Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vs on menus

Options
  • 27-07-2009 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering, does anyone else have trouble at restaurants where they have the little v symbol beside something on the menu but it turns out not to be vegetarian? I'm not sure if I'm just unlucky, but it seems to be happening to me every time I eat out now :(
    I was at an Italian in Dublin the other day and a good half of the things marked as vegetarian had parmesan in. Thinking back, I've had the same sort of stuff happen at a couple of pubs I've eaten in recently. Then there was the salad in a cafe that arrived with strips of meat in it, where the waitress shrugged said the V was a mistake (don't worry, at least that one wasn't in Ireland.) Then another restaurant where I asked the waitress if she'd tell me which of the desserts were strictly veggie and helped her out by saying that gelatine was the big problem. She said she wasn't sure about all of them but desert- I've-completely-forgotton-the name-of which always, always contains gelatine was definitely fine. Grrr. An outright lie. If she didn't know, she should have said. Oops, didn't mean to turn that into a rant.

I'm on the verge of going on a one-veggie crusade against lying menus, lol.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

The unfortunate thing is that when you go to a restaurant, the person who's prepared the menu and is cooking your food doesn't really know what a vegetarian is. I find that quite a lot of 'vegetarian' food in restarurants has parmesan (or even fish) in them. I remember being in Pizza express in Temple bar and they don't mark things veggie if it has parmesan, so at least some restaurants have a clue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Yeah, most people's idea of vegetarian is "no lumps of meat or fish", gelatine and rennet and stuff doesn't even enter people's heads. It's not deliberate like, but it is annoying. My advice is, if in doubt, have chips (except if you're in a Chinese, where, if in doubt, leave :P)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's annoying if a mistake is made, but it doesn't happen often to me. Just the occasional addition of fish to my meal so I bring it back. Recently a veggie friend ordered breakfast with me in town. They gave her the wrong one, it was mostly meat. She brought it back and the girl refused her saying, no, you ordered it. Even though she paid like 3-4e extra for extra veggie sausages. :S

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

One time, in my college cafeteria, the regular soup was put in the vegetarian soup thing. Set my vegetarianism back a time it did. "strangely textured mushrooms" I thought..... oooh.

Otherwise I haven't experienced troubles with maverick 'V's at all....(I've just realised it's because my friends stopped going to restaruants with me as much :( ) I guess your best bet is to just read the ingredients on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I wouldn't take that "V" too seriously at all. I've seen fish dises in "fine" Dublin restaurants followed by that V sign. V Sign indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Ouchette

Nature Boy wrote: »
    I remember being in Pizza express in Temple bar and they don't mark things veggie if it has parmesan, so at least some restaurants have a clue!

Yeah, the big chains are mostly pretty good. Pizza Hut must have done their research too because you can see on their menu that their veggie sharing platter starter isn't veggie. Obviously I'd prefer that it was, but at least they let us know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

. Recently a veggie friend ordered breakfast with me in town. They gave her the wrong one, it was mostly meat. She brought it back and the girl refused her saying, no, you ordered it. Even though she paid like 3-4e extra for extra veggie sausages. :S

That's really not on. Name and shame, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I've given up on most places. The amount of times I've seen dishes with parmesan marked as a vegetarian dish... And I've seen places mark fish dishes as vegetarian :confused:

The most annoying thing is when there's nothing on the menu that hasn't some form of meat in it. It has happened to me a couple of times.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Not a fan of kiss and telling. ;)

As for there being no veggie thing on the menu. that sucks, I've had to order 3 starters before!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

At a wedding i was at recently the vegetarian option was Salmon! the only other option was beef.

The bride is a fish eating vegetarian, i think she forgot that some veggies don't eat any meat.

Tried to get something else but the server was insistant that salmon was infact vegetarian :rolleyes:

I was starvin!!!

• Advertisement

At a wedding i was at recently the vegetarian option was Salmon! the only other option was beef.

The bride is a fish eating vegetarian, i think she forgot that some veggies don't eat any meat.

Tried to get something else but the server was insistant that salmon was infact vegetarian :rolleyes:

I was starvin!!!

Harsh, I've always been able to get them to make me a stirfry or something if there is nothing on the menu I like or can eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

what a wedding. damn caterers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

Pizza Express (Milanos) are very good about this. They have no v on their gelatin-containing sorbet, they know parmesan isn´t vegetarian, etc.

Geletin in a sorbeto! Say it isnt so!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Geletin in a sorbeto! Say it isnt so!

Someone's about to flip a lid me thinks...the revelation hit me as hard as learning i cant eat jaffa cakes no more!!

Well I think you can eat some brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Wait... there's gelatin in Sorbet? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Someone's about to flip a lid me thinks...the revelation hit me as hard as learning i cant eat jaffa cakes no more!!

Fear no more! Tesco jaffa cakes have the v on them :) But they have eggs in them... :(
    Wait... there's gelatin in Sorbet? :(

Not normally. How the hell do you put gelatine in sorbet? :confused: Wikipedia says sorbet and sorbeto are the same thing... It's meant to be ice and stuff that makes the ice taste nice! *is confused*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Aoifums wrote: »
    Fear no more! Tesco jaffa cakes have the v on them :) But they have eggs in them... :(

Yeah the Dunnes ones have the V too. Made with Pectin as far as I know. Not nearly as nice but it's the best alternative.

Not normally. How the hell do you put gelatine in sorbet? :confused: Wikipedia says sorbet and sorbeto are the same thing... It's meant to be ice and stuff that makes the ice taste nice! *is confused*

Yeah I thought it'd just be flavouring or even made from fruit juices. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

I've just learnt both jaffa cakes and sorbet are no no's in one go! this is terrible! I daren't ask this but...ice-creams still ok yeah? no gelatin?

• Advertisement

phic wrote: »
    I've just learnt both jaffa cakes and sorbet are no no's in one go! this is terrible! I daren't ask this but...ice-creams still ok yeah? no gelatin?

I think jaffa cakes or at least a lot of brands are veggie, have no fear. I miss poptarts though. Icecream is grand :p

• Registered Users Posts: 39,300 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think the problem alot of the time also comes down to the fact that some who call themsleves vegetarians are perfectly fine to eat dairy, and other animal products.
    That's fine, their choice etc, but it helps blur the line for laypeople

Mellor wrote: »
    I think the problem alot of the time also comes down to the fact that some who call themsleves vegetarians are perfectly fine to eat dairy, and other animal products.
    That's fine, their choice etc, but it helps blur the line for laypeople

Vegans vs. vegetarians
    Vegans eat no animal products at all
    Vegetarians eat nothing with a face (including weird fish faces)

I was in Maloti, behind the Stephens Green Centre, a year or 2 back and they had a V beside a fish dish. However, their menu was so daft (like reading snippits of a badly translated romance novel) that I forgave them.

They had a sweet naan bread (with ground almonds and sultanas) that was to die for.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Eviecus

I hate it when this happens. I'm the type of annoying customer that points it out to them. A lot of people don't understand that parmesan has animal rennet in it, I can kinda excuse that but fish...COME ON!!!! Since when did fish grow on trees?! I never saw a fish tree, maybe they're from MARS!:pac:

I'll be honest though...don't eat me...the problem is people calling themselves vegetarians when they eat fish. You are a pescetarian not a vegetarian...wow is it that hard to comprehend?!

Eviecus wrote: »
    Since when did fish grow on trees?! I never saw a fish tree, maybe they're from MARS!:pac:

I feel a Tar.A pic post coming on.
    I'll be honest though...don't eat me...the problem is people calling themselves vegetarians when they eat fish. You are a pescetarian not a vegetarian...wow is it that hard to comprehend?!

Yeah, I've often wondered about that, as in - why fish, especially?

I mean, you don't see too many people claiming to be vegetarian 'cos they only eat vegetables 'and chicken' or 'and mincemeat'. I mean you do indeed come across the odd person who claims to be veggie 'cos they eat no red meat but the vast majority of non veggies claiming to be veggie eat fish. Even among veggies, it's the flesh most missed (it was the only one I missed or failed with and I'm not alone).

Just an observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Yeah we were in Milano last week, was happy they realised cheese isn't veggie! Saba in town is great for veggie food, they'll substitute any dish on the menu with tofu or veg!So nice to have a full menu to choose from!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

What???No!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

The most misleading "V" I ever encountered was in some crappy fast food place that's now gone from Templebar (thankfully) but it had the green V beside the Turkey melt!!! Coz, you see, Turkey's are made out of plants these days :rolleyes:

The most misleading "V" I ever encountered was in some crappy fast food place that's now gone from Templebar (thankfully) but it had the green V beside the Turkey melt!!! Coz, you see, Turkey's are made out of plants these days :rolleyes:

*boggles*

We should really collect pictures of these menus and create a "Hall of (In)Fame(y)"

• Advertisement

learning i cant eat jaffa cakes no more!!

WHAT!!!???!!!?????!!!!!

I dont appreciate sick jokes Master!

Advertisement