    explain and account for this type of thievery.

I think his phone allowance per year was 13K...

Who the **** is this prick calling?

Embarassing john-joe, but unfortunately, not surprising.

Agree.;)

40K per year travel. That's about 750 Euro per week, this
    is complete bull and an absolute con and deliberate pocketing
    of other peoples money. He and others should be MADE
    explain and account for this type of thievery.

He is a theif, no two ways about it, regardless if he was not 'breaking' any rules! Seriously the guy is a tossbag....:mad:
    I think his phone allowance per year was 13K...

Who the **** is this prick calling?

Samaratins? :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"Hail the hero" day will be taking place, The Bull has said he's standing for re-election.

mike65 wrote: »
    "Hail the hero" day will be taking place, The Bull has said he's standing for re-election.

no surprise there.....

You got a link for that?

Disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It was on the 11 am news, the words came from a FF councillor in the Kingdom, spoken with JODs blessing apparently.

• Advertisement

It was on the 11 am news, the words came from a FF councillor in the Kingdom, spoken with JODs blessing apparently.

His cousin again?

That lad can't go to the bathroom without their blessing.

Advertisement