Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John O'Donoghue and his travel spending spree

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

optocynic wrote: »
    "But... sure doesn't he love the races!!.. He's a decent auld skin really...
    A great son of Kerry!!"

Contrary to whats written in the papers recently the people of south Kerry are absolutely appalled by the revelations regarding his expenses. Unfortunately there's still an element of thinking around here related to the civil war which will not vote for anything other than Fianna Fail. That is beginning to change tho as seen with John O D's brother Paul who scrapped in on one of the last counts in the local elections (much to John anger). He probably wont be elected in the next general election.

"I didn't enter politics to make a profit" - The mansion of a house that overlooks Cahersiveen, of which Haughey would be proud, contradicts that statement.

He has a reputation around here are a grumbling, arrogant individual who believes he is too important to converse with the masses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭optocynic

gazzer wrote: »
    Can anybody explain to me why none of the opposition parties seem to be speaking out about JOD and his expenses. I have heard Inda Kenny and Roisin Shorthall on tv making some type of noise about it but none of them are demanding his resignation.

Are the opposition parties perhaps aware that if they speak out then their own waste of tax payers money will be brought up?

Exactly... as happened in the UK with the initial Labour expenses scandals, the Conservatives said little about it... as they know their turn was coming too!

It's a big immoral gombeen club...

SeaFields wrote: »
    Contrary to whats written in the papers recently the people of south Kerry are absolutely appalled by the revelations regarding his expenses. Unfortunately there's still an element of thinking around here related to the civil war which will not vote for anything other than Fianna Fail. That is beginning to change tho as seen with John O D's brother Paul who scrapped in on one of the last counts in the local elections (much to John anger). He probably wont be elected in the next general election.

"I didn't enter politics to make a profit" - The mansion of a house that overlooks Cahersiveen, of which Haughey would be proud, contradicts that statement.

He has a reputation around here are a grumbling, arrogant individual who believes he is too important to converse with the masses

Then why the hell do they keep voting for him... is he the best Kerry can produce?

Apart from the marvelous Jackie Healy Racist!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭petergfiffin

He probably wont be elected in the next general election.

If you mean John O'D then he's guaranteed to get in as the Ceann Comhairle is automatically re-elected

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

If you mean John O'D then he's guaranteed to get in as the Ceann Comhairle is automatically re-elected

IF he is still in the job come the election

• Advertisement

Riskymove wrote: »
    IF he is still in the job come the election

Do you really think he will resign? It would be first for this country wouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Do you really think he will resign? It would be first for this country wouldn't it?

resigning is not the only option

but it will take a sea-change for either sacking or resignation and i wouldn't hold my breath

No, I mean his brother Paul. That was the plan from day one. John is automatically re-elected so Paul would take his place on the ballot paper. Running the two at the same time wouldn't work as the Fianna Fail vote would be split between the two of them which could result in neither getting elected.

And Optocynic, if you read my post again you will see why he keeps getting elected. It is based on civil war politics rather than his merits. However that is something that is beginning to change.

From talking to people around here, there are some people around here that wont vote for anyone other than Fianna Fail until the day they die (this is generally the elderly population), there are some that wont vote for anyone other than Fianna Fail but don't want to vote for them again so they say they wont vote at all. And finally there is the younger population that vote for the rest based on merits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

gazzer wrote: »
    Can anybody explain to me why none of the opposition parties seem to be speaking out about JOD and his expenses. I have heard Inda Kenny and Roisin Shorthall on tv making some type of noise about it but none of them are demanding his resignation.

Are the opposition parties perhaps aware that if they speak out then their own waste of tax payers money will be brought up?

To restate post 166:
    If they criticise him too hard, he can just as equally hit back and claim the others are at the same act to various degrees (which they are).
    So expect nothing to come of all this.

As Walshb stated in another post about a similar case about the state losing money...
    Nobody can sack nobody here because everyone is in on the act and they are all watching their backs and each others backs, all at our bloody expense. It all boils down to a complete lack of shame. It doesn't exist any more in Ireland

See here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62095958&postcount=37

Which explains conveniently why...
    deadhead13 wrote: »
    Willie O'Dea, John Gormley and Pat Carey when asked to comment "claimed" not to have read it. FG and Labour declined to speak to RTE's News At One.

Long story short - they are making sure to cover their own ass.
    They will try their best by silence or as near to it as they can get, so say little at all.

No, I mean his brother Paul. That was the plan from day one. John is automatically re-elected so Paul would take his place on the ballot paper. Running the two at the same time wouldn't work as the Fianna Fail vote would be split between the two of them which could result in neither getting elected.

And Optocynic, if you read my post again you will see why he keeps getting elected. It is based on civil war politics rather than his merits. However that is something that is beginning to change.

From talking to people around here, there are some people around here that wont vote for anyone other than Fianna Fail until the day they die (this is generally the elderly population), there are some that wont vote for anyone other than Fianna Fail but don't want to vote for them again so they say they wont vote at all. And finally there is the younger population that vote for the rest based on merits.

I did read your post.. I just wanted you to point out the stupid reasons the people of Kerry have for their voting habits...

I can't do it.. or I'm a west brit jackeen... or some such nonsense!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,041 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The chances of his likes resigning are about as much as the chance that Elvis will
    come back from the dead. He has a brass neck and no shame, isn't that why he and others like him can brazenly operate the way they do and then have the gall to be out and about without a care in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭petergfiffin

Not a first for this country...just for FF
    Riskymove wrote: »
    resigning is not the only option but it will take a sea-change for either sacking or resignation and i wouldn't hold my breath
    Not sure if he can be sacked and even if he could I don't think FF eat their own, too worried about him talking!!

walshb wrote: »
    The chances of his likes resigning are about as much as the chance that Elvis will
    come back from the dead. He has a brass neck and no shame, isn't that why he and others like him can brazenly operate the way they do and then have the gall to be out and about without a care in the world.

Yep....and the sad depressing bit is that they will get re-elected again by the same people that is moaning about too high taxes and levies!
    That's irony for you! :(

Biggins wrote: »
    Yep....and the sad depressing bit is that they will get re-elected again by the same people that is moaning about too high taxes and levies!

The Irish electorate are a strange bunch. "Ah sure, he did us a good turn or two, who cares
    what else he may or may not have done." I can see some sense, but we here seem to accept low standards all the time.

Are we REALLY that stupid as a country?... Seriously?

Are we REALLY that stupid as a country?... Seriously?

http://www.unitedpeople.ie/greed.html

There's your answer!

I did read your post.. I just wanted you to point out the stupid reasons the people of Kerry have for their voting habits...

I can't do it.. or I'm a west brit jackeen... or some such nonsense!

I believe that is a trend that you will see throughout rural Ireland and even in the urban centres. There is a majority Fianna Fail government in power at the moment - many of whom were elected at the last general election on nothing more than the party name or their own surname.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Statement just released by the Bull, this time he says sorry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

John O'Donoghue 'apologises' for the level of his expenses on official duty and is asking a copy of all his trips and costs be entered into the Dáil library

He should resign!

mike65 wrote: »
    Statement just released by the Bull, this time he says sorry.

TOO... FECKIN'... LATE!!!

• Advertisement

He can issue all the statements and apologies he wants...this isnt going away. The guy from the sunday tribune on primetime lastnight said there "is a lot more to come" on JOD's expenses.

Two statements in two days - he is feeling the pressure

Silly little things like bringing lots of employment to the area - 50 jobs in his own town of Caherciveen in the decentralisation of one department alone. I'm not sure jobs is a 'stupid reason'...how would you have swung 50 jobs into that area?

I think questioning his integrity and his excess is valid. And he should be removed. But let's not pretend that it was so obvious that the people of South Kerry of course should have voted Seamus Cosai Fitzgerald...in fairness, we didn't all know about the Cheltenham bill and keep it a scret from the rest of the country and stop anyone entering or leaving the area.

Silly little things like bringing lots of employment to the area - 50 jobs in his own town of Caherciveen in the decentralisation of one department alone. I'm not sure jobs is a 'stupid reason'...how would you have swung 50 jobs into that area?

The same way!... Don't pretend implementing decentralisation was JOD parting the sea!

He can issue all the statements and apologies he wants...this isnt going away. The guy from the sunday tribune on primetime lastnight said there "is a lot more to come" on JOD's expenses.

Two statements in two days - he is feeling the pressure

And so he should! He has no regard for taxpayers money - for example:

€46,000 approx in one 6 day trip alone! Madness.
    Not one but two trips to Southern France in 6 days.
    Not a bad job at all. He's on the pigs back for sure.

i6gp07.jpg

Just to put it into contrast.
    That €46,000 is someone's wages for a year.
    A nurse, a special care minder, a teacher, a Garda, etc...

The same way!... Don't pretend implementing decentralisation was JOD parting the sea!

No no, wasn't suggesting it at all. He didn't implement decentralisation. It was specifically getting the department into Caherciveen that was his input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Who cares, I'm sure plenty of corrupt people did good things to get themselves re-elected :rolleyes:

Need a Corrupt Politicians Out protest TBH. Hope he gets kicked out. He deserves it as do the rest of his kind that think the expense account is for anything they feel like while abroad on "government business".

Time to clean up Irish politics.

No no, wasn't suggesting it at all. He didn't implement decentralisation. It was specifically getting the department into Caherciveen that was his input.

So he brought his X-Men like powers of cronieism to the table... and convinced some of his fellow FFers to give him a slice of the pie?

"Come on... help the Bull out... I'll bring ye back some Duty Free... "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭donkey balls

And so he should! He has no regard for taxpayers money - for example:

€46,000 approx in one 6 day trip alone! Madness.
    Not one but two trips to Southern France in 6 days.
    Not a bad job at all. He's on the pigs back for sure.

i6gp07.jpg

Just to put it into contrast.
    That €46,000 is someone's wages for a year.
    A nurse, a special care minder, a teacher, a Garda, etc...

not going of topic or defending the cnut but when dick spring was 2nd in command he used to use the govt jet like it was his own private one and what about harney using an IAC chopper to open a mates off licence in Leitrim. ffs

not going of topic or defending the cnut but when dick spring was 2nd in command he used to use the govt jet like it was his own private one and what about harney using an IAC chopper to open a mates off licence in Leitrim. ffs

Yes, they are all at it, which explains the snivelling showers inability to act and sack and make heads roll. Just because they are all at it, doesn't mean we should accept this.
    The whole system is corrupt and it's not just those in cabinet positions either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

He's "embarrassed" now all of a sudden.

He should be made pay back the money.

And suddenly his constitutional position he was hiding behind has been forgotten about. Just a complete joke at this stage.

Advertisement