Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John O'Donoghue and his travel spending spree

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    It'd be brilliant if it were 100% true, but isn't it pretty misleading ?

If you read the headline, it implies that "there and back" was €190....to me, "there and back" would imply that it included transport.

HOWEVER the text of the article says

I'm not having a go here, because even RyanAir probably couldn't fly you there and back for €191; it's a hell of an improvement over O'Donoghue, Gormley & Harney, but the fact is that the headline is completely misleading.

Good points - at least one tries occasionally though given the mob he's mixing with in the Dail! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

If there is one that is charging reasonably he should be worshiped TBH :D

Because otherwise the others will all be laughing at him for not ripping us off and taking advantage.

thebman wrote: »
    If there is one that is charging reasonably he should be worshiped TBH :D

Because otherwise the others will all be laughing at him for not ripping us off and taking advantage.

...Like her ladyship!

21pt02.jpg
    2e4x5cn.jpg
    2075bn6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Another disgrace anyone got a template message to send to all the TD's

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

O'Donoghue will get back in no problem at the next election. And when you ask some of the gob****es that voted for him why they did so, you'll get an answer like 'ah sure he's done great work for the constituency, he fixed that pothole on the main street, and kept the post office open for an extra few months'.

Until the Irish voters get this parish pump bollox out of their heads, we're going to be stuck with fu<kers like O'Donoghue.
    Im not for one minute defending JOD but at least he did look after the people in kerry!we have 3 td's in sligo (2ff&1fg) and they have sat on their fingers while allowing the town to get stripped of a hospital....patients are now expected to drive 2hrs for cancer treatment!!John Perry (fg)€190k expenses in the last 2 years and he is a hopeless case!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭alfranken

bonzos wrote: »
    Im not for one minute defending JOD but at least he did look after the people in kerry!we have 3 td's in sligo (2ff&1fg) and they have sat on their fingers while allowing the town to get stripped of a hospital....patients are now expected to drive 2hrs for cancer treatment!!John Perry (fg)€190k expenses in the last 2 years and he is a hopeless case!

That's the attitude that created the basket case of irish politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

deadhead13 wrote: »
    In todays Sunday Tribune - Mary Harneys use of the Government jet over a 3 year period, while Minister for Health, cost the taxpayer 735,000 euros.

How else was she gonna get hitched ! fancy a state directorship and free trips around the world in my sorry the govs private jet, and sure when its all finished we will just live on my multi million Euro defined benefit pension provided at all the lovely tax payers expense . Jasus Id probably have considered it myself !:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Biggins wrote: »
    Good points - at least one tries occasionally though given the mob he's mixing with in the Dail! :)

Agreed, and he's not responsible for the newspaper making a mistake.

Fair play to him if he's making an effort, but it is curious as to whether the headline is a mistake or a spin; especially since there is no mention of transport and the article explicitly says "excluding Government jet".

Maybe the info wasn't available (in which case the only fault is the newspapers) but it's a little unfair not to compare like with like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Agreed, and he's not responsible for the newspaper making a mistake.

Fair play to him if he's making an effort, but it is curious as to whether the headline is a mistake or a spin; especially since there is no mention of transport and the article explicitly says "excluding Government jet".

Maybe the info wasn't available (in which case the only fault is the newspapers) but it's a little unfair not to compare like with like.

Read his Wiki page:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermot_Ahern

It does make him seem like a man with morales TBH. Will add questionable stuff on there too :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Re the Gormley article.....is there no train from Holyhead to London ?

Or are we SERIOUSLY expected to believe that a crowd organising a conference on "climate change" send individual limos a 14 hour round trip to pick up each of maybe 100 delegates ?
    Im still getting my head round fact it costs £500 to be ferried between terminals at Heathrow. Do you think we would get away with pulling off that stunt with a British minister. Although I am aware they are in the middle of their own expenses scandal at the moment.
    But re our own ministers, Its unbelievable that these "trips" are not priced in advance. Tough decisions my A**e!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

bonzos wrote: »

double-facepalm.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

double-facepalm.jpg

Did you edit in the main offenders name in the caption, or was it already there ? ;)

Has he gone yet

Did you edit in the main offenders name in the caption, or was it already there ? ;)

Touché. It took me quite a while to get that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Newstalk's asking should politicians pay back expenses like what's happening in the UK, David Cameron says they should all repay expenses or they won't be able stand for election again.

I'd like to see a lot of the indulgent expenses repaid!

• Registered Users Posts: 56,039 ✭✭✭✭walshb

funkyflea wrote: »
    Newstalk's asking should politicians pay back expenses like what's happening in the UK, David Cameron says they should all repay expenses or they won't be able stand for election again.

They have "some" standards, we have none.

Maybe all the repaid money could be used to pay for the water income
    they are now trying to get from us.

funkyflea wrote: »

They are clearly trying to make it hard enough just to get the information about their expenses, stalling, charging stupid prices, non-compliance , etc.

Getting refunds from our lot then will be like getting blood from a stone.
    We will just have to try harder to get them to crack! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DirksDiggler

Jesus Christ almighty, this bastard has some neck!

What a speech one would nearly feel sorry for him NOT !

Seems all these claims expenses were wrong. Ah sure, no harm done then :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Darsad wrote: »
    What a speech one would nearly feel sorry for him NOT !

I was thinking the same, i feel bad for calling for his head. Good speech in fairness to him.

Well so long John!

edit

scratch that, i almost feel bad!!

Good riddance. Mind the door doesn't smack you on the arse on your way out.

Till the next elections are held anyway.

The man is deluded he is claiming to have single handedly brought about an increase in tourists !

He's stubborn to the last - not surprised. Trying to detract attention from the expenses scandal, it's not going to work John.

It will stain your career.

He's certainly proud of himself :D

Bloody criminal.

Bet he gets clapped out of the house.

So long John on yer bike Shoo Shoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

He is shooting himself in the foot .......... with a machine gun.
    He thinks he was hard done by. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    His nickname "The Bull" is well merited. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭niffle

OMG the drama of it all I cannot believe what I am hearing Defiant to the end or what

• Advertisement

Did not deserve that clapping, I can't believe this he's going out as some kind of martyr! :mad:

Advertisement