Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bank Holiday Breakfast Deal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

It's a good offer but all this breakfast stuff is cheaper in Lidl:

Back Bacon 250g 7 pieces €1.23
    Sausages 454g (plus 25% extra free) 20 pack €1.59
    Black/White Pudding (not sure) maybe 99c x 2
    Low Fat Sunflower Spread 55c
    They forgot the eggs.... 10 Eggs €1.33

So €6.68 for the lot in Lidl including 10 eggs. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Good offer on the Bulmers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Bacon + Beer = Breakfast of The Gods....
    Bluetonic wrote: »
    Good offer on the Bulmers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    Bacon + Beer = Breakfast of The Gods....

Bacon + Beer = Breakfast of The Gods.... The Alcoholics......

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Good offer for branded products,but yes some eggs would have been better instead of the Dairygold.
    Plus i`m not a fan of black pudding :D!
    I can see the likes of Shaws doing permanent reductions soon to stay afloat,even the Tesco finest and Dunnes Simply better ranges are still too dear!

Oh and if you want a good deal on your eggs and your a Free range fan like myself,Centra have their 6 pack on offer for E1 ;).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

Oracle wrote: »

All well and good, but Lidl food isnt real food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

slemons wrote: »
    All well and good, but Lidl food isnt real food.

Example?

It all tastes wrong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Oracle wrote: »

You can't compare Lidl stuff against Shaws. Like comparing a Merc with a Trabant.

Check the ingredients of the Lidl sausages. How much pork is actually in it? And what other crap is in it (MSG for instance)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭crushproof

bazwaldo wrote: »
    You can't compare Lidl stuff against Shaws. Like comparing a Merc with a Trabant.

Check the ingredients of the Lidl sausages. How much pork is actually in it? And what other crap is in it (MSG for instance)?

Shaws sausages are horrible in my opinion, they seem to go off very quickly and have a terrible taste off them, I'd say the pork content is only around 57% (same as denny etc). Had Lidl sausages plenty of times are better then Shaws but wouldn't be high quality.
    Decent sausages need at least 70%/80% content...superquinn and dunnes simply better ranges are quality, as are you're local butchers! :D
    Plenty of sausage offers around butchers these days if you look hard!

• Advertisement

I agree, shaws sausages are the worst I have ever tasted. (and that includes Tesco value sausages) Nicest are them sausages you get from the sausage place in the English Market, expensive but worth it imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Don't know about sausages in particular, but in general the quality of food in LIDL is excellent. Anyway, if it's good enough for the Germans...

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

greendom wrote: »
    Don't know about sausages in particular, but in general the quality of food in LIDL is excellent. Anyway, if it's good enough for the Germans...

+1. Food quality is excellent in LIDL and ALDI. Had LIDL sausages yesterday and they were really nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

Dexterm99 wrote: »
    +1. Food quality is excellent in LIDL and ALDI. Had LIDL sausages yesterday and they were really nice.
    +1 German = Sausages

Irish could equal under-developed taste buds ;)

Just because something tastes good or lasts long doesn't mean its quality. Low meat content, much added salt, MSG and preservative tastes lovely. You just won't live as long.

And I'm not complaining about LIDL in general or their German sausages. I buy stuff there regularly but check ingredients. The Irish breakfast ones they have are made in Ireland afaik so whether they are good enough for the germans is debatable as they never reach Germany.

Just because something tastes good or lasts long doesn't mean its quality. Low meat content, much added salt, MSG and preservative tastes lovely. You just won't live as long.

And I'm not complaining about LIDL in general or their German sausages. I buy stuff there regularly but check ingredients. The Irish breakfast ones they have are made in Ireland afaik so whether they are good enough for the germans is debatable as they never reach Germany.

Yes high meat content sausages are well known for their life-preserving qualities

Yes high meat content sausages are well known for their life-preserving qualities

FFS. Ignore the actual point I'm making why don't ye :mad:

FFS. Ignore the actual point I'm making why don't ye :mad:

Well I admit I don't know the comparative meat, salt etc content of SV or Lidl sausages; the point I was making though is that if you're concerned about healthy eating, sausages won't appear on your shopping list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Frankfurters, for example, are 79%, and their bockwurst and bratwurst are at least that - I've had them before (and they're very tasty!) Other ingredients similar to other sausages. That said, I've not had their "irish breakfast sausages" so will refrain from commenting on those.

Anyway, we stray off-topic! It's still not bad value, particularly if you've not got a Lidldi handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Never been a fan of Shaws breakfast products either.

Its denny Gold Medal/Superquinn Sausages and Gaeltee rashers for me.

• Advertisement

I cant believe im reading this...
    How anyone could say the food qality in Lidl/Aldi is good is beyond me?

You really need to wise up; not only is the quality excellent, it's a damn sight cheaper as well. Not saying everything there is to everyone's taste but the quality is as good as anything you'll find in other stores

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭podge3

You really need to wise up; not only is the quality excellent, it's a damn sight cheaper as well. Not saying everything there is to everyone's taste but the quality is as good as anything you'll find in other stores
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭dmaxontour

podge3 wrote: »
    +1

+ 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭crushproof

Have you ever even shopped in Lidl or Aldi???
    Chances are you've eaten/drunk and enjoyed some quality Lidl/Aldi grub or drink at some party or another! Claiming that their food is of poor quality is just pure ignorance.

Of course i havent.
    Im basing everything i say on pure speculation. ;)

Lads, you are what you eat.
    Im not saying any more on it.

Lol at being called ignorant.
    Fill yere boots guys...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I would actually question the amount of pork in the shaws sausages as well if you are going to say anything as they mightn't have as much as you think either

Of course i havent.

Fill yere boots guys...

Did you have a bad experience with LIDL or ALDI? What are you basing your opinion on?

I think people need to get their heads around this. The food is as good or better than you will get in the other supermarkets. Don't just take my word for it, go try it out for yourself. The quality and ingredients are not below par. Don't confuse the prices with quality.

I too had doubts about the quality of food when they both arrived in Ireland as I'm sure many people did. But if you go to a store now you can see how popular they are.

But they are good enough for the Irish?

Sausages are probably not the best example to use if you are talking about low meat content etc as all brands would then come under scrutiny.

If the sausages were made in Germany or somewhere else, we'd have the same people whinging that they were inferior because they were not produced in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Of course i havent.

Fill yere boots guys...

Come on then laugh at us for our stupidity in buying at LIDL and ALDI. But where is your proof that the food there is worse. I don't believe you have any but I'll be interested to see you try to find some...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

I remember an interview on the radio with a Denny's spokesperson, they were debating whether or not there was a difference between all the brands of sausages and rashers, etc. and he said people go with Denny's because of the flavour of the products.

He never at any point said that the contents in the sausages and rashers were superior!

I don't eat chicken anymore because I really don't trust the sources and where I live I don't know where to go to be guaranteed Free range, real chicken.

Are you guaranteed if you buy sausages in the butcher that they will be top quality with nothing bad added?

Sausages?
    Lads - sausages are not food.

A good rule of thumb is anything that comes in a plastic packet is not food.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

My dear man have you ever gone to Lidl, if you look at there sausages they have the higest percentage of pork in any sausage in Ireland i think its 85% pork as compared to 45% with galtee, so i would advise you to check your facts before you complain about Lidl, Lidl and aldi have in fact some of the most premuim food in Ireland as opposed to the pure muck tha passes for food in Tesco.

Oh by the way ill set you a challege on the sausages, pudding and rashers and any other meat based product you like, you pick the premuim brands in tesco or dunnes and quate me the meat content and ill do the same for aldi and lidl, i will win hands down.

God help us you really are brainwashed by branding and the big supermarkets are you, most food in Lidl and aldi is far superior than anything you will find in dunnes or espically tesco.

My dear man have you ever gone to Lidl, if you look at there sausages they have the higest percentage of pork in any sausage in Ireland i think its 85% pork as compared to 45% with galtee, so i would advise you to check your facts before you complain about Lidl, Lidl and aldi have in fact some of the most premuim food in Ireland as opposed to the pure muck tha passes for food in Tesco.

Oh by the way ill set you a challege on the sausages, pudding and rashers and any other meat based product you like, you pick the premuim brands in tesco or dunnes and quate me the meat content and ill do the same for aldi and lidl, i will win hands down.

So according to you, "Sausages 454g (plus 25% extra free) 20 pack €1.59" are 85% pork. LOL! Do they use flying pigs?

Maybe I was a bit ambiguous with my rant. I am not complaining about Aldi or Lidl. I buy loads of stuff in Aldi in particular. My point was that you can't compare Shaws with Irish breakfast sausages from Lidl. Not because Lidls taste bad, I'm sure they taste way better in fact. They are completely different sausages, like you can't say all cars are alike, just because they are cars. Maybe comparing a Merc and Trabant was a bit OTT, but without the proof of seeing the labels in front on me, I reckon Shaws have much more pork meat in them. (80% for Shaws)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Irish people have very bland tastes in food mostly so when we eat something that tastes 'funny' we automically dismiss it. This is why people can say Aldi/ Lidl's food is worse quality, because its not what they are used to.

However if you want better value for money, they can't be beaten, and people need to realise that we are being ripped off in the other chains. if you don't like all the things in LIl's/ Aldi's then get the stuff they can't possibly go wrong with(e.g. Milk, Eggs etc.) and then buy your normal shop stuffs, you will still save a packet :P

I just happened to have the aforementioned
    Sausages 454g (plus 25% extra free) 20 pack
    in my fridge and its 57% pork. However these are the lidl ones and are not as nice as the aldi ones. I don't really eat sausages anyway (except them delicious English Market ones)

lindtee wrote: »
    I just happened to have the aforementioned

in my fridge and its 57% pork. However these are the lidl ones and are not as nice as the aldi ones. I don't really eat sausages anyway (except them delicious English Market ones)

They also sell a premium brand of Irish sausage with a much higher meat content

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

To be fair, there has been two programmes on British TV recently about quality of food etc, and Lidl and Aldi both consistently came near the bottom in terms of meat content in products etc. One that springs to mind is Lidl's 'premium' mince which had double the claimed 10% fat. As a weekly Lidl/Aldi shopper for years, I was pretty surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Tesco have a breakfast deal aswell:
    Denny Gold Medal Sausages
    Denny rashers 6pk traditional,maple cured or smoked,
    Denny black or white pudding
    for €4

• Advertisement

So according to you, "Sausages 454g (plus 25% extra free) 20 pack €1.59" are 85% pork. LOL! Do they use flying pigs?

Maybe I was a bit ambiguous with my rant. I am not complaining about Aldi or Lidl. I buy loads of stuff in Aldi in particular. My point was that you can't compare Shaws with Irish breakfast sausages from Lidl. Not because Lidls taste bad, I'm sure they taste way better in fact. They are completely different sausages, like you can't say all cars are alike, just because they are cars. Maybe comparing a Merc and Trabant was a bit OTT, but without the proof of seeing the labels in front on me, I reckon Shaws have much more pork meat in them. (80% for Shaws)

Alright Buddy im going to go into town later and ill find out the meat content in shaws sausages and Lidl sausages and i will report back, i have no doubt whatsoever that Lidle sausages will have more meat content. You up for the challenge:D?

To be fair, there has been two programmes on British TV recently about quality of food etc, and Lidl and Aldi both consistently came near the bottom in terms of meat content in products etc. One that springs to mind is Lidl's 'premium' mince which had double the claimed 10% fat. As a weekly Lidl/Aldi shopper for years, I was pretty surprised.

Oh yeah you forget to mention that the Brits dont like ze Germans and will do anything to make them look bad, of course Tesco is the worst muck of food you will ever buy, take for example the steak you get in Tesco, i have never seen such muck in all my life, it actually boils in the frying pan as opposed to frying, now take the Aldi steaks 2 for 10 euro, there 2 weeks matured and vacum packed and nice big steaks and all traced back to the farmer, i have never in my life had such nice steaks think restraunt quality steaks.

One that springs to mind is Lidl's 'premium' mince which had double the claimed 10% fat.

That was the food that sprang to mind immediately.
    You can see the fat pouring out of the stuff.
    And it tastes like leather.

As far as I can see, Lidl sell mainly junk food. Things like Burgers, sausages, crisps, party food, salted meats, buns, cakes, chocolate, some veg that wasnt produced in any country afaik, very poor quality meat.

It may or may not be better than Tesco/Dunnes.
    Who cares?
    Its all still junk on a relative scale.

Tecso Dunnes however also sell good quality food that can be traced back to an actual farm and an actual animal. The same with their veg, milk, eggs.

There is a very good reason why this costs more. Its proper healthy food.

Anyways... Nothing to do with me. I've said way too much already.
    Good Luck with it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Oh yeah you forget to mention that the Brits dont like ze Germans and will do anything to make them look bad, of course Tesco is the worst muck of food you will ever buy, take for example the steak you get in Tesco, i have never seen such muck in all my life, it actually boils in the frying pan as opposed to frying, now take the Aldi steaks 2 for 10 euro, there 2 weeks matured and vacum packed and nice big steaks and all traced back to the farmer, i have never in my life had such nice steaks think restraunt quality steaks.

Come on, accusing British television of blatantly lieing about the meat content of (More then likely British) goods in a German-run store is a little bit cliche, no?

You'd need a little more evidence.

(80% for Shaws)
    lindtee wrote: »
    I just happened to have the aforementioned in my fridge and its 57% pork. However these are the lidl ones and are not as nice as the aldi ones.
    Alright Buddy im going to go into town later and ill find out the meat content in shaws sausages and Lidl sausages and i will report back, i have no doubt whatsoever that Lidle sausages will have more meat content. You up for the challenge:D?

80% vs 57%. Wheres the challenge? The sausages in question were the "Sausages 454g (plus 25% extra free) 20 pack €1.59". Sure they may do others with 80%+ (bratwurst etc) but they are not what was compared in the second post of this thread.

80% vs 57%. Wheres the challenge? The sausages in question were the "Sausages 454g (plus 25% extra free) 20 pack €1.59". Sure they may do others with 80%+ (bratwurst etc) but they are not what was compared in the second post of this thread.

LOL you are talking about complety diffrent sausages there the 20 sausage pack, how many sausages do you get with shaws? now lets compare the same amount of sausages as Lidl has a lot of diffrent types of Sausages the same as any supermarket, i will look later for the pack that has 6-8 sasuages the same as shaws and tell you the meat content.

Was just down in my local Lidl (packed to the rafters all 5 checkouts open) and i saw these sausages for 1.65 that were 80% pork and they were not in some plastic wrap but in a nice case, beat that with your shaws sausages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Sad that so many Irish people taste with their eyes. Disregard lesser known brands before tasting.

I buy all my meat in my local butchers. 18 medium eggs for €1.99 :) and everything else I buy in Lidl/Aldi.
    Veggies are 100% better than Tesco. The tomatoes in lidl actually smell like tomatoes. Anyone who has smelt a tomatoe plant will know what I am talking about. Smell tesco tomatoes, nothing, people seem to ignore that 90% of 'fresh' veg & Furit in tesco has no smell.

As for ingredients on the pack, they are regulated by people we can trust? If you all think so :) I don't check the ingredients, my family aren't allergic to anything so no need to. But I guess tasting with your eyes, you'd have to read the ingredients.

Irish people trust their eyes more than their taste buds when it comes to food...
    Funny thing is, we will drink any alcoholic drink, none of them come with ingredients but no problem there right, they have our health interests in mind.

Enjoy your debate guys
    Lidl/Aldi for the win

As for Irish produced, we sold ourselves to Europe, so why get National now :)
    Fore-Fathers fought for independence, we voted it away :(

I see none of the lidl and aldi complainers havent posted since i caught them out on the sausages:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Someone over on AskAboutMoney.com forum, says Lidl's black (and presumably white) pudding is made by Shaws, because it has the same EU identifier number on the pack:
    ....and we bought a black pudding in LIDL that had the same EU Identifier number as Shaw's (tasted like Shaws too!).

So much for the difference in quality some people are posting about. I think the sausages are made by a leading brand manufacturer as well. As already said, they're 57% pork, the same percentage as the premium brands.

Don't forget some lovely grilled Vine Tomatoes to go with the Bacon, Egg and Sausage, they're just 79c per pack now at Aldi.... mmmm...... :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement