Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John O'Donoghue and his travel spending spree

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

am ya! ok so:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

He should be fired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 OldFFail

I think many of the rest would agree with my point that O'Donoghue's actions are outrageous, obscene and sickening.

Not sure they would agree with your theory that Kerry people are inbred and it's all linked to the GAA and 'cute hoors' in the Kingdom.

I know which I would consider raving...but of course I am biased...

I don't know about the "in-breeding" but there's no doubt about the "cute hoorism". Whatever it is, just look at what it has done for the kingdom, best politicians (O'Donohue, Jackie Healy-Rae), best footballers (too many to list), best authors (John B Keane, Brendan Kennelly), best tourist destinations ...

If that is what in-breeding does, we should all be in-breeding like rabbits.
    (It's OK Brian, don't get excited, we have already established that you don't have the equipment.
    Any "Leader in-breeding" in FF will have to be by your successor.
    Any chance you'll announce you're stepping down on tonight's Late Late??
    Please? Pretty, please? I promise that I'll never talk about you being testicularly challenged, ever again.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

Source: Irish Times

Ceann Comhairle John O’Donoghue has made a statement on his controversial foreign travel arrangements and expenses bill in his previous role as a government minister.
    In a letter to TDs this morning, Mr O’Donoghue described the costs of the arrangements as “legitimate”.

However, said he would refrain from becoming involved in public debate on the matter, despite his “natural desire to cross swords with critics in my own defence”.

Towards the end of the three-page letter, the Ceann Comhairle said he wanted to acknowledge that some of the costs incurred appeared high.

“I sincerely regret, in so far as I am concerned, that some of these high costs occurred, although a Minister or an office-holder would not be apprised of such expenditure at this level of detail either on an ongoing basis or in fact at all,” he said.

“It has to be borne in mind also that while some costs of the arrangements appear high and have caused disquiet, there were legitimate and in accordance with the Department of Finance guidelines.”

Mr O’Donoghue said he was determined to ensure that such costs were reduced to a minimum in future.

"We all learn from the events of the past and I commit myself to ensuring that this costs level does not recur in so far as I am concerned."

Solicitors acting on behalf of Mr O’Donoghue wrote to the Sunday Tribune last Friday, claiming that some of the information published in the paper on his ministerial expenses had been “totally inaccurate, misleading, exaggerated and disingenuous” and had “fundamentally misled the Irish people”.

Mr O’Donoghue was Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism from 2002 until 2007.

I didn't see the Sunday Tribune article. Were the figures quoted higher than other places?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Well I didnt really expect anything different in his statement , It will be interesting to see if FG and Labour accept it and if not they should refuse to take their place in the Dail as long as O'Donoghue is Chair. ( That is of course unless they have some extravagant expenses of their own they dont want paraded in public )

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Banter Joe wrote: »
    I didn't see the Sunday Tribune article. Were the figures quoted higher than other places?

http://www.unitedpeople.ie/greed.html

Jesus. The cheek.

He said he would furnish a reply. That is a reply only in the most literal sense of the word, in all other respects it's avoiding the issue.

FF having some meeting today. Someone should have a motion that the party might as well forget about it all until O'Donoghue and Coughlan are thrown out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Well everything's ok now then, he's said his piece so the media and the public can move along now, nothing to see here at all.

...and so ends a very brief but ultimately pointless exercise in daring to try to tarnish the reputation of a FF'er. All and anything related to this will now be dropped by all media, bar one or two hagglers who will only go on about it for a couple of times before they too drop the lot and this whole episode is forgotten about as if it never happened.

So...what's next ?

Really like, it is just a pointless exercise to even bother any further in trying to push any issues on or against FF - people must change their target to the Green Party if there is any hope of having this government dissolved sooner.
    Any and all attention must be focused on the Greens and complaints against FF of any nature must be pressed upon the Greens, not FF.

FF don't care, they know they're untouchable and will do as they please.

The Greens on the other hand, even though they are part of that golden FF piss circle will not be able to cope with the pressure.

That assumes though that the opposition, the media and other public figures are serious rather than just shouting their mouths off in a PR exercise as if to show they care and that they're "doing something".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think the problem at the moment is FF have so few votes in the Dáil that they need to keep O'Donoghue sweet in the same way as they have to keep Jackie Healy-Rae sweet. The only way we'll be rid of O'Donoghue is through a general election I reckon. Although knowing the voting habits of Irish people, they'll probably elect him as Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Stark wrote: »
    I think the problem at the moment is FF have so few votes in the Dáil that they need to keep O'Donoghue sweet in the same way as they have to keep Jackie Healy-Rae sweet. The only way we'll be rid of O'Donoghue is through a general election I reckon. Although knowing the voting habits of Irish people, they'll probably elect him as Taoiseach.

Unfortunately as Ceann Comhairle he's guaranteed a seat in the next general election without having to stand, so it'll take two general elections to have any chance of getting him out :mad:

• Advertisement

MikeC101 wrote: »
    Unfortunately as Ceann Comhairle he's guaranteed a seat in the next general election without having to stand, so it'll take two general elections to have any chance of getting him out :mad:
    ...which means he's also guaranteed another state pension on top of the ones he has already stacked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Given he has to represent and be respected by all within the Dail, would it not be best for the opposition, all of them, to call for a vote of no confidence on him ?

Even if they lose, it shows he'd have lost respect of the Dail and couldn't possibly continue in his position.

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

The statement in full...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0914/breaking28.htm

Willie O'Dea, John Gormley and Pat Carey when asked to comment "claimed" not to have read it. FG and Labour declined to speak to RTE's News At One.

Enda Kenny has commented on it. Think the general response was that he's a fine CC, but maybe a more fulsome apology would be better. Looks like he'll face no challenge from that side anyway.

If they criticise him too hard, he can just as equally hit back and claim the others are at the same act to various degrees (which they are).
    So expect nothing to come of all this.

As Walshb stated in another post about a similar case about the state losing money...
    Nobody can sack nobody here because everyone is in on the act and they are all watching their backs and each others backs, all at our bloody expense. It all boils down to a complete lack of shame. It doesn't exist any more in Ireland

See here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62095958&postcount=37

Which explains conveniently why...
    deadhead13 wrote: »
    Willie O'Dea, John Gormley and Pat Carey when asked to comment "claimed" not to have read it. FG and Labour declined to speak to RTE's News At One.

Long story short - they are making sure to cover their own ass.
    They will try their best by silence or as near to it as they can get, so say little at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Lorcan 17

As depressing as I find this chancers behaviour as regards his travel and expenses is the absolute deafening silence of our elected "representatives" of ALL parties . Makes me think that no matter what bunch are in power things wont change . What is the point in voting? .

I have to wonder why a Fianna Fail TD's statement is far harsher on John O'Donoghue than Enda Kenny's statement was.
    Source: Ireland Online

Fianna Fáil's Mattie McGrath has broken party ranks to launch a scathing attack on Ceann Comhairle John O’Donoghue tonight.

“It [the expense spending] is unjustifiable and he can’t justify it, behaving like a latter-day prince – travelling around the world in the Government jet, I mean it is outrageous,” Mr McGrath said.

“They were living in a different world and I have learned it in the last two years to my disbelief,” he said.

“We need a bit of humility here and a bit of contrition saying this was wrong. This is very damaging to the body politic as well as Fianna Fáil.”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Look lads it's a laugh , it's pathetic..these cnunts are takin the piss big time ...I say BIG TIME.

What can be done ? Where are our media heros when we need them..who is keepin the pressure on these shysters ?

Seriously ...who is ??

What about the mayo man..millin bonus and obscene pension for a bailed out org.

Seanie...still in his mansion in Greystones ?

The Bull.....did the fcukin complete dog on the exes over a number of years an promises not to do it again.

Bull****tt pal...pure fcukin Bullsheet.

We are not buyin it..time to go ....close the fookin door arter you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

FF tds know they are going to be on a hiding to nothing in the next genernal election, so Mattie Mcgrath is playing to the gallery of his local constituents.

The Minister for defending the indefensible, Martin Manser was wheeled out on Today FM...painful stuff.

John O'Donoghue squandered an average of 110,000 euros per year over a 5 year period on forigen travel and what does the opposition do, calls for an "apology". The only conclusion you can draw is - they are all as bad as each other. Unless the Sunday Tribune have more revelations to come, he has got away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

I have seen this O Donoghue creton at numerous race meetings, he always has a smug look on his face. How he can get away with such abuses of public money is beyond me. What do you think are the odds on him resigning? 66-1 I'd suggest! In his statement he said his expenses "appeared" to be excessive. My God.

As he holds the position of Ceann Comhairle he automatically retains his Dail seat next election. It seems we're stuck with him. Credit goes to Mattie McGrath also for being very outspoken in his criticisms's of the Kerry man.

• Advertisement

David Davenpower was far too soft on him tonight.

I think Jackie Healy Rae's comments about the cut in TD's expenses being a "pay cut" says it all. Expenses are not a slush fund to add to your salary, you're only supposed to claim what expenses you incurred in the course of your job, gob****e.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The ceann comhairle only retains the seat if they hold it when the Dáil is dissolved at GE time.
    Also, seemingly (according to the Phoenix) there is pretty much nothing stopping a debate of the CCs expenses whilst in a prior position!

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

JOD is sitting back tonight wondering when all this inconvenience that is kicked up by the media and the peasants is going to blow over.Any one who thinks that this guy has any respect for the ordinary guy in the street in not in the real world ..€500k in 5 years!

The Irish Times headline this morning is funny!
    O'Donoghue 'dragging dignity of office into mire'
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0915/1224254555667.html

He is dragging...???

Crap. The TD's have been doing it for ages for crying out loud!
    It could be said he's only following their lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Biggins wrote: »
    The Irish Times headline this morning is funny!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0915/1224254555667.html

He is dragging...???

Crap. The TD's have been doing it for ages for crying out loud!
    It could be said he's only following their lead.

It doesnt make him an innocent party in all of this. As Matt Cooper said yesterday, he didnt suddenly go "Oh my god - look at all this lavish - surely this must be some mistake"

Politicians are cute hoors and have been wasting tax money that you and I could put to better use. Im all for increased taxes to solve the national debt, but not when it gets pissed away on this type of bull.

Fair play to him for that "voluntary" pay cut. Im sure he just upped his expense claims to compensate. Even if he didnt, hes still paid too much to do a job that a trained labrador could do (bark when the Dail gets a bit too noisy)

I saw a thread not so long ago entitled "FF voters, apologise here". I will add my name to this apology list today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

It gets better !

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/odonoghue-political-adviser-costs-836490000-1886373.html?from=dailynews
    wrote:
    By Fionnan Sheahan and Senan Molony

Tuesday September 15 2009

EMBATTLED Ceann Comhairle John O'Donoghue has his own personally appointed political adviser, costing the taxpayer €90,000 a year.

That is despite claiming his office is non-political and he cannot engage in public debate on his lavish expenses.

Mr O'Donoghue's special adviser is one of six staff working directly for the Kerry South TD, even though he will be automatically re-elected at the next general election.

The former tourism minister created the post of special adviser when he became Ceann Comhairle in 2007 -- and none of his predecessors had their own press and policy adviser.

The revelation will raise further questions about Mr O'Donoghue's role as the independent and impartial chairman of the Dail.

Legal sources also indicated that there is no legal or constitutional rules preventing Mr O'Donoghue from commenting on his lavish expenses as a minister.

The Ceann Comhairle yesterday defended the enormous expenses he chalked up over recent years -- but was immediately hit by demands for a full and frank apology.

The former minister claimed he had no knowledge of the costs involved when he travelled on junkets at the taxpayers' expense.

Mr O'Donoghue's keenly anticipated statement in response to the controversy over his trips when he was minister for arts, sport and tourism did not include an apology. In his first public response to the controversy, Mr O'Donoghue said he acknowledged "some of the costs incurred appear high". He expressed regret at some of the high expenses incurred but immediately pointed out he didn't know about the them.

Mr O'Donoghue said he would endeavour to ensure expenses are reduced to the minimum in the future.

The Ceann Comhairle gave himself a pat on the back for taking a 10pc pay cut -- even though he had no option as the cut was taken by the other ministers who get paid the same salary.

Environment Minister John Gormley said the affair showed the need to reform the expenses system.

Fine Gael leader Enda Kenny said Mr O'Donoghue didn't go far enough in his statement and he needed to apologise.

Labour front-bench spokesperson Roisin Shortall said Mr O'Donoghue did not appear to appreciate the extent of public shock at the level of expenses.

The most withering criticism of Mr O'Donoghue came from within Fianna Fail. Backbencher Mattie McGrath accused the Ceann Comhairle of "travelling around like a modern-day prince" on the government jet.

The former Fianna Fail minister tomorrow faces the embarrassing prospect of having to rule out of order questions about his €500,000 expenses bill. Sinn Fein is due to raise the issue in the Dail when TDs return to Leinster House after the summer recess.

In his letter to TDs, Mr O'Donoghue said he stayed silent on the extensive media coverage of the affair to protect the status of his current position."As I have mentioned, the nature of the position of Ceann Comhairle as impartial chairman of Dail Eireann under the Constitution prevents me from becoming embroiled in public controversy in the media or on the floor of the House.

"This is why I am writing to you personally to assure you that, despite these constraints and the natural desire to cross swords with critics in my own defence, I intend to uphold the very high standards rightly expected of the holder of the office of Ceann Comhairle.

"I will therefore refrain from becoming involved in public debate and public controversy in my own defence in response to the recent media comment and criticism concerning me," he wrote.

Policy

Despite his protests about the need to keep a low profile, Mr O'Donoghue created a post of special adviser when he became Ceann Comhairle in 2007.The position is a political appointment, meaning the adviser is not a civil servant and is personally hired by Mr O'Donoghue -- at the taxpayers' expense.

Mr O'Donoghue's special adviser, Dan Collins, is one of six staff working in the Ceann Comhairle's private office in Leinster House. He was four secretarial staff and a personal assistant, all working on constituency queries. Ordinary TDs have one secretary and a personal assistant.

"The Ceann Comhairle's office has its own distinct role and Dan Collins' role as special adviser includes developing the Ceann Comhairle's role in the ongoing communications strategy, working to facilitate the Ceann Comhairle's engagement with representative bodies to increase public awareness of parliament and working in media relations involving the Ceann Comhairle's office,"

Mr O'Donoghue's adviser said. Mr Collins was Mr O'Donoghue's press officer when he was Minister for Arts, Sport of Tourism.

SERIOUSLY, when is enough...ENOUGH?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

Apparently some people in Kerry still hold O'Donoghue in high regard as they think he pulled a few strokes for them. But everyone else I speak to now thinks he is beyond redemption and needs to resign or just disappear out of our sight.

For God's sake, go! :mad:

This is the sort of thing we need mass protests over. Not just over O'Donoghue but all the TDs living like monarchs at the taxpayer's expense.

A political adviser at €90000 a year, paid for by us, for somebody that claims to be impartial and outside of politics. That's an absolute disgrace.

• Advertisement

donaghs wrote: »
    Apparently some people in Kerry still hold O'Donoghue in high regard as they think he pulled a few strokes for them.

If by strokes do you mean getting massive investment into South Kerry, absolutely. That's not a stroke, that's politics, and O'Donogue worked very hard at it. Show me the politician who doesn't work for his constituents please, and I will show you a fool. As for holding him in high regard, I assure you that number is fast dwindling from what I hear.

Advertisement