Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ibrahimovic to Barca/ Eto to inter

• 27-07-2009 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/8159267.stm

Looks like this deal is almost done. Anyone think Barca are nuts to be paying a reported €40m plus Eto for Ibrahimovic. I'm not saying Ibrahimovic is a bad player, he is very good from what i've seen the past couple of seasons, but so is Eto when he is not injured. Compare their goal scoring records, I just think its crazy. Ibrahimovic is only a year younger than Eto as well. What does everyone think about this deal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

There is some discussion ongoing here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055482408

Worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

what a rip off in barcas point of view....swapping a player for a player thatll score around the same amount of goals,also losing hleb and 40 million poorer:pac: well done jose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

i would have thought straight sswap would be a good deal for inter!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Im going to start a Colin Healy to Ipswich thread or something similar.

That deal has me stumped.

Eto scored 36 goals last year and I'd take him over Ibra. But then to pay £30m or whatever too, WTF?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

This is Officially the Worst transfer ever!

Absolute madness on barcas behalf, sweet deal for inter tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Barca's vice-president confirmed and explained the reasons for the price.
    Barcelona's financial vice-president, Joan Boix, has revealed that any figure for Samuel Eto'o above the €4.5 million mark would have generated income for Catalan club.

Boix, who noted that Barcelona valued the Cameroonian striker at €20 million, revealed that the main difference between Ibrahimovic and Eto'o is the length of their respective contracts with Inter and Barcelona.

"Eto'o had one year on his contract and 'Ibra' had five," he told the Spanish press at Ibrahimovic's press conference. "Qualitatively, we can say that they are alike, but Eto'o, in a year, would cost nothing.

"For that I think we valued Eto'o above what he was worth."

The financial vice-president said that Barcelona will pay Inter Milan €43.25 million for Ibrahimovic, a transfer the Spanish club value at €66 million.

Boix confirmed that Aliaksandr Hleb will join Inter Milan on loan and that Barcelona will pay 70 per cent of the Belarusian's wages.

Meanwhile, a medical examination underwent by Ibrahimovic at Barcelona revealed the player has a broken hand, an injury suffered in a friendly against Chelsea. However, it will not put the deal in jeopardy.

Barcelona doctor Ricard Pruna says that the club are "studying" the best way for the Sweden international to recover so that he can "compete as soon as possible."
    Add to this the fact that Barca wanted to sell and Inter didn't an it explains why they paid so much. IMO there is too much fuss about the price, it's around the same price as Real paid for Kaka and Ibra has been better in the same league for two seasons now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

It's a crazy deal imo. Eto'o is twice the player Ibrahimovic is.

It would make more sense if it was Ibra+40mil for Eto'o.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

dor83 wrote: »
    Ibra has been better in the same league for two seasons now.

To be fair, in Serie A, he has been better for at least 4 of his 5 seasons there in comparison to Kaka...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Nah I can see how it makes sense, this summer of all summers. They've gotten Ibra at a bit of a bargain considering the kind of money relatively unproven players like Benzema have gone for. As for Eto'o, well as was said, they'd have gotten nothing for him next year, and he would have left for the cash, no doubt about it.

• Advertisement

DSB wrote: »
    Nah I can see how it makes sense, this summer of all summers. They've gotten Ibra at a bit of a bargain considering the kind of money relatively unproven players like Benzema have gone for. As for Eto'o, well as was said, they'd have gotten nothing for him next year, and he would have left for the cash, no doubt about it.

We'd have got nothing for him in 6 months, and then we'd be a striker down at the Christmas break. Plus, IF Eto'o ran out his contract, he was entitled to something like 10 million euro from Laporta, so infact we should be looking at Eto'os market value at about 10-15 million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

eZe^ wrote: »
    We'd have got nothing for him in 6 months, and then we'd be a striker down at the Christmas break. Plus, IF Eto'o ran out his contract, he was entitled to something like 10 million euro from Laporta, so infact we should be looking at Eto'os market value at about 10-15 million.

Well there you go, point proven.

To be fair, in Serie A, he has been better for at least 4 of his 5 seasons there in comparison to Kaka...
    I was going to say that but thought it would be seen as bias coming from an Inter fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

I think this is madness. I rate Eto'o more highly than Ibra. Jose has said himself that getting €40+ million and Eto'o and Hleb is lunacy. Barca are even paying 70% of Hlebs wages. Eto'o scored 30+ goals nearly every season he was fully fit. Is Ibra going to contribute more than this? I don't think so. To warrant the €40+ million they've paid, they would want a vast improvement on Eto'o's goalscoring record per season, which is unbelievably unlikely.

I think Barca have been completely mugged to be honest. This is a very, very bizarre transfer, even in todays transfer market. There is no way on earth that Ibra is worth that much more than Eto'o. Perhaps the other way around would have been more realistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    I think this is madness. I rate Eto'o more highly than Ibra. Jose has said himself that getting €40+ million and Eto'o and Hleb is lunacy. Barca are even paying 70% of Hlebs wages. Eto'o scored 30+ goals nearly every season he was fully fit. Is Ibra going to contribute more than this? I don't think so. To warrant the €40+ million they've paid, they would want a vast improvement on Eto'o's goalscoring record per season, which is unbelievably unlikely.

I think Barca have been completely mugged to be honest. This is a very, very bizarre transfer, even in todays transfer market. There is no way on earth that Ibra is worth that much more than Eto'o. Perhaps the other way around would have been more realistic.

It's weirdly high but your last paragraph is wrong. Eto'o had one year on his contract and zlatan had 5.
    This can't be ignored, it's explained above.

Zlatan has to prove himself and I think if he does the doubters will willingly hold their hands up.
    But it's going to be INCREDIBLY difficult.
    Firstly there's the 30 plus goals to replace and then there's the perfect season to attempt to emulate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

As far as i know the left back Maxwell was part of the deal also but still i say that Jose is laughing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

JPA wrote: »
    It's weirdly high but your last paragraph is wrong. Eto'o had one year on his contract and zlatan had 5.
    This can't be ignored, it's explained above.

You are right it can't be ignored. However, for Ibra to be worth 43m plus Eto plus Hleb at 70% wages...Barcelona will need to win and not just play well. They need to win la liga and the CL, otherwise I don't know how you could deem Ibra money well spent. He could be top scorer two seasons running but that doesn't make him worth 43m plus Eto. You could of offered Eto the wages he wanted and had a top scorer for far less..

He'll do v well...it's just a crazy crazy transfer...and not good value for money at this point..

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »

Jesus Christ Almighty... Can nobody on this forum see that the financing of this transfer has more to it that just the skills of both the strikers involved. I've explained it before...

Even if you put aside your perceived opinions on their talents and look at this from a purely economic point of view. Eto'o is a commodity that Barca want to get rid of, he has one year left on his contract and Guardiola never wanted him in the squad, so straight away when you sell something you really don't want, you will not be getting the true value for the product. Now take Ibrahimovic, he is Inter's most valuable asset, and they DO NOT want to sell him, unless they get an offer they cant refuse (or at least one that they believe is worth more than their own valuation of the player). So when you factor in how Real have inflated the transfer market, and the above economics of both players, there was no way that the Ibra and Eto'o deal would go any other way. It's just a shame that they are getting an extra 40 million instead of 20-25... (But that, imo, is Reals fault)

Perhaps if both players had 5 years left on their contract then we would see a more reasonable valuation, and a straight swap would be on the cards, but Barca need to replace Eto'o, as he can leave in January for free, so they have essentially replaced him with another top 5 in the world striker for 45 million. Plus, we get RID of Hleb for a year, which is only positive in my eyes... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

Jesus Christ Almighty... Can nobody on this forum see that the financing of this transfer has more to it that just the skills of both the strikers involved. I've explained it before...

Even if you put aside your perceived opinions on their talents and look at this from a purely economic point of view. Eto'o is a commodity that Barca want to get rid of, he has one year left on his contract and Guardiola never wanted him in the squad, so straight away when you sell something you really don't want, you will not be getting the true value for the product. Now take Ibrahimovic, he is Inter's most valuable asset, and they DO NOT want to sell him, unless they get an offer they cant refuse (or at least one that they believe is worth more than their own valuation of the player). So when you factor in how Real have inflated the transfer market, and the above economics of both players, there was no way that the Ibra and Eto'o deal would go any other way. It's just a shame that they are getting an extra 40 million instead of 20-25... (But that, imo, is Reals fault)

Perhaps if both players had 5 years left on their contract then we would see a more reasonable valuation, and a straight swap would be on the cards, but Barca need to replace Eto'o, as he can leave in January for free, so they have essentially replaced him with another top 5 in the world striker for 45 million. Plus, we get RID of Hleb for a year, which is only positive in my eyes... :p

You make a rational arguement for why Eto is cheap and Ibra is expensive...however, it does not mean Ibra is good value for money...Barca paid too much..for all the reasons you just said..it's still too expensive and your rationale doesn't justify the prices paid imo...he'll still be a quality player..

The only way the economics of this deal pan out is if Ibra can bring a serious amount of commerical revenue to Barca..however I didn't think Ibra ranked up there as a commercial asset...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Inter have pulled off the transfer of the century here. Absolutely bizarre!

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »

Would you take Kaka + 40 million for Gerrard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

monkey9 wrote: »

totally, they trade one player for another player who is equally as good if not better and get 40m. maddness

So what was Inters approx valuation of Ibra? £60m ? £70m ?? A billion?

I'm assuming Eto would cost approx £30m in todays market

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

No he hasn't, 05-07 Kaka was the best player on the planet by a country mile.

rarnes1 wrote: »

Eto'o was anybodies for about 15million this summer, he was anybodies for about 20million last year and nobody would touch him.

Ibra is worth as much as Kaka and Ronaldo, easily.

Ibra >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Eto'o.

rarnes1 wrote: »

Moratti said before the summer that he valued Ibra at over £70m and wouldn't sell for less. Eto'o would have been about £20m because he only had 1 year left on his contract and Barca wanted rid of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

Was royally stumped at this transfer deal since the news broke, but posters above make good points. If the transfers had played out like below, it mightn't have been so strange:
    • Eto'o to City (for instance) for £15m, as mooted a few weeks back
    • Hleb to Barca on loan, since he reportedly hasn't settled and he's on high wages.
    • Ibra to Barca for £55m

In that case, we'd be solely debating if Ibra was worth £55m. IMHO, he ain't, but this summer has thrown the standard valuation scheme out the window. If Kaka is worth £56m, and Benzema is worth £35m, then is Ibra worth £55m? He had a long contract, as pointed out, so was never going to be cheap. You could even raise a counter argument that Barca did well by slashing more off his market value - whatever the blazes that is - by including Eto'o than they'd have earned by selling him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Plus, we get RID of Hleb for a year, which is only positive in my eyes... :p

That must be worth alot. Wonder how spectacularly he will fail at Inter?

Seaneh wrote: »
    Eto'o was anybodies for about 15million this summer, he was anybodies for about 20million last year and nobody would touch him.

Ibra is worth as much as Kaka and Ronaldo, easily.

Ibra >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Eto'o.

His wage demands scared some clubs away I think.

Ibra worth as much as Kaka and Ronaldo? I'm not so sure about that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Inter have definitely got the best of this deal

Why Didnt any onter clubs bit for Eto this year, or last year. His goals per game in very impressive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Haha Inter must be laughing..Eto stays fit and they have a brilliant deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

thorbarry wrote: »
    Why Didnt any onter clubs bit for Eto this year, or last year. His goals per game in very impressive

Wages. Very few clubs can afford his. The only clubs that could afford him, and would pay, (I would guess) are Real Madrid (he wouldn't go from Barca to Madrid), Man City (they tried, he didn't want to go), and Inter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Anyone think Barca are nuts to be paying a reported €40m plus Eto for Ibrahimovic.
    Me!

Tom65 wrote: »
    Wages. Very few clubs can afford his. The only clubs that could afford him, and would pay, (I would guess) are Real Madrid (he wouldn't go from Barca to Madrid), Man City (they tried, he didn't want to go), and Inter.

Any idea of what type of wages he would be on?

• Advertisement

Any idea of what type of wages he would be on?

Eto'o?

I don;'t know, but I know it's not the gross that's important, it's the net.

if he was making 100k a week at Barca, an english club would have to pay 140k a week before he'd have the same take home, and Italian clun would probably have to pay 120k for the same.

in reverse, if a player was on 120k a week in england and a spanish club offered him the same take home the would have to pay less than 90k a week.

Advertisement