Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John O'Donoghue and his travel spending spree

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

jmayo wrote: »
    Well two notable connections to the racing world retired this week.

Sea The Stars has retired, probably to stud.
    He gave the racing world joy, brought honour and glory to his owners, his trainers, his jockey, the Irish horse racing industry and indeed the country by winning 6 Group 1 races in a season including the Derby, the 2,000 Guineas and lastly the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe.
    Sea The Stars was a class act, probably a one off that we may never see the like of again.
    His progeny will be worth millions and many hope may inherit some of their fathers ability.
    We have to wait and see.
    And lastly he provides a useful by product often used in mushroom growing.

On the other hand John "the bull" O'Donoghue retired, well actually resigned belately after being politely pushed, from his position as Ceann Comhairle of Dáil Eireann.
    Even though he did visit many racecourses over the last number of years courtesy of us the Irish taxpayers, I can't say he ever brought us the highs and the glory that Sea The Stars graced us with.
    O'Donoghue lived a classy lifestyle courtesy of the Irish taxpayer, but the words class act can rarely be used with reference to him.
    We have yet to see what the progeny (two sons and one daughter) of O'Donoghue bring the world of racing or politics.
    One or other will probably follow in their daddy's footsteps as is the norm, but here's hoping they don't inherit their daddy's fondness for spending other people's money on their own lavish lifestyles.

Oh and lastly AFAIK the by product of the Bulls utterances on his spending is rarely used in mushroom growing.

Maybe not for mushrooms, but we got fed a lot of it, and were kept in the dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

oeb wrote: »
    Not everyone here in Kerry South votes FF =)

Well there was absolutely no shortage of people from his constituency supporting him on the news last week. That's the whole problem with Ireland, "fu*k you Jack, I'm doin' grand"...

I suggested a few posts back that his constituency should be hit to repay to the taxpayer his extravagance. It might sharpen and concentrate minds come the next general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DirksDiggler

walshb wrote: »
    The Daily Star seems to be all for John today.

Pretty shocked that The Star took that line. Very hypocritical in my opinion considering the tongue lashings the government receives from it on an almost daily basis.

At the very least I though Terry McGeehan would have torn strips off O' Donoghue and his self pitying speech, but he was nowhere to be seen today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

They just want controversy, they couldn't give a crap which side they are on.

A great sign that you shouldn't read the rag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

fair play to O Caoilean for taking the Bull to task for his shameful electioneering in dail yesterday.
    We did not need to know about what he was proud of. Its what we pay him to do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Yes two words he used a lot in that speech. I and Im Proud. Great political speeches. I dont think so.
    To paraphrase Dev
    "It is my considered opinion that in the fullness of time, history will record the greatness of O'Donoghue and it will be at the taxpayers expense"

Who the **** does JOD think he is? John B Keane or something

Poetic talk does not take from the cold brutal facts. He's a crook, a crook and nothing but a crook.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Who the **** does JOD think he is? John B Keane or something

Poetic talk does not take from the cold brutal facts. He's a crook, a crook and nothing but a crook.

He thinks he's another "Bertie" - a crap writer at writing fiction!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Biggins wrote: »
    He thinks he's another "Bertie" - a crap writer at writing fiction!
    I dunno Biggins, Bertie was pretty handy at making it up as he went along.

Will the Bull be like staring down Gilmore in the Dail chambers from now on. Will be curious to see how labour do in South Kerry!

They're all mates in there despite the show for the public. Gilmore will have said to him in the corridor that he was going to do it beforehand and they all know it's a game of "fool the public". Even now they are being careful not to rattle him too much-Joan Burton on Primetime last night being a prime example. Every party knows it has 'liabilities' like the Bull with exceptionally high expenses so they're all keeping relatively schtum over it, even now.

Hopefully Harney will be forced out too but unless the electorate in Dublin Mid West (my home constituency) boot her out it won't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Trotter wrote: »
    Is anyone else completely bemused and disgusted by this woman's 2 fingered standing ovation for JOD? It just goes to confirm how rotten our government and Dáil is. I've sent all the emails to TDs, and given out about it all, but ya know what? It doesnt change. Its a system designed to remove the top echelon away from the plebs and her little ovation was a salute to the great and the good who attend race meetings, living a life of opulence, all on the back of the taxpayers pocket.

I give up. They'll do what they want because 90% of Irish people couldnt care less.

Let them eat cake.

One of the radio stations reported that Ms Flynn tried to start off a standing ovation for him, but that nobody joined in. That's about the only shred of comfort I can draw from the whole thing. Having her as an admirer certainly says a lot about the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Quandary wrote: »
    Someone made an interesting suggestion in this thread about the people of his constituency being taxed in order to get back what he stole from the country. His south Kerry blinkered die hard supporters might think twice before voting him again in if they have to pay directly for his lavish lifestyle!

Its a great idea but that will probably just reinforce the 'us against them' mentality that many have in Kerry. There is countless numbers of complete idiots country wide, and im sure Kerry has a good portion of them. John could go to all the houses in his contituency, spit in their faces and he would probably still get elected. We, as a country, on the most part, are incredibly stupid, as shown by many of the 166 representatives we have now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

drBill wrote: »
    One of the radio stations reported that Ms Flynn tried to start off a standing ovation for him, but that nobody joined in. That's about the only shred of comfort I can draw from the whole thing. Having her as an admirer certainly says a lot about the man.
    Beverley Flynn the(not-so-cute) hoor, giving O'Donoghue a standing ovation - need we say anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭freewheeler

drBill wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more drBill..the unfortunate thing is that you are correct 90% of people seemingly dont care and thats why we have to suffer the likes of O'Donoghue,Flynn et al.Maybe someday in a brave new world the cave-dwellers who vote for the likes of these people will see them for what they are and care enough to do something about it...i doubt it though if the interviews with his constituents are anything to go by,Seriously folks you should maybe read the occasional newspaper and try to keep abreast of the strokes that your heroes are pulling on an almost daily basis now and if you decide that this type of behaviour is acceptable from our elected representatives then you truly deserve what you get! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

We, as a country, on the most part, are incredibly stupid, as shown by many of the 166 representatives we have now.

We as a country are choosing 166 representatives in an exercise of chosing between dumb and dumber. The political system is warped in a way that the cute hoors run it to suit themselves. Its a closed shop which doesnt want anyone who wont play by the rules of local and party politics. These rules are not on a handbook or in a stone tablet. These are the sleevin rules passed on by oral traditions and 'understandings'. Why do so many politicians come from a small few professions and from a few families.

The few young people I know going into local politics for example are doing so for the benefit of themselves and their friends and families. Handy to have a brother who is a councillor when you are buying a big property in the middle of a town to stick units on (well it was a year or two ago) or you need some information about where a road is going to be built or rezoning etc etc...you know that kinda thing. !!

"The system is F7cked, its gotta be corrected" as I heard many moons ago in one of those auld rap songs in the LA.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

dodgyme wrote: »
    We as a country are choosing 166 representatives in an exercise of chosing between dumb and dumber. The political system is warped in a way that the cute hoors run it to suit themselves. Its a closed shop which doesnt want anyone who wont play by the rules of local and party politics.
    You mean like the Willie O'Dea €46,000 paid to party activists to give out Willie O'Dea leaflets with taxpayer money allocated for secretarial services debacle that didn't get half enough press coverage?

Limerick Independent story
    Irish Daily Mail part 1 (yes, I know but this is where the stopped clock is right)
    Irish Daily Mail part 2
    Irish Daily Mail part 3
    Clare Champion story with a bit about Tony Killeen's 30 grand as well

Make a list, check it twice. Maybe the bould Willie should get his own thread.

Deliver your own leaflets Willie!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/tipping-on-taxpayers-behalf-posed-no-dilemmas-for-bull-1914054.html
    wrote:
    IT'S the great Irish social dilemma -- whether or not to leave a tip. Do we leave a gratuity, and if so, how much? The former Ceann Comhairle was in no doubt. He made up his mind on behalf of taxpayers everywhere.

Mr O'Donoghue and his deputy, the Leas Ceann Comhairle, lived it up in the capital's exclusive Shanahan's on the Green on Wednesday, July 4, 2007.

It was a late evening meal just between the two of them. And Brendan Howlin, the Leas Ceann Comhairle, said recently that if he had known how much it was going to cost, he would have enjoyed it more.

He has since indicated that this was a flippant comment, not intended to reflect on his departed boss.

But the Irish Independent has seen the submitted receipt -- and it shows that John O'Donoghue reclaimed from the taxpayer a 15pc tip that he added to the final bill.

The tab at table 24, for a couple of starters, some main courses, desserts and refreshments, came to €255 exactly.

In other words, the two officers of the Dail got through comestibles of €127.50 each, legends of the late evening.

Mr O'Donoghue then produced his personal VISA card to settle up. And a tip of exactly 15pc was added -- at €38.25.

This extra act of generosity on the part of the taxpayer took the bill to €293.25. It was paid at 11 minutes to midnight -- despite descriptions of the encounter as a "working" meal.

All of the bill was reclaimed and repaid to Mr O'Donoghue by the Exchequer.

Shanahan's on the Green does not include service charge on small groups, leaving it a matter of discretion for guests -- a policy stated on the restaurant website. It does however charge a 15pc service charge for parties of six and more.

In his departure speech, the former Ceann Comhairle suggested that tips were the norm in some other jurisdictions. He gave no hint of routinely adding generous tips in Ireland -- where the size of the tip at Shanahan's would of itself be sufficient for a modest lunch for two in Dublin city centre.

Mr O'Donoghue said: "It has been suggested that I paid €520, and other amounts, in tips to limousine drivers/taxis. This is simply untrue.

"In certain countries, (like) the USA, a gratuity is automatically added. In the case of a trip to the United States a gratuity, at a level of 20pc, was added. The bill was processed through the consul in New York, and recouped from the department.

"A similar process applied to other jurisdictions. I did not pay €520 by way of a tip. The tipping arrangement is a standard procedure which was followed on these occasions."

Mr O'Donoghue was referring obliquely in the latter reference to a €80 tip for "Indians" to transfer baggage on one of his trips abroad. But there were no lackeys or civil servants involved when John O'Donoghue and Brendan Howlin took themselves off to Shanahan's.

A spokesman for the Houses of the Oireachtas yesterday doubted there was any official policy on whether officeholders should leave tips in Ireland.

It may now be addressed in the promised new regime to be presented shortly by the Department of Finance, sources said.

The meal cost almost €90 more than an unemployed "jobseeker" receives per week.

Mr Howlin told a local newspaper: "He (John O'Donoghue) invited me to dinner to go through how we would work together. I didn't know where we were going. We went to a restaurant he had booked. We went in his car. I haven't a clue what it cost."

He added: "I was the guest. I'm not fixated on a dinner I had two years ago ... I'm sure he ordered a nice bottle of wine. We didn't have champagne. If I'd known it had cost that much I'd have relished it more."

The two men had been elected to their respective positions for just over a fortnight at the time.
    A "working" dinner in Shanahans :eek: FFS!

JOD - Select random TD and head off to shanahans, give restaurant a 15% tip for no apparent reason other than you dont have to pay for it, charge it back on expenses. Note it down on your expenses as "work" and hey presto you get reimbursed! BRILLIANT!

What a bin !

As if that bludger Howlin didn't know exactly how expensive Shanahans is. And he knew well it was all on the taxpayer. Unbelievable that they still think we're that stupid! "I didn't know"-bullsh!t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Ah yes John......the "zero tolerance" that you promised a few years back has finally started, and unfortunately for you, we've just discovered why you didn't implement it after all......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Anyone get a response to the emails? Shock horror I didn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

yop wrote: »
    Anyone get a response to the emails? Shock horror I didn't!

emails to their TD?

I did get initial responses saying they would come back with answers....I followed up with them a few days ago and they are "looking into it" :rolleyes:

I am going to ask my local paper to do an FOI into their expenses, but I doubt if their editor will have the appetite for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

juuge wrote: »
    Beverley Flynn the(not-so-cute) hoor, giving O'Donoghue a standing ovation - need we say anymore!

That woman says so much about the state of politics in this country. Have a read about both her and her father on Wikipedia and ask yourself how she gets returned by the electorate. The family have been over 30 years in politics and they have sod all to show for it other than an innate ability to look after themselves.

We are very lucky to live in a beautiful county with it's superb mountains, lakes and it's rugged coastline. For me, this is the real Ireland. People like Beverley Flynn and JOB are merely grotesque ugly blots on the landscape - get them all into Leinster House and lock the doores, they are welcome to each other. </anger>

paulocon wrote: »
    The family have been over 30 years in politics and they have sod all to show for it other than an innate ability to look after themselves.

Pee was credited with getting roads for castlebar in the late 80's that would have been too big for galway at the time. Also new offices for different county services etc. Certainly he had a big influence but not as much as is made out at times either. Bev nearly split castlebar FF on many occassions trying to hold onto the inheritence of family politics in Ireland. She is living off the name but is very able.

Problem is, is that Pee was involved in corruption that the country suffered badly for e.g toll bridge, which has cost us all alot of money. Bev is able but it is not good enough to take money like she did for being an independent when she was back in FF and losing the case against rte.These people regardless should not be tolerated anymore by local cronies or by the parties but they will be and there is nothing we can do about it. They are the cancer at the centre of irish political life and overall are a liability to the country. Hopfully the people of south kerry and mayo are not stupid enough to keep voting them in. Perhaps (now I know this might sound mad) my message to mayo and kerry is maybe someone who isnt corrupt may represent you well enough

Is it true that they are going to make a sequel to brewsters millions. You know the one where richard pryor has to spend bucket loads of cash within a required length of time.

Aparently this time the sequel is going to be called "Bullsters millions" and will make they original "brewsters millions" look like a work of fiction ..err which it was.!!...... You know I heard that sometimes fact is stranger then fiction.

Aparently in part of the subplot the disgraced Ceann Cor.. JOD is going to play a limo driver (with specially made big hat for his big head) who is working for peanuts until some luny irish politician gets in the back and only wants to be dropped around the corner in heathrow but gives him a tip that transforms his life. He uses the tip to buy a racehorse (sea of the something or other)from a HK business man. Later he sells a share to an irish profressor called drumm who has just got a 70k bonus and he doesnt know what to do with it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

It will be interesting to see if the tribune unload on him tomorrow after that BS speech on tuesday:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Well did they say anything The Tribune is it online

Gene Kerrigan has a thing about it in his soapbox column. Cartoon is very funny

• Registered Users Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Interesting letter from O'Dongoghueland highlighted here in today's Sunday Tribune when he started getting into paranoid territory about leaks he thought were going on in his former department (well, the letter said "effectively leaked" but there's one word redundant in that phrase).

Advertisement