Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John O'Donoghue and his travel spending spree

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

This is shocking

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/the-bull-spent-83643k-on-hotel-room-at-poverty-conference-1874623.html

Surely these revelations about his lavish expenses in his current position at a poverty conference mean he must resign and not simply to the back benches but as a TD also. This is largesse more in keeping with the Bull Mugabe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Darsad wrote: »
    This is shocking

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/the-bull-spent-83643k-on-hotel-room-at-poverty-conference-1874623.html

Surely these revelations about his lavish expenses in his current position at a poverty conference mean he must resign and not simply to the back benches but as a TD also. This is largesse more in keeping with the Bull Mugabe

The Bull? Fcuk that - looks like Ireland has a new Queen.

The Bull spent €3k on hotel room at poverty conference

CEANN Comhairle John O'Donoghue managed to run up a hotel bill nearly three times larger than his Oireachtas' colleagues while on a junket to South Africa last year.

O'Donoghue - known as 'the Bull' - was one of eight representatives who enjoyed the luxury surroundings of a five-star Cape Town hotel in April 2008.

However, while the seven cross party TDs and Senators kept their five-night hotel bills in the region of €1,200, Mr O'Donoghue's bill exceeded €3,000.

Ironically, the hugely expensive junket -- which cost taxpayers €64,000 -- was undertaken so that Oireachtas' members could attend a conference on poverty.

The Herald previously revealed how Mr O'Donoghue and his charges travelled to South Africa where they stayed at the five-star Westin Grand Cape Town Arabella Quay hotel.

Luxuries

The average cost per head including flights was €7,990, but a breakdown of costs obtained under the Freedom of Information Act shows that Mr O'Donoghue's was the most expensive at €9,047.

The reason for this was that while other travellers were paying an average of €1,220 for their hotel stay, the Ceann Comhairle had the taxpayer splash out €3,092 for his extra luxuries.

The bill will add further fuel to the outrage about Mr O'Donoghue's lavish spending, while on State-sponsored trips.

He has already come under fire for his use of public money while serving as Minister for Arts, Sports and Tourism.

However this is the first time that his expenditure as Ceann Comhairle has been called into question. The Herald queried the varying prices, but at the time of going to print a spokesperson for the Houses of the Oireachtas Commission was unable to solve the puzzle.

The Pushing Back The Frontiers Of Poverty conference looked at migrant rights, human rights, climate change and the situation in Gaza.

The hotel provided the Irish delegation with an all-white "Heavenly Bed", custom-designed pillow-top mattress set, a cosy down blanket, crisp sheets, comforter, duvet and plush pillows.

The bathrooms had under-floor heating and "Heavenly Showers" boasting double shower heads, extra-wide jet radius, and various spray settings.

It was situated at the entrance to the historic Victoria & Alfred Waterfront and was within easy walking distance of Cape Town's most popular attractions. Other trips undertaken by Mr O'Donoghue last year included engagements in Berlin, Weimar, Washington, Houston, New Orleans, Cape Town, Paris and Toulouse.

Revelations

The Kerry TD has been embroiled in controversy for most of the summer as seemingly endless revelations about his travel habits emerged.

It was also confirmed this week that the embattled Dail chief has received nearly €330,000 in allowances and expenses on top of his basic TD salary since his appointment as Ceann Comhairle.

A number of public representatives have now called for a full explanation, with Fine Gael Senator Paschal Donohoe telling the Herald: "Our Oireachtas is now led by a man who is -- literally -- a waster."

€9k on a trip to a poverty conference is sickening.

Of course, we shouldn't take our eye off the ball. The €7,900k average spend by the others is pretty sickening too. And while the difference in hotel bills is a disturbing €2k, as the difference in overall bills is just €1k - does it suggest that they stayed in worse surroundings but lived it up a little more at the poverty conference?

Who are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The radio this morning has been full of expenses stories and a few TDs/Senators justifying thier own swags. It seems that after a dismal quiet start this story is finally getting some legs.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0902/1224253665548.html
    CEANN COMHAIRLE John O’Donoghue is to break his silence on the controversy surrounding his foreign travel arrangements and expenses bill in his previous role as a Government minister before the Dáil resumes later this month.

Mr O’Donoghue intends to make a written statement on the matter to TDs and Senators that will be available before September 16th, when the Dáil returns to begin the debate on the legislation establishing the National Asset Management Agency.

A spokesman for the Oireachtas confirmed this yesterday. “The Ceann Comhairle will clarify the matter for his colleagues in advance of the resumption of the Dáil,” said the spokesman.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

Raiser wrote: »

The Bull? Fcuk that - looks like Ireland has a new Queen.

I'm f*cking livid after reading that! Is that where my money is going?? Who votes these clowns in?

• Advertisement

Ardent wrote: »
    I'm f*cking livid after reading that!

I'm livid too.

I think most people would be livid. It's disgusting.

So anyone got an idea who formed this cross party delegation? Any names?

Ardent wrote: »
    I'm f*cking livid after reading that! Is that where my money is going?? Who votes these clowns in?

Greedy inbred Kerry people who are convinced that their Fella is sufficiently corrupt to pull a stroke and get funding for GAA stuff etc. outta the Jackeens.

- They fcuking deserve him down in the cute Hoor Kingdom; We don't :(

Greedy inbred Kerry people who are convinced that their Fella is sufficiently corrupt to pull a stroke and get funding for GAA stuff etc. outta the Jackeens.

- They fcuking deserve him down in the cute Hoor Kingdom; We don't :(

That's a good point.

:rolleyes:

Now, when you have stopped stroking yourself over how much brighter you are than Kerry people, maybe you or someone could advise on the TDs who racked up 8k each. For all your bluster, it's not that far behind O'Donoghue. And then we'll await your thoughts on the people of each of those counties...

Deleted User on reading back it seems as though almost every post of yours on this thread has attempted to deflect negative attention away from O'Donoghue and conveniently redistribute it elsewhere.

Even when your back is to the wall and some point or other has to be conceded, you'll suddenly try and negate it by way of scapegoating or some poorly disguised distraction tactic.

- Why not come clean, be honest and declare your actual personal interests in this topic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

why we are not publicly hanging these scumbags at this stage is beyond comprehension

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Deleted User on reading back it seems as though almost every post of yours on this thread has attempted to deflect negative attention away from O'Donoghue and conveniently redistribute it elsewhere.

Even when your back is to the wall and some point or other has to be conceded, you'll suddenly try and negate it by way of scapegoating or some poorly disguised distraction tactic.

- Why not come clean, be honest and declare your actual personal interests in this topic?

still no change Raiser? you seemed determine to see any attempt to point out that O'Donoghue as not being alone in this waste of taxpayers money as an attempt to defend him; it clearly isn't if you read the posts

I still agree with Conor74 that its a far broader problem than just O'Donoghue. These latest figures are probably the most shocking given the topic of the conference, its looking more and more indefensable for O'Donoghue

But this was a cross-party group (and I doubt they were all from South kerry...or even North kerry) and the others managed to clock up healthy expenses too while also at the same poverty conference. the average hotel room cost is over €400 a night

Its part of the reason that the other parties are not wading in calling for heads

DaDumTish wrote: »
    why we are not publicly hanging these scumbags at this stage is beyond comprehension

well obviously the sentence for staying in a more-expensive than necessary hotel room should be immediate execution..:pac:

Why not come clean, be honest and declare your actual personal interests in this topic?

Ah sure I'm his other mammy, pat yourself on the back again for spotting that one...:rolleyes:

I have said that his behaviour was "obscene", "outrageous" and about 2 posts ago "sickening".

Even in Kerry we know what those words mean. Are you not clear about them? Is there something ambivalent about my position? Should I make one of your points "he should be peeled of his skin" or "he should be covered in honey and chased by bears"

Riskymove wrote: »
    still no change Raiser? you seemed determine to see any attempt to point out that O'Donoghue as not being alone in this waste of taxpayers money as an attempt to defend him; it clearly isn't if you read the posts

I still agree with Conor74 that its a far broader problem than just O'Donoghue. These latest figures are probably the most shocking given the topic of the conference, its looking more and more indefensable for O'Donoghue

But this was a cross-party group (and I doubt they were all from South kerry...or even North kerry) and the others managed to clock up healthy expenses too while also at the same poverty conference. the average hotel room cost is over €400 a night

Its part of the reason that the other parties are not wading in calling for heads

Please reread the thread title this title and get beyond your serious cognitive crisis to realise that this discussion is not about any of the other serial offenders on the current Irish Political Dumbest Criminals list.

They will have their own "Hang the Bastard" threads in time - every dog has his day, and God knows they'll have earned them.

The fact is that John O'Donoghue is being pilloried from Cahirciveen to the Giants Causeway and beyond NOT because he is one of a kind, or even cause people recognise him as one of a bad bunch.

In my opinion he is the subject or hatred and disgust because even when he is surrounded by people who are dishonest, self-serving, on the take and morally vacuous - he STILL manages to stand head and shoulders above the rest :eek:

He excels at being a Gobshíte so much so that even when in the company of hoards of Gobshítes people can still differentiate and have the good judgement to detest his mode of operation that little bit more.

Furthermore he seems to have left an odious Slug-trail of opulent indulgence behind him that's sufficiently long and illustrious that its going to follow him right up to the Gallows of his Political Career.......

Please reread the thread title this title and get beyond your serious cognitive crisis to realise that this discussion is not about any of the other serial offenders on the current Irish Political Dumbest Criminals list.

ah i see because the media, and you of course, have decided to focus on O'Donoghue we are not allowed to have our minds or opinions or take a broader view

...it is in fact against the charter of this thread to talk about anyone else involved or the wider problems in the issues of politicans' expenses..

...unless we join you in simply shouting "hang him" and have a pitchfork and a torch or two we are not welcome..

...anyone who does not do this is automatically to be considered as a memebr of O'Donoghue's family....

...sorry I did not realise this discussion came under the "Raiser Rules Ok" charter

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

How was your theory about Kerry people as a whole relevant then?

I didn't see 'what do you think of Kerry people' in the thread title, did you?

Or are you only trying to limit the topic when it suits, and have these amazing generalisations and theories at other times?

If lots of politicians are on the make, do you not think that is relevant in a thread that implies that only one of them is screwing the system? I would have thought it more relevant than your judgement of 150,000 people anyway...

Riskymove and Deleted User I honestly think if ye both go and check out this link then we could all have a serious discussion on the topic in hand.

- I mean the rest of us :p

Riskymove and Deleted User I honestly think if ye both go and check out this link then we could all have a serious discussion on the topic in hand.

wow, Mr Pot to Mr Kettle: "you are black"

I think anyone reading the posts can see who is raving; maybe you should start a thread there, after all posts must agree with the rant under their charter

I think many of the rest would agree with my point that O'Donoghue's actions are outrageous, obscene and sickening.

Not sure they would agree with your theory that Kerry people are inbred and it's all linked to the GAA and 'cute hoors' in the Kingdom.

I know which I would consider raving...but of course I am biased...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Not sure they would agree with your theory that Kerry people are inbred and it's all linked to the GAA and 'cute hoors' in the Kingdom.

At this point, I would like to refer the jury to Exhibit A:

JackieHealyRae2-sm.jpg

• Advertisement

Stark wrote: »
    At this point, I would like to refer the jury to Exhibit A:

:D

I'll see your Jackie, and raise you a representative of the people of Dublin (and a bigger vote-getter too!)...

news-graphics-2008-_660911a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Touché.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭donkey balls

:D

I'll see your Jackie, and raise you a representative of the people of Dublin (and a bigger vote-getter too!)...

news-graphics-2008-_660911a.jpg

if we add a few more we could have a game of top trumps

It's a bit off topic, but someone from Wicklow slagged me for that whole O'Donoghue/Healy Rae thing lately. And their card trumps just about every county!

dick_roche_skangerland-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wonder if thats cycled piss...

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

I really believe that the Dick Roche fronting the last Lisbon campaign was a real factor in it failing , his arrogance is astonishing !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

...... his arrogance is astonishing !!!!!
    never mind your 'little dick' roche, anyone that heard conor lenihan on newstalk today would know what real arrogance is!

juuge wrote: »
    never mind your 'little dick' roche, anyone that heard conor lenihan on newstalk today would know what real arrogance is!

06 Sep 2005
    Conor Lenihan, Minister of State for Overseas Development, fell asleep while waiting for a scheduled telephone interview on TV3's 'Ireland AM'.

- I know of no finer example of dumb, ill-founded arrogance such as this fcuking idiot makes a Career of.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

i am/was a fianna fail party member but the sheer arrogance of some of them is way too much for me i think the way they are acting is criminal and i think they should all be shot

• Advertisement

i am/was a fianna fail party member but the sheer arrogance of some of them is way too much for me i think the way they are acting is criminal and i think they should all be shot

Do you renounce Fianna Fail and all the political forces of wickedness that rebel against the working man?

Do you renounce Brian Lenihan and all his evil works?

Do you renounce the evil political powers of this Island which corrupt and destroy the people of Ireland?

Do you renounce all absurd political allegiances that cause others to lose all respect for you?

- Go in peace my Child for you are now held dearly in the warm embrace of social welfare.

Advertisement