Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I won the lotto !!!!

• 27-07-2009 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

I wish .

But if you really won the lotto ( just say €10,000,000 ) whats the first thing you would buy and where would you move to?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

BVB wrote: »
    I wish .

But if you really won the lotto ( just say €10,000,000 ) whats the first thing you would buy and where would you move to?

borads.ie and then ban you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I wish .

Misleading thread title is misleading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

mathie wrote: »

Are you sure he's a member of borads.ie?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Honda NSX R and move to Northern Spain. The green bit.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

mathie wrote: »

how did you know I was a member .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

I'd buy 10,000,000 more Lotto tickets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I can't believe that in all the years that boards.ie has been in existance, nobody has ever posted a "how would you spend the lotto?" thread.

That's why I come here; fresh and original thought.

(I'd hand in my months notice and then make sure my boss and co-workers knew I had won. I wouldn't go anywhere in the building unless skipping joyously. I would end every sentence with "but then again I don't really care as I've won the lotto")

piby wrote: »

But what happens if the next lotto jackpot is only €2,000,000

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Wibbs wrote: »

San Sebastian and Bilbao are beautiful and have lovely beaches but for me, Pamplona is the best city in the region!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 EL_Diego

Porsche 911 and move to Las Vegas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

piby wrote: »

those are not good odds. the possible number of combinations >>10 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I would buy out all cricket grounds and ban the sport. :cool:

those are not good odds. the possible number of combinations >>10 million

but if its €1,50 a line it will cost him more then €10,000,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I wish .

Make a guide for you on 'How to find the search function on boards.ie'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'd carefully consider the amount I'd give to my siblings. Some such as my sister deserve more than my brothers.
    I'd look at my parents needs and judge how much they'd need/want.
    I'd pay off the mortages for my friends if they would like that.
    We'd do the same for the girlfriends family/close friends.

We'd pay off the mortage for the apartment in Poland, then we'd look at buying a modest house here. We'd also look at starting a business there or in Ireland. A bit of travel at some point would be nice.

Once friends and family have been looked after I'd consider how I could benefit the local community.

kmart6 wrote: »

The only one i see is in cycling and I dont like bikes and also motors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Wibbs wrote: »

nsx r yes Spain ? :confused:are the roads any good there ?

but if its €1,50 a line it will cost him more then €10,000,000
    I think to work it out its 42!/36!~=3.8billion possible combinations, so then 3.8billion x €1.50 = €5.7billion you'd have to spend to guarntee winning jackpot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

Find a nice deserted beach somewhere, build a small house there and then live off the interest in peace and quiet.

After that I'd probably also buy borads.ie from whoever already bought it and do whatever it took to make it the most popular chat site in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

buy a grecian island

and a boat I guess

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

kmart6 wrote: »

With €10m you'd do that? Just do it now, live the dream!
    I'd go to Ducati Dublin, get about 5 bikes. Probably be dead by the weekend

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Are you sure he's a member of borads.ie?

Or borats.kzn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭chalad07

More wishes...

...sh*t, sorry - that's the answer to another silly hypothetical question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Or borats.kzn

Good old wwww.borats.kzn

(wah wah wee wah!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

I'd buy 35 houses in Tallaght and burn them all.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

My god Wibbs, an nsx r?! You'd have 10m!!

I'd buy 5 Bugatti Veyrons & live in them, like an itinerant with style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Germany
    Porsche 911
    Speed, speed, speed then
    Spend, spend, spend - no other reason for having that much cash

not an "it-would-never-change-my-life" person !

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

Some years ago a few of us in work are discussing what we'd do if we won the lotto. One of the lads (very thick) says that he'd stick his hand into one of the pressing machines. When we asked him why he's do something like that he said "I'd go to the boss and say look my hand is fcuked but I don't need to claim because I've won the lotto!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I'd travells Id love to go to Lybia, Cuba, Egypt, cape Ferdie, India, Pakistan, Himalayas few other countrys Id like to buy a yacht and sale around the cape of good hope .... id see the world..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭anti chris-t

I would buy several sports cars, take a few mates all expenses paid to las vegas then make sure i had enough left to do virtually everything i have ever wanted to do and just generally enjoy and good life and have enough left to ensure i never had to work again. Come to think about it dunno if 10m would be enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

yawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I would start a company that rivals my dad's one and drive them out of business by undercutting them everywhere. Not to spite my dad though, but to spite my uncle. I would Spite him good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

This is boring, but I don't care. Pay off debts first. I'd Move to the channel islands, become a resident, open up a bank account there (no DIRT). I'd invest the money, buy some shares in green energy technology, in particular wind power, infrastructure projects, hydrogen fuel cell cars etc... Buy a few houses in South Dublin, and buy a few shares in BOI (these are both cheap as sh*t now, especially in South Dublin with the recession and can't get much lower and BOI have a state guarantee). Live off the interest on the rest of the money (which would be pretty decent anyway) and when the time is right start selling the shares and property and make a killing at the end of the decade. I'd also buy an ipod! Boring as it sounds, but what's good about having a million? Having another million!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

Buy a hippy van first!! Id pay off my parents mortgage, buy each member of my immeadiate family a car, give thema few million each ( provided i won a good bit), bring everyone i love on a holiday, buy a house and apartment, a camper van or maybe an RV(like a converted bus), set up a few charities, oh and id tell my boss to go f@*$ himself!! :D

• Advertisement

Dexterm99 wrote: »
    Some years ago a few of us in work are discussing what we'd do if we won the lotto. One of the lads (very thick) says that he'd stick his hand into one of the pressing machines. When we asked him why he's do something like that he said "I'd go to the boss and say look my hand is fcuked but I don't need to claim because I've won the lotto!"

Fcuking hell, thats a serious thicko. Bet he was from Offaly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Anyone know anyone who won the lotto? What did they do with the money how long did it last etc.

Anyone very win the lotto? How much have you left? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I think to work it out its 42!/36!~=3.8billion possible combinations, so then 3.8billion x €1.50 = €5.7billion you'd have to spend to guarntee winning jackpot

maths is not a strong point for you is it ? ... the number of combinations is 42 choose 6 (Using the combinations NcR thingy on calculator - leaving cert combinations and permutations)

Its been done on Boards a few times ....I think that works out at about €8million to cover all the combinations or maybe its around 8million combinations which would mean about €12million to do all combinations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

yes, I know several people that won the lotto, here and abroad. The biggest amount was $10,000,000 and that person is still as frugel as ever with the $$... if you can believe that

If I won the lotto, I would buy a large van, and fill it with all weather military sleeping bags and foam, and I would go out after midnight over to the Customs house in Dublin, and in around Connolly Station, and give them out to the homeless... I would also have a mobile soup and sandwich kitchen that would give food out to these people.

I would then start a vegetable allotment scheme in a few different places around the country, and organise a system where people looking for work could come and work on an allotment for a couple of days, while still retaining the dole for the few days they didnt work. This would reduce greatly, Ireland's dependency on importing produce from abroad.. the money saved could then be put towards Crumlin hospital etc. (this would not be an expensive initiative)

I would then move to Tuscany

yes, I know several people that won the lotto, here and abroad. The biggest amount was $10,000,000 and that person is still as frugel as ever with the $$... if you can believe that

If I won the lotto, I would buy a large van, and fill it with all weather military sleeping bags and foam, and I would go out after midnight over to the Customs house in Dublin, and in around Connolly Station, and give them out to the homeless... I would also have a mobile soup and sandwich kitchen that would give food out to these people.

I would then start a vegetable allotment scheme in a few different places around the country, and organise a system where people looking for work could come and work on an allotment for a couple of days, while still retaining the dole for the few days they didnt work. This would reduce greatly, Ireland's dependency on importing produce from abroad.. the money saved could then be put towards Crumlin hospital etc. (this would not be an expensive initiative)

I would then move to Tuscany

Hope you win, but will you be able to afford to move to Tuscany?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

Elmo wrote: »
    Hope you win, but will you be able to afford to move to Tuscany?

I wouldnt be looking for a mansion, something average would do fine... its the lifestyle there that Id be after :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

After that I'd probably also buy borads.ie from whoever already bought it and do whatever it took to make it the most popular chat site in Ireland.

Isn't it already the most popular chat site in Ireland?

I'd move to Japan. I'm planning on doing that annyway but €10m would help out. Alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

If I won the lotto, i'd buy all the empty stores on the main street where I live and put my face in the window.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

nsx r yes Spain ? :confused:are the roads any good there ?

The coastal roads in the north east are perfect for road trips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭pablodunlop

I would purchase many leatherbound books and an apartment that smells of rich mahogany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I would save Cork City F.C. and build them a new ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I would buy a Supermarine Spitfire and fly it as often as I could. :D

It should be 42!/(36!x6!) ~=5.3million combinations x €1.5 = €7.8million.
    PCPhoto wrote: »
    maths is not a strong point for you is it ? ... the number of combinations is 42 choose 6 (Using the combinations NcR thingy on calculator - leaving cert combinations and permutations)

Its been done on Boards a few times ....I think that works out at about €8million to cover all the combinations or maybe its around 8million combinations which would mean about €12million to do all combinations.

Maths yes, statistics no. I tried doing it from memory from way back from the leaving cert because I haven't used those kind of stats since then...i made a little mistake in my formula, i knew the answer was supposed to be big, but i didnt know how big. And i'd prefer to be able to do it from scratch rather than depending my calculator

I thought there are 49 number in the lotto now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

1 Billion flogs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement