Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to buy iPhone 3GS

• 27-07-2009 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi - I'm looking to get my hands on a 16GB 3GS iPhone and wondering where is the best place to get one. I don't want to go contract with O2 and will probably get a PAYG SIM and jailbreak/unlock the phone. I have wifi at home so I don't envisage using 3G that much over the SIM.

So where is the best place to buy one contract free...is it possible on eBay or Amazon? Is it possible to fly to certain countries (e.g. Italy) and walk into a shop off the street and buy one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

aka_Ciaran wrote: »
    Hi - I'm looking to get my hands on a 16GB 3GS iPhone and wondering where is the best place to get one. I don't want to go contract with O2 and will probably get a PAYG SIM and jailbreak/unlock the phone. I have wifi at home so I don't envisage using 3G that much over the SIM.

So where is the best place to buy one contract free...is it possible on eBay or Amazon? Is it possible to fly to certain countries (e.g. Italy) and walk into a shop off the street and buy one?

your options are:

-buy one prepay in o2 /carphone warehouse , jailbreak and unlock(you would want to do that b4 the new firmware is released which will be very soon)

-buy in a country that don't lock their phones , such as Italy or Belgium

- buy an unlocked one online from the likes of expansys,..if you are happy paying around the 1,000 euro mark..and are a bit insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭aka_Ciaran

The prepay ones from O2 are 519 lids...bit steep. Was hoping to get one cheaper than that. Would be curious to see if anyone got one from eBay and how much they paid.
    cojomo2 wrote: »
    -buy one prepay in o2 /carphone warehouse , jailbreak and unlock(you would want to do that b4 the new firmware is released which will be very soon)

So what happens after the new firmware is released...does that mean it can't be jailbroken / unlocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Jafin

Try here
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-UNLOCKED-APPLE-IPHONE-3GS-BLACK-16GB-3G-S-UK_W0QQitemZ200356436032QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MobilePhones_MobilePhones?hash=item2ea62c9840&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A30

They're selling the 3GS for £590 plus £4.99 P&P. Havent used them before but considering buying a different phone from them.

Alternatively the Hong Kong Apple website sells them factory unlocked because no network over there has an exclusive contract and I think they ship worldwide.
    A 16GB costs HK$5,388 which is roughly €486 at the current exchange rate.

Hope this helped.

Edit: Just checked and they actually only ship within Hong Kong. Must've caught on that people in other countries were beuying them cuz I think they used to ship worldwide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Shopping outside Hong Kong

There are more than 20 Apple Online Stores in countries around the globe. The Apple Online Store Hong Kong ships only within Hong Kong. We do not ship to freight forwarders. If you would like to purchase Apple products from outside Hong Kong, please see our International Store Directory to find out if an Apple Online Store serves your country.

Doesnt ship outside hong kong. It would be great to find a site in belgium or italy that ships to here. Factory unlocked on the irish sites is too expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

jd83 wrote: »
    It would be great to find a site in belgium or italy that ships to here. Factory unlocked on the irish sites is too expensive

that would be great, i was just thinking that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

that would be great, i was just thinking that

You could fly to italy with ryanair just to get your iphone. I think they have flights to places like Pisa for free at the moment, just taxes and charges. It is an option and it may well be the cheapest! Sounds a bit OTT just for a phone but to save a few bob.....

Obviously, it'd be better if you knew someone who was going to Belgium or Italy who could pick one up for you

They really are a rip off on our online stores though. 1007€ delivered from Pixmania!:O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭aka_Ciaran

Ya was thinking of hopping on a cheap flight as well could be worth it...definitely too pricy in this country

Advertisement