Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John O'Donoghue and his travel spending spree

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I think it's time for 166 of them!!!

Actually, I'd say 167, just in case, but I don't really want to take advantage of the fact that a certain contributor is away for a few days! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Remember that we are talking about a system in which the then Minister for Finance (a later Taoiseach) saw nothing wrong with signing blank cheques for €25,000 which later ended up in the then Taoiseach's account.

As I've said elsewhere, you'd forgive a local treasurer doing that for a few €50 cheques, or a book-keeper in a small company, but a Minister for Finance ?

And the same character is heralded today and suggested for President. :rolleyes:

So I wouldn't hold my breath on any reform - or even genuine will to reform - and correct the corruption any time soon.

In fairness, I think they are so far removed from the ordinary worker they don't realise the anger, I don't think even the press realise it.

If Bertie ran for president, I'd be surprised if he got many votes. You know certain areas would vote for him but I think overall people have turned on Bertie. I know my parents thought he was honest and I remember father saying that he had always thought he was one of the good ones when all his dodgy dealings were coming to light and being genuinely shocked at what he was at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

I never heard such hor*e**** in all my life.

I only watched bits of it but he is such a self santimonious g*b****e in all the clips I watched.

He went on about the excesses of the press? - what about yours JOD?
    Not wanting to get involved in unseemly politcal debate? - no apology then?
    How he put his expenses in on the day of the lisbon vote as an almost patriotic act? - patriotic to yourself?

AT that point I could take no more. I cut to that last few minutes to see the clapping and more b*llsh*t from the bull.

That was truly unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poor JOD was wronged FFS
    How stupid do they think we are.
    thebman wrote: »
    In fairness, I think they are so far removed from the ordinary worker they don't realise the anger, I don't think even the press realise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Ken Fox of the tribune should be awarded roddy molloys golden hand shake and car as a big thank you from the irish people for the work he done on this story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

More of the same absolute rubbish, "I didn't know, I was not aware, I only spent 300 Euro on a hotel room for one night"....

He genuinely is deluded to the point where he think's the Irish racing industry would not survive if he wasn't seen at a race meeting.

Even his accent is contaminated with the sway of entitlement and is painted in profound arrogance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Agree completly with Darragh29 above - I feel physically sick after listening to his 'speech'

Not a mention of his wife
    Not a mention of his requesting invites from his French counterparts that happened to co-incide with race meetings
    Not a mention of the limo between Heathrow Terminals
    Not a mention of a tip to the Indians for carrying the luggage, just some bulls**t about tipping culture in the US
    Not a mention of having the Jet commendeared for days while he whisked between Kerry, Dublin & Various parts of France
    Not a mention of his chaffeur driven car driving from Dublin to Kerry to pick him up off his flight from Dublin to Kerry!!

The man is clearly deluded and an embarrasment to our country. Seriously, the sense of entitlement that some (alot) of Irish Politicans seem to have is astounding..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

If ever you wondered how big the reality gap is between the goverment and the people of this country look no further than that speech today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

When do we start protesting this?

This shouldn't be over until the money is paid back. Same stuff happened in the UK but on a generally much smaller scale, and even they were forced to pay back the money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Jugs82 wrote: »
    Agree completly with Darragh29 above - I feel physically sick after listening to his 'speech'

Not a mention of his wife
    Not a mention of his requesting invites from his French counterparts that happened to co-incide with race meetings
    Not a mention of the limo between Heathrow Terminals
    Not a mention of a tip to the Indians for carrying the luggage, just some bulls**t about tipping culture in the US
    Not a mention of having the Jet commendeared for days while he whisked between Kerry, Dublin & Various parts of France
    Not a mention of his chaffeur driven car driving from Dublin to Kerry to pick him up off his flight from Dublin to Kerry!!

The man is clearly deluded and an embarrasment to our country. Seriously, the sense of entitlement that some (alot) of Irish Politicans seem to have is astounding..

In fairness he thanked his wife :pac:

You'd swear he was dead or dying or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Neither the media or Eamon Gilmore caused John O'Donoghue resignation, his own behavior over a 7 year period did. If today's 30 minutes of self-serving drival was an example of the defence he is complaining about not being able to put forward last week, then he hadn't a leg to stand on. What a gobshite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Neither the media or Eamon Gilmore caused John O'Donoghue resignation, his own behavior over a 7 year period did. If today's 30 minutes of self-serving drival was an example of the defense his is complaining about not being able to put forward last week, then he hadn't a leg to stand on. What a gobshite.

I watched the RTE six o'clock news and the reporters said it was an excellent speech (I paraphrase) by a trained lawyer. To me it looked like a temper tantrum from a kindergarten pupil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Lorcan 17

There is no doubt that these people see themselves differently then the public do . You often hear them saying if you want the top people you have to pay the top money . We see them as sliveens and chances -they see themselves as leaders . To me Willie O'Dea is a comic figure but he sees himself as a political LEADER. Hear Hanniffin spouting the same stuff on radio yesterday . A lot of people though are easily misled . Miss Cooper Flynn gets elected . Michael Lowry likewise . O'Donoghue will top the poll in the next election . People vote for Martin Cullen . The list goes on .

• Registered Users Posts: 56,038 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I haven't yet heard the speech, but was told it was about 20 to 30 mins long?

That's about 15-25 mins too bloody long. The guy was caught red handed with his hand in the pockets of every taxpayer in this country. He's an out and out disgrace and to have to listen to the man try and worm his way out of it would make my blood boil; and then watching the vast majority of the rest of them indulging in it. Shower of damn scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

I've only started reading the politics forum since Lisbon came about to get some idea about what was going on and kept reading these threads.

One thing that strikes me is the attitude of "nothing's gonna change" which seems a bit llike snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. As someone else said earlier in the thread - "Who's next?" Fair play.

It's a small victory and can (and should) be built on, I thought the template letter and list of email addresses was a great idea.

The defeatist attitude reminds me of the Frankie Boyle joke. About John Logi Baird being congratulated for inventing the television - "Aye, but there's fúck all on...."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

walshb wrote: »
    ...The guy was caught red handed with his hand in the pockets of every taxpayer in this country. He's an out and out disgrace and to have to listen to the man try and worm his way out of it would make my blood boil; and then watching the vast majority of the rest of them indulging in it. Shower of damn scumbags.

No argument there. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

It is amazes me how the likes of Cowen, Bertie and O Donoghue can never get a suit that fits them.
    Why is it that Kenny and Gilmore look better in their suits?

It is amazes me how the likes of Cowen, Bertie and O Donoghue can never get a suit that fits them.
    Why is it that Kenny and Gilmore look better in their suits?

Jaysus, if they could do their feckin' jobs I wouldn't care if they turned up naked!

Fiddles, payoffs, bailouts, corruption, lies and condoning, and you're worried about what they're wearing ?????? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Jugs82 wrote: »
    He sounded like that Dev parody on the radio ad for 11811...voice intonation full of trembling indignation.

Even so, I don't think people realise what an historic president this marks for Irish politics.

One down, more work to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭Quandary

Lets just hope the press keep the focus on the expense abuse & move on to Harney now. We know that a lot of politicians have abused the expenses system, if we cant get them all ousted then the ones that are exposed should be made an example of - preferably not a chq for 112K and an ovation but hey, that seems to be how the corrupt are punished in this country :rolleyes:

It leaves a bitter bitter taste in the mouth doesnt it....

Jaysus, if they could do their feckin' jobs I wouldn't care if they turned up naked!

Fiddles, payoffs, bailouts, corruption, lies and condoning, and you're worried about what they're wearing ?????? :eek:
    My point being is that the reason they dont fit into their suits is that perhaps they are living too well.
    Appearance matters!

• Advertisement

He sounded like that Dev parody on the radio ad for 11811...voice intonation full of trembling indignation.

Even so, I don't think people realise what an historic president this marks for Irish politics.

One down, more work to do.

There is a tiny element of this that feels wrong; I'd reckon that he does genuinely think that he did nothing wrong, and the reason for this is that he was the only one of many doing the same thing that was made resign - there's probably 10 or 20 at the very least that should follow, and in that sense I'm wondering if we should have somehow held off until all of the details of Harney and a few others, and then hit them all simultaneously.

That way, they wouldn't have been able to play the "martyr" card.

But yeah - listening to O'Donoghue waffle on about what he viewed as his entitlement and the bull**** that it was only now, in recession, that "ye can't be doing that lads" needs to apply, was sickening.

Basically, "we're broke now, so we might need some reform"

Half the REASON we're broke is because the scumbags DIDN'T introduce reform back when they should have, and milked us drier than a 190 year old spinster ! :mad: :mad:

My point being is that the reason they dont fit into their suits is that perhaps they are living too well.
    Appearance matters!

Ethics first, ability next, and THEN maybe "appearance".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Just read his resignation statement here.

He really seems shocked that he has been blamed for claiming ridiculous expenses even though they were within his "entitlements". That's the part that worries me. I'll agree that the expenses system is excessive in its limits and that other ministers probably claim as much as him. But just say because he's allowed to claim 10 million in expenses does he not see that it's still wrong to do so when so many Irish people are losing their jobs and struggling to pay their bills?

I think it's also discraceful how the other members of the Dáil applauded his speech. I'm sure it's becuase they know themselves that they are just as guilty as he is when it comes to expenses.

But poor John. He's been made a scapegoat and has to settle for a handy job that only pays 100 grand a year. I really feel sorry for him. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I still think that blame here ultimately has to fall with us here, and I include myself in that criticism...

Whatever about putting a saddle on the taxpayer, to come out in that way and try to defend yourself and to further attempt to lay claim to an absolute and unwavering entitlement to such extravagant spending on your behalf, this points to a problem with the rest of us I think...

We tolerate this, we continue to tolerate it, so why we're all acting surprised, I'm not too sure. After the anger of it all, I feel we are the problem for allowing this to happen and a resignation doesn't cut it im my view, money has to be repaid and the man should be hounded until it is repaid.

We should look back to the criminal justice system of Ireland in the early 1800's to see how the law worked in this regard. Take the two Kearney brothers and their father who were hung at Old Bawn beside Tallaght around the middle of the 1800's... The community had to pay for the trial and the execution of the sentence, (errection of scaffold, payment of executioner, etc), and taxes were collected from the locality to pay for the crime.

Maybe if JOD's local county council had to make the repayments to the state for his outrageous lifestyle, and in turn the local constituents ultimately had to pay for the wrong, then they would think twice about electing the likes of him to public office on the next occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

There is a tiny element of this that feels wrong; I'd reckon that he does genuinely think that he did nothing wrong, and the reason for this is that he was the only one of many doing the same thing that was made resign - there's probably 10 or 20 at the very least that should follow, and in that sense I'm wondering if we should have somehow held off until all of the details of Harney and a few others, and then hit them all simultaneously.

That way, they wouldn't have been able to play the "martyr" card.
    I disagree Liam. I think the meeja have got it spot on-focus all the wrath on one man first and get him to resign and then expose the rest in turn. If they'd exposed them all there would have been 'safety in numbers'.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,038 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He really seems shocked that he has been blamed for claiming ridiculous expenses even though they were within his entitlements. :

No matter what way one spins it or what legal technicality or jargon or bull that is spun, he and the other rags were never entitled to that. Making something "legal," doesn't mean it is right, and bear in mind the persons who make the laws regarding this. It's a click, a bent click and it's rolling on regardless. He and others will no dount try to hide behind the, "It was legal and I did nothing wrong," it proves nothing and only shows me what low lifes we are dealing with. Thieves.

BTW, jonny, I know you are not condoning it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

walshb wrote: »
    No matter what way one spins it or what legal technicality or jargon or bull that is spun, he and the other rags were never entitled to that. Making something "legal," doesn't mean it is right, and bear in mind the persons who make the laws regarding this. It's a click, a bent click and it's rolling on regardless. He and others will no dount try to hide behind the, "It was legal and I did nothing wrong," it proves nothing and only shows me what low lifes we are dealing with. Thieves.

BTW, jonny, I know you are not condoning it

Of course I'm not condoning it. I agree with you, that's my whole point. He doesn't see the whole system as corrupt and that's why he believes he is not at fault. It shows a man so disconnected with reality, a Dáil, by applauding him, also so disconnected with reality you can see why the country is in such a bad state with such a disgrace of a government and opposition.

murphaph wrote: »
    I disagree Liam. I think the meeja have got it spot on-focus all the wrath on one man first and get him to resign and then expose the rest in turn. If they'd exposed them all there would have been 'safety in numbers'.

That's a fair point, murphaph; but I presume you can see where I'm coming from - he's whinging about being victimised, and that is partially true (even if the half an hour of bull**** completely avoided the reasons he was kicked out asked to resign.

Ideally, we'd be able to march on the Dail and fire the while ****ing lot of them in one go, because as far as I could see, nearly all of them clapped the prick today - including, to my astonishment, Gilmore.

Did anyone see any of them not clapping ?

And does anyone know if our great "economic saviour", George Lee, clapped ? If so, he should be ashamed of himself having become a member of the old boys club so quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Just read his resignation statement here.

When reading that speech what struck me was the overuse of "I". There were 3,985 words of which 141 were "I" (thanks Microsoft Word). Highlighting the "I"s in the speech made it obvious that that part of the speech was written by the Ceann Comhairle, the centre of his universe.

Two large sections of the speech had no "I"s in it.

Section 1 ..... 202 words
    From "In fact, a perusal of the records demonstrates that ....."
    To "..... when personal costs on the bill were charged to me the charitable sum was omitted."

Section 2 ..... 353 words
    From "It would be impossible for me to list all of the achievements of my department during my tenure ....."
    To "..... such as security and proximity to the venues for conferences or meetings."

Did someone else write those sections, Brian? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yes two words he used a lot in that speech. I and Im Proud. Great political speeches. I dont think so.
    To paraphrase Dev
    "It is my considered opinion that in the fullness of time, history will record the greatness of O'Donoghue and it will be at the taxpayers expense"

Advertisement