Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John O'Donoghue and his travel spending spree

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭akaredtop

Murphaph

I am with you. Nothing would give me greater satisfaction than seeing all politicians swinging from lamp posts. I get depressed when I listen to Cowen. He is like a politician from the 50's. There is no leadership or spark of inspiration from the man.You know nothing will change when listening to him. He does not have the balls to take on the unions or public service who along with the developers and the banks have bankrupted the country. He is a party man through and through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭optocynic

thebman wrote: »
    As perfectly evidenced by a drunk driving supporting, expense inflating politician not even been called to resign by anyone really.

Opposition are as bad, its a failure of our system that there is no accountability.

In any other rational country... once you come out supporting drunk drivers.. your name would be mud... ohh... but not here... and especially not in Kerry... where Jackie Healy Racist has your back too...

O'Donoghue stole our money... lived like Getty as a minister... and then supports the scum of our nation, i.e. drunk drivers..

Resign??.. He should be shot at dawn!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Anybody want to guess Mr.O'Donoghues whereabouts today?

Listowel Races! Im serious.

I will be amazed if hes not egged before the days out, or are Kerry people still holding him in some kind of esteem :rolleyes:

Sizzler wrote: »
    ....or are Kerry people still holding him in some kind of esteem :rolleyes:

No Doubt... a champion of the 4 pints and fast drive/race home... on a dark, winding, narrow road...
    He is most likely a legend down there!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sizzler wrote: »
    Anybody want to guess Mr.O'Donoghues whereabouts today?

Listowel Races! Im serious.

I will be amazed if hes not egged before the days out, or are Kerry people still holding him in some kind of esteem :rolleyes:

Alas I would wager it's the latter.

Edit: no need for that wager: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/john-gets-a-free-pass-to-races-as-locals-condemn-witchhunt-1886392.html . I don't use this icon very often but :rolleyes: is the only thing for it. "I mean ah for jaysus, he only robbed the country of one billion and those bankers robbed it of five and shur doesn't he love the races".

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

akaredtop wrote: »
    Murphaph

I am with you. Nothing would give me greater satisfaction than seeing all politicians swinging from lamp posts. I get depressed when I listen to Cowen. He is like a politician from the 50's. There is no leadership or spark of inspiration from the man.You know nothing will change when listening to him. He does not have the balls to take on the unions or public service who along with the developers and the banks have bankrupted the country. He is a party man through and through.

Totally agree, and if to prove that point, words straight from the horses mouth, his words just yesterday!
    ..."loyalty to the party" listed first, "service to our country" second, and "a determination to always do my best for the people" third.

HERE

The party comes FIRST - his words. The country second!
    Thats FF for you. :mad:

This thread is starting to get slightly hysterical. And yes, no matter how much I am reliably informed here that Germans are smarter than the Irish, and that Kerry people are the most stupid of the Irish, the suggestion of lynching is still the cyber equivalent of foaming at the mouth.

You know all this pretend rage and anger, has anyone here, say, turned off their computer and driven to Athlone to make their point? It's in the Dublin commuter belt you know. If people here won't get off their arses, why do they expect others to do all shooting at dawn and hanging? Maybe 'cos deep down everyone really knows that stuff is nonsense, and talk and all that huff and puff here is cheap.

Biggins, you make a valid point about O'Donoghue being a member of FF still. He is, sadly, more than that, he is a representative of the party. It should not be so, but it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

Biggins wrote: »
    The party comes FIRST - his words. The country second!
    Thats FF for you. :mad:

That's unforgiveable. Really. That man's running the country and it's not
    his top priority.

Murphaph, I think your ideas about changing to a system similar to the UK are well worth looking into, but I could never see it happening because it wouldn't suit the politicians and they clearly have all the power.

That's the main problem I have with all of this. It seems like we're fairly powerless to change any of this stuff. Let's be honest. A storming of the Dáil isn't going to happen. When the next general election comes around, FF will be gone but whoever replaces them aren't going to change anything (drastically anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 33 redhugh

optocynic wrote: »
    No Doubt... a champion of the 4 pints and fast drive/race home... on a dark, winding, narrow road...
    He is most likely a legend down there!

and when pulled over by the Garda he can say what Jimmy Mc Daid said after driving down the off slip road to a motorway "someone kept topping up me wine glass" LOL

I note this thread is turning into some drink driving morality thing.

Of course the only party that is really going after him stands squarely behind terrorists, murders, bank robbers and the like.

It's not a beauty contest surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I note this thread is turning into some drink driving morality thing.

Of course the the only party that is really going after him stands squarely behind terrorists, murders, bank robbers and the like.

It's not a beauty contest surely?
    You're digging a hole for yourself with the finger pointing at SF now Conor. I'm no 'RA head and that's for sure but you're only defence here seem to be "the opposition parties aren't going after O'Donoghue so it's not that bad what he did or at best, they'd do it too if they were ministers". FF make SF look positively saintly. At least the Sinn Feiners have some bloody principles. No, this is NOT an endorsement of SF, just highlighting how BAD FF are.

It's bollocks quite frankly. What he did is inexcusable and it is not HYSTERICAL of anyone here to be abolutely fu*cking raging with this carry on. We've had it up to here Conor, understand?

FF are an easy target because they are easily the worst offenders when it comes to snout in the trough politics. Hopefully the immigrants who came to Ireland will alter the demographics sufficiently to destroy once and for all the "traditional vote" rubbish which still exists on all sides.

murphaph wrote: »
    FF make SF look positively saintly. At least the Sinn Feiners have some bloody principles.

Complete and utter nonsense. I will use the word hysteria again.

Unless of course, in Germany they prioritise expenses and money over human life itself, and yet again you believe they are so right in that too!

And, in all the swearing and string them up stuff you spout, what exactly are you doing about it anyway? Is all the stringing up to be done by someone else? Will you be leading from a bunker in Berlin? ;)

Complete and utter nonsense. I will use the word hysteria again.

Unless of course, in Germany they prioritise expenses and money over human life itself, and yet again you believe they are so right in that too!

And, in all the swearing and string them up stuff you spout, what exactly are you doing about it anyway? Is all the stringing up to be done by someone else? Will you be leading from a bunker in Berlin? ;)
    Good man Conor. 2 hilariously humourous references to the second world war in as many pages. At least Germany has squared up to its past and I can (and have) visited concentration camps where all the tawdry events of the Nazi regime are held in open view for ALL to see. German people actually highly value their democracy because of what happened and pay close attention to politics and vote accordingly.

People do vote here in numbers and the system is such that elections ALWAYS take place on a Sunday to ensure the maximum possible turnout and postal voting is an option for all voters. Germany is in this regard more democratic than Ireland as everyone knows-the incumbent regime in Ireland picks the date and day of election carefully as to maximise THEIR turnout and minimise the opposition's (students away at college ets.).

I can't believe the arrogance to suggest that getting ANGRY (and I'm angry) over our taxes (yes, I'm still paying taxes in Ireland Conor) being squandered by John O'Donoghue and his FF cronies is "hysterical". You ask me what I'm going to do about it? Can I vote in absentia like a German citizen can? Nope. I must pay tax in Ireland and I'm an irish citizen but I cannot vote for the government which spends my taxes!

Anyway, look, I'm just using Germany as an example. There are countless better run countries than Ireland. I just know Germany well and can compare and contrast the two. So I can't vote, but I presume you've already got your finger on the FF button x in the FF box?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭Quandary

Hi All,

Ive read this thread through and it is utterly ridiculous to think O'Donoghue will get away with this legalised thievery. I mean ffs, he's come out with an "im sorry and ill try to keep an eye on it" apology!:rolleyes:

Bloody joke - both him and Healy R. Im from Kerry and am mortified to be represented by these charlatans.

Not that it will do any good but heres a link to his website if ye feel like venting into his spam folder:rolleyes:

http://www.johnodonoghue.ie/contact.php4

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Please stop making references to the Nazis in a thread about John O'Donoghue's nice days out. It's definitely an insult to somebody, probably everybody.

Good man Conor. 2 hilariously humourous references to the second world war in as many pages.

I'm glad you got the humour. This place was getting seriously angry. And not constructive stuff, but all 'boil them in oil, gouge out their eyes, an expensive hotel means decapitation' nonsense.
    At least Germany has squared up to its past

Good. So for the third time, in this great place which is untainted by corruption, what is Merkel doing about Helmut Kohl? If the answer is 'nothing' just admit it and we can get back to debating the problems here on their own merits without the misleading comparisons. I repeat, you introduced the comparison intially, don't keep avoiding questions on it after.
    People do vote here in numbers and the system is such that elections ALWAYS take place on a Sunday to ensure the maximum possible turnout and postal voting is an option for all voters. Germany is in this regard more democratic than Ireland as everyone knows-the incumbent regime in Ireland picks the date and day of election carefully as to maximise THEIR turnout and minimise the opposition's (students away at college ets.).

There were other threads on that conspiracy theory before, and great ones too about how the Yanks didn't land on the moon etc. etc. I must say I can't remember any party in Ireland holding an election on a Sunday, including FG or Labour or Democratic Left or the PDs etc. Would there (and this is just a hunch, tbh I'm not certain whether or not an election was held on a Sunday here) by any chance be any religious difference at all between Ireland and Germany?

Either way I' not sure of the relevance to John O'Donoghue and his spending spree.
    You ask me what I'm going to do about it? Can I vote in absentia like a German citizen can? Nope. I must pay tax in Ireland and I'm an irish citizen but I cannot vote for the government which spends my taxes!

Again, that is an issue for another thread. It is hardly something limited to FF or relevant to O'Donoghue's spending spree. I do take your point that what you can do is limited, but not everyone else here who is going on about violent reprecussions is typing from abroad.
    you've already got your finger on the FF button x in the FF box?

Well, I've joined in the blame game too. You blame the people in Ireland. They blame everyone in FF. They blame Kerry people. I blame those from the south of the Iveragh Peninsula who gave O'Donoghue their No. 1. What will we do with them? Can someone get me lampposts and lots of rope?

Again, that is an issue for another thread. It is hardly something limited to FF or relevant to O'Donoghue's spending spree. I do take your point that what you can do is limited, but not everyone else here who is going on about violent reprecussions is typing from abroad.
    So long as your FF goons are wasting my taxes I shall consider myself entitled to post here from abroad.
    Well, I've joined in the blame game too. You blame the people in Ireland. They blame everyone in FF. They blame Kerry people. I blame those from the south of the Iveragh Peninsula who gave O'Donoghue their No. 1. What will we do with them? Can someone get me lampposts and lots of rope?
    I blame the self serving crooks like O'Donoghue in FF and there like FIRST AND FOREMOST. The irish people need to do something about it. FF can do something about O'Donoghue though....will they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The most pathetic aspect of this is that - when questioned about this on The Late Late - Cowenard answered "That can't happen again".

Tubridy didn't follow up and point out that - as supposed "leader" of the party and the country - Coward is the ONE who should DO something to MAKE SURE that it can't happen again, AND should make an example of this scumbag by evicting him from the party and stripping him of any position.

Of course, Coward won't do that, because it puts the country before his party and gives him one less of a majority.......

Pathetic shower of ****!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

optocynic wrote: »
    The expenses are ridiculous, and as insulting to us all as it was for him to NOT apologise at all in his letter..
    In a way I'm glad that he didn't apologise as I suspect that it would have been forced and not genuine!
    I don't want an apology. I want a sacking!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Pretty much sick at the whole affair. .

O'Donohue made the mistake of getting caught . Thats the only thing that seperates him from all his other "buddies" in the cosy cartel that is pampered in the dail . .

Im not going to write a long rant as its obvious that EVERYBODY in politics is in someway morally corrupt. Thats the only explanation as to why the opposition parties arent jumping on this easy target against the government. Their afraid of getting some of that focus on themselves. Dont throw stones in glassehouses comes to mind . .

Saying that it happens in Germany, Britian etc doesnt make it right . .

I agree with somebody who said that its the public's fault that there is such an ignorant approach from our "representitives" with regards to how they answer (or dont answer) questions on their pay . .

I heard some Gobsh*t on Today FM today. Was it an O'Keefe (a FF Wa*nker senator) from Kerry. I nearly crashed my car at some of the putrid crap that came out of his ass (mouth). .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

Drumpot wrote: »
    Their afraid of getting some of that focus on themselves. Dont throw stones in glassehouses comes to mind . .

What we really need is an independant ombudsman to deal with incidents like this.

Having John O'Donoghue as chair of the comittee looking at overhauling the expenses system seems to me to be fairly similar to allowing a child have control over how much pocket money he's going to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Surprise surprise, the "special advisor" is from Kerry :eek::rolleyes:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/special-adviser-is-a-radio-expert-and-brother-of-former-rte-chief-1887279.html?from=dailynews
    wrote:
    JOHN O'Donoghue's low-profile special adviser is a brother of former RTE Director General Bob Collins.

Dan Collins (62) has a total Leinster House package worth more than €100,000, but was one of the last members of the political village to become aware that Mr O'Donoghue was planning a letter to TDs on the subject of his expenses.

Dan was born in Killarney, but grew up in Adare, Co Limerick, beside the post office which was raided by IRA killers resulting in the murder of Detective Garda Jerry McCabe, in 1996.

Like his brother, he joined RTE and was first a radio producer in Cork, where he stayed for 11 years, working mainly with presenter Caimin Jones.

He was headhunted to become chief executive of Radio Kerry, where he demanded high standards and achieved considerable success -- including a Jacobs broadcasting award for 'The Rambling House'.

In the 1990s, Collins was headhunted again to become chief administrator at Radio Ireland -- which was backed by 'Riverdance' entrepreneurs John McColgan and Moya Doherty.

Collins joined on the basis that it would become a serious talk-radio station to challenge RTE Radio 1.

But Radio Ireland was forced to chase listeners by dumbing down and embrace a new format which featured much more pop music.

A displeased Mr Collins walked away with what is believed to have been a major golden handshake.

Radio Ireland failed in any case.

Back in Kerry, he established Dan Collins Communications in Tralee, mainly doing PR for educational institutes, but was also involved in some work with Fine Gael until John O'Donoghue recruited him to act as his adviser at the Department of Arts, Sports and Tourism.

When Mr O'Donoghue agreed to become Ceann Comhairle, an expanded office was one of the demands he made. Thus, Mr Collins came to the symbolic Speaker's office as special adviser -- although the Ceann Comhairle is not expected to make interventions in political matters or any controversy at all.

An unexpected side to Dan Collins' character is a passionate interest in Lebanese art in particular and high culture in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

What I think is disturbing is that I feel I've been conditioned to find none of this at all surprising. Don't like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

JOD's attitude towards his entitlement to waste taxpayers money on 5 star hotels and 1st class travel marks a new low for FF(and that is some achievement) it is truely remarkable to see members of FF defending him!they have no clue whats going on in the country.what people have to swallow is that JOD has gotten awat with this and no amount of pressure for the media will change this....the ordinary people of this country who are fighting to keep their heads above water who are furious dont understand that their own morals and principles dont apply to this guy.How can you expect a millonare,big shot who is used of the high life to relate with a family who has no money and has to put on a brave face everyday to protect their kids from the fact the future does not look good!he look insulted that he was even asked about it on the news last night:mad:

bonzos wrote: »
    JOD's attitude towards his entitlement to waste taxpayers money on 5 star hotels and 1st class travel marks a new low for FF(and that is some achievement) it is truely remarkable to see members of FF defending him!they have no clue whats going on in the country.what people have to swallow is that JOD has gotten awat with this and no amount of pressure for the media will change this....the ordinary people of this country who are fighting to keep their heads above water who are furious dont understand that their own morals and principles dont apply to this guy.How can you expect a milloinare,big shot who is used of the high life to relate with a family who has no money and has to put on a brave face everyday to protect their kids from the fact the future does not look good!he look insulted that he was even asked about it on the news last night:mad:

"But... sure doesn't he love the races!!.. He's a decent auld skin really...
    A great son of Kerry!!"

That is why he gets away with it!...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 redhugh

This is what needs to happen to resolve this mess and further creaming of the current expense system thats in place for Gov & Public Sector
    All Government & Public Sector expenses should be managed and monitored by a private and independant body which should be allocated by tender say for a 5 year period, this private & independant company would be measured on its performance on how much savings that was made by sourcing better value in ways of transport & accomodation and reduction of unvouched expenses. Basically take the ease out of the claim process and make them answerable for each and every cent of the taxpayers money.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

redhugh wrote: »
    This is what needs to happen to resolve this mess and further creaming of the current expense system thats in place for Gov & Public Sector
    All Government & Public Sector expenses should be managed and monitored by a private and independant body which should be allocated by tender say for a 5 year period, this private & independant company would be measured on its performance on how much savings that was made by sourcing better value in ways of transport & accomodation and reduction of unvouched expenses. Basically take the ease out of the claim process and make them answerable for each and every cent of the taxpayers money.

Who do you think has to make the decision to go with this kind of Process ?

The very people who will lose the most out of these savings . .

Its actually in the hands of the public. If we want something desperately enough, we can get it. Problem is that we wont see any proper pro-action by the electorate. The same clowns will still be elected and the political will to hire a body to monitor their expenses wont ever happen unless this very issue is made imperitive in who we choose to vote for . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Couldnt agree less with this, another fuppin QUANGO to manage the politicians expenses is the last thing we need.

We need honest politicians that do not hide behind the "i followed the procedures set out" bullcrap. Odonoghue must be brought to task on his expenditure and forced to resign before anything else happens. Examples must be set but alas this will not happen as they are all as bad as each other, its like the whole ZOE group thing they are stalling until lisbon and Nama are upon us to distract everybody and hope it gets forgotten about.

And... of course the RFP procedures in our government and civil service are completely transparent??

Come on!!!... don't you know the company that would win the deal, O'Donoghue is probably on the board?!

More gombeen cronieisms is all that would lead to.

Look at the neck O'Donoghue has... I'm surprised he didn't ask for his expenses in a brown paper bag whilst wearing a ski-mask!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Can anybody explain to me why none of the opposition parties seem to be speaking out about JOD and his expenses. I have heard Inda Kenny and Roisin Shorthall on tv making some type of noise about it but none of them are demanding his resignation.

Are the opposition parties perhaps aware that if they speak out then their own waste of tax payers money will be brought up?

Advertisement